Jump to topic:

Christians Want You At The Cinema

dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2015 1:14:49 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
The Christians are at it again, this time trying to get an advert with the Lord's Prayer shown before screenings of the new Star Wars movie in the UK. The cinema chain has a policy of not allowing political or religious advertising in case it causes offence to their patrons. However, the CoE saw an opportunity too good to resist. Where else are you going to get a captive audience with lots of young children which you can indoctrinate?

http://www.smh.com.au...

London: The Church of England is threatening legal action over the rejection of a one-minute film featuring the Lord's Prayer that it wanted to run before screenings of the new Star Wars film The Force Awakens.

Church officials say the decision not to air the prayer amounts to religious discrimination.

I'll be intetested to see how they justify that it's discrimination when the cinema group doesn't accept any religious advertising.

So, once again the Christians are attempting to shove their religion down everyone's throat. It's not enough for them to recite their prayers in church and in their bedrooms as believers. No, they want to force it on atheists, agnostics, Muslims, Hindus and every other non-Christian in the UK.
Skynet
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2015 2:17:50 AM
I suppose they have the right to refuse to do business with whoever they want.

But they are ironically showing it right before Star Wars, which (has been) a religiously themed franchise.
One perk to being a dad is you get to watch cartoons again without explaining yourself.
DanMGTOW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2015 4:51:37 AM
At 11/23/2015 1:14:49 AM, dee-em wrote:
The Christians are at it again, this time trying to get an advert with the Lord's Prayer shown before screenings of the new Star Wars movie in the UK. The cinema chain has a policy of not allowing political or religious advertising in case it causes offence to their patrons. However, the CoE saw an opportunity too good to resist. Where else are you going to get a captive audience with lots of young children which you can indoctrinate?

London: The Church of England is threatening legal action over the rejection of a one-minute film featuring the Lord's Prayer that it wanted to run before screenings of the new Star Wars film The Force Awakens.

Church officials say the decision not to air the prayer amounts to religious discrimination.

I'll be intetested to see how they justify that it's discrimination when the cinema group doesn't accept any religious advertising.

So, once again the Christians are attempting to shove their religion down everyone's throat. It's not enough for them to recite their prayers in church and in their bedrooms as believers. No, they want to force it on atheists, agnostics, Muslims, Hindus and every other non-Christian in the UK.

i think darth vader should be a great role model for christians
darth vader believed in an ancient religion
darth vader accepted the burden of proof to show his religion was true
and when darth vader did a force choke on you that was a demonstration of his faith in the force.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2015 5:19:16 AM
the FORCE is no match for the SCHWARTZ.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2015 5:48:45 AM
At 11/23/2015 5:19:16 AM, bulproof wrote:
the FORCE is no match for the SCHWARTZ.

http://i.imgur.com...
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
Jovian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2015 10:51:12 PM

Wow, I thought UK was pretty much secular. It is a very good thing to let political and religious things out of the cinema. Cinema is recreation, aka an activity to partially make people mentally escape from the world for a little while.
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2015 11:33:28 PM
At 11/23/2015 10:51:12 PM, Jovian wrote:

Wow, I thought UK was pretty much secular. It is a very good thing to let political and religious things out of the cinema. Cinema is recreation, aka an activity to partially make people mentally escape from the world for a little while.

Part of me says that if we allow fast food companies and soft drink companies etc to advertise to children then a church should be allowed to advertise. The problem as I see it is in the nature of the advertising. If it had been an ad extolling the benefits of attending church and being part of a religious community, I might be okay with it. However, having people reciting lines of the Lord's Prayer is too much like indoctrination.
mc9
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2015 1:06:54 AM
I don't quite know the laws surrounding this, but don't companies have the right to show (or not show) whatever commercials they want, if so this lawsuit is going nowhere (especially since the theater actually has this specific policy barring these commercials from showing.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2015 3:18:58 AM
That spawn of satan and pope of the accursed atheists R. Dawkins says they should be allowed to show it.
I mean who gives a f*ck?
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
desmac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2015 8:21:27 AM
At 11/24/2015 3:18:58 AM, bulproof wrote:
That spawn of satan and pope of the accursed atheists R. Dawkins says they should be allowed to show it.
I mean who gives a f*ck?

When I go to see a Star Wars film I don't want some Half a**ed religious mumbo jumbo rammed down my throat.
Wait a minute............................
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2015 11:30:31 AM

Well in their defense they use to have the captive audience of many years of children in school under "religous instruction".

So if they feel the need to get an ad in some star wars movie..............this is progress of a kind.
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12