Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2015 4:56:07 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
http://www.outsidethebeltway.com...
https://www.youtube.com...

How is it we can have a prominent politician running for the presidency making comments like "Any president who doesn"t begin every day on his knees isn't fit to be commander-in-chief of this country" (at a religious liberties convention discussing Christian persecution ironically) and there is no outrage at the bigotry and intolerance, but if a private company doesn't have "Merry Christmas" or Christmas symbols on their coffee cups Christians are being persecuted? (never mind the fact that there was never any symbols of Christianity on their cups to begin with)

If the situation we reversed and we had an atheist saying believers were not fit to be the president of the US, there would be outrage, and rightly so. We can point to many presidents who were believers and did a good job, and some not so much. If being an atheist makes one a bad president, then conversely being a believer should make one a good president and that is demonstrably false. We can't assume someone is right for the job just because they are a believer or vice versa. Additionally, to knock an entire group, and claim them unfit for a *secular* position because they are ...secular, is completely moronic.

I'm not here to bash Christians, but rather the double standard that is so prominent. "Christians are being persecuted" is a common meme, but in my day to day life I see Christians persecuting Muslims/atheists (social media), but somehow, it is the Christians being persecuted when someone fires back. I see illegal symbols of Christianity at government facilities being removed, but somehow, the Christians are being persecuted. I see Christians refusing to acknowledge the law (homosexuality) and being subject to the consequences of that decision, but somehow, it is the Christian being persecuted. The bottom line is stop stirring the pot with other faiths/non believers, don't break the law, and you won't have to worry about the troublesome consequences - which, for @#%!'s sake, is not persecution.

I really hope no one believes Feuerstein has a point about Starbucks, but if you want back that horse, I would be interested to hear what you have to say on that as well.

/rant over.
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
Fly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2015 5:34:15 AM
That's the extreme irony of the persecution complex-- loss of dominance is perceived as persecution. Good to know that Cruz would be OK with a Muslim prez, unlike at least one of his GOP opponents... right...

Polls show that atheists rate lower than Muslims in trustworthiness, though. That's messed up...
"You don't have a right to be a jerk."
--Religion Forum's hypocrite extraordinaire serving up lulz
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2015 5:52:27 AM
At 11/10/2015 5:34:15 AM, Fly wrote:
That's the extreme irony of the persecution complex-- loss of dominance is perceived as persecution. Good to know that Cruz would be OK with a Muslim prez, unlike at least one of his GOP opponents... right...

Well, I dont know if we could go that far - it was a Christian audience.

Polls show that atheists rate lower than Muslims in trustworthiness, though. That's messed up...

Yup.
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

Fly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2015 6:56:25 AM
At 11/10/2015 5:52:27 AM, Skepticalone wrote:

Agreed. But then, shouldn't it have been called a "Christian liberties conference"?

Yup.
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2015 7:48:48 AM
" right-wing pastor Kevin Swanson introduced Cruz to the stage to ask him how important it was for candidates to submit to Jesus Christ as "the king of the President of the United States."

Vote for the guy who has the invisible friend telling him what to do..........................
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
ethang5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2015 10:19:28 AM

Yup.

There is a reason why they do.
desmac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2015 10:37:05 AM
At 11/10/2015 10:19:28 AM, ethang5 wrote:

Yup.

god told them to.
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2015 1:23:10 PM

Yup.

Not a valid reason.

desmac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2015 4:49:40 PM
At 11/10/2015 1:23:10 PM, Skepticalone wrote:

Yup.

Not a valid reason.

Since when did christians need valid reasons for anything?
ethang5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2015 5:04:43 PM

Yup.

Not a valid reason.

That would probably depend on who's judging the validity of the reason. But do you think that generally atheists are more trustworthy than Muslims?
ethang5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2015 5:06:14 PM
At 11/10/2015 10:37:05 AM, desmac wrote:

Yup.

god told them to.

Right. As long as you never have to take a close look at yourself.
ethang5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2015 5:08:57 PM
At 11/10/2015 4:49:40 PM, desmac wrote:

Yup.

Not a valid reason.

Atheists rank lower than Muslims even when non-Christians are polled. But the problem is certainly with the rest of the world, not you. You're fine. The world is bonkers.
desmac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2015 5:16:02 PM
At 11/10/2015 5:08:57 PM, ethang5 wrote:

Yup.

Not a valid reason.

Atheists rank lower than Muslims even when non-Christians are polled. But the problem is certainly with the rest of the world, not you. You're fine. The world is bonkers

Maybe the goddess who created the world was bonkers then.
ethang5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2015 5:21:19 PM
At 11/10/2015 5:16:02 PM, desmac wrote:

Yup.

Not a valid reason.

Atheists rank lower than Muslims even when non-Christians are polled. But the problem is certainly with the rest of the world, not you. You're fine. The world is bonkers

As long as the problem is never you.
DPMartin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2015 5:31:58 PM
At 11/10/2015 4:56:07 AM, Skepticalone wrote:

How is it we can have a prominent politician running for the presidency making comments like "Any president who doesn"t begin every day on his knees isn't fit to be commander-in-chief of this country" (at a religious liberties convention discussing Christian persecution ironically) and there is no outrage at the bigotry and intolerance, but if a private company doesn't have "Merry Christmas" or Christmas symbols on their coffee cups Christians are being persecuted? (never mind the fact that there was never any symbols of Christianity on their cups to begin with)

If the situation we reversed and we had an atheist saying believers were not fit to be the president of the US, there would be outrage, and rightly so. We can point to many presidents who were believers and did a good job, and some not so much. If being an atheist makes one a bad president, then conversely being a believer should make one a good president and that is demonstrably false. We can't assume someone is right for the job just because they are a believer or vice versa. Additionally, to knock an entire group, and claim them unfit for a *secular* position because they are ...secular, is completely moronic.

I'm not here to bash Christians, but rather the double standard that is so prominent. "Christians are being persecuted" is a common meme, but in my day to day life I see Christians persecuting Muslims/atheists (social media), but somehow, it is the Christians being persecuted when someone fires back. I see illegal symbols of Christianity at government facilities being removed, but somehow, the Christians are being persecuted. I see Christians refusing to acknowledge the law (homosexuality) and being subject to the consequences of that decision, but somehow, it is the Christian being persecuted. The bottom line is stop stirring the pot with other faiths/non believers, don't break the law, and you won't have to worry about the troublesome consequences - which, for @#%!'s sake, is not persecution.

I really hope no one believes Feuerstein has a point about Starbucks, but if you want back that horse, I would be interested to hear what you have to say on that as well.

/rant over.

If you are looking for what one might perceive as fairness in politics and or business. You don"t have a grip on the reality of human nature, and the freedoms in this country. They will use what ever means, to win what they value.

And it"s agreed in this country (the USA) "in so many words" that all is fair in politics and money. No ethical logic required. No intelligence required. Just winning.

It doesn"t matter to the predator how he gets his victim, if he"s eating it. And nobody complains about the bad play calling by the ref"s, even against thier own team, if their team wins the game.
Fly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2015 5:32:45 PM

Yup.

Of course. If people held certain opinions for no reason whatsoever, that would be a much more profound observation. And if people believed what they do for logical rather than emotional reasons, then that would be still more profound-- and even more unlikely.
ethang5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2015 6:29:22 PM
At 11/10/2015 5:32:45 PM, Fly wrote:

Yup.

Of course. If people held certain opinions for no reason whatsoever, that would be a much more profound observation. And if people believed what they do for logical rather than emotional reasons, then that would be still more profound-- and even more unlikely.

Is your reason logical or emotional?
Fly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2015 6:51:48 PM
At 11/10/2015 6:29:22 PM, ethang5 wrote:
At 11/10/2015 5:32:45 PM, Fly wrote:

Yup.

Is your reason logical or emotional?

My reason for what, exactly?

For future reference, it isn't necessarily a strict "either/or" proposition. Reasons for holding certain opinions can ALSO have a mixture of logical and emotional basis.
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2015 7:07:44 PM
At 11/10/2015 5:21:19 PM, ethang5 wrote:
At 11/10/2015 5:16:02 PM, desmac wrote:

Yup.

Not a valid reason.

As long as the problem is never you.

Religion has a fine, millennia-long history of blaming the victim for its vilification.

Ethan is not only willing to keep that history alive, he resents the idea that some religious people tolerate rejection of their faith.
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2015 7:09:14 PM
At 11/10/2015 5:04:43 PM, ethang5 wrote:

Yup.

Not a valid reason.

That would probably depend on who's judging the validity of the reason. But do you think that generally atheists are more trustworthy than Muslims?

I would think Muslims, Atheists, and Christians are comparably trustworthy. If you think differently, then show us your valid reason(s) and the evidence that lead you to them.

Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2015 7:17:27 PM

Yup.

Not a valid reason.

Atheists rank lower than Muslims even when non-Christians are polled. But the problem is certainly with the rest of the world, not you. You're fine. The world is bonkers.

You do know what "valid" means, right? An argument from popularity is not a rational basis for your "valid" reason.

Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2015 7:20:56 PM
At 11/10/2015 5:31:58 PM, DPMartin wrote:
At 11/10/2015 4:56:07 AM, Skepticalone wrote:

/rant over.

If you are looking for what one might perceive as fairness in politics and or business. You don"t have a grip on the reality of human nature, and the freedoms in this country. They will use what ever means, to win what they value.

And it"s agreed in this country (the USA) "in so many words" that all is fair in politics and money. No ethical logic required. No intelligence required. Just winning.

It doesn"t matter to the predator how he gets his victim, if he"s eating it. And nobody complains about the bad play calling by the ref"s, even against thier own team, if their team wins the game.

I generally agree with you, but I am no longer content to ignore it and hope it goes away.

DPMartin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2015 8:17:59 PM
At 11/10/2015 7:20:56 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
I generally agree with you, but I am no longer content to ignore it and hope it goes away.

Hypocrisy is ingrained in human nature and the ones that admit their hypocrisy have some promise. As one who is a Christian understands that human beings are liars from their youth, me included of course, and sees that both sides of any political effort, business, human activity, one can expect people to be in their comfort zone of what is human nature.

It"s not in, or a part of human nature to keep an agreement (be ethical), as in keep his end of the bargain, so to speak. The only way mankind keeps an agreement, is for fear of consequence, or love for that which they are in agreement with. So it"s an us and them scenario at all times. And one is not in agreement with the enemy. One is in agreement with the "us", not the "them".

Its fair if the, "we" win and the "we" were robed when the "they" win. It doesn"t matter what side you are on, in the, "what is fair" category of things. And it seems that all thats being done here, is to rally hate for the perceived enemy of what one values, trying muster the us and them scenario. No different then what I have seen in many churches. Same human nature cloaked in different flags.
IntellectVsSpirit5000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2015 10:25:49 PM
I don't feel persecuted by Starbucks, and couldn't care less what Starbucks does, much like most all Christians.

We are persecuted, but not by Starbucks.
IntellectVsSpirit5000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2015 10:27:47 PM

If ISIS beheading Christians isn't persecution, then I don't know what is.
Fly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2015 11:03:21 PM
At 11/10/2015 10:27:47 PM, IntellectVsSpirit5000 wrote:

You should glean from the context that I was referring to the trend within the USA.
IntellectVsSpirit5000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2015 3:00:16 AM
At 11/10/2015 11:03:21 PM, Fly wrote:

You should glean from the context that I was referring to the trend within the USA.

Okay. Christian kids in school being killed after asked if they believed in Jesus or God.
Fly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2015 4:22:25 AM
At 11/11/2015 3:00:16 AM, IntellectVsSpirit5000 wrote:

Okay. Christian kids in school being killed after asked if they believed in Jesus or God.

Good to know that I am immune from being shot by such biased mass shooters.

You are exemplifying what I am talking about rather than refuting it, btw.
IntellectVsSpirit5000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2015 2:17:01 AM
At 11/11/2015 4:22:25 AM, Fly wrote:

Christ taught love. You stand against the belief, as do many. We get it.
Fly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2015 2:33:03 AM
At 11/12/2015 2:17:01 AM, IntellectVsSpirit5000 wrote:
At 11/11/2015 4:22:25 AM, Fly wrote:

Christ taught love. You stand against the belief, as do many. We get it.

Using percentages, how many? And from what I have gathered, Christians decidedly do NOT get nonbelief.