Jump to topic:

Are we truly following God's message?

Micheal21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2015 2:29:35 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
As I'm watching a bible story on YouTube, I noticed something that entered my thoughts every now and again. Are we truly practicing the message? In the video, where Jesus instructs the people to give Ceasar what belongs to Ceasar and to give God what belongs to God, a woman puts in only ONE coin as to where everyone else puts in several. Yet Jesus takes note that even when she puts in far less coins than everyone else, she has made the biggest sacrifice for that was all that she had. While everyone else just threw in their spare change.

I bring this up because I often see Christians in fancy suits and shiny cars as they arrive to church. Their wrists decorated with a gold watch and their feet resting in luxurious shoes. Then again, I'm no better. While I don't have any fancy clothing, I do have a sports car. A rather cheap one to be honest, but I could have gotten cheaper. Nowadays I've been giving back. Donating to the hospital and giving tens of dollars to the homeless. Still, it's what I can spare and not exactly what I need to live on. Am I truly kind if I still live comfortably as my fellow man begs for food tonight on some dark corner? I'm just wondering, do we really practice what we read or are we just choosing which verses to obey?

Do we really need the gigantic, fancy churches or even our splendid comfortable homes? Or are we simply Giving a fraction of what we can just to satisfy our conscious?

I know some will ask "Why don't you give everything to the poor then?". . .well my question to other fellow Christians is " Why shouldn't we?"
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2015 4:08:00 PM
At 11/22/2015 2:29:35 PM, Micheal21 wrote:
As I'm watching a bible story on YouTube, I noticed something that entered my thoughts every now and again. Are we truly practicing the message? In the video, where Jesus instructs the people to give Ceasar what belongs to Ceasar and to give God what belongs to God, a woman puts in only ONE coin as to where everyone else puts in several. Yet Jesus takes note that even when she puts in far less coins than everyone else, she has made the biggest sacrifice for that was all that she had. While everyone else just threw in their spare change.

I bring this up because I often see Christians in fancy suits and shiny cars as they arrive to church. Their wrists decorated with a gold watch and their feet resting in luxurious shoes. Then again, I'm no better. While I don't have any fancy clothing, I do have a sports car. A rather cheap one to be honest, but I could have gotten cheaper. Nowadays I've been giving back. Donating to the hospital and giving tens of dollars to the homeless. Still, it's what I can spare and not exactly what I need to live on. Am I truly kind if I still live comfortably as my fellow man begs for food tonight on some dark corner? I'm just wondering, do we really practice what we read or are we just choosing which verses to obey?

Do we really need the gigantic, fancy churches or even our splendid comfortable homes? Or are we simply Giving a fraction of what we can just to satisfy our conscious?

I know some will ask "Why don't you give everything to the poor then?". . .well my question to other fellow Christians is " Why shouldn't we?"

There are many ways to give. Money, material things, love, kindness or simply accepting peoples humanity. There isn't much to give if you are always feeling poor inside. And if you feel guilty for giving less, some child will die in some remote corner of the world. It is not like you ran over it with your sports car. Don't sweat it.
Just ask yourself if you would rather be the woman who gave her last coin and was recognized by Jesus or would you continue to be what you are after being taught the value of charity and self sacrifice.
The price of gas is at its lowest....surely you can afford to give more.
Micheal21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2015 5:41:09 PM
At 11/22/2015 5:30:28 PM, bulproof wrote:
There is no "god's message".

I'm sorry you feel that way :) Have a blessed evening.