Jump to topic:

Apparently, atheists know more...

Freeman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2010 10:49:02 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
about religion than religious people do. A research survey done by PEW found that atheists and agnostics know more about the basic aspects of religious belief than every other group being examined in the survey.

Of course, I am not surprised by this (even remotely). Most atheists are just former religious believers that learned too much about science, philosophy, logic, other religions or some combination of all of the above. Whether one religion is correct or not, it is beyond dispute that the free dissemination of knowledge is, on average, very corrosive to religious beliefs. (Not a very good sign if you ask me; God must have something against intellectuals) At any rate, it will be interesting to see how religious people respond to this.

http://www.pewforum.org...
Chancellor of Propaganda and Foreign Relations in the Franklin administration.

"I intend to live forever. So far, so good." -- Steven Wright
TheSkeptic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2010 11:45:23 PM
Most in defense would say theists are more concerned about the experiential side of religion than having strict knowledge about it's tenets, which is likely true.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2010 2:38:50 AM
Ironic but true.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2010 2:48:14 AM
I think it's probably because most theists are brought up from birth in their particular religion so are taught not to question it and explore alternatives as they will be taught to believe their religion is the correct one. As for atheists and other non-religious folk, many of them explore the teachings of other religions for academic purposes either to be able to refute them or to just simply get enough information to know they disbelieve in the particular religion so they can make an educated decision on whether to reject it or not. These have been my observations anyway.
tkubok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2010 9:29:25 AM
Im not surprised. Most theists are the nonchalant type, who usually havent read the entire bible and only know the cliffnotes. They go to sunday maybe once a year.
InquireTruth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2010 11:30:14 AM
At 10/4/2010 9:29:25 AM, tkubok wrote:
Im not surprised. Most theists are the nonchalant type, who usually havent read the entire bible and only know the cliffnotes. They go to sunday maybe once a year.

You are misinterpreting the study. They DO know quite a bit about their OWN religion. They do not, however, on average, have a very good understanding of other faiths.
Marauder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2010 12:07:05 PM
I'm not surprised, as someone who has Jesus in their heart, we have a peace about what the truth ultimately is, so we are not as desperate to search for the answers.

the atheist does not have this peace though, and thus is always frantically looking into this. They cannot just say to themselves once 'their is no god' and no longer think about it, They must further remind themselves why they should think that rather than just let it be and not give it further thought. They do not have enough peace to feel comfortable with forgetting why they could think their is no God, or their shall be no judgment. That requires a peace of mind with the matter.

maybe if the whole world would join with them in the non-belief in God, then the peace would come in their minds on the matter, the doubts would go away and the chill that comes with those doubts would leave their spines as well.

So this atheist must seek conflict with those that are at peace with the matter. Maybe if you become the majority being voiced in a room, your mind will rest and you need to know no more about why their is no God, maybe if you are the majority in a town, a nation, or the world, the peace should come that lets you feel the matter is settled. But even then it will not be enough so their can be no rest until the whole world can be in perfect unison with on he matter, than none hang onto the 'silly superstition' anymore. perhaps then the peace of mind will come.

Why do you think their can be more Christians recorded as being on this site and yet its mostly atheist that post in this forum? For us its not that big a deal, but I find it very unsurprising that for the atheist it is a much bigger deal than it is for any christian or theist of another sort to know everything their is to the subject.
One act of Rebellion created all the darkness and evil in the world; One life of Total Obedience created a path back to eternity and God.

A Scout is Obedient.
tkubok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2010 12:13:01 PM
At 10/4/2010 11:30:14 AM, InquireTruth wrote:
At 10/4/2010 9:29:25 AM, tkubok wrote:

You are misinterpreting the study. They DO know quite a bit about their OWN religion. They do not, however, on average, have a very good understanding of other faiths.

Oh, thats what the study was about. Sorry, i didnt bother reading it as it was mostly Tl;dr.
tkubok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2010 12:20:05 PM
At 10/4/2010 12:07:05 PM, Marauder wrote:
I'm not surprised, as someone who has Jesus in their heart, we have a peace about what the truth ultimately is, so we are not as desperate to search for the answers.
So, in other words, Theists keep themselves ignorant of other religions for fear that they may be converted into them. Okay.
the atheist does not have this peace though, and thus is always frantically looking into this. They cannot just say to themselves once 'their is no god' and no longer think about it, They must further remind themselves why they should think that rather than just let it be and not give it further thought. They do not have enough peace to feel comfortable with forgetting why they could think their is no God, or their shall be no judgment. That requires a peace of mind with the matter.
So, in other words, Atheists have surveyed all the religions and have chosen, based on full knowledge of each religion, to disbelieve in all of them. They have made an informed decision about religion by fairly assessing all religions, and not simply choosing the one they grew up with. They are intellectually honest because they actually care about their beliefs. Okay.
maybe if the whole world would join with them in the non-belief in God, then the peace would come in their minds on the matter, the doubts would go away and the chill that comes with those doubts would leave their spines as well.
Theres nothing wrong with doubting whether or not your beliefs are true.

There are many things wrong with simply accepting a belief without doubt. Without hesitation. Without critical thining.
So this atheist must seek conflict with those that are at peace with the matter. Maybe if you become the majority being voiced in a room, your mind will rest and you need to know no more about why their is no God, maybe if you are the majority in a town, a nation, or the world, the peace should come that lets you feel the matter is settled. But even then it will not be enough so their can be no rest until the whole world can be in perfect unison with on he matter, than none hang onto the 'silly superstition' anymore. perhaps then the peace of mind will come.
Ditto to christians, and every other religion, too.
Why do you think their can be more Christians recorded as being on this site and yet its mostly atheist that post in this forum? For us its not that big a deal, but I find it very unsurprising that for the atheist it is a much bigger deal than it is for any christian or theist of another sort to know everything their is to the subject.

Go to a christian forums. There are more christians who are on there than there are atheists. So what? And out of the total christians who have ever signed up, what percent of them are actually active on the forums?

And BTW, im damn sure that Christian theologians with actual degrees from actual universities, are fairly well versed in other religions. It has to do with education more than anything.
Freeman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2010 12:40:22 PM
Yes, I got all of the questions right (except for one that I am not entirely sure about). I haven't checked myself, I am just very confident in my answers.

"Who was a preacher during the First Great Awakening? Jonathan Edwards, Charles Finney or Billy Graham?"

I said Charles Finney, although I might be wrong. Am I right, InquireTruth?

My answers are as follows:

Genises
Mathew Mark Luke John
Bethlehem
Do unto others
Job
Moses
Abraham
They become the literal body
Protestants
Catholic
Luther
Charles Finney
Saturday
Jewish
After 1800
The Americas
Mormon
Islamic holy month
Koran or Qur'an
Buddhism
Buddhist
Hinduism
Hindu
Muslim
Muslim
Zeus
Does not believe in God
Unsure about God
Separation of church and state
No
Yes
Yes

Freeman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2010 12:42:12 PM
The questions are as follows:

Bible
What is the first book of the Bible? (Open-ended)
What are the names of the first four books of the New Testament, that is, the four Gospels? (Open-ended)
Where, according to the Bible, was Jesus born? Bethlehem, Jerusalem, Nazareth or Jericho?
Which of these is NOT in the Ten Commandments? Do unto others…, no adultery, no stealing, keep Sabbath?
Which figure is associated with remaining obedient to God despite suffering? Job, Elijah, Moses or Abraham?
Which figure is associated with leading the exodus from Egypt? Moses, Job, Elijah or Abraham?
Which figure is associated with willingness to sacrifice his son for God? Abraham, Job, Moses or Elijah?

Elements of Christianity
What is Catholic teaching about bread and wine in Communion? They become body and blood, or are symbols?
Which group traditionally teaches that salvation is through faith alone? Protestants, Catholics, both or neither?
Was Mother Teresa Catholic, Jewish, Buddhist, Hindu or Mormon?
What is the name of the person whose writings and actions inspired the Reformation? Luther, Aquinas or Wesley?
Who was a preacher during the First Great Awakening? Jonathan Edwards, Charles Finney or Billy Graham?

Elements of Judaism
When does the Jewish Sabbath begin? Friday, Saturday or Sunday?
Was Maimonides Jewish, Catholic, Buddhist, Hindu or Mormon?

Elements of Mormonism
When was the Mormon religion founded? After 1800, between 1200 and 1800, or before 1200 A.D.?
The Book of Mormon tells of Jesus appearing to people in what area? The Americas, Middle East or Asia?
Was Joseph Smith Mormon, Catholic, Jewish, Buddhist or Hindu?

World Religions
Is Ramadan the Islamic holy month, the Hindu festival of lights or a Jewish day of atonement?
Do you happen to know the name of the holy book of Islam? (Open-ended)
Which religion aims at nirvana, the state of being free from suffering? Buddhism, Hinduism or Islam?
Is the Dalai Lama Buddhist, Hindu, Jewish, Catholic or Mormon?
In which religion are Vishnu and Shiva central figures? Hinduism, Islam or Taoism?
What is the religion of most people in India? Hindu, Buddhist, Muslim or Christian?
What is the religion of most people in Pakistan? Muslim, Hindu, Buddhist or Christian?
What is the religion of most people in Indonesia? Muslim, Hindu, Buddhist or Christian?
Who is the king of Gods in Greek mythology? Zeus, Mars or Apollo?

Atheism and Agnosticism
Is an atheist someone who does NOT believe in God, believes in God, or is unsure whether God exists?
Is an agnostic someone who is unsure whether God exists, does NOT believe in God, or believes in God?

Religion in Public Life
What does Constitution say about religion? Separation of church and state, emphasize Christianity, or nothing?
According to the Supreme Court, can a public school teacher lead a class in prayer?
According to the Supreme Court, can a public school teacher read from the Bible as an example of literature?
According to the Supreme Court, can a public school teacher offer a class comparing the world's religions?

Marauder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2010 1:04:29 PM
At 10/4/2010 12:20:05 PM, tkubok wrote:
So, in other words, Theists keep themselves ignorant of other religions for fear that they may be converted into them. Okay.
So, in other words, Atheists have surveyed all the religions and have chosen, based on full knowledge of each religion, to disbelieve in all of them. They have made an informed decision about religion by fairly assessing all religions, and not simply choosing the one they grew up with. They are intellectually honest because they actually care about their beliefs. Okay.
Theres nothing wrong with doubting whether or not your beliefs are true.

There are many things wrong with simply accepting a belief without doubt. Without hesitation. Without critical thining.
Ditto to christians, and every other religion, too.
no, not ditto. I have no problem with knowing they are atheist out their or other beliefs. it does not affect my peace. nor does it affect my peace knowing I cant change your mind.

Go to a christian forums. There are more christians who are on there than there are atheists. So what? And out of the total christians who have ever signed up, what percent of them are actually active on the forums?
I am kinda suggesting the reason for that lack of activeness.
And BTW, im damn sure that Christian theologians with actual degrees from actual universities, are fairly well versed in other religions. It has to do with education more than anything.

I am not criticizing the seeking of knowledge or the study of other beliefs. Just attributing where the motivation comes from. I have no doubt it would be productive of my time if I were to ever read everything Saint Augustine ever wrote, or actually knew what Josephus recorded first hand by getting the book from barns and nobles and reading it rather than just knowing what people reference it or criticize it for in other discussions, or if I bought and studied the books to every religion their is under the sun. But I am already quite certain that I'm not going to learn them all before I die, and that out all the things I should be studying, other stuff like skills to the trade I plan to work in should come first, or studying the candidates for office before voting day. also the serious study of other religions involves skills with other languages often like Greek or Hebrew and I already know I am bad at the one foreign language I have learned some of.

with the peace of mind, I actually hold low motivation for needing to research it all before I move on to worrying about something else, like who is in charge of bringing the eggs on the scouts next camp-out and do they have stuff to keep it from freezing over-night or do I need to go to the store and get it? what time do I have available to do that? is there room between going to work and my dental appointment?
that's not even counting the hours of the day purposely waist ed on fun activities.
If I manage to learn as much as the average atheist does on theology to all religions in my spear time then koodos to me. (and to the atheist that learn the same in the same conditions that life throws at all)
But with the peace I have that the atheist does not, I have less motivation to make the choice much of a priority to sit down and study something on other beliefs over say, going bowling. I as a christian am not afraid of what I don't know yet. The atheist is afraid, and thus is in a different hurry to consume his time on learning it.
One act of Rebellion created all the darkness and evil in the world; One life of Total Obedience created a path back to eternity and God.

A Scout is Obedient.
Marauder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2010 1:09:16 PM
At 10/4/2010 12:40:22 PM, Freeman wrote:

My answers are as follows:

Does not believe in God
Unsure about God

Tkbok has been trying to convince me you are wrong are these answers. that atheist are unsure about god.

if it makes you feel better, I think you are right to be confident those answers are right.

A Scout is Obedient.
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2010 1:13:30 PM
Oh this is biased. It's kind of like the "Are you smarter than a fifth grader?" thing. An atheist would definitely know more about Hinduism than a Christian.
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2010 1:14:06 PM
At 10/4/2010 12:40:22 PM, Freeman wrote:

"Who was a preacher during the First Great Awakening? Jonathan Edwards, Charles Finney or Billy Graham?"

I said Charles Finney, although I might be wrong. Am I right..?

it was jonathan edwards.
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
Freeman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2010 2:22:21 PM
At 10/4/2010 1:00:54 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
I got 14 out of 15.

How is that possible? There are 32 questions.

belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2010 2:30:18 PM
At 10/4/2010 2:22:21 PM, Freeman wrote:
At 10/4/2010 1:00:54 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
I got 14 out of 15.

How is that possible? There are 32 questions.

they provide a shortened version of the test on their website....
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2010 4:48:25 PM
I'm not surprised, as someone who has Jesus in their heart, we have a peace about what the truth ultimately is, so we are not as desperate to search for the answers.:

But the research indicated that on average, atheists and agnostics knew more basic knowledge about religion than even the religious. Shouldn't a Christian know more about Christianity?

Well, the research indicates they don't, on average. Sadly, that's been my experience too.

the atheist does not have this peace though, and thus is always frantically looking into this.:

Peace? Pretty much all backslidden Christians I have ever spoken with unanimously agreed that trying to be devoted to an absentee Father was the most stressful time of their entire lives.

So this atheist must seek conflict with those that are at peace with the matter.:

It's true that, even on DDO, there are rabid atheists who froth at the mouth over something they allege doesn't even exist. But as much as I'm sure it would delight you to think that all atheists behave this way, I can assure you they don't.

You speak of this peace that God supposedly brings. And while many Christians also do not behave like Mel Gibson, I've seen far too many that do.

Why do you think their can be more Christians recorded as being on this site and yet its mostly atheist that post in this forum?:

Because most Christians are fairweather Christians and those that aren't just don't know how to debate. They pretty much get wrecked on every forum I've ever been on.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
Koopin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2010 4:51:27 PM
Wow, then atheists have no life. For real, if there was no God and I was an Atheist I would not be waiting my life studying this stuff. If some people believed in the tooth fairy I would not spend hours of my life studying about the myth.
kfc
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2010 4:55:54 PM
15 out of 15!!! :dances:

Thanks for the link, Freeman. ;)
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
Freeman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2010 11:04:56 PM
At 10/4/2010 4:55:54 PM, annhasle wrote:
15 out of 15!!! :dances:

Thanks for the link, Freeman. ;)

You're welcome.

Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2010 12:06:11 AM
This is inevitable, given atheists are more open to learning about varying religious dogma than religious people by the merit of the fact that religious people are religious.
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2010 3:43:09 AM
At 10/4/2010 4:51:27 PM, Koopin wrote:
Wow, then atheists have no life. For real, if there was no God and I was an Atheist I would not be waiting my life studying this stuff.

Why not? Some like to justify their beliefs based on thorough research. Others for interest; neither of which constitutes as a waste of time. The same reason you may study to know your faith better i.e. to increase knowledge, is likewise available to those not of that belief system to enjoy. :P
tkubok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2010 3:57:48 AM
At 10/4/2010 1:04:29 PM, Marauder wrote:
no, not ditto. I have no problem with knowing they are atheist out their or other beliefs. it does not affect my peace. nor does it affect my peace knowing I cant change your mind.

But arent there christians out there who are out of peace, knowing that they cannot change the minds of Atheists? For example, family members who have atheist sons, atheist sisters or brothers, etc?

And im kinda suggesting why it matters. Christianity is a majority, so naturally, on almost very forums which originated either in the US or any other english-speaking country, were gonna have a better chance at attracting more christians. But just because there happens to be 4 or 5 atheists that have more free time than christians, so what?

I am not criticizing the seeking of knowledge or the study of other beliefs. Just attributing where the motivation comes from. I have no doubt it would be productive of my time if I were to ever read everything Saint Augustine ever wrote, or actually knew what Josephus recorded first hand by getting the book from barns and nobles and reading it rather than just knowing what people reference it or criticize it for in other discussions, or if I bought and studied the books to every religion their is under the sun. But I am already quite certain that I'm not going to learn them all before I die, and that out all the things I should be studying, other stuff like skills to the trade I plan to work in should come first, or studying the candidates for office before voting day. also the serious study of other religions involves skills with other languages often like Greek or Hebrew and I already know I am bad at the one foreign language I have learned some of.

But heres a question to you. Is there anything that is potentially more important than whether or not you get into heaven?

with the peace of mind, I actually hold low motivation for needing to research it all before I move on to worrying about something else, like who is in charge of bringing the eggs on the scouts next camp-out and do they have stuff to keep it from freezing over-night or do I need to go to the store and get it? what time do I have available to do that? is there room between going to work and my dental appointment?
that's not even counting the hours of the day purposely waist ed on fun activities.
If I manage to learn as much as the average atheist does on theology to all religions in my spear time then koodos to me. (and to the atheist that learn the same in the same conditions that life throws at all)
But with the peace I have that the atheist does not, I have less motivation to make the choice much of a priority to sit down and study something on other beliefs over say, going bowling. I as a christian am not afraid of what I don't know yet. The atheist is afraid, and thus is in a different hurry to consume his time on learning it.

If my parents teach me that the earth is flat, and i never study up on it or properly sit down and discover otherwise, i may go on with my life believing it to be true. But if i even spend a second studying up on it, i will find out the ACTUAL truth. You may look at this, and claim that i am afraid of being ignorant, and i suppose you are right. What youve done, is basically been told of something, convinced that it was the truth, then stopped looking. And sorry to say, but that is the worst method of determining whether or not your beliefs are true. This is why i told you, i am being honest with my beliefs.
Marauder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2010 9:03:28 AM
At 10/5/2010 3:57:48 AM, tkubok wrote:
At 10/4/2010 1:04:29 PM, Marauder wrote:

But arent there christians out there who are out of peace, knowing that they cannot change the minds of Atheists? For example, family members who have atheist sons, atheist sisters or brothers, etc?

well, I guess that would be different with family members. you inevitably care about them on a different level than that of acquaintances

And im kinda suggesting why it matters. Christianity is a majority, so naturally, on almost very forums which originated either in the US or any other english-speaking country, were gonna have a better chance at attracting more christians. But just because there happens to be 4 or 5 atheists that have more free time than christians, so what?
You cannot seriously think the free time is any different statistically for the atheist and Christians on this site. and its more than 5. It's far more likely that for the Christians that are he majority on this site are not the majority in activeness because other stuff ranks as more interesting uses of there time.

But heres a question to you. Is there anything that is potentially more important than whether or not you get into heaven?
I don't know, status maybe in heaven maybe, fullness of life on earth.... I never really ranked these things.
I sense you already had a point in mind with the question though so do tell it.

If my parents teach me that the earth is flat, and i never study up on it or properly sit down and discover otherwise, i may go on with my life believing it to be true. But if i even spend a second studying up on it, i will find out the ACTUAL truth. You may look at this, and claim that i am afraid of being ignorant, and i suppose you are right. What youve done, is basically been told of something, convinced that it was the truth, then stopped looking. And sorry to say, but that is the worst method of determining whether or not your beliefs are true. This is why i told you, i am being honest with my beliefs.

No, I did not say I stopped looking nor christian have stopped looking either in general for a more perfect picture of the truth. In fact I would admit that I still look. But I'm not gazelle intense at the search that is all.
and to use your analogy, (and assuming I'm wrong so that the analogy applies) being taught the world is flat and being fine with that though knowing some think its round, the possibility that its round and I would know if I just looked into it more does not scare me. But to make the analogy more accurate; it would take much greater study to truly look into it to find out the world is round (more than it really does to tell the shape of the earth). So much material out there on the subject and the different turns it could take that some study for a lifetime and still only consume a fraction of it.

Also (now not assuming I'm wrong for the analogy) I have been let in on a secret without learning everything there to learn where the intellectual search would take me, by experiencing Jesus as my savior first hand. I have tasted and seen that he is good. In the video game that is the journey for truth though I have yet to beat the game or I'm even stuck on certain levels I peeked in the guidebook, I know some of how the plot ends.

A Scout is Obedient.
Marauder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2010 9:08:08 AM
At 10/5/2010 3:43:09 AM, Puck wrote:
Wow, then atheists have no life. For real, if there was no God and I was an Atheist I would not be waiting my life studying this stuff.

Why not? Some like to justify their beliefs based on thorough research. Others for interest; neither of which constitutes as a waste of time. The same reason you may study to know your faith better i.e. to increase knowledge, is likewise available to those not of that belief system to enjoy. :P

well that would mean it makes more sense for us (Christians) to study but not for you atheist who according to some of you do not hold a belief but 'a rejection' of a belief. so your not studying to know more about what you believe in the tooth fairy or what others believe about it to know more about what you believe about it. for you are rejecting the belief all together. you learn nothing new to what your belief is by studying mine when your belief is simply a rejection.

unless of course atheist is in itself a belief. then that changes.

A Scout is Obedient.
tBoonePickens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2010 10:14:21 AM
12 out of 15...I almost got 14 out of 15, but I rushed through. The Great Awakening is the one I got wrong. The other 2 were the transubstantiation and Sabbath beginning on Friday night. Oh well, shouldn't have rushed.
WOS
: At 10/3/2012 4:28:52 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
: Without nothing existing, you couldn't have something.
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2010 12:06:29 PM
At 10/5/2010 9:08:08 AM, Marauder wrote:
At 10/5/2010 3:43:09 AM, Puck wrote:

well that would mean it makes more sense for us (Christians) to study but not for you atheist who according to some of you do not hold a belief but 'a rejection' of a belief. so your not studying to know more about what you believe in the tooth fairy or what others believe about it to know more about what you believe about it. for you are rejecting the belief all together. you learn nothing new to what your belief is by studying mine when your belief is simply a rejection.

There's so much FAIL in that post, I don't know where to begin. I'm an atheist, and I claim -almost daily- that there probably is no God, there is no NEED for a god and believing in one is just wishful thinking. Now, to make that claim, I need to know more about just Christianity. How would I be justified in rejecting all gods if I was only educated about one? That would be the same as someone rejecting ALL scientific theories, when they only know about one.

Also, especially on a site like this, I have to be able to back up my claims. I should know the major tenets of most organized religions.... Why? Well, what if I found a religion I agreed with through my research? And even though that has not happened, at least I can defend my non-belief now with a level of intelligence. It's not that atheists have 'no life'. Most prefer to be well informed. How is that a bad thing? Go get your bible, check out a book from the library on Ramadan, do something to learn about other religions instead of condemning atheists who choose to educate themselves. Otherwise, you just come off as insecure.

unless of course atheist is in itself a belief. then that changes.

It's not a belief. It's non-belief.
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.