Jump to topic:

Who is more oppressed?

nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2010 8:34:16 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I was reading an article about a muslim woman and came across this comment: she said that her hijab makes her less oppressed than women who don't wear hijabs, or in other words, western women. I kind of get where she was going with it, but does it really make any sense? Do you agree/disagree?

Hopefully someone with some knowledge of Islam can chime in...
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2010 8:36:52 PM
It depends on your point of view I suppose. Some people may argue that the woman in hijab is less oppressed since she's not being objectified. I tend to not display my body and I certainly get less attention from guys.
tkubok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2010 9:20:29 PM
At 9/30/2010 8:36:52 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
It depends on your point of view I suppose. Some people may argue that the woman in hijab is less oppressed since she's not being objectified. I tend to not display my body and I certainly get less attention from guys.

Women who want to show off their body, dont do it because they are forced to. They choose to.

I suppose a woman who doesnt want to wear a skimpy outfit but is forced to, is more opressed than a woman who chooses to wear a burka or Hijab or whatever.

I dont think that matters, though. What matters, is that the western world would never stone a woman for refusing to wear a skimpy outfit.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2010 9:25:43 PM
At 9/30/2010 9:20:29 PM, tkubok wrote:

Women who want to show off their body, dont do it because they are forced to. They choose to.

I suppose a woman who doesnt want to wear a skimpy outfit but is forced to, is more opressed than a woman who chooses to wear a burka or Hijab or whatever.

I dont think that matters, though. What matters, is that the western world would never stone a woman for refusing to wear a skimpy outfit.

Most muslim women cover up by choice though just like I choose not to wear skimpy outfits so that's a poor comparison.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2010 9:26:38 PM
At 9/30/2010 8:34:16 PM, TulleKrazy wrote:
I was reading an article about a muslim woman and came across this comment: she said that her hijab makes her less oppressed than women who don't wear hijabs, or in other words, western women. I kind of get where she was going with it, but does it really make any sense? Do you agree/disagree?

Hopefully someone with some knowledge of Islam can chime in...

They are. Here they can wear it if they want to there they get stoned for not wearing it or even being accused of not wearing it.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2010 9:28:54 PM
At 9/30/2010 9:26:38 PM, lovelife wrote:

They are. Here they can wear it if they want to there they get stoned for not wearing it or even being accused of not wearing it.

It's in their scripture though to cover up. Technically, Christian and Jewish woman are also supposed to cover up, but most don't.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2010 9:34:58 PM
At 9/30/2010 9:28:54 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 9/30/2010 9:26:38 PM, lovelife wrote:

It's in their scripture though to cover up. Technically, Christian and Jewish woman are also supposed to cover up, but most don't.

They choose not to and scripture has no place in making laws. Because they are FORCED to and not CHOOSING to follow their faith and what it tells them (threatened with death if they don't follow it, or even accused of not following it) they are more oppressed. Actually I'm beginning to become really sick because of it.
tkubok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2010 9:44:25 PM
At 9/30/2010 9:25:43 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Most muslim women cover up by choice though just like I choose not to wear skimpy outfits so that's a poor comparison.

But there are muslim women who dont want to, and they get raped for their choices. I think its an apt comparison, as I never said that Muslim women dont cover up by choice. But those that refuse to, are treated like whores and raped and beaten. Does the same thing happen in the western world? I surely hope not.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2010 9:46:16 PM
At 9/30/2010 9:44:25 PM, tkubok wrote:

But there are muslim women who dont want to, and they get raped for their choices. I think its an apt comparison, as I never said that Muslim women dont cover up by choice. But those that refuse to, are treated like whores and raped and beaten. Does the same thing happen in the western world? I surely hope not.

Many are though. Women who dress in skimpy clothes often get the wrong kind of attention. I do hear of them complaining about that, but I suppose it's their own fault for dressing like that.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2010 9:49:20 PM
Being objectified is not being oppressed.

Willingly wearing a hijab is not being oppressed.

/thread
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2010 9:51:12 PM
As for rape, that is separate from hijabs, whether the rapist chooses to make a negative correlation between them or not-- it's not the fabric's fault.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2010 9:52:07 PM
At 9/30/2010 9:49:20 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:

/thread

I view objectification as oppression though. Again, it's all about the point of view.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2010 10:04:06 PM
At 9/30/2010 9:52:07 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:

/thread

I view objectification as oppression though. Again, it's all about the point of view.

Um, no, it's about definition. And you need to pull one out now.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2010 10:07:33 PM
At 9/30/2010 9:46:16 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 9/30/2010 9:44:25 PM, tkubok wrote:

Many are though. Women who dress in skimpy clothes often get the wrong kind of attention. I do hear of them complaining about that, but I suppose it's their own fault for dressing like that.

No. People can be proud of how they look and not want to cover it up like a f0ing bed. If I wear a bikini in the streets I'm not saying "hey lets f*ck you can beat and rape and torture me!!" I'm just choosing what to wear.

The only way it is ever the victims fault is if they verbally agree, or agree in writing or something similar. That was perhaps the most ridiculous thing I think I've heard you say and the thing that sickens me most about that culture/belief.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2010 10:09:03 PM
At 9/30/2010 9:52:07 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:

/thread

No. Both may be negative but they aren't the same.
Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2010 10:19:42 PM

If wearing one is a requirement then it doesn't matter whether or not you want to wear one. You're still being oppressed.

Is a slave who enjoys his work and treatment not a slave?
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2010 10:26:01 PM
At 9/30/2010 10:19:42 PM, Korashk wrote:

If wearing one is a requirement then it doesn't matter whether or not you want to wear one. You're still being oppressed.

However, the OP did not say whether the woman in question was required to and by whom and how.

There are places in the Muslim world that aren't theocracies you know.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2010 10:42:04 PM
At 9/30/2010 10:21:45 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
How is choosing to wear more clothing oppression? I don't understand. It's just fabric.

Choice isn't oppression, force is. Its barbaric and wrong.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2010 10:45:00 PM
At 9/30/2010 10:42:04 PM, lovelife wrote:
How is choosing to wear more clothing oppression? I don't understand. It's just fabric.

Choice isn't oppression, force is. Its barbaric and wrong.

I know. I was saying that in response to Korashk's post.
Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2010 10:47:35 PM
At 9/30/2010 10:26:01 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
At 9/30/2010 10:19:42 PM, Korashk wrote:

However, the OP did not say whether the woman in question was required to and by whom and how.

There are places in the Muslim world that aren't theocracies you know.

True. If one chooses to wear a hijab where one is not required to then they are not being oppressed. Your statement, however, didn't clarify, it just said that if you choose to wear it then you're not being oppressed, which isn't true.

If you don't have the option to not wear said fabric then it doesn't matter if you want to wear it or not. You're being oppressed because you aren't allowed to take it off in public even if you wanted to without punishment.
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2010 10:48:34 PM
It's called coercion.
Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2010 10:52:23 PM
At 9/30/2010 10:48:34 PM, Korashk wrote:
It's called coercion.

Meh, that's not exactly true.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2010 10:54:45 PM
At 9/30/2010 10:52:23 PM, Korashk wrote:
At 9/30/2010 10:48:34 PM, Korashk wrote:
It's called coercion.

Meh, that's not exactly true.

Its called evil, wrong, immoral
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2010 12:41:05 AM

/thread

Ragnar pwns everyone.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2010 12:44:21 AM
At 9/30/2010 9:20:29 PM, tkubok wrote:
Of course not. The Western world protects women so much that there are a few million prostitutes and some hundred thousands who get raped - annually. The Western world lets them choose an evil path, while another part of the world does not let them do so.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2010 12:46:41 AM
At 10/1/2010 12:42:55 AM, Mirza wrote:
A woman who chooses to wear hijab is not oppressed. She chooses to be recognized as a beautiful person inside, not outside.

I generally agree with this. Looks matter very little to me. Personality is what makes a person.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2010 12:48:57 AM
For your interest, when I see a woman wearing a flood of make-up on her face, has her body dipped in with fake tan from fashion creams, looks at herself at every window on the street to make sure she looks good, tries to pretend to be valuable by not even greeting someone in a mannerly way, I feel more sad for her than I would ever feel for a woman at chooses to wear niqab or burqa.
Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2010 12:52:14 AM
At 10/1/2010 12:42:55 AM, Mirza wrote:
A woman who chooses to wear hijab is not oppressed. She chooses to be recognized as a beautiful person inside, not outside.

Not true. In Iran, Kuwait, and Saudi Arabia (I think) those that wear the hijab or other head coverings are required to by law. This is oppression, even if some/many wear it willingly.