Total Posts:32|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Atheism

sadolite
Posts: 8,834
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2010 8:06:55 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I was pondering again and wondered just what motivates an atheist to do anything. The only thing I could come up with is self absorbed vanity. If god does not exsist then nothing anyone does matters. There is no wrong or right.
A murdering, raping, pillaging scumbag atheist is no more wrong in what they do than say a law abiding atheist couple raising a child in a good home. The murderer does not care what people think or worry about their standard of living, but none the less fears no repercussions in the end.
The atheist couple raising the child and following the law will suffer no more or no less than the murderer in the end.
Neither has any meaning when the end comes for both. Ya you can make all the predictable arguments like for the good of society and laws make it possible for people to live together.
But ultimately the only reason I can think of as to why an atheist follows laws or does anything is to be liked by others or maintain a standard of living for ones self. Both are vanity, to keep up ones appearances in the eyes of others no matter what it takes. If you can fool some of them, so what. What they don't know doesn't hurt them. No harm no foul, because in the end it didn't matter anyway.

What motivates you? Knowing that what I do now will matter when I die motivates me. I can't even imagine what kind of evil son of a b#tch I would be today given my godless past.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
lovelife
Posts: 14,629
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2010 8:28:00 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/29/2010 8:06:55 PM, sadolite wrote:
I was pondering again and wondered just what motivates an atheist to do anything. The only thing I could come up with is self absorbed vanity. If god does not exsist then nothing anyone does matters. There is no wrong or right.
A murdering, raping, pillaging scumbag atheist is no more wrong in what they do than say a law abiding atheist couple raising a child in a good home. The murderer does not care what people think or worry about their standard of living, but none the less fears no repercussions in the end.
The atheist couple raising the child and following the law will suffer no more or no less than the murderer in the end.
Neither has any meaning when the end comes for both. Ya you can make all the predictable arguments like for the good of society and laws make it possible for people to live together.
But ultimately the only reason I can think of as to why an atheist follows laws or does anything is to be liked by others or maintain a standard of living for ones self. Both are vanity, to keep up ones appearances in the eyes of others no matter what it takes. If you can fool some of them, so what. What they don't know doesn't hurt them. No harm no foul, because in the end it didn't matter anyway.

What motivates you? Knowing that what I do now will matter when I die motivates me. I can't even imagine what kind of evil son of a b#tch I would be today given my godless past.

"One hundred years from now
It won't matter
What kind of car I drove
What kind of house I lived in
How much money I had in the bank
Nor what my cloths looked like
BUT
The world may be a little better
Because, I was important
In the life of a child."

http://www.scrapbook.com...

As for myself I find the meaning of my life to bring happiness to myself and to others. A common theme among atheists seems to be spreading knowlage, living a good shackle free life, or expanding on what exists. I want to share love and life, and I want people to stop fighting about things that don't matter. I want no one to suffer, because I want the world to be good. Its not about selfishness I'd say, I'd rather die and the world become good with the hate out than to live how it is now. Since my death wouldn't actually cause the world to become better (despite what I think when I'm depressed) the best course of action for my goal is to spend my life working to make it better. To do my part to try and end cruelty, violence, hate, and to some extent ignorance.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2010 8:29:06 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/29/2010 8:06:55 PM, sadolite wrote:
I was pondering again and wondered just what motivates an atheist to do anything.

Fun, pleasure, success, love, happiness, wealth, family. All are things that exist without a need for God.

If god does not exsist then nothing anyone does matters.

"If God existed, it would be necessary to abolish him." -- Mikhail Bakunin

There is no wrong or right.

There are many moral theories that don't require God.

Ethical Naturalism: Ethical sentences express propositions. Some such propositions are true. Those propositions are made true by objective features of the world, independent of human opinion.

Deontological Ethics: an approach to ethics that determines goodness or rightness from examining acts, rather than third-party consequences of the act as in consequentialism, or the intentions of the person doing the act as in virtue ethics. Deontologists look at rules and duties.

Moral Universalism: the meta-ethical position that some system of ethics, or a universal ethic, applies universally, that is, for "all similarly situated individuals"[1], regardless of culture, race, sex, religion, nationality, sexuality, or other distinguishing feature.

Theory of Intentionality: German philosopher Martin Heidegger (Being and Time), defined intentionality as "care" (Sorge), a sentient condition where an individual's existentiality, facticity, and forfeiture to the world identifies their ontological significance, in contrast to that which is the mere ontic (thinghood).

Source: Wikipedia

A murdering, raping, pillaging scumbag atheist is no more wrong in what they do than say a law abiding atheist couple raising a child in a good home. The murderer does not care what people think or worry about their standard of living, but none the less fears no repercussions in the end.
The atheist couple raising the child and following the law will suffer no more or no less than the murderer in the end.
Neither has any meaning when the end comes for both. Ya you can make all the predictable arguments like for the good of society and laws make it possible for people to live together.
But ultimately the only reason I can think of as to why an atheist follows laws or does anything is to be liked by others or maintain a standard of living for ones self. Both are vanity, to keep up ones appearances in the eyes of others no matter what it takes. If you can fool some of them, so what. What they don't know doesn't hurt them. No harm no foul, because in the end it didn't matter anyway.

That's funny, because your God has committed acts far worse than any of these.

If your God existed, this is the type of morality that we would have to follow:

"Now go and smite Amalek, and utterly destroy all that they have, and spare them not; but slay both man and woman, infant and suckling, ox and sheep, camel and a$$." (I Samuel 15:2-3)

What motivates you? Knowing that what I do now will matter when I die motivates me. I can't even imagine what kind of evil son of a b#tch I would be today given my godless past.

"It doesn't require divine sanction or permission. We are proud to say [morality] is innate in us, it is something we can all aspire to. But we do not get it from [God]. If we did, that would degrade it. It would mean it wasn't heroic, it wasn't brave, it wasn't individual, it wasn't exemplary. It didn't deserve anything because it would be in the hope of a either a reward from big brother or for fear of punishment. It abolishes morality, it destroys ethics!" - Christopher Hitchens
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
sadolite
Posts: 8,834
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2010 8:38:29 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/29/2010 8:28:00 PM, lovelife wrote:
At 9/29/2010 8:06:55 PM, sadolite wrote:
I was pondering again and wondered just what motivates an atheist to do anything. The only thing I could come up with is self absorbed vanity. If god does not exsist then nothing anyone does matters. There is no wrong or right.
A murdering, raping, pillaging scumbag atheist is no more wrong in what they do than say a law abiding atheist couple raising a child in a good home. The murderer does not care what people think or worry about their standard of living, but none the less fears no repercussions in the end.
The atheist couple raising the child and following the law will suffer no more or no less than the murderer in the end.
Neither has any meaning when the end comes for both. Ya you can make all the predictable arguments like for the good of society and laws make it possible for people to live together.
But ultimately the only reason I can think of as to why an atheist follows laws or does anything is to be liked by others or maintain a standard of living for ones self. Both are vanity, to keep up ones appearances in the eyes of others no matter what it takes. If you can fool some of them, so what. What they don't know doesn't hurt them. No harm no foul, because in the end it didn't matter anyway.

What motivates you? Knowing that what I do now will matter when I die motivates me. I can't even imagine what kind of evil son of a b#tch I would be today given my godless past.

"One hundred years from now
It won't matter
What kind of car I drove
What kind of house I lived in
How much money I had in the bank
Nor what my cloths looked like
BUT
The world may be a little better
Because, I was important
In the life of a child."

http://www.scrapbook.com...

As for myself I find the meaning of my life to bring happiness to myself and to others. A common theme among atheists seems to be spreading knowlage, living a good shackle free life, or expanding on what exists. I want to share love and life, and I want people to stop fighting about things that don't matter. I want no one to suffer, because I want the world to be good. Its not about selfishness I'd say, I'd rather die and the world become good with the hate out than to live how it is now. Since my death wouldn't actually cause the world to become better (despite what I think when I'm depressed) the best course of action for my goal is to spend my life working to make it better. To do my part to try and end cruelty, violence, hate, and to some extent ignorance.

"I"was important
In the life of a child." Vanity
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
annhasle
Posts: 6,657
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2010 8:48:15 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/29/2010 8:06:55 PM, sadolite wrote:
I was pondering again and wondered just what motivates an atheist to do anything.

Do you use God as a motive to do EVERYTHING? No. I do my daily activities because I want to. A God is not necessary for motivation.

The only thing I could come up with is self absorbed vanity.

Uh-huh, and the idea that God created the whole universe just for you isn't self-absorbed at all.... Are you questioning our motives out of your own ignorance or spite?

If god does not exsist then nothing anyone does matters. There is no wrong or right.

For you, maybe. Others can derive meaning from the world without grandiose, implausible notions of a divine being. And yes, there are 'rights' and 'wrongs' for Atheists. There's just no such thing as objective rights and wrongs.

A murdering, raping, pillaging scumbag atheist is no more wrong in what they do than say a law abiding atheist couple raising a child in a good home. The murderer does not care what people think or worry about their standard of living, but none the less fears no repercussions in the end.

You're comparing a law abiding atheist couple in a good home to a murdering, raping, pillaging scumbag? Wow... /facepalm

Atheists do not fear repercussions in the afterlife. But I assure you, we still have consciences. And most have an idea of wrong and right, too. The only difference is... theirs didn't come from a Holy Scripture. Why do I need a Bible, Qu'ran or Torah to decide what's wrong and right?

The atheist couple raising the child and following the law will suffer no more or no less than the murderer in the end.

And neither will a Christian loving family. If there's no afterlife, that means EVERYONE regardless of theology, will not suffer.

Neither has any meaning when the end comes for both. Ya you can make all the predictable arguments like for the good of society and laws make it possible for people to live together.

And you inherently have more meaning than I do? If there's no afterlife, you're going to rot the same way I will.

But ultimately the only reason I can think of as to why an atheist follows laws or does anything is to be liked by others or maintain a standard of living for ones self. Both are vanity, to keep up ones appearances in the eyes of others no matter what it takes. If you can fool some of them, so what. What they don't know doesn't hurt them. No harm no foul, because in the end it didn't matter anyway.

Vanity? Not believing in a God makes me VAIN? FAIL.

You can spout off as much as you want about your assumptions of atheist's vanity and overall amorality... but that's not true. At all. Why? Because atheists CAN have morals. MOST do. Personally, I'm not the best person to argue with about morality since I'm a moral skeptic. So I'll let someone else whoop your @ss on that one. Lol

What motivates you? Knowing that what I do now will matter when I die motivates me. I can't even imagine what kind of evil son of a b#tch I would be today given my godless past.

So what motivates you is a good review by your God in the end? So you can have eternal pleasure? And THAT'S not self-absorbed?

And when an atheist chooses to do good, we're vain? Guess what, atheists do good regardless of gifts or punishments in the end. They do good because it's important to them. Wow... they're horrible!
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
lovelife
Posts: 14,629
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2010 8:56:06 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/29/2010 8:38:29 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 9/29/2010 8:28:00 PM, lovelife wrote:
At 9/29/2010 8:06:55 PM, sadolite wrote:
I was pondering again and wondered just what motivates an atheist to do anything. The only thing I could come up with is self absorbed vanity. If god does not exsist then nothing anyone does matters. There is no wrong or right.
A murdering, raping, pillaging scumbag atheist is no more wrong in what they do than say a law abiding atheist couple raising a child in a good home. The murderer does not care what people think or worry about their standard of living, but none the less fears no repercussions in the end.
The atheist couple raising the child and following the law will suffer no more or no less than the murderer in the end.
Neither has any meaning when the end comes for both. Ya you can make all the predictable arguments like for the good of society and laws make it possible for people to live together.
But ultimately the only reason I can think of as to why an atheist follows laws or does anything is to be liked by others or maintain a standard of living for ones self. Both are vanity, to keep up ones appearances in the eyes of others no matter what it takes. If you can fool some of them, so what. What they don't know doesn't hurt them. No harm no foul, because in the end it didn't matter anyway.

What motivates you? Knowing that what I do now will matter when I die motivates me. I can't even imagine what kind of evil son of a b#tch I would be today given my godless past.

"One hundred years from now
It won't matter
What kind of car I drove
What kind of house I lived in
How much money I had in the bank
Nor what my cloths looked like
BUT
The world may be a little better
Because, I was important
In the life of a child."

http://www.scrapbook.com...

As for myself I find the meaning of my life to bring happiness to myself and to others. A common theme among atheists seems to be spreading knowlage, living a good shackle free life, or expanding on what exists. I want to share love and life, and I want people to stop fighting about things that don't matter. I want no one to suffer, because I want the world to be good. Its not about selfishness I'd say, I'd rather die and the world become good with the hate out than to live how it is now. Since my death wouldn't actually cause the world to become better (despite what I think when I'm depressed) the best course of action for my goal is to spend my life working to make it better. To do my part to try and end cruelty, violence, hate, and to some extent ignorance.

"I"was important
In the life of a child." Vanity

Make your point.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
sadolite
Posts: 8,834
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2010 8:56:46 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/29/2010 8:29:06 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 9/29/2010 8:06:55 PM, sadolite wrote:
I was pondering again and wondered just what motivates an atheist to do anything.

Fun, pleasure, success, love, happiness, wealth, family. All are things that exist without a need for God.

If god does not exsist then nothing anyone does matters.

"If God existed, it would be necessary to abolish him." -- Mikhail Bakunin

There is no wrong or right.

There are many moral theories that don't require God.

Ethical Naturalism: Ethical sentences express propositions. Some such propositions are true. Those propositions are made true by objective features of the world, independent of human opinion.

Deontological Ethics: an approach to ethics that determines goodness or rightness from examining acts, rather than third-party consequences of the act as in consequentialism, or the intentions of the person doing the act as in virtue ethics. Deontologists look at rules and duties.

Moral Universalism: the meta-ethical position that some system of ethics, or a universal ethic, applies universally, that is, for "all similarly situated individuals"[1], regardless of culture, race, sex, religion, nationality, sexuality, or other distinguishing feature.

Theory of Intentionality: German philosopher Martin Heidegger (Being and Time), defined intentionality as "care" (Sorge), a sentient condition where an individual's existentiality, facticity, and forfeiture to the world identifies their ontological significance, in contrast to that which is the mere ontic (thinghood).

Source: Wikipedia

A murdering, raping, pillaging scumbag atheist is no more wrong in what they do than say a law abiding atheist couple raising a child in a good home. The murderer does not care what people think or worry about their standard of living, but none the less fears no repercussions in the end.
The atheist couple raising the child and following the law will suffer no more or no less than the murderer in the end.
Neither has any meaning when the end comes for both. Ya you can make all the predictable arguments like for the good of society and laws make it possible for people to live together.
But ultimately the only reason I can think of as to why an atheist follows laws or does anything is to be liked by others or maintain a standard of living for ones self. Both are vanity, to keep up ones appearances in the eyes of others no matter what it takes. If you can fool some of them, so what. What they don't know doesn't hurt them. No harm no foul, because in the end it didn't matter anyway.

That's funny, because your God has committed acts far worse than any of these.

If your God existed, this is the type of morality that we would have to follow:

"Now go and smite Amalek, and utterly destroy all that they have, and spare them not; but slay both man and woman, infant and suckling, ox and sheep, camel and a$$." (I Samuel 15:2-3)

What motivates you? Knowing that what I do now will matter when I die motivates me. I can't even imagine what kind of evil son of a b#tch I would be today given my godless past.

"It doesn't require divine sanction or permission. We are proud to say [morality] is innate in us, it is something we can all aspire to. But we do not get it from [God]. If we did, that would degrade it. It would mean it wasn't heroic, it wasn't brave, it wasn't individual, it wasn't exemplary. It didn't deserve anything because it would be in the hope of a either a reward from big brother or for fear of punishment. It abolishes morality, it destroys ethics!" - Christopher Hitchens

Fun, pleasure, success, love, happiness, wealth, family.

Self indulgent "vanity" None of it matters in the end.

I used to think trowing rocks at passing cars was "fun"

I useed to take great "pleasure" in deciving women just to get them to sleep with me.

I used to tell women that I "loved" them to get what I wanted.

I was "happy" smoking pot and drinking until all hours of the night.

I used to rip people off to gain "wealth"

Didn't want a family. Didn't see the point. That was just a prison of self sacrifice for the things that made me "happy".

All the garble about god and what other men say about god, irrelevant. What motivates you other than vanity.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
sadolite
Posts: 8,834
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2010 8:58:20 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/29/2010 8:43:13 PM, TulleKrazy wrote:
What motivates a theist to do anything? Fear?

Now your getting it. What I do now matterrs when I die.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
sadolite
Posts: 8,834
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2010 9:02:49 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/29/2010 8:48:15 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 9/29/2010 8:06:55 PM, sadolite wrote:
I was pondering again and wondered just what motivates an atheist to do anything.

Do you use God as a motive to do EVERYTHING? No. I do my daily activities because I want to. A God is not necessary for motivation.

The only thing I could come up with is self absorbed vanity.

Uh-huh, and the idea that God created the whole universe just for you isn't self-absorbed at all.... Are you questioning our motives out of your own ignorance or spite?

If god does not exsist then nothing anyone does matters. There is no wrong or right.

For you, maybe. Others can derive meaning from the world without grandiose, implausible notions of a divine being. And yes, there are 'rights' and 'wrongs' for Atheists. There's just no such thing as objective rights and wrongs.

A murdering, raping, pillaging scumbag atheist is no more wrong in what they do than say a law abiding atheist couple raising a child in a good home. The murderer does not care what people think or worry about their standard of living, but none the less fears no repercussions in the end.

You're comparing a law abiding atheist couple in a good home to a murdering, raping, pillaging scumbag? Wow... /facepalm

Atheists do not fear repercussions in the afterlife. But I assure you, we still have consciences. And most have an idea of wrong and right, too. The only difference is... theirs didn't come from a Holy Scripture. Why do I need a Bible, Qu'ran or Torah to decide what's wrong and right?


The atheist couple raising the child and following the law will suffer no more or no less than the murderer in the end.

And neither will a Christian loving family. If there's no afterlife, that means EVERYONE regardless of theology, will not suffer.

Neither has any meaning when the end comes for both. Ya you can make all the predictable arguments like for the good of society and laws make it possible for people to live together.

And you inherently have more meaning than I do? If there's no afterlife, you're going to rot the same way I will.

But ultimately the only reason I can think of as to why an atheist follows laws or does anything is to be liked by others or maintain a standard of living for ones self. Both are vanity, to keep up ones appearances in the eyes of others no matter what it takes. If you can fool some of them, so what. What they don't know doesn't hurt them. No harm no foul, because in the end it didn't matter anyway.

Vanity? Not believing in a God makes me VAIN? FAIL.

You can spout off as much as you want about your assumptions of atheist's vanity and overall amorality... but that's not true. At all. Why? Because atheists CAN have morals. MOST do. Personally, I'm not the best person to argue with about morality since I'm a moral skeptic. So I'll let someone else whoop your @ss on that one. Lol

What motivates you? Knowing that what I do now will matter when I die motivates me. I can't even imagine what kind of evil son of a b#tch I would be today given my godless past.

So what motivates you is a good review by your God in the end? So you can have eternal pleasure? And THAT'S not self-absorbed?

And when an atheist chooses to do good, we're vain? Guess what, atheists do good regardless of gifts or punishments in the end. They do good because it's important to them. Wow... they're horrible!

"You're comparing a law abiding atheist couple in a good home to a murdering, raping, pillaging scumbag? Wow."

I said both were atheists. You convenienly left the word atheist out when you cut and pasted what I wrote. Dishonesty what would god think.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
nonentity
Posts: 5,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2010 9:04:10 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/29/2010 8:58:20 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 9/29/2010 8:43:13 PM, TulleKrazy wrote:
What motivates a theist to do anything? Fear?

Now your getting it. What I do now matterrs when I die.

And what if it doesn't? Everything in this life is meaningless/worthless/valueless... o_O
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2010 9:06:01 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/29/2010 8:58:20 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 9/29/2010 8:43:13 PM, TulleKrazy wrote:
What motivates a theist to do anything? Fear?

Now your getting it. What I do now matterrs when I die.

"Truth is subject to practice and testing. If it is proper Truth, we definitely should be able to acquire sweet fruits through practice right away. If it only abstractly promises a reward in the next life, this may be an irresponsible trick to delude the ignorant." -- the Buddha

"Gripped by fear people go to sacred mountains, sacred groves, sacred trees and shrines." -- the Buddha
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
annhasle
Posts: 6,657
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2010 9:07:29 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/29/2010 9:02:49 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 9/29/2010 8:48:15 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 9/29/2010 8:06:55 PM, sadolite wrote:

I said both were atheists. You convenienly left the word atheist out when you cut and pasted what I wrote.

I thought that would be implied and understood. I apologize for my mistake.

Regardless, the atheist who happens to be a murderer, pillager, rapist, etc. probably has different ethics/morals than the loving, law abiding atheist couple. And even though both realize they turn into human fertilizer at the end, they are still bound to societal regulations and laws while alive. So, in the end, EVERYONE is going to rot so why judge them based on that? What are you trying to accomplish here?

And are you going to respond to any of my other points?
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
tvellalott
Posts: 10,864
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2010 9:10:47 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/29/2010 8:17:11 PM, Puck wrote:
http://blogs.discovermagazine.com...

This, a hundred times this!
That one is going in the meme folder.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
sadolite
Posts: 8,834
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2010 9:11:32 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/29/2010 9:02:49 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 9/29/2010 8:48:15 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 9/29/2010 8:06:55 PM, sadolite wrote:
I was pondering again and wondered just what motivates an atheist to do anything.

Do you use God as a motive to do EVERYTHING? No. I do my daily activities because I want to. A God is not necessary for motivation.

The only thing I could come up with is self absorbed vanity.

Uh-huh, and the idea that God created the whole universe just for you isn't self-absorbed at all.... Are you questioning our motives out of your own ignorance or spite?

If god does not exsist then nothing anyone does matters. There is no wrong or right.

For you, maybe. Others can derive meaning from the world without grandiose, implausible notions of a divine being. And yes, there are 'rights' and 'wrongs' for Atheists. There's just no such thing as objective rights and wrongs.

A murdering, raping, pillaging scumbag atheist is no more wrong in what they do than say a law abiding atheist couple raising a child in a good home. The murderer does not care what people think or worry about their standard of living, but none the less fears no repercussions in the end.

You're comparing a law abiding atheist couple in a good home to a murdering, raping, pillaging scumbag? Wow... /facepalm

Atheists do not fear repercussions in the afterlife. But I assure you, we still have consciences. And most have an idea of wrong and right, too. The only difference is... theirs didn't come from a Holy Scripture. Why do I need a Bible, Qu'ran or Torah to decide what's wrong and right?


The atheist couple raising the child and following the law will suffer no more or no less than the murderer in the end.

And neither will a Christian loving family. If there's no afterlife, that means EVERYONE regardless of theology, will not suffer.

Neither has any meaning when the end comes for both. Ya you can make all the predictable arguments like for the good of society and laws make it possible for people to live together.

And you inherently have more meaning than I do? If there's no afterlife, you're going to rot the same way I will.

But ultimately the only reason I can think of as to why an atheist follows laws or does anything is to be liked by others or maintain a standard of living for ones self. Both are vanity, to keep up ones appearances in the eyes of others no matter what it takes. If you can fool some of them, so what. What they don't know doesn't hurt them. No harm no foul, because in the end it didn't matter anyway.

Vanity? Not believing in a God makes me VAIN? FAIL.

You can spout off as much as you want about your assumptions of atheist's vanity and overall amorality... but that's not true. At all. Why? Because atheists CAN have morals. MOST do. Personally, I'm not the best person to argue with about morality since I'm a moral skeptic. So I'll let someone else whoop your @ss on that one. Lol

What motivates you? Knowing that what I do now will matter when I die motivates me. I can't even imagine what kind of evil son of a b#tch I would be today given my godless past.

So what motivates you is a good review by your God in the end? So you can have eternal pleasure? And THAT'S not self-absorbed?

And when an atheist chooses to do good, we're vain? Guess what, atheists do good regardless of gifts or punishments in the end. They do good because it's important to them. Wow... they're horrible!

"You're comparing a law abiding atheist couple in a good home to a murdering, raping, pillaging scumbag? Wow."

I said both were atheists. You conveniently left the word atheist out when you cut and pasted what I wrote. Dishonesty what would god think.

"Because atheists CAN have morals." What for, if for no other reason than to sustain a standard of living or to make people like them. "Vanity" In the end it doesn't matter if an atheist is a murderer or a rapist. And who cares what legacy they leave behind, good or bad. That doesn't matter either. What does an atheist care what life is like after they are dead and gone. They wont even be aware of anything.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
sadolite
Posts: 8,834
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2010 9:14:40 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/29/2010 8:17:11 PM, Puck wrote:
http://blogs.discovermagazine.com...

Say something in your own words.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
tvellalott
Posts: 10,864
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2010 9:15:46 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/29/2010 9:14:40 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 9/29/2010 8:17:11 PM, Puck wrote:
http://blogs.discovermagazine.com...


Say something in your own words.

Haha, you are asking for trouble.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
Kleptin
Posts: 5,095
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2010 9:20:36 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Right and wrong don't inherently exist. It's about how much society psychologically causes us to mentally guilt or reward ourselves for certain acts and situations. Every cultural group has methods of communication called "the media". Through basic face-to-face interaction and the media, rules develop that are based loosely on the biological methods by which we act as a non-self destructive society. Some of these rules are more legitimate than others.

This explains why people have a pretty clear view the majority of the time as to what is evil and what is good, why many rules are seen shared between very different cultures, and also why rules differ from culture to culture.

Morality is dynamic, but it is neither objective nor subjective in the true sense of those two words.

This also explains why people have strong moral beliefs REGARDLESS of their religious beliefs. The pain we feel when we do something we believe to be immoral is real. So is the reward we feel when we do something we believe to be moral. It is ingrained in us in a primitive and psychological way. We don't decide on the morality of our acts through intense philosophical analysis before we decide whether we feel good or bad about it.

Although you can say that atheists really have no purpose in life and that their acts can be as evil as possible and they shouldn't care, they do. They care because good and evil bypass thinking and elicit an emotional response.

Just as Atheists can feel love, just as atheists can give love, just as atheists can be happy, sad, angry, etc. so can they feel a moral pull.

It has nothing to do with God.
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
sadolite
Posts: 8,834
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2010 9:23:01 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/29/2010 9:07:29 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 9/29/2010 9:02:49 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 9/29/2010 8:48:15 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 9/29/2010 8:06:55 PM, sadolite wrote:

I said both were atheists. You convenienly left the word atheist out when you cut and pasted what I wrote.

I thought that would be implied and understood. I apologize for my mistake.

Regardless, the atheist who happens to be a murderer, pillager, rapist, etc. probably has different ethics/morals than the loving, law abiding atheist couple. And even though both realize they turn into human fertilizer at the end, they are still bound to societal regulations and laws while alive. So, in the end, EVERYONE is going to rot so why judge them based on that? What are you trying to accomplish here?

And are you going to respond to any of my other points?

"they are still bound to societal regulations and laws while alive." How do you figure the murdering rapist is bound by anything. rules and regulations are for people who follow rules and regulations. There are two kinds of people who follow rules and regulations. The first kind does so because they know it is the right thing to do. The second kind does it to maintain a standard of living and a upstanding appearance in society.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
annhasle
Posts: 6,657
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2010 9:23:15 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/29/2010 9:11:32 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 9/29/2010 9:02:49 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 9/29/2010 8:48:15 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 9/29/2010 8:06:55 PM, sadolite wrote:

"Because atheists CAN have morals." What for, if for no other reason than to sustain a standard of living or to make people like them.

Do all atheists have to be motivated by fear or personal gain in the afterlife to give a damn about their lives? Having a God does not mean you inherent his 'perfect' morality! You are just as susceptible to immoral actions as an atheist. You just have more to fear in the end.

"Vanity" In the end it doesn't matter if an atheist is a murderer or a rapist.

And a Christian murderer matters in the end? A Jewish rapist matters also? Why? Explain.

And who cares what legacy they leave behind, good or bad. That doesn't matter either.

There are countless atheists who have left behind AMAZING legacies. And while they're alive that does not matter (since they do not have a 'legacy' until they pass), but it's the ones who are alive after they pass away that keep their legacies alive. And I'd be honored if I could live an influential enough life to pass my views through the generations and for others to see the world as I do.

Will you care about your legacy when you're floating around up in heaven?

What does an atheist care what life is like after they are dead and gone. They wont even be aware of anything.

FAIL. A God does not give you more ability to care about others or the generations to come.

This is just sad.
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
annhasle
Posts: 6,657
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2010 9:27:49 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/29/2010 9:23:01 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 9/29/2010 9:07:29 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 9/29/2010 9:02:49 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 9/29/2010 8:48:15 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 9/29/2010 8:06:55 PM, sadolite wrote:

I said both were atheists. You convenienly left the word atheist out when you cut and pasted what I wrote.

I thought that would be implied and understood. I apologize for my mistake.

Regardless, the atheist who happens to be a murderer, pillager, rapist, etc. probably has different ethics/morals than the loving, law abiding atheist couple. And even though both realize they turn into human fertilizer at the end, they are still bound to societal regulations and laws while alive. So, in the end, EVERYONE is going to rot so why judge them based on that? What are you trying to accomplish here?

And are you going to respond to any of my other points?

"they are still bound to societal regulations and laws while alive." How do you figure the murdering rapist is bound by anything. rules and regulations are for people who follow rules and regulations.

So, if I chose to kill someone, I wouldn't have any rules because I broke them? That makes absolutely no sense. Even those who commit crimes are bound to the rules and regulations of the land and will receive punishments.

There are two kinds of people who follow rules and regulations. The first kind does so because they know it is the right thing to do. The second kind does it to maintain a standard of living and a upstanding appearance in society.

You do realize that a theist and an atheist could fall into either category, don't you?

What about you? You do the 'right' thing because you fear God.
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
sadolite
Posts: 8,834
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2010 9:33:26 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/29/2010 8:06:55 PM, sadolite wrote:
I was pondering again and wondered just what motivates an atheist to do anything. The only thing I could come up with is self absorbed vanity. If god does not exsist then nothing anyone does matters. There is no wrong or right.
A murdering, raping, pillaging scumbag atheist is no more wrong in what they do than say a law abiding atheist couple raising a child in a good home. The murderer does not care what people think or worry about their standard of living, but none the less fears no repercussions in the end.
The atheist couple raising the child and following the law will suffer no more or no less than the murderer in the end.
Neither has any meaning when the end comes for both. Ya you can make all the predictable arguments like for the good of society and laws make it possible for people to live together.
But ultimately the only reason I can think of as to why an atheist follows laws or does anything is to be liked by others or maintain a standard of living for ones self. Both are vanity, to keep up ones appearances in the eyes of others no matter what it takes. If you can fool some of them, so what. What they don't know doesn't hurt them. No harm no foul, because in the end it didn't matter anyway.

What motivates you? Knowing that what I do now will matter when I die motivates me. I can't even imagine what kind of evil son of a b#tch I would be today given my godless past.

All right, All i need to know is what motivates atheists other than vanity. I don't need lectures about god or what your opinions of god are. Just what other than vanity motivates an atheist. And when you give a reason tell me why it is not "vanity" I don't anything to gain the acceptance of anyone I do what I do because it is the right thing to do and that is the only reason I do anything. Going on about every detail in one actions is just samantics. Why does an atheist conduct themselves in a law abiding way if for no other reason than vanity. Right and wrong are relative to an atheist I am told. So this can't be the reason. Morals are relative also.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
lovelife
Posts: 14,629
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2010 9:36:46 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/29/2010 9:11:32 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 9/29/2010 9:02:49 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 9/29/2010 8:48:15 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 9/29/2010 8:06:55 PM, sadolite wrote:
I was pondering again and wondered just what motivates an atheist to do anything.

Do you use God as a motive to do EVERYTHING? No. I do my daily activities because I want to. A God is not necessary for motivation.

The only thing I could come up with is self absorbed vanity.

Uh-huh, and the idea that God created the whole universe just for you isn't self-absorbed at all.... Are you questioning our motives out of your own ignorance or spite?

If god does not exsist then nothing anyone does matters. There is no wrong or right.

For you, maybe. Others can derive meaning from the world without grandiose, implausible notions of a divine being. And yes, there are 'rights' and 'wrongs' for Atheists. There's just no such thing as objective rights and wrongs.

A murdering, raping, pillaging scumbag atheist is no more wrong in what they do than say a law abiding atheist couple raising a child in a good home. The murderer does not care what people think or worry about their standard of living, but none the less fears no repercussions in the end.

You're comparing a law abiding atheist couple in a good home to a murdering, raping, pillaging scumbag? Wow... /facepalm

Atheists do not fear repercussions in the afterlife. But I assure you, we still have consciences. And most have an idea of wrong and right, too. The only difference is... theirs didn't come from a Holy Scripture. Why do I need a Bible, Qu'ran or Torah to decide what's wrong and right?


The atheist couple raising the child and following the law will suffer no more or no less than the murderer in the end.

And neither will a Christian loving family. If there's no afterlife, that means EVERYONE regardless of theology, will not suffer.

Neither has any meaning when the end comes for both. Ya you can make all the predictable arguments like for the good of society and laws make it possible for people to live together.

And you inherently have more meaning than I do? If there's no afterlife, you're going to rot the same way I will.

But ultimately the only reason I can think of as to why an atheist follows laws or does anything is to be liked by others or maintain a standard of living for ones self. Both are vanity, to keep up ones appearances in the eyes of others no matter what it takes. If you can fool some of them, so what. What they don't know doesn't hurt them. No harm no foul, because in the end it didn't matter anyway.

Vanity? Not believing in a God makes me VAIN? FAIL.

You can spout off as much as you want about your assumptions of atheist's vanity and overall amorality... but that's not true. At all. Why? Because atheists CAN have morals. MOST do. Personally, I'm not the best person to argue with about morality since I'm a moral skeptic. So I'll let someone else whoop your @ss on that one. Lol

What motivates you? Knowing that what I do now will matter when I die motivates me. I can't even imagine what kind of evil son of a b#tch I would be today given my godless past.

So what motivates you is a good review by your God in the end? So you can have eternal pleasure? And THAT'S not self-absorbed?

And when an atheist chooses to do good, we're vain? Guess what, atheists do good regardless of gifts or punishments in the end. They do good because it's important to them. Wow... they're horrible!

"You're comparing a law abiding atheist couple in a good home to a murdering, raping, pillaging scumbag? Wow."

I said both were atheists. You conveniently left the word atheist out when you cut and pasted what I wrote. Dishonesty what would god think.

"Because atheists CAN have morals." What for, if for no other reason than to sustain a standard of living or to make people like them. "Vanity" In the end it doesn't matter if an atheist is a murderer or a rapist. And who cares what legacy they leave behind, good or bad. That doesn't matter either. What does an atheist care what life is like after they are dead and gone. They wont even be aware of anything.

Live and die happy knowing that you are making a difference with your life, whether you share your love with one or 100, as long as there's something [good] worth remembering, your life was well spent.

After your dead you wont care, but why does that matter? After I eat the ice cream I will no longer have it, no longer taste it, so is it just pointless to eat it?
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
annhasle
Posts: 6,657
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2010 9:41:38 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/29/2010 9:33:26 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 9/29/2010 8:06:55 PM, sadolite wrote:

All right, All i need to know is what motivates atheists other than vanity.

You've been given answers to that already. Read the posts.

I don't need lectures about god or what your opinions of god are. Just what other than vanity motivates an atheist.

See above.

And when you give a reason tell me why it is not "vanity"

Do you know what vanity means?

I give money to the homeless when I see them because I want to help them. Am I being vain?

I don't anything to gain the acceptance of anyone I do what I do because it is the right thing to do and that is the only reason I do anything. Going on about every detail in one actions is just samantics.

You do everything in your life based on the acceptance of your God.

Why does an atheist conduct themselves in a law abiding way if for no other reason than vanity.

HOW MANY TIMES WILL WE HAVE TO REPEAT THIS ANSWER BEFORE YOU LISTEN??

Read. The. Damn. Posts.

Stop the stupidity. Please. >_<

Right and wrong are relative to an atheist I am told. So this can't be the reason. Morals are relative also.

Have you ever talked to Ragnar? From my understanding, he believes in Objective morals and right/wrong... and guess what? He's an Atheist.

But I'm also an atheist and don't believe in objective rights/wrongs. And I'm a moral skeptic.

Do you get it? EACH ATHEIST IS DIFFERENT.
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
Korashk
Posts: 4,597
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2010 9:42:11 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/29/2010 9:33:26 PM, sadolite wrote:
All right, All i need to know is what motivates atheists other than vanity.

Vanity -
*amour propre: feelings of excessive pride
*conceit: the trait of being unduly vain and conceited; false pride
*In conventional parlance, vanity is the excessive belief in one's own abilities or attractiveness to others.

Pick a new word.
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2010 9:44:49 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/29/2010 9:33:26 PM, sadolite wrote:
All right, All i need to know is what motivates atheists other than vanity. I don't need lectures about god or what your opinions of god are. Just what other than vanity motivates an atheist. And when you give a reason tell me why it is not "vanity" I don't anything to gain the acceptance of anyone I do what I do because it is the right thing to do and that is the only reason I do anything. Going on about every detail in one actions is just samantics. Why does an atheist conduct themselves in a law abiding way if for no other reason than vanity. Right and wrong are relative to an atheist I am told. So this can't be the reason. Morals are relative also.

Ok, so you are motivated by believing in and fearing a celestial dictator who judges you and decides your eternal fate. You are motivated by hoping to live in eternal slavery under an unchallengeable tyrannical authority FOR LIFE.

What motivates me? Living life to the fullest while it lasts. I don't need a God, I don't need an afterlife. Just living this life fully motivates me, or rather gives me something to live for. And with God out of the way, I am able to live freely. You value freedom right? That there should be enough to motivate you.

"Live life so totally, so intensely, be so aflame with it that when death comes there is no complaint, there is no grudge. You are absolutely ready because you have lived life so totally, you have known all its mysteries — there is no point in living anymore. Death has come exactly at the right time, when you may have thought to die yourself. I call that death perfect which comes at the moment when you yourself may have thought, "It is enough." -- Osho
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
nonentity
Posts: 5,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2010 9:53:54 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/29/2010 9:42:11 PM, Korashk wrote:
At 9/29/2010 9:33:26 PM, sadolite wrote:
All right, All i need to know is what motivates atheists other than vanity.

Vanity -
*amour propre: feelings of excessive pride
*conceit: the trait of being unduly vain and conceited; false pride
*In conventional parlance, vanity is the excessive belief in one's own abilities or attractiveness to others.

Pick a new word.

It can also mean lack of value. He hasn't adequately explained how any of this falls under vanity, though, or why being a non-atheist would be any better.
tvellalott
Posts: 10,864
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2010 10:03:44 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
This is such a troll thread.
Don't be hating on Atheist because you're envious of us.
There is always some arsehole Christian who comes in saying that we can't have any morals because we don't believe in God. We both know that is complete rubbish.

This sort of attitude does so much more harm than good. I've ALWAYS been an Atheist. I was raised completely without Religion. My mum was into Wicca but she is an Atheist Wiccan. My dad is a full-blown Atheist. According to your logic, I should be out murdering old ladies or something. It is completely ridiculous.

LOOK: If being a Theist had any correlation with how good a person you were, a lot of us anti-theists wouldn't exist. It doesn't.
The fact of the matter is the Catholic church, the largest Christian institution in the world is rampant with corrupt, decedent, filthy child-abusers. Get off your moron soap-box and get a reality check.

Morals have nothing to do with God.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...