Jump to topic:

Atheist to theist

janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2015 10:01:13 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
If you were once an atheist and now you are a theist or deist, what made you change your mind?
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2015 11:05:00 PM
At 11/29/2015 10:05:18 PM, Double_R wrote:
They were really bad atheists.

Haha!
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2015 11:11:54 PM
At 11/29/2015 10:01:13 PM, janesix wrote:
If you were once an atheist and now you are a theist or deist, what made you change your mind?

A lobotomy.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
Benshapiro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2015 11:32:22 PM

I doubt there are many atheist to theist converts here. As I recall you've converted from atheism to theism so what made you change your mind? Antony Flew is a notable example of a convert from atheism but to deism mainly based on the nature of information encoded in DNA.
janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2015 5:28:52 PM
At 11/29/2015 11:32:22 PM, Benshapiro wrote:

I doubt there are many atheist to theist converts here. As I recall you've converted from atheism to theism so what made you change your mind? Antony Flew is a notable example of a convert from atheism but to deism mainly based on the nature of information encoded in DNA.

I was raised in an atheist home,and was an atheist until I was 37 (five years ago). I started having religious experiences, but they were a mix of Hinduism, Christian and Egyptian. It started after I started meditating. I go back and forth on whether any of it was real or not. I started doubting Darwinian evolution a few months before the visions started.

I think "Gods" are probably archetypes, not real personalities. I think it is more of a life force that we are all a part of .
ethang5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2015 7:23:53 PM

Didn't we all start off as atheists?

In my home, my father was a lawyer and an atheist who thought religion was a crutch for the mentally weak. He was never mean, rude, or offensive. He was never an anti-theist. For years I shared his views. But as I got older I began to see logical fallacies in atheism. And then I began to see a pattern in those fallacies.

As I studied evolution (in college) I saw the same types of logical fallacies. For years I refused to believe that intelligent scientists could be muddled in such banal logical failings. After I met anti-theists, I realized that atheism is basically an emotional argument. Logic doesn't work against emotional arguments.

My years on forums watching atheist after atheist whine about his bad father/mother/church/pastor re-enforced my belief that atheism was, at its core, emotional. I finally realized that I could not continue to be an atheist and be logical. I placed more value on logic than on atheism and decided to keep being logical.

I've lost a few perks by ditching atheism, but being free from a world-view that required me to accept utter stupidity was liberating. It was only after I met Jesus that I realized that I would have left atheism even if it did not require it's disciples to ditch logic. To say He is absolutely wonderful is the height of understatement.