Jump to topic:

Atheist to theist

janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2015 10:01:13 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
If you were once an atheist and now you are a theist or deist, what made you change your mind?
You are what you do when it counts
...and it always counts

"Your mother still exist and created you, despite her nasty spaghetti" Fatihah
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2015 11:05:00 PM
At 11/29/2015 10:05:18 PM, Double_R wrote:
They were really bad atheists.

Haha!
If Gravity were true, and Darwinism true - both of which are taught as true to children, then we would evolve as pancake people. - Edlvsjd

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2015 11:11:54 PM
At 11/29/2015 10:01:13 PM, janesix wrote:
If you were once an atheist and now you are a theist or deist, what made you change your mind?

A lobotomy.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
There would be peace if you obeyed us.~Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
Benshapiro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2015 11:32:22 PM

I doubt there are many atheist to theist converts here. As I recall you've converted from atheism to theism so what made you change your mind? Antony Flew is a notable example of a convert from atheism but to deism mainly based on the nature of information encoded in DNA.
janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2015 5:28:52 PM
At 11/29/2015 11:32:22 PM, Benshapiro wrote:

I doubt there are many atheist to theist converts here. As I recall you've converted from atheism to theism so what made you change your mind? Antony Flew is a notable example of a convert from atheism but to deism mainly based on the nature of information encoded in DNA.

I was raised in an atheist home,and was an atheist until I was 37 (five years ago). I started having religious experiences, but they were a mix of Hinduism, Christian and Egyptian. It started after I started meditating. I go back and forth on whether any of it was real or not. I started doubting Darwinian evolution a few months before the visions started.

I think "Gods" are probably archetypes, not real personalities. I think it is more of a life force that we are all a part of .
You are what you do when it counts
...and it always counts

"Your mother still exist and created you, despite her nasty spaghetti" Fatihah
ethang5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2015 7:23:53 PM

Didn't we all start off as atheists?

In my home, my father was a lawyer and an atheist who thought religion was a crutch for the mentally weak. He was never mean, rude, or offensive. He was never an anti-theist. For years I shared his views. But as I got older I began to see logical fallacies in atheism. And then I began to see a pattern in those fallacies.

As I studied evolution (in college) I saw the same types of logical fallacies. For years I refused to believe that intelligent scientists could be muddled in such banal logical failings. After I met anti-theists, I realized that atheism is basically an emotional argument. Logic doesn't work against emotional arguments.

My years on forums watching atheist after atheist whine about his bad father/mother/church/pastor re-enforced my belief that atheism was, at its core, emotional. I finally realized that I could not continue to be an atheist and be logical. I placed more value on logic than on atheism and decided to keep being logical.

I've lost a few perks by ditching atheism, but being free from a world-view that required me to accept utter stupidity was liberating. It was only after I met Jesus that I realized that I would have left atheism even if it did not require it's disciples to ditch logic. To say He is absolutely wonderful is the height of understatement.