Jump to topic:

Putting people in boxes.

Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/25/2015 12:58:27 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
It seems people love to label others as believers, unbelievers, religious, spiritual, atheist, agnostic, and whatever other labels you can think of.

Very few seem to understand that it is possible to be neutral and not fit into any of those boxes.

Believing in any gods depends entirely on how you define the word god.

God defined as an invisible supernatural character......
Mythical gods do not exist in reality. Those gods are generally invisible and believed to have supernatural powers yet apparently they are not powerful enough to reveal themselves to all of humanity. They only "reveal" themselves to the gullible who choose to believe they actually exist.
It is like claiming invisible friends only reveal themselves to those who believe in their existence and will not reveal themselves to anyone who doesn't believe in them.

God defined as a personification of the powers of the universe.....
Gods such as these also do not exist any more than Mother Nature or Father Time do, but when you understand the word God in the sense of anthropomorphism, it is not hard to understand that what the word represents, ie the powers of the universe, obviously do exist.

Gods defined as judges and rulers..........
The Hebrew word "elohiym" translated as God and gods in the bible refers to rulers and judges which are often human.
Humans obviously exist in reality.
Humans are the judges and rulers ( gods) of their own lives. In the sense of any ultimate judge, humanity has created laws and we are all judged by other humans according to those laws.

Now take a look at all those ways of defining God.
Depending on which definition one uses, some gods do not exist and some obviously do exist.

I and a few others I know believe the above.

Which "box" would you readers like to place us in when we believe in the existence of gods ( rulers, judges, powers, energy, life ) and also do not believe in gods ( the mythical characters with supernatural powers) ?

Chop us up and put bits in all the boxes or call us the odd ones out ?

What box do you place yourself into ?

I do not place myself in any boxes. I am beyond boxes. I think outside the boxes.
Chaosism
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/25/2015 1:27:43 AM
At 11/25/2015 12:58:27 AM, Skyangel wrote:
It seems people love to label others as believers, unbelievers, religious, spiritual, atheist, agnostic, and whatever other labels you can think of.

Very few seem to understand that it is possible to be neutral and not fit into any of those boxes.

Believing in any gods depends entirely on how you define the word god.

God defined as an invisible supernatural character......
Mythical gods do not exist in reality. Those gods are generally invisible and believed to have supernatural powers yet apparently they are not powerful enough to reveal themselves to all of humanity. They only "reveal" themselves to the gullible who choose to believe they actually exist.
It is like claiming invisible friends only reveal themselves to those who believe in their existence and will not reveal themselves to anyone who doesn't believe in them.

God defined as a personification of the powers of the universe.....
Gods such as these also do not exist any more than Mother Nature or Father Time do, but when you understand the word God in the sense of anthropomorphism, it is not hard to understand that what the word represents, ie the powers of the universe, obviously do exist.

Gods defined as judges and rulers..........
The Hebrew word "elohiym" translated as God and gods in the bible refers to rulers and judges which are often human.
Humans obviously exist in reality.
Humans are the judges and rulers ( gods) of their own lives. In the sense of any ultimate judge, humanity has created laws and we are all judged by other humans according to those laws.

Now take a look at all those ways of defining God.
Depending on which definition one uses, some gods do not exist and some obviously do exist.

I and a few others I know believe the above.

Which "box" would you readers like to place us in when we believe in the existence of gods ( rulers, judges, powers, energy, life ) and also do not believe in gods ( the mythical characters with supernatural powers) ?

Chop us up and put bits in all the boxes or call us the odd ones out ?

I do not place myself in any boxes. I am beyond boxes. I think outside the boxes.

The natural world does not have definitions, or "boxes". All of them are man-made in a effort to introduce organization to our understanding of the world. Labels, such as democrat or theist, are short-hand ways of briefly summing up one's general beliefs. The truth is that every person's beliefs, when down to the finest details, are unique. This doesn't invalidate the labels, it just provides a quick way to provide a general "overview", so to speak. You name, for instance, is such a box. We use names in lieu of describing the infinite details of a person.

The problem that some people have, when they place themselves in such a box, is twofold. Firstly, they may have a tendency to form themselves to the invisible box. Secondly, solidly defining oneself imposes mental barriers that inhibits change, which is reflected by a psychological phenomenon known as Belief Perseverance.

Ultimately, labels are necessary for reasonable communication, but we should recognize them are manufactured designations that can't possibly reflect reality perfectly.
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/25/2015 5:17:49 AM
At 11/25/2015 1:27:43 AM, Chaosism wrote:

The natural world does not have definitions, or "boxes". All of them are man-made in a effort to introduce organization to our understanding of the world. Labels, such as democrat or theist, are short-hand ways of briefly summing up one's general beliefs. The truth is that every person's beliefs, when down to the finest details, are unique. This doesn't invalidate the labels, it just provides a quick way to provide a general "overview", so to speak. You name, for instance, is such a box. We use names in lieu of describing the infinite details of a person.

The problem that some people have, when they place themselves in such a box, is twofold. Firstly, they may have a tendency to form themselves to the invisible box. Secondly, solidly defining oneself imposes mental barriers that inhibits change, which is reflected by a psychological phenomenon known as Belief Perseverance.

Ultimately, labels are necessary for reasonable communication, but we should recognize them are manufactured designations that can't possibly reflect reality perfectly.

The evidence of all the wars and conflict in the world proves that mankind is not very good at organizing or understanding anything, especially when it comes to understanding human nature and why people fight and argue about things like invisible characters in the first place. It is sheer stupidity.
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/25/2015 11:41:54 PM
Anna wants to know how many of you readers place me in a theist box due to the fact that I believe in Gods existence even though my definition of God is not the same as her invisible supernatural father figure.

God is a concept which obviously exists.
I happen to believe all invisible supernatural Gods are mythical. I see them as personifications of the powers of the universe.

I believe any real Gods are perfectly observable even if they are as invisible as the wind.
They are also as observable as the wind. They are the powers that be.

I am trying to help readers understand there is a mythical aspect to God and also a very real aspect to God.

Maybe a few smart cookies will get the revelation one of these days when the light goes on in their heads.

http://photos-ak.sparkpeople.com...

Using the above information, what box would you readers like to put me in ?
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/25/2015 11:57:42 PM
At 11/25/2015 11:41:54 PM, Skyangel wrote:
Anna wants to know how many of you readers place me in a theist box due to the fact that I believe in Gods existence even though my definition of God is not the same as her invisible supernatural father figure.

I happen to believe all invisible supernatural Gods are mythical. I see them as personifications of the powers of the universe.

I believe any real Gods are perfectly observable even if they are as invisible as the wind.

I am trying to help readers understand there is a mythical aspect to God and also a very real aspect to God.

Maybe a few smart cookies will get the revelation one of these days when the light goes on in their heads.

I would say you are a 61 year old menopausal virgin who never shared a box with a man and that is why you continue to neuter God because of your past experience outside the box.
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2015 12:12:04 AM
At 11/25/2015 11:57:42 PM, Harikrish wrote:

I would say you are a 61 year old menopausal virgin who never shared a box with a man and that is why you continue to neuter God because of your past experience outside the box.

That is hilarious since I have 4 children and a wonderful husband.
You thoroughly amuse me with your presumptions and perceptions.
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2015 12:19:08 AM
At 11/26/2015 12:12:04 AM, Skyangel wrote:

So I was right. You would like to be a 61 year old menopausal virgin who never shared a box with a man. So you could be free to run around trying to neuter God.
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2015 12:29:54 AM
At 11/26/2015 12:19:08 AM, Harikrish wrote:
At 11/26/2015 12:12:04 AM, Skyangel wrote:

So I was right. You would like to be a 61 year old menopausal virgin who never shared a box with a man. So you could be free to run around trying to neuter God.

Wrong again.

Neuter God ? I find that amusing.

Obviously you are a very confused person with a warped imagination.

How would one go about neutering a mythical character who according to the story is both male and female due to creating males and females in its own image, as well as being a spirit who has no physical gender?
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2015 2:31:51 AM

How about a pine one?
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
Electric-Eccentric
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2015 2:48:21 AM
why put Sky in a pine box when you can nail her up on a tree for all to see.

once you find someone to pass the job onto.
Life is what YOU make it,
Most just try and fake it...
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2015 3:06:19 AM
At 11/26/2015 2:31:51 AM, annanicole wrote:

How about a pine one?

Why do you want to put me in a pine box Anna?

Is it because I believe in a God/ god which is perfectly observable and real as opposed to an invisible supernatural character which cannot be observed and doesn't answer when you talk to him?

Just imagine I spoke the word God/god rather than wrote it. Speech has no upper or lower case letters like the written English word does.
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2015 3:16:50 AM

How about a pine one?

What kind of box have you stuck yourself into, anna?
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2015 3:18:31 AM
At 11/26/2015 3:16:50 AM, Skyangel wrote:

How about a pine one?

Oh, I'm not ready for the pine box just yet. However, you DID ask what box the DDO readers would like to put you in.
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2015 4:18:18 AM
At 11/26/2015 3:18:31 AM, annanicole wrote:

How about a pine one?

Oh, I'm not ready for the pine box just yet. However, you DID ask what box the DDO readers would like to put you in.

Since YOU cannot speak for ALL DDO readers and can only speak for yourself, please answer the question WHY do YOU want to put me in a pine box?

Do you really wish I was dead ?

So much for the love of God being manifest in Christians.

If you cannot love your brother or sister ( me ) you do not have the love of God in you.

1 John 4:8 He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love.
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2015 4:24:24 AM
At 11/26/2015 4:18:18 AM, Skyangel wrote:

How about a pine one?

Since YOU cannot speak for ALL DDO readers and can only speak for yourself, please answer the question WHY do YOU want to put me in a pine box?

Of course not. It was a joke. Don't you have a sense of humor? You asked a stupid question. You got a stupid answer.
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2015 4:51:33 AM
At 11/26/2015 4:24:24 AM, annanicole wrote:

How about a pine one?

Of course not. It was a joke. Don't you have a sense of humor? You asked a stupid question. You got a stupid answer.

Many truths are spoken in jest and when the jesters are pulled up on their attitudes they cry it was just a joke.

Your foolishness comes across loud and clear Anna.
I forgive you for your stupidity because I understand you have not learned to respect your elders yet.

However, I agree that asking people what box they wish to put me into is a stupid thing to ask yet they do it anyway.
Theists like you insist on putting me in the atheist box because they can't fit me into the theist box even after I explain that I do believe in God/god but not in a mythical one. My God/god is very real and observable. I have no need to imagine or personify it as some invisible supernatural person like most believers seem to do.

I see God daily.

Matt 5:8 Blessed are the pure in heart: for they shall see God.

Do you see God Anna? If not , your heart is not pure according to Matthew 5:8
When your heart is pure, you too will see God.
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2015 4:54:26 AM
At 11/26/2015 4:51:33 AM, Skyangel wrote:

How about a pine one?

Many truths are spoken in jest and when the jesters are pulled up on their attitudes they cry it was just a joke.

I forgive you for your stupidity because I understand you have not learned to respect your elders yet.

... about as stupid as your quote from the "Urban Dictionary". As far as respect for elders, I can certainly hold a door open for the feeble - and I'm sure I would do so for you.
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2015 5:36:23 AM
At 11/26/2015 4:54:26 AM, annanicole wrote:

How about a pine one?

... about as stupid as your quote from the "Urban Dictionary". As far as respect for elders, I can certainly hold a door open for the feeble - and I'm sure I would do so for you.

The urban dictionary is highly educational if you wish to learn about slang terms and idioms which are often used in many cultures.
If you tried to find the meaning of slang terms or idioms in the merriam webster dictionary by defining each word you would end up with a very different meaning to what the idiom conveys.

The point is that words can have double meanings and can often have more than just two meanings.
The word God/god is such a word. It is obviously perceived in many different ways and "mythical characters" is only one of those ways.

Just because a person does not believe mythical characters are real does not mean the same person lacks an understanding of what those characters represent in reality.
Do you believe Mother Nature is real ?
How do you interpret that question ?
Am I asking you if you believe the character is real or am I asking you if you believe Nature itself is real ?
The term "Mother Nature" applies to both those things so what is your answer?
Do you believe Mother Nature is real ?
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2015 5:46:21 AM
At 11/26/2015 5:36:23 AM, Skyangel wrote:

How about a pine one?

The urban dictionary is highly educational if you wish to learn about slang terms and idioms which are often used in many cultures.
If you tried to find the meaning of slang terms or idioms in the merriam webster dictionary by defining each word you would end up with a very different meaning to what the idiom conveys.

The point is that words can have double meanings and can often have more than just two meanings.
The word God/god is such a word. It is obviously perceived in many different ways and "mythical characters" is only one of those ways.

We aren't talking about "perceptions". We are talking about standard dictionary definitions. According to the DICTIONARY usage, you misuse the word "God".
Electric-Eccentric
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2015 6:01:30 AM
What does Merriam-Webster have to say about Mother Nature?
DanMGTOW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2015 6:14:01 AM

now that is interesting
i think it boils down to a simple question
do you believe in a god that has human (or higher) intelligence, and a personality?
if yes, then you're a theist. if no, then you're not an atheist

there are many atheistic religions, by the way someone who thinks outside of the box is called a "free thinker" and we have a barrel for those people right over there.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2015 6:18:42 AM

How about a pine one?
Oh very droll annie, very. :P
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2015 6:23:25 AM
At 11/26/2015 5:46:21 AM, annanicole wrote:

How about a pine one?

We aren't talking about "perceptions". We are talking about standard dictionary definitions. According to the DICTIONARY usage, you misuse the word "God".

Only according to YOUR perception of the word God and YOUR perception of the dictionary meaning.
The dictionary is not complaining. YOU are because my perception of God is different to yours.
Do you want me to worship some invisible character ( Father God or Mother Nature) and talk to a supernatural person who never has the common decency to talk back, rather than respect reality/ nature for what it is and understand that humans personify the powers of the universe as God/gods?

Grow up and develop some intelligence if it's not too hard on your brain.
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2015 6:27:46 AM
At 11/26/2015 6:23:25 AM, Skyangel wrote:

How about a pine one?

Only according to YOUR perception of the word God and YOUR perception of the dictionary meaning.

One PURPOSE of a dictionary is to plainly define a word. Another is to inform one of how to correctly use the word.

That's exactly why the Merriam-Webster dictionary specifies two different meanings depending upon whether the "g" is capitalized or not.

capitalized : the supreme or ultimate reality: as
a : the Being perfect in power, wisdom, and goodness who is worshipped as creator and ruler of the universe

Following that, it lists definition(s) for the lower case "g" god.

It's not a matter of "perception" as you would have us believe. It's a matter of accuracy.
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2015 6:28:16 AM
At 11/26/2015 6:01:30 AM, Electric-Eccentric wrote:

http://www.merriam-webster.com...
used to refer to the natural world as if it were a woman
nature personified as a woman considered as the source and guiding force of creation

-----------------------

Source of the guiding force of creation?

If the guiding force is God, then Mother Nature is the source of God.

That amuses me.
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2015 6:42:24 AM
At 11/26/2015 6:14:01 AM, DanMGTOW wrote:

now that is interesting
do you believe in a god that has human (or higher) intelligence, and a personality?

I AM a god ( ruler of myself ) with human intelligence and a personality. I believe in myself.
Some humans ( gods) believe they have a higher intelligence than mine.
I believe I have a higher intelligence than those less intelligent than I AM.
Therefore the answer is YES I believe in a god ( the ONE I AM ) and a few other gods that have "higher intelligence" and they all have different personalities and ways of expressing themselves.

Really ? Well at least you are reassuring Anna that I am not an atheist.

Am I a theist in your perception because I believe in myself and other people as gods ( rulers of themselves) ?

there are many atheistic religions, by the way someone who thinks outside of the box is called a "free thinker" and we have a barrel for those people right over there.

Should I go into the "free thinker" barrel or into the "theist" box in your opinion ?
DanMGTOW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2015 6:47:36 AM
At 11/26/2015 6:42:24 AM, Skyangel wrote:
At 11/26/2015 6:14:01 AM, DanMGTOW wrote:

now that is interesting

I AM a god ( ruler of myself ) with human intelligence and a personality. I believe in myself.
Some humans ( gods) believe they have a higher intelligence than mine.
I believe I have a higher intelligence than those less intelligent than I AM.
Therefore the answer is YES I believe in a god ( the ONE I AM ) and a few other gods that have "higher intelligence" and they all have different personalities and ways of expressing themselves.

Really ? Well at least you are reassuring Anna that I am not an atheist.

Am I a theist in your perception because I believe in myself and other people as gods ( rulers of themselves) ?

Should I go into the "free thinker" barrel or into the "theist" box in your opinion ?

well if you define yourself as a god, then i believe that you exist
but i still don't believe you have any abilities that are super-natural
so maybe instead of putting you in a box, you might be better off in a padded cell
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2015 6:48:03 AM
At 11/26/2015 6:18:42 AM, bulproof wrote:

How about a pine one?
Oh very droll annie, very. :P

Hi Bully. Nice to see gods like you drop in.
Are you still confining yourself to the atheist box or are you willing to go into the "free thinker" barrel and learn to see gods from a different perspective than just mythical characters?
Do you possess the power of free thought or is your mind stuck in the rut of defining the word god as a mythical character and nothing else?

Are you a CREATOR ?
Are you creative enough to see yourself as a god ( ruler and judge of yourself ) ?
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2015 6:58:21 AM
At 11/26/2015 6:27:46 AM, annanicole wrote:
At 11/26/2015 6:23:25 AM, Skyangel wrote:

One PURPOSE of a dictionary is to plainly define a word. Another is to inform one of how to correctly use the word.

That's exactly why the Merriam-Webster dictionary specifies two different meanings depending upon whether the "g" is capitalized or not.

capitalized : the supreme or ultimate reality: as
a : the Being perfect in power, wisdom, and goodness who is worshipped as creator and ruler of the universe

Following that, it lists definition(s) for the lower case "g" god.

It's not a matter of "perception" as you would have us believe. It's a matter of accuracy.

Thank you for sharing your perspective Anna.

Where exactly does it indicate the rest of the definitions are for a god with a lower case g?
As far as I can see, the Full definition is for the word GOD which is written in all capitals. Did you miss that fact?
Look again and notice "Full Definition of GOD"

I will accept your full apology when you find the honesty in yourself to admit your own lack of accuracy.
Electric-Eccentric
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2015 7:00:10 AM
At 11/26/2015 6:28:16 AM, Skyangel wrote:
At 11/26/2015 6:01:30 AM, Electric-Eccentric wrote:

http://www.merriam-webster.com...
used to refer to the natural world as if it were a woman
nature personified as a woman considered as the source and guiding force of creation

-----------------------

Source of the guiding force of creation?

If the guiding force is God, then Mother Nature is the source of God.

That amuses me.

EE: the Merriam-Webster God must be the offspring of Mother Nature and Father Time? Makes sense around here anyway.