Jump to topic:

Submarines in the book of mormon????

graceofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2015 11:13:52 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
And also we shall perish, for in them we cannot breathe, save it is the air which is in them; therefore we shall perish. And the Lord said unto the brother of Jared: Behold, thou shalt make a hole in the top, and also in the bottom; and when thou shalt suffer for air thou shalt unstop the hole and receive air. And if it be so that the water come in upon thee, behold, ye shall stop the hole, that ye may not perish in the flood.
Ether 2:19-20

For behold, ye shall be as a whale in the midst of the sea; for the mountain waves shall dash upon you.
" Ether 2:24

And it came to pass that when they were buried in the deep there was no water that could hurt them, their vessels being tight like unto a dish.
" Ether 6:7

And thus they were driven forth; and no monster of the sea could break them, neither whale that could mar them; and they did have light continually, whether it was above the water or under the water.
" Ether 6:10

how was that possible...
graceofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2015 1:39:24 PM
At 11/17/2015 11:13:52 AM, graceofgod wrote:
And also we shall perish, for in them we cannot breathe, save it is the air which is in them; therefore we shall perish. And the Lord said unto the brother of Jared: Behold, thou shalt make a hole in the top, and also in the bottom; and when thou shalt suffer for air thou shalt unstop the hole and receive air. And if it be so that the water come in upon thee, behold, ye shall stop the hole, that ye may not perish in the flood.

For behold, ye shall be as a whale in the midst of the sea; for the mountain waves shall dash upon you.

And it came to pass that when they were buried in the deep there was no water that could hurt them, their vessels being tight like unto a dish.

And thus they were driven forth; and no monster of the sea could break them, neither whale that could mar them; and they did have light continually, whether it was above the water or under the water.

how was that possible...

well it seems difficult for the time to say the least...
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2015 1:44:01 PM

how was that possible...

Well, it seems the Book of Mormon was written in the early 1800's. Agreed? Submarines were around before then. There was even submarines in war before then.

http://www.history.com...
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2015 1:55:50 PM
I wouldn't be surprised, but since I have my own planet to be god of, I don't give a flying rats F*ck.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
graceofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2015 3:04:52 PM
At 11/17/2015 1:44:01 PM, Skepticalone wrote:

how was that possible...

Well, it seems the Book of Mormon was written in the early 1800's. Agreed? Submarines were around before then. There was even submarines in war before then.

I love the bit about getting air by having a hole in the top and the bottom ..lol
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2015 3:23:09 PM
At 11/17/2015 3:04:52 PM, graceofgod wrote:

how was that possible...

I love the bit about getting air by having a hole in the top and the bottom ..lol

I'm not sure if your being facetious. My point is that submarines were around for hundreds of years before the book of Mormon, so if those verses are in reference to submarines, it is not particularly difficult to explain.
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

graceofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2015 12:31:53 PM
At 11/17/2015 3:23:09 PM, Skepticalone wrote:

how was that possible...

I'm not sure if your being facetious. My point is that submarines were around for hundreds of years before the book of Mormon, so if those verses are in reference to submarines, it is not particularly difficult to explain.

I think you are missing the point, do you think someone in the ancient world would have designed them and been able to manufacture them...
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2015 1:45:44 PM
At 11/18/2015 12:31:53 PM, graceofgod wrote:

how was that possible...

I think you are missing the point, do you think someone in the ancient world would have designed them and been able to manufacture them...

1830 AD (when the book of Mormon was written) was not the "ancient world".

dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2015 2:57:50 PM
This is nothing but a post hoc attempt to explain how a primitive wooden vessel could possibly survive in conditions known to be fatal to such a craft, even if it was stable enough to sail in clear weather.
graceofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2015 3:39:59 PM
At 11/18/2015 1:45:44 PM, Skepticalone wrote:

how was that possible...

we all know that but it speaks of an ancient race, that is where the submarines come in...
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2015 5:16:13 PM
At 11/18/2015 3:39:59 PM, graceofgod wrote:

how was that possible...

we all know that but it speaks of an ancient race, that is where the submarines come in...

Oh, I see. For some reason, I had imagined you were reasonable.

If I wrote about helicopters existing in the first century what would that show? Most likely, that I was writing in a time period after helicopters existed. A lesser possibility is that helicopters existed before they are currently known to have been invented, but we would expect evidence beyond my assertion to validate that.

The most plausible explanation is the one I gave, but if you want to embrace absurd notions without objective evidence I can't stop you. Additionally, I would not be interested in having a discussion about it with an individual maintaining such an arbitrary standard of proof.

https://wikipedia.org...

If this link doesn't work (I'm on my phone) look up "anachronism".

graceofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2015 7:11:16 PM
At 11/18/2015 5:16:13 PM, Skepticalone wrote:

how was that possible...

If I wrote about helicopters existing in the first century what would that show? Most likely, that I was writing in a time period after helicopters existed. A lesser possibility is that helicopters existed before they are currently known to have been invented, but we would expect evidence beyond my assertion to validate that.

The most plausible explanation is the one I gave, but if you want to embrace absurd notions without objective evidence I can't stop you. Additionally, I would not be interested in having a discussion about it with an individual maintaining such an arbitrary standard of proof.

what are you talking about, I am asking if it is likely that any race around that the time the book of mormon claims, which would be around 2500 BC , would have been capable of building submarines...
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2015 7:23:50 PM
At 11/18/2015 7:11:16 PM, graceofgod wrote:

how was that possible...

what are you talking about, I am asking if it is likely that any race around that the time the book of mormon claims, which would be around 2500 BC , would have been capable of building submarines...

The obvious answer is no.

graceofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2015 7:25:24 PM
At 11/18/2015 7:23:50 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 11/18/2015 7:11:16 PM, graceofgod wrote:

how was that possible...

The obvious answer is no.

thank you, on that we agree...