Total Posts:16|Showing Posts:1-16
Jump to topic:

the pesky door to door religious types???

graceofgod
Posts: 5,113
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2015 5:49:28 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
when you get the dreaded Jw's or mormons at the door do you talk to them, what do you normally say...?
tstor
Posts: 1,467
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2015 5:51:44 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 11/27/2015 5:49:28 PM, graceofgod wrote:
when you get the dreaded Jw's or mormons at the door do you talk to them, what do you normally say...?
I usually just talk with the them and accept the free publications. They do not typically bring out the controversial topics on the first visit.
"The afternoon came down as imperceptibly as age comes to a happy man. A little gold entered into the sunlight. The bay became bluer and dimpled with shore-wind ripples. Those lonely fishermen who believe that the fish bite at high tide left their rocks, and their places were taken by others, who were convinced that the fish bite at low tide." (John Steinbeck; Tortilla Flat, 1935)
dhardage
Posts: 4,545
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2015 5:55:56 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 11/27/2015 5:49:28 PM, graceofgod wrote:
when you get the dreaded Jw's or mormons at the door do you talk to them, what do you normally say...?

I simply say that I am not interested and they depart.
graceofgod
Posts: 5,113
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2015 7:35:50 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I remember when I told the fellowship I was attending that I had invited mormons in to talk, most of them said you should not invite them in you should send them away, my thought was how were these people going to learn the truth if no on tells them what the truth is..
Skepticalone
Posts: 6,137
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2015 7:51:33 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 11/27/2015 5:49:28 PM, graceofgod wrote:
when you get the dreaded Jw's or mormons at the door do you talk to them, what do you normally say...?

I usually tell them I do not share their beliefs and they leave. Plus, in my area, it is mostly Baptists or Catholics.
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
Wylted
Posts: 21,167
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2015 2:29:15 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 11/27/2015 5:49:28 PM, graceofgod wrote:
when you get the dreaded Jw's or mormons at the door do you talk to them, what do you normally say...?

Do you know why Jehovah witnesses don't celebrate Halloween?

They don't want random strangers knocking on their door and disturbing them.
tstor
Posts: 1,467
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2015 4:25:52 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 11/28/2015 2:29:15 AM, Wylted wrote:
when you get the dreaded Jw's or mormons at the door do you talk to them, what do you normally say...?

Do you know why Jehovah witnesses don't celebrate Halloween?


They don't want random strangers knocking on their door and disturbing them.
No, they do not celebrate Halloween because it has pagan roots.
"The afternoon came down as imperceptibly as age comes to a happy man. A little gold entered into the sunlight. The bay became bluer and dimpled with shore-wind ripples. Those lonely fishermen who believe that the fish bite at high tide left their rocks, and their places were taken by others, who were convinced that the fish bite at low tide." (John Steinbeck; Tortilla Flat, 1935)
graceofgod
Posts: 5,113
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2015 10:39:26 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 11/28/2015 2:29:15 AM, Wylted wrote:
At 11/27/2015 5:49:28 PM, graceofgod wrote:
when you get the dreaded Jw's or mormons at the door do you talk to them, what do you normally say...?

Do you know why Jehovah witnesses don't celebrate Halloween?


They don't want random strangers knocking on their door and disturbing them.

lol that makes sense...
JJ50
Posts: 2,144
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2015 12:30:43 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 11/27/2015 5:49:28 PM, graceofgod wrote:
when you get the dreaded Jw's or mormons at the door do you talk to them, what do you normally say...?

I say 'no thank you' politely, whilst shutting the door. However, in 1986 I told them exactly what I thought of them and their disgusting cult, using language I wouldn't normally use!

Our adopted son, who has Down's Syndrome and was then 16 months old, was diagnosed with a blood condition, not common in the UK, but fairly common in Cyprus where his natural parents came from originally. He had to have a blood transfusion to save his life. When I told the JWs this, they said it would have been better if he had died rather than receiving blood from another person! I don't think anyone could blame me for my less than polite response!
graceofgod
Posts: 5,113
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2015 12:34:14 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 11/28/2015 12:30:43 PM, JJ50 wrote:
At 11/27/2015 5:49:28 PM, graceofgod wrote:
when you get the dreaded Jw's or mormons at the door do you talk to them, what do you normally say...?

I say 'no thank you' politely, whilst shutting the door. However, in 1986 I told them exactly what I thought of them and their disgusting cult, using language I wouldn't normally use!

Our adopted son, who has Down's Syndrome and was then 16 months old, was diagnosed with a blood condition, not common in the UK, but fairly common in Cyprus where his natural parents came from originally. He had to have a blood transfusion to save his life. When I told the JWs this, they said it would have been better if he had died rather than receiving blood from another person! I don't think anyone could blame me for my less than polite response!

The blood thing has been a huge issue for them for some time... the idea of letting people die when they can be helped seems crazy..
JJ50
Posts: 2,144
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2015 1:57:06 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 11/28/2015 12:34:14 PM, graceofgod wrote:
At 11/28/2015 12:30:43 PM, JJ50 wrote:
At 11/27/2015 5:49:28 PM, graceofgod wrote:
when you get the dreaded Jw's or mormons at the door do you talk to them, what do you normally say...?

I say 'no thank you' politely, whilst shutting the door. However, in 1986 I told them exactly what I thought of them and their disgusting cult, using language I wouldn't normally use!

Our adopted son, who has Down's Syndrome and was then 16 months old, was diagnosed with a blood condition, not common in the UK, but fairly common in Cyprus where his natural parents came from originally. He had to have a blood transfusion to save his life. When I told the JWs this, they said it would have been better if he had died rather than receiving blood from another person! I don't think anyone could blame me for my less than polite response!

The blood thing has been a huge issue for them for some time... the idea of letting people die when they can be helped seems crazy..

I agree. Here in the UK if a JW parent refuses a blood transfusion for one of their children who isn't old enough to make up their own mind, a court order is made, usually allowing the transfusion to take place.
DanneJeRusse
Posts: 12,652
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2015 2:13:19 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 11/27/2015 5:49:28 PM, graceofgod wrote:
when you get the dreaded Jw's or mormons at the door do you talk to them, what do you normally say...?

I tell them I'm busy at the moment and could they give me their addresses that I may randomly drop by at my convenience to continue the conversation. For some reason, they never offer their addresses as they don't like people randomly knocking on their doors.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
graceofgod
Posts: 5,113
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2015 2:16:10 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 11/28/2015 1:57:06 PM, JJ50 wrote:
At 11/28/2015 12:34:14 PM, graceofgod wrote:
At 11/28/2015 12:30:43 PM, JJ50 wrote:
At 11/27/2015 5:49:28 PM, graceofgod wrote:
when you get the dreaded Jw's or mormons at the door do you talk to them, what do you normally say...?

I say 'no thank you' politely, whilst shutting the door. However, in 1986 I told them exactly what I thought of them and their disgusting cult, using language I wouldn't normally use!

Our adopted son, who has Down's Syndrome and was then 16 months old, was diagnosed with a blood condition, not common in the UK, but fairly common in Cyprus where his natural parents came from originally. He had to have a blood transfusion to save his life. When I told the JWs this, they said it would have been better if he had died rather than receiving blood from another person! I don't think anyone could blame me for my less than polite response!

The blood thing has been a huge issue for them for some time... the idea of letting people die when they can be helped seems crazy..

I agree. Here in the UK if a JW parent refuses a blood transfusion for one of their children who isn't old enough to make up their own mind, a court order is made, usually allowing the transfusion to take place.

that is how it should be...
JJ50
Posts: 2,144
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2015 2:35:22 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 11/28/2015 2:16:10 PM, graceofgod wrote:
At 11/28/2015 1:57:06 PM, JJ50 wrote:
At 11/28/2015 12:34:14 PM, graceofgod wrote:
At 11/28/2015 12:30:43 PM, JJ50 wrote:
At 11/27/2015 5:49:28 PM, graceofgod wrote:
when you get the dreaded Jw's or mormons at the door do you talk to them, what do you normally say...?

I say 'no thank you' politely, whilst shutting the door. However, in 1986 I told them exactly what I thought of them and their disgusting cult, using language I wouldn't normally use!

Our adopted son, who has Down's Syndrome and was then 16 months old, was diagnosed with a blood condition, not common in the UK, but fairly common in Cyprus where his natural parents came from originally. He had to have a blood transfusion to save his life. When I told the JWs this, they said it would have been better if he had died rather than receiving blood from another person! I don't think anyone could blame me for my less than polite response!

The blood thing has been a huge issue for them for some time... the idea of letting people die when they can be helped seems crazy..

I agree. Here in the UK if a JW parent refuses a blood transfusion for one of their children who isn't old enough to make up their own mind, a court order is made, usually allowing the transfusion to take place.

that is how it should be...

A court order would be made if parents refused much needed treatment for a child on any other grounds as well. I think there was a case in the UK a while back, but I could be mistaken and it was in the US, where the parents were relying on prayer rather than seeking medical treatment for their child.
DPMartin
Posts: 1,096
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2015 3:40:07 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Well there was a time at least in the US where it was common practice for people selling things like brushes, Avon, sweepers, food, ice, encyclopedias, so on and so forth as recently as maybe the 50's or 60's not to mention 30's and 40's and earlier. But that"s not the case these days where TV and Radio is available to go into someone"s home or daily activities and promote one"s wares.

If you were hearing what they got to say in some commercial, you wouldn"t be offended at all, because in today"s society it"s unacceptable to come to someone"s dwelling without invitation, but acceptable to do the same via TV or Radio. Thing is, they live in the same society, so it"s not like they don"t know this simple social morale.
ethang5
Posts: 4,117
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2015 8:01:54 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 11/27/2015 5:49:28 PM, graceofgod wrote:

when you get the dreaded Jw's or mormons at the door do you talk to them, what do you normally say...?

In Ghana where I live, the JW's are more aggressive. I always talk to them and let them know the many times when their organization made false prophesies about the end of the world. (I have watchtower mags on hand)

After they leave, I get out more material and wait for the visit from an "Elder". After I have embarrassed the elder, they never stop by again.

Sometimes a youngster stops by again against the advice of his elder. Those that do usually end up leaving the cult.