Jump to topic:

Are homosexuals "sinners"?

zoinks
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2015 12:37:23 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
I have heard many professed Christians and Jews state claims that are equal to "homosexuality is a sin" or "homosexuals are sinners".

I would like someone to explain WHY they believe this to be the case, as this is a rare case where it seems logic supports (a form of) both sides of the argument.
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2015 1:07:17 AM
At 11/22/2015 12:37:23 AM, zoinks wrote:
I have heard many professed Christians and Jews state claims that are equal to "homosexuality is a sin" or "homosexuals are sinners".

I would like someone to explain WHY they believe this to be the case, as this is a rare case where it seems logic supports (a form of) both sides of the argument.

Some I think make a distinction between same sex attraction and same sex acts and thus only condemn the acts.

There main reason is this, there is a "God", God has a "law" same sex acts go against that "law".
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
tstor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2015 1:08:54 AM

I am a Christian, but I will attempt and answer from both a Jewish and Christian position. The Jewish position is derived from verses such as Leviticus 18:22:
"'Do not have sexual relations with a man as one does with a woman; that is detestable." (NIV)

The Christian position is derived from verses such as 1 Corinthians 6:9:
"Or do you not know that wrongdoers will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor men who have sex with men" (NIV)
"The afternoon came down as imperceptibly as age comes to a happy man. A little gold entered into the sunlight. The bay became bluer and dimpled with shore-wind ripples. Those lonely fishermen who believe that the fish bite at high tide left their rocks, and their places were taken by others, who were convinced that the fish bite at low tide." (John Steinbeck; Tortilla Flat, 1935)
tstor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2015 1:10:32 AM

Or are you asking about the difference between the two statements? They are the same. If homosexuality is a sin, then homosexuals are sinners. Similar to how lying is a sin, so liars are sinners.
"The afternoon came down as imperceptibly as age comes to a happy man. A little gold entered into the sunlight. The bay became bluer and dimpled with shore-wind ripples. Those lonely fishermen who believe that the fish bite at high tide left their rocks, and their places were taken by others, who were convinced that the fish bite at low tide." (John Steinbeck; Tortilla Flat, 1935)
desmac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2015 11:11:18 AM
Of course homosexuals are sinners. As are Atheists, believers in non Judeo Christian gods, soldiers, cops and executioners who kill in the line of duty, anyone who has sex before or outside of marriage, anyone who lets slip a swear word, and anyone who disagrees with their mum and dad.

There's an awful lot of us sinners out there.
graceofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2015 11:27:40 AM

The bible is quite clear in that "homosexuality is a sin", not sure if this is what you mean but in essence having "gay" feelings is a temptation, if you do not act on those temptations arguably you have not sinned as you never gave in to the temptation and each time you do not give in perhaps it would get easier and even cease...

The fly in the ointment though could be that Jesus said "even if a man looks upon a woman lustfully, he has sinned in his heart"... so it would make sense that that would apply to homosexuals who look but don't touch so to speak...
dsjpk5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2015 12:03:17 PM

They are ONLY if they engage in that type of sex. Why? Because the Bible says so.
If that was the only issue, then vote moderation could be avoided more often, since a vote in which the voter does explain sufficiently how at least one point a debater made swung their vote, would be considered sufficient. -Airmax
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2015 1:17:28 PM
Of course they are if LOVE is a sin.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2015 3:22:27 PM

It's often a case of hypocrisy, in which those who are the louder/loudest homophobes are the ones committing the most sins themselves.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
Micheal21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2015 3:51:07 PM

I've been told that it's a sin. Although, I really wonder if that's the kind of message God wanted to get through to us. What I'm trying to say is that I've honestly witnessed some hate-filled preaching about homosexuality. About how they're abominations and how a father should beat the homosexuality (yes, I've actually heard that) out of his son or to rape the gayness out of your daughter. Or that they should kill them.

http://m.youtube.com...

I personally do not agree with these messages and I feel other Christians don't as well. I don't believe that God would ever advocate violence against gay people. I feel it is their lifestyle and we don't have the right to try and make them change. I believe in a God, but I also believe that he is all love and accepting. We can only wait until judgement day to see what HE chooses as a worthy lifestyle, not what these pastors deem it so.
graceofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2015 3:54:06 PM
At 11/22/2015 3:51:07 PM, Micheal21 wrote:

I've been told that it's a sin. Although, I really wonder if that's the kind of message God wanted to get through to us. What I'm trying to say is that I've honestly witnessed some hate-filled preaching about homosexuality. About how they're abominations and how a father should beat the homosexuality (yes, I've actually heard that) out of his son or to rape the gayness out of your daughter. Or that they should kill them.

I personally do not agree with these messages and I feel other Christians don't as well. I don't believe that God would ever advocate violence against gay people. I feel it is their lifestyle and we don't have the right to try and make them change. I believe in a God, but I also believe that he is all love and accepting. We can only wait until judgement day to see what HE chooses as a worthy lifestyle, not what these pastors deem it so.

never heard an aggressive word against gays from any pastor or biblical teacher, islam on the other hand will kill them...

I would say homosexuality is as much a sin as any other, no more no less, it can be forgiven....
Micheal21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2015 4:09:30 PM
At 11/22/2015 3:54:06 PM, graceofgod wrote:

never heard an aggressive word against gays from any pastor or biblical teacher, islam on the other hand will kill them...

I would say homosexuality is as much a sin as any other, no more no less, it can be forgiven....

Good, then you're attending the right Churches. These pastors on the other hand should learn how to love unconditionally and leave the judgements for God.
graceofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2015 4:37:50 PM
At 11/22/2015 4:09:30 PM, Micheal21 wrote:

Good, then you're attending the right Churches. These pastors on the other hand should learn how to love unconditionally and leave the judgements for God.

It has nothing to do with what church you attend it has everything to do with your relationship With Jesus and staying in the word without compromise..

loving unconditionally is not the problem not telling them the true standards God expects is the problem, if you are one of these people who say "God is love" so you can do what ever you like all your life you are leading them to hell...
zoinks
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2015 4:49:41 PM
At 11/22/2015 1:10:32 AM, tstor wrote:

Or are you asking about the difference between the two statements? They are the same. If homosexuality is a sin, then homosexuals are sinners. Similar to how lying is a sin, so liars are sinners.

The reason I ask is because from the standpoint of the Bible, homosexuals are certainly sinners (there are several scriptures which could be quoted but most people are familiar with the concept).

However, so is everyone else, according to Romans 3:23.

If you are Christian, the very man you worship has asked you not to judge others' sin as somehow worse than your own (Matthew 7:3-5).

Logically speaking, therefore, the Christian perspective should be while homosexuals are certainly sinners, their sin is no worse or better than that of anyone else.
zoinks
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2015 4:50:25 PM
At 11/22/2015 11:27:40 AM, graceofgod wrote:

The bible is quite clear in that "homosexuality is a sin", not sure if this is what you mean but in essence having "gay" feelings is a temptation, if you do not act on those temptations arguably you have not sinned as you never gave in to the temptation and each time you do not give in perhaps it would get easier and even cease...

The fly in the ointment though could be that Jesus said "even if a man looks upon a woman lustfully, he has sinned in his heart"... so it would make sense that that would apply to homosexuals who look but don't touch so to speak...

The reason I ask is because from the standpoint of the Bible, homosexuals are certainly sinners (there are several scriptures which could be quoted but most people are familiar with the concept).

If you are Christian, the very man you worship has asked you not to judge others' sin as somehow worse than your own (Matthew 7:3-5).

Logically speaking, therefore, the Christian perspective should be while homosexuals are certainly sinners, their sin is no worse or better than that of anyone else.
zoinks
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2015 4:50:47 PM
At 11/22/2015 1:17:28 PM, bulproof wrote:
Of course they are if LOVE is a sin.

zoinks
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2015 4:51:16 PM

Micheal21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2015 4:52:40 PM
At 11/22/2015 4:37:50 PM, graceofgod wrote:

It has nothing to do with what church you attend it has everything to do with your relationship With Jesus and staying in the word without compromise..

loving unconditionally is not the problem not telling them the true standards God expects is the problem, if you are one of these people who say "God is love" so you can do what ever you like all your life you are leading them to hell...

Well, how about you practice your hate and I'll practice God's love for all of his children . I think that's a fair outcome. Have a blessed day :)
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2015 5:38:53 PM
It doesn't matter whether they are sinners or not, there is nothing when you die, no reward or punishment just oblivion.
Pull on your big boy pants and get over it.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
tstor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2015 5:44:12 PM
At 11/22/2015 4:49:41 PM, zoinks wrote:

I agree completely.
graceofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2015 5:45:21 PM
At 11/22/2015 4:50:25 PM, zoinks wrote:

I don't judge other peoples sins that is God's job, my job, for want of a better word is to spread the gospel, which is in part what God expects from us..

Any Christian who is saying "God is love, so just live how ever you want" is a very dangerous person...
graceofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2015 5:47:03 PM
At 11/22/2015 4:52:40 PM, Micheal21 wrote:
At 11/22/2015 4:37:50 PM, graceofgod wrote:

Well, how about you practice your hate and I'll practice God's love for all of his children . I think that's a fair outcome. Have a blessed day :)

How about I practice spreading the word of God, which means telling some people they need to get away from sin by following him...

And you carry on playing pc who leads sinners to hell... you seem to adept at that...
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2015 5:58:13 PM
At 11/22/2015 5:45:21 PM, graceofgod wrote:

I don't judge other peoples sins that is God's job, my job, for want of a better word is to spread the gospel, which is in part what God expects from us..

No, that is just another lame excuse for you to be an arrogant hypocrite. You bleat to others as to how they are supposed to live, but never actually practice what you preach yourself. God may expect you to love and worship Him, which you are completely free to do, but God expects you to do so behind closed doors where it belongs.

Any Christian who is saying "God is love, so just live how ever you want" is a very dangerous person...
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
graceofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2015 6:08:58 PM
At 11/22/2015 5:58:13 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

No, that is just another lame excuse for you to be an arrogant hypocrite. You bleat to others as to how they are supposed to live, but never actually practice what you preach yourself. God may expect you to love and worship Him, which you are completely free to do, but God expects you to do so behind closed doors where it belongs.

no God will judge.... on the final day...

you have no idea how I live my life...

exactly where the gays should have left their behaviour...behind closed doors where no one knows... except God of course...

again you show you don't want equality... add christianophobe to heterophobe...
DanMGTOW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2015 6:12:00 PM

the obvious answer is because the bible says that men having sex with men is a sin, and an abomination, and worthy of the death penalty
and since most christians think that the bible can't be wrong, then that is the end of the discussion
however the bible doesn't say anything against lesbians, or rape
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2015 6:17:11 PM
At 11/22/2015 6:08:58 PM, graceofgod wrote:

That is your irrational belief, not mine.

It doesn't matter, you nor anyone else follows the Bible to the word. Hence, you too are a sinner, hence a hypocrite.

exactly where the gays should have left their behaviour...behind closed doors where no one knows... except God of course...

What behavior? Are gays telling you how to live your life, are they telling you you'll burn for an eternity if you don't live how they tell you.

Do you ever actually think before you write something?

Uh no, it is YOU who does not want equality. Are you feeling victimized now because you can't tell others they're going to hell?

Heterophobe? Are you really that stupid?
graceofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2015 6:24:10 PM
At 11/22/2015 6:17:11 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

It doesn't matter, you nor anyone else follows the Bible to the word. Hence, you too are a sinner, hence a hypocrite.

What behavior? Are gays telling you how to live your life, are they telling you you'll burn for an eternity if you don't live how they tell you.

Uh no, it is YOU who does not want equality. Are you feeling victimized now because you can't tell others they're going to hell?

lol... who are you to say what the word of God does and does not say..

yes I am a sinner but saved by his righteousness not mine, so again you show no knowledge of the word you discount and you discount ot because you would sooner live in the sin of homosexuality...

heterphobic, christianophobe.... who does not want equality but just wants to force people in to saying gay is normal....
desmac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2015 6:39:52 PM
At 11/22/2015 6:24:10 PM, graceofgod wrote:

yes I am a sinner but saved by his righteousness not mine, so again you show no knowledge of the word you discount and you discount ot because you would sooner live in the sin of homosexuality...

heterphobic, christianophobe.... who does not want equality but just wants to force people in to saying gay is normal....

Gay is normal. To homosexuals.

What right do you have to tell anybody how to live their lives?
graceofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2015 6:41:22 PM
At 11/22/2015 6:39:52 PM, desmac wrote:
At 11/22/2015 6:24:10 PM, graceofgod wrote:

Gay is normal. To homosexuals.

What right do you have to tell anybody how to live their lives?

if they kept it in their own bedrooms more people would be fine with it....