Jump to topic:

Christianity shaped Civilized Culture

GrittyWorm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2015 6:06:07 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I hear from Atheists that Christianity did not build Western culture. So I ask, then why do as many secular Western citizens celebrate Christmas as actual people of faith? There is a reason. Many fundamental ideals of civilized culture have been based off of Christianity. Many nonbelieving Westerners hold fast to beliefs taught in the Bible and don't even consciously understand where they actually got those beliefs from.
FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2015 6:12:26 PM
At 11/24/2015 6:06:07 PM, GrittyWorm wrote:
I hear from Atheists that Christianity did not build Western culture. So I ask, then why do as many secular Western citizens celebrate Christmas as actual people of faith? There is a reason. Many fundamental ideals of civilized culture have been based off of Christianity. Many nonbelieving Westerners hold fast to beliefs taught in the Bible and don't even consciously understand where they actually got those beliefs from.

So name said ideals and beliefs.
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
http://www.debate.org...
desmac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2015 6:13:03 PM

Which atheists do you hear that from? If you have a question for the atheists who tell you that address it to them. Nobody has said it on here.
Many people celebrate the Northern European festival of Yule at the winter solstice. The death and rebirth of the sun.
The festival and the idea later stolen by xtians.
GrittyWorm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2015 6:17:19 PM
At 11/24/2015 6:13:03 PM, desmac wrote:

Which atheists do you hear that from? If you have a question for the atheists who tell you that address it to them. Nobody has said it on here.
Many people celebrate the Northern European festival of Yule at the winter solstice. The death and rebirth of the sun.

Sun worshippers didn't pass out gifts. Sorry.
GrittyWorm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2015 6:19:14 PM

Why don't Atheists celebrate Ramadan or Hanakuh? And why celebrate a holiday based off of Christ or the sun?
GrittyWorm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2015 6:22:28 PM

Sorry but Abrahamic faiths were depicting the messiah for about 5,000 years. Ever read the jewish Torah or any of their writings pre Christianity?
desmac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2015 6:22:51 PM
At 11/24/2015 6:19:14 PM, GrittyWorm wrote:

Why don't Atheists celebrate Ramadan or Hanakuh? And why celebrate a holiday based off of Christ or the sun?

Because it is the middle of winter and we all need cheering up. A midwinter feast goes back long before the Roman Empire.
FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2015 6:23:51 PM

What does "celebrate" mean to you, exactly?
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
http://www.debate.org...
GrittyWorm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2015 6:26:18 PM
At 11/24/2015 6:22:51 PM, desmac wrote:

Because it is the middle of winter and we all need cheering up. A midwinter feast goes back long before the Roman Empire.

Then why despise a belief system that gave you uplifting customs?
desmac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2015 6:35:56 PM
At 11/24/2015 6:26:18 PM, GrittyWorm wrote:
At 11/24/2015 6:22:51 PM, desmac wrote:

Then why despise a belief system that gave you uplifting customs?

Because its a pack of lies.