Jump to topic:

How To have an intelligent discussion 2/3

Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2015 12:41:11 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Part one of this discussion can be found here. http://www.debate.org...

It focuses on what to evaluate when somebody makes a claim, and also what type of evidence you might want to bring to a discussion, when making a claim, particularly one involving beliefs that go against conventional wisdom or the status quo beliefs of people on the forum. Philosophical claims, will obviously require a different sort of approach. Nobody is expected to provide physical evidence of the Kalam Cosmological Argument, as the argument is arrived at, directly from logic. (Flawed or not.

Here are some basic rules, which obviously are completely voluntary as I have no authority, but a good ideal to keep discussions civil and intelligent. Not all people will agree with these rules, and some will vehemently disagree with some, but I think a forum works better with these sometimes controversial rules in place.

Guidelines For an Intelligent Discussion

1. Avoid one liners like the plague. I don't care what anybody says, it's spam and completely unneccesary. Keep the LOL's to yourself. Keep the that a boys or insults out of the thread. If you feel a one liner is absolutely neccesary, PM somebody. When intelligent people come to the forum and want to have an engaging conversation, it's distracting and discouraging to wade through a hundred one line posts, before getting to something of substance. Every single post should have something of substance in it, otherwise, why are you posting?

2. Use good grammar. Hey, I know my grammar is bad. I know people are here who don't have English as their primary language. I'm just saying that you should try your best. Twitter speak, slang, LOL and intentionally misspelled words, make you look stupid, and for good reason.

3. Don't be a jerk. Don't insult somebody for their beliefs. Don't call them stupid. Don't be mean. Just be nice. If you don't have something nice to say, than shut up. Once you get frustrated and act like a jerk, the conversation deteriorates.

4. Don't take things personal. You are not your beliefs or your arguments. Just relax and look at things in a calm dispassionate manner. If somebody is actually insulting you, report them. There is a report button somewhere, use it.

5. No preaching. This is a debate site. Come with some premises, and if your premises fail, than admit it and move on. It doesn't mean you have to accept being wrong. It just means you need to start back at square one.

6. No multiple threads. Multiple threads are annoying. Look a few pages back to see if what you're discussing has been discussed recently. This is another reason why one liners are bad. It increases the amount of times that a topic needs to be discussed, because nobody wants to read through a thread with 500 one line replies and 15 posts that have substance. This means that the same topics, must repeatedly be talked about from scratch, with no progress made.

That's it. This is simple. Bookmark this, put it in your signatures and discuss it. Part 3 of this series will discuss how to handle trolls. Once you learn how to deal with trolls appropriately, they'll go away.
Garbanza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2015 7:50:56 AM
This seems a lot less controversial than your first one.

You do one-liners quite a lot though, so maybe there are circumstances when they're okay.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2015 8:08:17 AM
At 11/22/2015 7:50:56 AM, Garbanza wrote:
This seems a lot less controversial than your first one.

You do one-liners quite a lot though, so maybe there are circumstances when they're okay.

I forgot to mention, that there are exceptions to that rule. People above 5,000 ELO, not named Mikal, are those exceptions.
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2015 3:52:56 PM
Can hardly wait for the troll series. Will you be mentioning them by name?
Didn't want to leave it as a one liner. Do you think members like RuvDrada would serve DDO better as Trolls? If they are not equipped to impress they can at least try to entertain.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2015 4:06:34 PM
At 11/22/2015 3:52:56 PM, Harikrish wrote:
Didn't want to leave it as a one liner. Do you think members like RuvDrada would serve DDO better as Trolls? If they are not equipped to impress they can at least try to entertain.

I think trolls are uneccesary, if they aren't entertaining. I don't think Airmax would let me get away with naming them by name. I guess I could cite specific incidents as examples, of what these people do, but I won't try to get around the rules that way. I think we all know who the 4 people who do the most damage to this section are, without me naming them.
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2015 4:23:56 PM
At 11/22/2015 4:06:34 PM, Wylted wrote:

I think trolls are uneccesary, if they aren't entertaining. I don't think Airmax would let me get away with naming them by name. I guess I could cite specific incidents as examples, of what these people do, but I won't try to get around the rules that way. I think we all know who the 4 people who do the most damage to this section are, without me naming them.

I have identified a suicidal proselytizer, many primate degenerates, a few Quranic illiterate Muslims ( cannot read Arabic and therefore cannot read the Quran) , an equal number of Christians who are scripturally illiterate and half a dozen menopausal virgins. But trolls somehow escapes me. You could throw a hint about the 4 you alluded to, I might have them in the wrong group. Thanks!!!
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2015 4:30:57 PM
At 11/22/2015 4:23:56 PM, Harikrish wrote:

I have identified a suicidal proselytizer, many primate degenerates, a few Quranic illiterate Muslims ( cannot read Arabic and therefore cannot read the Quran) , an equal number of Christians who are scripturally illiterate and half a dozen menopausal virgins. But trolls somehow escapes me. You could throw a hint about the 4 you alluded to, I might have them in the wrong group. Thanks!!!

lol, I'll do something out of the ordinary here, and take the high road. Have a good night
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2015 7:13:47 PM
At 11/22/2015 4:30:57 PM, Wylted wrote:
At 11/22/2015 4:23:56 PM, Harikrish wrote:

lol, I'll do something out of the ordinary here, and take the high road. Have a good night

Those trolls will still be here tomorrow.