Jump to topic:

The Christian God is Real Debate

WorldSkeptic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2015 8:45:52 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Please check out the debate I had with HankMG22, vote honestly, and give your opinion in the comments below. If you have anything you disagree on, please don't vote bomb any side, but add your comments and arguments or challenge either me or HankMG22.

http://www.debate.org...
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence. - Christopher Hitchens
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2015 10:40:56 PM
At 11/11/2015 8:45:52 PM, WorldSkeptic wrote:
Please check out the debate I had with HankMG22, vote honestly, and give your opinion in the comments below. If you have anything you disagree on, please don't vote bomb any side, but add your comments and arguments or challenge either me or HankMG22.

I have a question.

What do you believe the Christian God to be?

Do you believe in the Polytheistic trinitarian God, taught from the late 4th century C. E. onward?

Do you believe in the dual God that was the subject of the Council of Nicea in 356 C.E. This being a God who is two persons in one, both God and Christ.

Or do you rather believe in the "God and father of our Lord Jesus Christ", as Christ and the Apostles do. The one God over all other gods, including his son, now the Christ.

Which do you mean when you ask about the "Christian God".

And no, I do not intend to look at the debate, I have completely lost interest in such formal debates which are, after all, only a way of scoring points over another. In the end they prove nothing other than which is the most popular view, when in the final analysis, the only view which matters is that of Jehovah himself.
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2015 11:25:24 PM
At 11/11/2015 10:40:56 PM, MadCornishBiker wrote:

I have a question.

Do you believe in the Polytheistic trinitarian God, taught from the late 4th century C. E. onward?

There is no "polytheistic trinitarian God", so far as I've ever known or read. Could you refer us to some sources - representative scholarly trinitarians - who claim to believe in what they deem a "polytheistic trinitarian God"?
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
WorldSkeptic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2015 1:46:59 AM
MadCornishBiker:
I do not believe in any God, and I am not exactly sure what you said in your first few sentences. I should, however, concede that there is not one "Christian God", because many people interpret him in a different way. I meant generally speaking about believers who consider themselves Christians and follow God according to the Bible (and their interpretation). I am with annanicole that I have never heard of a "polytheistic trinitarian God". I am sorry that you do not wish to read and give no importance to the opinions of others, but I really encourage anyone who is interested to give it a fair try and give an honest opinion or vote.
I'll answer any questions anyone might have.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence. - Christopher Hitchens
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2015 1:38:13 PM
At 11/11/2015 11:25:24 PM, annanicole wrote:

I have a question.

There is no "polytheistic trinitarian God", so far as I've ever known or read. Could you refer us to some sources - representative scholarly trinitarians - who claim to believe in what they deem a "polytheistic trinitarian God"?

The Trinity teaches that there are three Gods in one. That is polytheism, whoever you try to disguise it by calling it a mystery.

In fact the only true mystery is why so many otherwise intelligent people are dumb enough to believe it against all the scriptural evidence.

The Trinity does, as I say state that they are three Gods in one God, each separate and distinct, but each a part of the Godhead.

Where you have three Gods you have polytheism, simple as that.

To teach otherwise is to teach a lie.
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2015 12:49:56 AM
At 11/13/2015 1:38:13 PM, MadCornishBiker wrote:

I have a question.

The Trinity teaches that there are three Gods in one. That is polytheism, whoever you try to disguise it by calling it a mystery.

In fact the only true mystery is why so many otherwise intelligent people are dumb enough to believe it against all the scriptural evidence.

The Trinity does, as I say state that they are three Gods in one God, each separate and distinct, but each a part of the Godhead.

This is the question:

Could you refer us to some sources - representative scholarly trinitarians - who claim to believe in what they deem a "polytheistic trinitarian God"?
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2015 2:46:31 PM
At 11/14/2015 12:49:56 AM, annanicole wrote:

I have a question.

This is the question:

Could you refer us to some sources - representative scholarly trinitarians - who claim to believe in what they deem a "polytheistic trinitarian God"?

Of course not, because they deny it.

However the simple fact is that if you have three gods, then you have polytheism, and nothing can be both distinct and the same.

No, as scripture says, Jehovah and his son are distinct beings, and yes Christ is a god, as are all the angels, but there is only one True God, God over all other gods, and that is Jehovah.

Exodus 15:11American Standard Version (ASV)

11 Who is like unto thee, O Jehovah, among the gods? Who is like thee, glorious in holiness, Fearful in praises, doing wonders?

Exodus 15:11American Standard Version (ASV)

11 Who is like unto thee, O Jehovah, among the gods? Who is like thee, glorious in holiness, Fearful in praises, doing wonders?

There is no trinity.

Jehovah rules alone amongst all the other gods, be they his son, the angels, or humans in authority over his people.

The trinity teaching claims that he does not, it says he rules equally with two others, and is therefore inarguably, honestly at least, polytheistic.
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2015 5:05:11 PM
At 11/14/2015 2:46:31 PM, MadCornishBiker wrote:

I have a question.

This is the question:

All of these scholars deny it, but an old dimwit like you undertakes to tell them what they really believe?

After all, YOU are the one telling us that we should baptize "in the name" of the REAL God ... and a lesser god ... and an active force, knowing full well that every example - even hypothetical ones - of being baptized in the name of an entity implies a person. whether John, Jesus, Peter, or Paul.
harrytruman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2015 5:08:59 PM

Hmmm, oh yeah, YES.
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2015 5:16:50 PM
At 11/14/2015 2:46:31 PM, MadCornishBiker wrote:

I have a question.

This is the question:

However the simple fact is that if you have three gods, then you have polytheism, and nothing can be both distinct and the same.

Yes, they can.

No, as scripture says, Jehovah and his son are distinct beings,

The Father is distinct from the Son as a person, yes. Nobody has denied that.

and yes Christ is a god,

Maybe that's why Paul instructed the elders to, "Take heed unto yourselves, and to all the flock, in which the Holy Spirit hath made you bishops, to feed the church of a lesser god (tou theou) which he purchased with His own blood." (Acts 20: 28)

What is affirmed is that there is ONE GOD composed of three different persons, or personalities. It matters not if some of those persons were created or not, really. The only thing gained by your claim of "created being" is the humorous aspect of it as you struggle with the plain definitions of common words like arche.