Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2015 3:00:28 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 11/16/2015 2:33:13 AM, LiberalProlifer wrote:
I want to believe.

Sure! Take the literal stories of the Bible and look for evidence to establish these things actually happened. Also, to be clear, I don't think the Christian god will be proven in this manner (quite to the contrary), but this is a valid method.
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
LiberalProlifer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2015 3:04:23 AM
At 11/16/2015 3:00:28 AM, Skepticalone wrote:
I want to believe.

Sure! Take the literal stories of the Bible and look for evidence to establish these things actually happened. Also, to be clear, I don't think the Christian god will be proven in this manner (quite to the contrary), but this is a valid method.

I agree that the Bible is a good book, but I am still not sure. I am very skeptical.
tstor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2015 3:19:32 AM
I want to believe.
There are a couple of things to keep in mind. First, God will never be "proven" in the sense that faith would not be required. Second, remember Proverbs 3:5, which states:
"Trust in Jehovah with all your heart, And do not rely on your own understanding." (NW)

Now, this does not mean that you should not examine things you for yourself. Consider 1 John 4:1:
"Beloved ones, do not believe every inspired statement, but test the inspired statements to see whether they originate with God, for many false prophets have gone out into the world." (NW)

Do not fall into the trap of only looking at one side of the coin. You can find plenty of pro-Christian sites and become easily convinced of that the Bible is true. The reverse is that you can find plenty of anti-Christian sites that would convince you that the Bible is no different than The Cat in the Hat. Both sides of the coin are only half of the whole picture, so do research on both ends and make an informed and calculated decision that you are comfortable with.
"The afternoon came down as imperceptibly as age comes to a happy man. A little gold entered into the sunlight. The bay became bluer and dimpled with shore-wind ripples. Those lonely fishermen who believe that the fish bite at high tide left their rocks, and their places were taken by others, who were convinced that the fish bite at low tide." (John Steinbeck; Tortilla Flat, 1935)
tstor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2015 3:23:05 AM
At 11/16/2015 3:04:23 AM, LiberalProlifer wrote:

Ignore my typos. Did not proofread!
"The afternoon came down as imperceptibly as age comes to a happy man. A little gold entered into the sunlight. The bay became bluer and dimpled with shore-wind ripples. Those lonely fishermen who believe that the fish bite at high tide left their rocks, and their places were taken by others, who were convinced that the fish bite at low tide." (John Steinbeck; Tortilla Flat, 1935)
LiberalProlifer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2015 3:29:47 AM
At 11/16/2015 3:19:32 AM, tstor wrote:
I want to believe.
There are a couple of things to keep in mind. First, God will never be "proven" in the sense that faith would not be required. Second, remember Proverbs 3:5, which states:
"Trust in Jehovah with all your heart, And do not rely on your own understanding." (NW)

Now, this does not mean that you should not examine things you for yourself. Consider 1 John 4:1:
"Beloved ones, do not believe every inspired statement, but test the inspired statements to see whether they originate with God, for many false prophets have gone out into the world." (NW)

Do not fall into the trap of only looking at one side of the coin. You can find plenty of pro-Christian sites and become easily convinced of that the Bible is true. The reverse is that you can find plenty of anti-Christian sites that would convince you that the Bible is no different than The Cat in the Hat. Both sides of the coin are only half of the whole picture, so do research on both ends and make an informed and calculated decision that you are comfortable with.

Thank you. I bought a book titled "The Case For A Creator". I will have someone read it to me, as reading is a struggle because of my eyes.
tstor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2015 3:32:48 AM
At 11/16/2015 3:29:47 AM, LiberalProlifer wrote:

Thank you. I bought a book titled "The Case For A Creator". I will have someone read it to me, as reading is a struggle because of my eyes.

Can't say I have had the pleasure of reading it. Seems like a good starting place, I hope you enjoy!
LiberalProlifer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2015 3:36:11 AM
At 11/16/2015 3:32:48 AM, tstor wrote:

Can't say I have had the pleasure of reading it. Seems like a good starting place, I hope you enjoy!

It is. If you want, I can give you a link to purchase it online.
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2015 3:38:53 AM
At 11/16/2015 3:19:32 AM, tstor wrote:
I want to believe.

Hugh Ross. I've read that. I wasn't too impressed with it, but it is a popular book for believers. You could always get it from Audible if it is difficult for you to read.
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

tstor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2015 3:39:12 AM
At 11/16/2015 3:36:11 AM, LiberalProlifer wrote:

It is. If you want, I can give you a link to purchase it online.
Thank you for the offer, but I already have a reading list to get through. I am currently reading Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse and finishing up Navigating Genesis by Hugh Ross.
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2015 3:50:07 AM
At 11/16/2015 3:04:23 AM, LiberalProlifer wrote:
At 11/16/2015 3:00:28 AM, Skepticalone wrote:
I want to believe.

I agree that the Bible is a good book, but I am still not sure. I am very skeptical.

To be clear, I never said the Bible was a good book (or otherwise).

Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2015 3:53:47 AM
I want to believe.

He exists in the stories about him as much as Zeus exists in the stories about him.

The stories are the evidence that the characters were invented by human writers.
IntellectVsSpirit5000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2015 5:53:13 PM
I want to believe.

God moves on behalf of one that has faith in him. No faith. No proof. Have faith. Get proof. It just happens that way.
IntellectVsSpirit5000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2015 5:56:47 PM
At 11/16/2015 3:53:47 AM, Skyangel wrote:
I want to believe.

He exists in the stories about him as much as Zeus exists in the stories about him.

The stories are the evidence that the characters were invented by human writers.

If created, it is you who is imaginary. In 100 years my grandchildren can say that you do not and never did exist based on your own calculations. Thus, I declare ahead of time that you are a myth already.
Hitchian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2015 6:08:11 PM
At 11/16/2015 5:53:13 PM, IntellectVsSpirit5000 wrote:
I want to believe.

God moves on behalf of one that has faith in him. No faith. No proof. Have faith. Get proof. It just happens that way.

LiberalProlife , do not follow this crappy piece of advice. For one, it's as flawed as flawed goes, demonstrably so, given the many people who sought but did not find. For reference, visit http://clergyproject.org... It has helped former devout believers transition into agnosticism and atheism. Apparently, God was not of use.

More importantly, it's also dishonest. Ask yourself why did God supposedly provide so many pieces of evidence in the past? Plagues, signs, a world wide flood, prophecies, Jesus' miracles? Why would He be so reluctant to be as considerate now? If in the past it was reasonable to believe based on spectacular evidence, why has that conveniently changed? Why is so much more gullibility being solicited from people today, why are they being asked to believe on no evidence when people around the time of Moses or Christ supposedly had lots to go around?

Think.
desmac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2015 9:38:06 PM
At 11/16/2015 6:08:11 PM, Hitchian wrote:
I want to believe.

LiberalProlife , do not follow this crappy piece of advice. For one, it's as flawed as flawed goes, demonstrably so, given the many people who sought but did not find. For reference, visit http://clergyproject.org... It has helped former devout believers transition into agnosticism and atheism. Apparently, God was not of use.

More importantly, it's also dishonest. Ask yourself why did God supposedly provide so many pieces of evidence in the past? Plagues, signs, a world wide flood, prophecies, Jesus' miracles? Why would He be so reluctant to be as considerate now? If in the past it was reasonable to believe based on spectacular evidence, why has that conveniently changed? Why is so much more gullibility being solicited from people today, why are they being asked to believe on no evidence when people around the time of Moses or Christ supposedly had lots to go around?

Think.

Coz there's a sucker born every minute.
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2015 1:14:17 AM
At 11/16/2015 6:08:11 PM, Hitchian wrote:
I want to believe.

Think.

It's the mind trap. Once they have faith then proof becomes irrelevant.
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2015 10:58:48 PM
At 11/16/2015 5:56:47 PM, IntellectVsSpirit5000 wrote:
At 11/16/2015 3:53:47 AM, Skyangel wrote:
I want to believe.

If created, it is you who is imaginary. In 100 years my grandchildren can say that you do not and never did exist based on your own calculations. Thus, I declare ahead of time that you are a myth already.

I am honored to think that you would even tell your grandchildren about me. :-)
It will be very amusing if any of the stories about me in the future end up giving me supernatural powers.
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2015 11:01:22 PM
I want to believe.

What about the story of doubting Thomas? He had no faith and still got proof in the story. That shows you don't need faith to get proof. You just need to be honest about what it will take for you to believe.