Jump to topic:

The Book of Eli (Spoilers)

Freeman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2010 10:52:04 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
Why didn't the main protagonist just download the free app known as "Touch Bible" for his ipod? Why did he spend so much time memorizing the entire Bible? This would have solved many of his problems and allowed his project to be much more discrete. After all, he did manage to keep his ipod until the end of the movie.
Chancellor of Propaganda and Foreign Relations in the Franklin administration.

"I intend to live forever. So far, so good." -- Steven Wright
Atheism
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2010 10:55:40 AM
At 9/26/2010 10:52:04 AM, Freeman wrote:
Why didn't the main protagonist just download the free app known as "Touch Bible" for his ipod? Why did he spend so much time memorizing the entire Bible? This would have solved many of his problems and allowed his project to be much more discrete. After all, he did manage to keep his ipod until the end of the movie.
That wouldn't make for a good movie, I think.
I miss the old members.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2010 11:31:25 AM
Why didn't the main protagonist just download the free app known as "Touch Bible" for his ipod? Why did he spend so much time memorizing the entire Bible?:

Fail.

Are you being serious? You really can't piece together why in a post-apocalyptic setting that would not be possible?

How can you download an app when the entire grid is down? People are killing each other in the streets for food and water but the Apple company is still around? I don't think so. There is no internet or operable satellites or anything you are currently accustomed to, including electricity. If you recall, it was an epic thing just to recharge his battery. And it's certainly not like he can download new music, let alone the Touch Bible.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
Ramshutu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2010 11:40:00 AM
At 9/26/2010 11:31:25 AM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
Why didn't the main protagonist just download the free app known as "Touch Bible" for his ipod? Why did he spend so much time memorizing the entire Bible?:

Fail.

Are you being serious? You really can't piece together why in a post-apocalyptic setting that would not be possible?

How can you download an app when the entire grid is down? People are killing each other in the streets for food and water but the Apple company is still around? I don't think so. There is no internet or operable satellites or anything you are currently accustomed to, including electricity. If you recall, it was an epic thing just to recharge his battery. And it's certainly not like he can download new music, let alone the Touch Bible.

If there was one corporation I think would last through the apocolypse, it would be apple.

I'm sure they've already got an iDoomsday range of products ready for marketing the moment the bombs start dropping.
Freeman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2010 11:56:12 AM

Fail.

Someone would still have it saved on their computer. Hunting them down wouldn't be too hard.

Freeman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2010 11:56:44 AM
At 9/26/2010 10:57:10 AM, Koopin wrote:
Why didn't the eagles fly over the volcano and drop the ring in mount doom?

That's what I said.

Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2010 12:02:09 PM
At 9/26/2010 11:56:44 AM, Freeman wrote:

That's what I said.

C'mon, few people really thought that until they had a eureka moment whilst watching the youtube video.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2010 12:49:23 PM

Fail.

You're pretty much dead on. It's not that easy, giving the setting of the movie.
*SPOILER ALERT*
Besides, the guy was blind so I doubt computers would be that easy for him to use. His Bible was in braille so the guy who wanted it couldn't even read it in the end.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2010 2:50:11 PM
Someone would still have it saved on their computer. Hunting them down wouldn't be too hard.:

Computers are paper weights in a post-apocalyptic setting.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2010 5:23:13 PM

Winged Nazgûl > eagle.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2010 5:31:27 PM

That has actually bugged me about LOTR. Plot hole much?
Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2010 5:33:02 PM
At 9/26/2010 5:31:27 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
I completely didn't read the thread before I posted, even though it's barely more than one page long.
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2010 5:35:20 PM
At 9/26/2010 5:33:02 PM, Korashk wrote:
I completely didn't read the thread before I posted, even though it's barely more than one page long.

I read the thread, F*ck off.
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2010 5:41:47 PM
At 9/26/2010 5:35:20 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:

Wow, overreact much?
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2010 5:45:04 PM
At 9/26/2010 5:41:47 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 9/26/2010 5:35:20 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:

Wow, overreact much?

It's a false accusation and I get picked on alot here so, yes. I will react.
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2010 5:49:39 PM
At 9/26/2010 5:48:55 PM, J.Kenyon wrote:
Remember, you can't spell "overreact" without "ovary!" =D

ROFL

10/10
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2010 7:26:13 PM
I thought it was a pretty good movie and I don't see the hole. I believe someone pointed out that there was no internet.

I thought it was a wonderful story of a blind man resting solely on God's guidance and protection to bring hope to a fallen secular world. Awesome.

And didn't the little guy carrying the ring have to be the one to throw it in the hot stuff? I was thinking he was the only one that could resist it enough to be able to do it. wouldn't the giant eagle thing become over whelmed with it's power at NOT throw it in.

I do like his books. There are great metaphors for my beliefs.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2010 6:54:39 PM
He was blind, how would a touch bible help him?

Also, the bible was a weapon in that movie. A touch bible could be used by anyone, including Gary Oldmans character. The braile bible was a perfect plot device.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
Marauder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2010 9:52:31 AM
At 9/26/2010 11:56:12 AM, Freeman wrote:

Fail.

Someone would still have it saved on their computer. Hunting them down wouldn't be too hard.

How is that easier? interrogating people until you find clues to someone with a computer that still has some sort of power source being wasted on it, and then finding among those which computer just happens to have the bible loaded on it, assuming those weren't deleted when all the bibles in paperback were burned. all the while being kind of discrete so he is not singled out for looking for a book that was deemed responsible for the war.

Or just take care of the book he's got and head on down to were he needs to take it.

you don't waist time searching for whats unlikely to exist and if it did even more unlikely to find when you already have a copy.
One act of Rebellion created all the darkness and evil in the world; One life of Total Obedience created a path back to eternity and God.

A Scout is Obedient.