Jump to topic:

Desert island metaphor.

Rockylightning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2010 10:55:42 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
A group of people are stranded on a desert island.they have no idea how they got there. They wander around for a while, dazed and confused about why they are there. One man feels the need for an explanation. He sits down on a rock and thinks. Another man sets about the island looking for clues. The thinker says finally "eureaka! We must have been put here! It's obvious, we all are made perfectly to survive on this island. It just fills in the gap perfectly!" this explanation satisfies the thinker and a few other people. The other man however has found pieces of brightly colored material around the island. He notices the material seems to sit on top of water. He says "maybe we floated here on one of these things". The thinker rejects the idea saying "thats proposterous, my plan answers the question perfectly!" the other man says "its not perfect but it makes a lot more sense. The other man evev proposed that there could be other islands, maybe other people. But the thinker rejects that saying: "no we are alone, someone put us here for a reason." because he is now confronted with new questions to answer.

the other man builds a boat out of his scraps and sails across the sea with the other people. They now realize that the island they thought was huge, is just a tiny speck in the ocean. And that greater landforms existed where smarter people lived.

sound familiar?
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2010 11:42:27 PM
At 9/25/2010 10:55:42 PM, Rockylightning wrote:
A group of people are stranded on a desert island.they have no idea how they got there. They wander around for a while, dazed and confused about why they are there. One man feels the need for an explanation. He sits down on a rock and thinks. Another man sets about the island looking for clues. The thinker says finally "eureaka! We must have been put here! It's obvious, we all are made perfectly to survive on this island. It just fills in the gap perfectly!" this explanation satisfies the thinker and a few other people. The other man however has found pieces of brightly colored material around the island. He notices the material seems to sit on top of water. He says "maybe we floated here on one of these things". The thinker rejects the idea saying "thats proposterous, my plan answers the question perfectly!" the other man says "its not perfect but it makes a lot more sense. The other man evev proposed that there could be other islands, maybe other people. But the thinker rejects that saying: "no we are alone, someone put us here for a reason." because he is now confronted with new questions to answer.

the other man builds a boat out of his scraps and sails across the sea with the other people. They now realize that the island they thought was huge, is just a tiny speck in the ocean. And that greater landforms existed where smarter people lived.

sound familiar?

How did they come to not know how they got there?
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2010 11:44:14 PM

sound familiar?

Maybe like another poorly thought out analogy, yeah.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2010 11:47:16 PM
At 9/25/2010 11:42:27 PM, jharry wrote:

sound familiar?

How did they come to not know how they got there?

Not being able to explain this is to say that somewhere in time people just showed up in an instant with no knowledge of where they came from. That fails in either belief system concerning origins.
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2010 11:48:09 PM
At 9/25/2010 11:44:14 PM, popculturepooka wrote:

sound familiar?

Pretty much.
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2010 11:49:46 PM
At 9/25/2010 11:22:08 PM, Atheism wrote:
I can't quite put my finger on it, but it does seem to ring a bell...
Lol:

And the sad part is at least two people cling to this poorly thought out analogy. Lol.
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2010 11:52:01 PM

sound familiar?

Why to completely destroy his whole thread pooka.

R U PROUD!?! :P :P
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2010 11:54:33 PM
At 9/25/2010 11:52:01 PM, tvellalott wrote:

sound familiar?

Why to completely destroy his whole thread pooka.

R U PROUD!?! :P :P

Lol. (^_^;)
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
MarquisX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2010 11:56:47 PM

sound familiar?

I think if you wake up on a deserted island,with no recollection or solid evidence of how you got there, you were put there.Unless a bunch of people with amnesia somehow wondered through the ocean. Doesn't make any sense. In your attempt to make theist look stupid, you failed epically. But do try again, it was entertaining at least.
Sophisticated ignorance, write my curses in cursive
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2010 8:55:47 AM

sound familiar?:

Yeah, same sh!tty plot as Lost. :)
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
Atheism
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2010 10:55:02 AM
At 9/25/2010 11:49:46 PM, jharry wrote:
At 9/25/2010 11:22:08 PM, Atheism wrote:
I can't quite put my finger on it, but it does seem to ring a bell...
Lol:

And the sad part is at least two people cling to this poorly thought out analogy. Lol.
And would you look at that, I never said I agreed with it. It merely reminded me of something. Fail.
I miss the old members.
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2010 2:29:56 PM

sound familiar?

lol thats what i was thinking myself
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
the-good-teacher
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2010 3:30:20 AM

sound familiar?

---------------
No, why should it ?

--------------------------------------