Jump to topic:

Buddhism and Procreation

Ash_RationalTheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2015 5:23:40 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Why do Buddhists continue to have children even though the first noble truth says existence is suffering?
Seriously, It's just creating more and more karma.
I'd say adopting would be a better option.
Keepin' It Real!
UnBorn
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2016 1:54:49 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 11/27/2015 5:23:40 PM, Ash_RationalTheist wrote:
Why do Buddhists continue to have children even though the first noble truth says existence is suffering?

Yea....Buddhic thought is essentially against Procreation. Its kind of a no-brainer when you consider that the main focus of Buddhism is ending the wheel of birth and death.

"thought and love become bound together so that people love each other and cannot bear to be apart. As a result, the world has seen an endless succession of births of parents, children, and grandchildren. And the basis for all of this is desire and greed." - Shurangama Sutra

"Buddha states his propositions in the pedantic style of his age. He throws them into a form of Sorites; but, as such, it is logically faulty and all he wishes to convey is this: Oblivious of the suffering to which life is subject, man begets children, and is thus the cause of old age and death. If he would only realize what suffering he would add to by his act, he would desist from the procreation of children; and so stop the operation of old age and death." - Hari Singh Gour, The Spirit of Buddhism,
PureX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2016 8:35:44 PM
This is, in part, why I am not a Buddhist. (I am a philosophical taoist-christian.)

I do not believe that life is only suffering. Nor that it must be transcended to some superior state of being.

I believe our suffering can be transcended, within our lifetime, as humans, and that this may be a worthy goal. But in general, I believe that 'being' is the goal, itself. What we should be seeking (without pursuing) is authenticity and spontaneity, (through the practice of honesty and humility), not the transcendence of pain, or some higher utopic plane of being.

But that's just me. And I have no children, so my position is not because I want to defend procreation, particularly.
UnBorn
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2016 8:43:50 PM
At 6/4/2016 8:35:44 PM, PureX wrote:
This is, in part, why I am not a Buddhist. (I am a philosophical taoist-christian.)

I do not believe that life is only suffering. Nor that it must be transcended to some superior state of being.

I believe our suffering can be transcended, within our lifetime, as humans, and that this may be a worthy goal. But in general, I believe that 'being' is the goal, itself. What we should be seeking (without pursuing) is authenticity and spontaneity, (through the practice of honesty and humility), not the transcendence of pain, or some higher utopic plane of being.

But that's just me. And I have no children, so my position is not because I want to defend procreation, particularly.

Truthfully speaking the esoteric teachings of Taoism and Christianity are also world-denying. Birth and Death is considered a fall.

There is a Daoist proverb that says: "Those who go against the will of Heaven follow the course of nature. Those who follow the will of Heaven reverse the course of nature."
Axonly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2016 12:13:27 PM
At 11/27/2015 5:23:40 PM, Ash_RationalTheist wrote:

Have to admit, Buddhists have amazing moral standards.
Meh!