The Muslim Haj and Animal Sacrifices

Hitchian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2015 6:12:21 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 11/17/2015 6:09:13 PM, IntellectVsSpirit5000 wrote:
How about some camel sacrifices Hajj style?

http://youtu.be...

Need I remind you of your precious Old Testament?
IntellectVsSpirit5000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2015 6:21:18 PM
At 11/17/2015 6:12:21 PM, Hitchian wrote:

Do I need remind you of the actual testament that we go by? (The New Testament) Jesus declared a "New Testament" and a "new law". Notice the Old Testament and animal sacrifices are not applied by Christianity. Why is that?
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2015 9:23:47 PM
At 11/17/2015 6:21:18 PM, IntellectVsSpirit5000 wrote:

Do I need remind you of the actual testament that we go by? (The New Testament) Jesus declared a "New Testament" and a "new law". Notice the Old Testament and animal sacrifices are not applied by Christianity. Why is that?

Yet when it comes to gays we sure do get alot of qoutes and arguments from Christians coming from the Old testament.

Some might get the idea christians are playing the game of use the bible when it suits, when something else is pointed out that can't be defended.............well that's the old testament.

Here is the point, either we examine our moral reasoning in the light of human well being or we play this game of religious dogma of God wants this, God wants that.

So which is it ? reason ? or one religious dogma of what God wants vs the other ?
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2015 9:33:53 PM

Selective interpretation.
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
http://www.debate.org...
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2015 10:22:25 PM

Cherry picking. Ten commandments: Old Testament but quoted as the 'source of law'.
God loves the smell of burning meat: Old Testament, ignored
Love between men is abominations: Old Testament, quoted often.

Just a couple of examples. I'm sure there are many, many more.
GrittyWorm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2015 11:17:13 PM
At 11/17/2015 9:23:47 PM, Illegalcombatant wrote:

Yet when it comes to gays we sure do get alot of qoutes and arguments from Christians coming from the Old testament.

Some might get the idea christians are playing the game of use the bible when it suits, when something else is pointed out that can't be defended.............well that's the old testament.

Here is the point, either we examine our moral reasoning in the light of human well being or we play this game of religious dogma of God wants this, God wants that.

So which is it ? reason ? or one religious dogma of what God wants vs the other ?

Other "Christians" speak for themselves. Des bulproof speak for you? I reckon not.
GrittyWorm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2015 11:29:12 PM
At 11/17/2015 10:22:25 PM, dhardage wrote:

Cherry picking. Ten commandments: Old Testament but quoted as the 'source of law'.
God loves the smell of burning meat: Old Testament, ignored
Love between men is abominations: Old Testament, quoted often.

Just a couple of examples. I'm sure there are many, many more.

You don't know what you're talking about on this one. Jesus' words say,"I came to fulfill the law and the prophets." He disreguarded everything else. The 10 commandments are the law. The prophets prophesied him. The rest were ancient applications to archaic man. Animal sacrifices in the OT were based off of monotary sacrifice. They didn't have money to"sacrifice. The animals were the mammon or money of the time. It declares in the OT that animal sacrifices do not please God if you desire to go based off the OT. Jesus denounced many many OT thoughts and declared the New Testament to the people. Astimes and customs changed, God changed his deslings with people because motives and neccessity changed as we became more educated and advanced. He dealt with archaic thinking man archsicly. It's all they understood. He dealt with the more modern man with a new handling because his children advanced over time. Parents that have children far apart in life do the same thing based on the changes of reality over decades as they deal with the new, much younger child. This is simply reality. You do greatly error in your assessment. Probably because you are not a Christian. Just as you know little about Islam, it appears the same in your assessment of Christianity.
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2015 11:33:17 PM
At 11/17/2015 11:17:13 PM, GrittyWorm wrote:

Other "Christians" speak for themselves. Des bulproof speak for you? I reckon not.

So about that using old testament against homosexuals say while also doing the whole well that was the old testament to ignore other things..........

And about that whole religious dogma vs religious dogma vs morality based on human well being, got something to say about that ?
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
GrittyWorm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2015 11:39:01 PM
At 11/17/2015 11:33:17 PM, Illegalcombatant wrote:

So about that using old testament against homosexuals say while also doing the whole well that was the old testament to ignore other things..........

And about that whole religious dogma vs religious dogma vs morality based on human well being, got something to say about that ?

I don't have any opinion about homosexuals or use anything against them because I go by Jesus' words. Do unto others. I'd have homosexuals not judge me. Another: judge not lest ye be judged. The same thing. Love your enemies. So I must love them seeing they are not my enemy. If another "Christian" is a homophobe, that's their issue. I judge not. Notice that Jesus never mentioned homosexuality one time. Why is that?
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2015 11:42:59 PM
At 11/17/2015 11:39:01 PM, GrittyWorm wrote:

I don't have any opinion about homosexuals or use anything against them because I go by Jesus' words. Do unto others. I'd have homosexuals not judge me. Another: judge not lest ye be judged. The same thing. Love your enemies. So I must love them seeing they are not my enemy. If another "Christian" is a homophobe, that's their issue. I judge not. Notice that Jesus never mentioned homosexuality one time. Why is that?

Once again you gloss over the actual important points, homosexuality is just an example, a main point is about the selectivity of using the old testament to justify something while when it is pointed out that the OT can be use to also justify xyz we get the................well that's the old testament line..............
GrittyWorm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2015 11:44:32 PM

Sure. Islam is wrath of the "angry god" who hates any nonmuslim. Christianity is, love even your enemy. Of course there are false "Christians" everywhere. Jesus taught us to be aware of false and so called "believers" more than anyone on Earth. This is the exact place we got the term "wolf in sheep's clothing." It's a term he used to depict "Believers" who use the "belief" for reasons other than faith in God. Examples are power, influence, greed, reputation, to intentionally divide the church, to advocate evil in the name of God, etc. etc.
GrittyWorm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2015 11:54:57 PM
At 11/17/2015 11:42:59 PM, Illegalcombatant wrote:

Once again you gloss over the actual important points, homosexuality is just an example, a main point is about the selectivity of using the old testament to justify something while when it is pointed out that the OT can be use to also justify xyz we get the................well that's the old testament line..............

I don't use the Old Testament to prove anything, and you are talking to me, not another person who magically represents me.
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2015 11:55:38 PM
At 11/17/2015 11:44:32 PM, GrittyWorm wrote:

Sure. Islam is wrath of the "angry god" who hates any nonmuslim. Christianity is, love even your enemy. Of course there are false "Christians" everywhere. Jesus taught us to be aware of false and so called "believers" more than anyone on Earth. This is the exact place we got the term "wolf in sheep's clothing." It's a term he used to depict "Believers" who use the "belief" for reasons other than faith in God. Examples are power, influence, greed, reputation, to intentionally divide the church, to advocate evil in the name of God, etc. etc.

There is a huge problem here, if christianity was ONLY Jesus, love they neighbour, sermon the mount, he who is without sin, then you might a good case here. But, Jesus comes within the CONTEXT of so much more.............

I forget the name but one of the great lights of christian thought (Aquinas maybe ?) laid the foundation for torture of heretics..................he was also quite informed about the sayings of Jesus.

For all the qoutes about love of Jesus, you need to accept Jesus, cause if you don't you will burn in eternal hell fire..............and if a little torture on earth can save a few then in the light of eternity it's justified, better to burn a bit here than burn eternally after ?

Jesus comes with so much more metaphysical baggage that I think a Jesus is about love person like you cares to admit.

But that is what I find the deception of some Christians conversion attempts, the selling point is about how Jesus loves you, he loves you so much he DIED for you, and God/Jesus wants to have a personal relationship.............WITH YOU !!!

Golly who would want to turn down such a fantastic offer ?

Then later on you going to get hit hard with the "other" stuff...........

In advertising law they call it bait & switch.
GrittyWorm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2015 11:56:49 PM

Now come here, and sit on my lap. I like to be manhandled. I like men. I like you.

You got a problem with that?
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2015 12:01:33 AM
At 11/17/2015 11:56:49 PM, GrittyWorm wrote:

Now come here, and sit on my lap. I like to be manhandled. I like men. I like you.

Did I mention you have a tendency to gloss over the main points ?
GrittyWorm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2015 12:06:14 AM
At 11/18/2015 12:01:33 AM, Illegalcombatant wrote:

I'm glad you enjoy it. Did I ever tell you that you have a wonderful personality, make me happy, and you are an extraordinary person. Can I borrow twenty bucks?
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2015 12:18:01 AM
At 11/18/2015 12:06:14 AM, GrittyWorm wrote:
At 11/18/2015 12:01:33 AM, Illegalcombatant wrote:

I'm glad you enjoy it. Did I ever tell you that you have a wonderful personality, make me happy, and you are an extraordinary person. Can I borrow twenty bucks?

Nah, sell up all you have, give to the poor and go follow Jesus...............
Fly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2015 12:23:00 AM
At 11/17/2015 5:59:38 PM, IntellectVsSpirit5000 wrote:
They are just misunderstood. Don't worry about it.

Before the New Covenant, animal sacrifices were not only moral, they were required by the Almighty! Now, such practice is considered abhorrent barbarism by Westerners (including Christians). Yet morality is unchanging and absolute... yessir.

Witch burnings still happen in world, too, by the way... by Christians...
"You don't have a right to be a jerk."
--Religion Forum's hypocrite extraordinaire serving up lulz
GrittyWorm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2015 1:44:17 AM
At 11/18/2015 12:23:00 AM, Fly wrote:

Before the New Covenant, animal sacrifices were not only moral, they were required by the Almighty! Now, such practice is considered abhorrent barbarism by Westerners (including Christians). Yet morality is unchanging and absolute... yessir.

Quit evading my pick up lines. You want this you coy mynx...
GrittyWorm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2015 1:45:04 AM
At 11/18/2015 12:23:00 AM, Fly wrote:

Now come here and fight me cause I'm bored.
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2015 2:37:42 AM

The old testament contained 3 types of Law. Moral, civil and ceremonial. These were to prepare the Jews for Jesus. As God is unchanging what he considers moral cannot change. However the moral and ceremonial laws could be changed after Jesus and the New Covenant.

I really cannot believe how the same thing keeps coming up over and over again on this site...
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2015 2:52:17 AM
At 11/18/2015 2:37:42 AM, Geogeer wrote:

The old testament contained 3 types of Law. Moral, civil and ceremonial. These were to prepare the Jews for Jesus. As God is unchanging what he considers moral cannot change. However the moral and ceremonial laws could be changed after Jesus and the New Covenant.

I really cannot believe how the same thing keeps coming up over and over again on this site...

Cause we have to keep hearing all these stories that are made up so christians can think they are justified in their cherry picking of when they can use the old testatment to justify something and when they can't.............

And notice once again this has nothing to do with well being, it just assertions of what God wanted in the past, and now wants in the present, and reason and all that other stuff doesn't come into the equation.

But if you want to play the law is still in effect game okey lets play that and see what we get............

Two consenting adults of the same sex engage in homosexual sex acts........ what was the law then ? what is the law now ?

A women is found not to be a virgin on her wedding night ? what was the law then ? what is the law now ?

Marriage between one man and one women ? what was the law then, what was the law now ?

If some one entices you to "another god" what is the law then ? what is the law now.
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2015 3:16:02 AM
At 11/18/2015 2:52:17 AM, Illegalcombatant wrote:

Cause we have to keep hearing all these stories that are made up so christians can think they are justified in their cherry picking of when they can use the old testatment to justify something and when they can't.............

Then maybe you should learn the intellectual history of Christianity.

And notice once again this has nothing to do with well being, it just assertions of what God wanted in the past, and now wants in the present, and reason and all that other stuff doesn't come into the equation.

Then learn the teachings of the Church Fathers and Doctors of the Church in order to understand how these passages are to be interpreted.

But if you want to play the law is still in effect game okey lets play that and see what we get............

Two consenting adults of the same sex engage in homosexual sex acts........ what was the law then ? what is the law now ?

Then: Grave offense to God - immortal soul at risk of eternal damnation. As the temporal civic punishment mirrored the eternal punishment death was the sentence.

Now: Grave offense to God - immortal soul at risk of eternal damnation. The civic temporal punishments vary from nation to nation.

A women is found not to be a virgin on her wedding night ? what was the law then ? what is the law now ?

Then: Grave offense to God - immortal soul at risk of eternal damnation. As the temporal civic punishment mirrored the eternal punishment death was the sentence.

Now: Grave offense to God - immortal soul at risk of eternal damnation. The civic temporal punishments vary from nation to nation.

Marriage between one man and one women ? what was the law then, what was the law now ?

Then: Marriage between one man and one woman started in the Garden of Eden. However, in the same way that Moses permitted divorce due to the hardness of heart in the ancient Jews, he also did not explicitly prohibited one man one woman marriage. What was revealed was that in every instance in the bible where the man took more than one wife there were always serious negative consequences to such actions. So much so, that by the time of Jesus, the Jews had come to understand that marriage was to be solely between one man and one woman alone. Jesus made this teaching explicit.

So the law was always the same as it existed from Genesis onward. The fact that it was not always adhered to and enforced is a different matter.

If some one entices you to "another god" what is the law then ? what is the law now.

Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2015 3:27:57 AM
At 11/18/2015 3:16:02 AM, Geogeer wrote:

Then learn the teachings of the Church Fathers and Doctors of the Church in order to understand how these passages are to be interpreted.

Then: Marriage between one man and one woman started in the Garden of Eden. However, in the same way that Moses permitted divorce due to the hardness of heart in the ancient Jews, he also did not explicitly prohibited one man one woman marriage. What was revealed was that in every instance in the bible where the man took more than one wife there were always serious negative consequences to such actions. So much so, that by the time of Jesus, the Jews had come to understand that marriage was to be solely between one man and one woman alone. Jesus made this teaching explicit.

So the law was always the same as it existed from Genesis onward. The fact that it was not always adhered to and enforced is a different matter.

Well lets look at that view that is believed and then acted upon what do you get ? Putting people to death for theological crimes.............

How is this fundamental different from those "muslims extremists/fanatics/jihadists" again ?

How are you different ? do you support the death penalty for theological crimes ? and if not why not ?

"Grave offense to God" funny how the only entities that go around making such claims are humans...............
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2015 5:05:46 AM
At 11/18/2015 3:27:57 AM, Illegalcombatant wrote:

Well lets look at that view that is believed and then acted upon what do you get ? Putting people to death for theological crimes.............

How is this fundamental different from those "muslims extremists/fanatics/jihadists" again ?

The laws were to change a people from pagan ways. Given that the nation continually fell away from God and the vast majority of the populace was not killed for doing so shows that while the official punishment for the crimes was set, it was more of a reminder of the punishment due and not what was regularly enforced. Otherwise the people could not have regularly offered up sacrifice for the forgiveness of sins.

After Christ we live in the great times of God's mercy. Muslim extremists/etc... believe that they are called to forcibly submit the world to themselves. God continually called for repentance:

"For I desired mercy, and not sacrifice: and the knowledge of God more than holocausts."

What you are missing is the oral tradition that accompanied the written tradition.

https://en.wikipedia.org...

We don't know how the law was actually practiced. Take for example the story of the prodigal son. The son returned to the father to ask forgiveness. However, if the Jewish law was as unbending as you claim he never would have done so because it would have been a death sentence for him to do so. Yet the Jews did not object to the story.

How are you different ? do you support the death penalty for theological crimes ? and if not why not ?

Christianity is a faith of mercy. I hope that every person dies a good Christian death to avoid hell. The death penalty was a decision by secular governments under Christianity. How the nation should be run and what threats were greatest to the nation are different now than in the past. So while I believe the laws of the nations should be united to truths of Christian moral laws, it is not necessary to kill those who do not subscribe to Christianity.

"Grave offense to God" funny how the only entities that go around making such claims are humans...............

Or God. Jesus talked as much about hell as he did his own divinity.
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2015 5:38:43 AM
At 11/18/2015 5:05:46 AM, Geogeer wrote:
At 11/18/2015 3:27:57 AM, Illegalcombatant wrote:

The laws were to change a people from pagan ways. Given that the nation continually fell away from God and the vast majority of the populace was not killed for doing so shows that while the official punishment for the crimes was set, it was more of a reminder of the punishment due and not what was regularly enforced. Otherwise the people could not have regularly offered up sacrifice for the forgiveness of sins.

After Christ we live in the great times of God's mercy. Muslim extremists/etc... believe that they are called to forcibly submit the world to themselves. God continually called for repentance:

"For I desired mercy, and not sacrifice: and the knowledge of God more than holocausts."

What you are missing is the oral tradition that accompanied the written tradition.

https://en.wikipedia.org...

We don't know how the law was actually practiced. Take for example the story of the prodigal son. The son returned to the father to ask forgiveness. However, if the Jewish law was as unbending as you claim he never would have done so because it would have been a death sentence for him to do so. Yet the Jews did not object to the story.

Christianity is a faith of mercy. I hope that every person dies a good Christian death to avoid hell. The death penalty was a decision by secular governments under Christianity. How the nation should be run and what threats were greatest to the nation are different now than in the past. So while I believe the laws of the nations should be united to truths of Christian moral laws, it is not necessary to kill those who do not subscribe to Christianity.

I think your kidding yourself, it's a small step from a bunch of people having Gods laws, which of course is higher than man law, man who is in rebellion to God by the way, which prescribes, kill, kill and more kill, and then well actually kill, kill and more kill.

If a woman is found not to be a virgin on her wedding night, take her to her fathers door step and demand your dowry back..........just kidding, kill her.

But, but but, insert "story" here that concludes and thus that is why we don't kill non virgin brides.

That's the game, and it's a fun game isn't it.

I do have an alternative approach, and the great thing is you won't have to resort to such things so here is my alternative.........

People talk sh*t all the time, yes that includes writing things about "God" including claims about God wanting you to kill such and such for xyz.

Since on their own they are just baseless assertions we can reject these and pursue a morality based on reason/well being where religious dogma can't overide it by playing the God card.

Or God. Jesus talked as much about hell as he did his own divinity.