Evolution of the major religions

OmegaForce
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2015 1:12:29 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Hello.

I would like to see a graphic showing the evolution of at least these two religions: Christianity and Islam. But including more religions in the graphic (particularly Judaism, as well as Hinduism and Buddhism) would be even better.

I would prefer that the y-axis represent the percentage of the world population that was following each religion. But if it represents the number of followers of each religion, that would still be okay.

But the most important point is this: the x-axis (time) needs to go back as far as possible. Ideally it should start at the very beginning of Christianity.

I have found this graphic:

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com...

But unfortunately the x-axis starts in 1900. Not early enough at all.

I understand that it's possible that we don't have very accurate numbers for earlier than 1900 A.D., but even some very rough estimations would be good enough.

Thanks in advance for your answers.
Notamoron
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2015 12:17:23 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 11/9/2015 1:12:29 AM, OmegaForce wrote:
Hello.

I would like to see a graphic showing the evolution of at least these two religions: Christianity and Islam. But including more religions in the graphic (particularly Judaism, as well as Hinduism and Buddhism) would be even better.

I would prefer that the y-axis represent the percentage of the world population that was following each religion. But if it represents the number of followers of each religion, that would still be okay.

But the most important point is this: the x-axis (time) needs to go back as far as possible. Ideally it should start at the very beginning of Christianity.

I have found this graphic:

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com...

But unfortunately the x-axis starts in 1900. Not early enough at all.

I understand that it's possible that we don't have very accurate numbers for earlier than 1900 A.D., but even some very rough estimations would be good enough.

Thanks in advance for your answers.

I doubt you will find an accurate graph, they'll be using "ceremonial" statistics rather than poll results from those who also discontinue their beliefs. In modern society, most children/ young parents end up dropping their faith, but they will still be included in religious statistics based on baptisms/communions etc....In the mid 2000's polls of some of the European cities showed religious belief had dropped by 70% in specific areas.