Jump to topic:

Question for Christians

Koopin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2010 1:31:38 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
"And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away."
- Revelation 21:4
kfc
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2010 1:40:55 PM
I actually asked a Christian this question once and she told me she would be happy God was meting out justice on the sinners, whoever they were. So...I guess the answer is yeah, for some people.
TheSkeptic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2010 1:41:41 PM
At 10/4/2010 1:31:38 PM, Koopin wrote:
"And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away."

So God will either make you forget about your loved ones, or somehow warp your thinking so you won't have the sufficient emotional bonds to be in sorrow? Interesting.
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2010 1:44:25 PM
At 10/4/2010 1:41:41 PM, TheSkeptic wrote:

So God will either make you forget about your loved ones, or somehow warp your thinking so you won't have the sufficient emotional bonds to be in sorrow? Interesting.

Jim Jones did an alright job with it.
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2010 1:45:36 PM

you know how if you leave something out in the sun too long it gets all faded and bleached out looking? thats what being in the presence of god does to your memories...
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2010 1:47:35 PM
At 10/4/2010 1:45:36 PM, belle wrote:

you know how if you leave something out in the sun too long it gets all faded and bleached out looking? thats what being in the presence of god does to your memories...

lmao how do I make this my signature??
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2010 1:49:59 PM
I just don't quite get where the joy comes in if you spend eternity praising a cosmic dictator. You might be happy if you're a sycophant, but I wouldn't be too eager to sing the unceasing praises of a being who, for inexplicable reasons, decided to create an entire race of beings for the sole purpose of worshiping him.
Marauder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2010 1:50:41 PM
At 10/4/2010 1:24:37 PM, TulleKrazy wrote:
Could you be happy in heaven knowing you'd never see [some of] your loved ones again?

we will do all the grieving we need for you people in this life. once your deeds have done brought you to hell there shall be nothing left to grieve for. our tears will not save you then.

2 Samuel 12:22-23 (King James Version)

22And he said, While the child was yet alive, I fasted and wept: for I said, Who can tell whether GOD will be gracious to me, that the child may live?
23But now he is dead, wherefore should I fast? can I bring him back again? I shall go to him, but he shall not return to me.
One act of Rebellion created all the darkness and evil in the world; One life of Total Obedience created a path back to eternity and God.

A Scout is Obedient.
Koopin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2010 1:52:48 PM
At 10/4/2010 1:49:59 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
I just don't quite get where the joy comes in if you spend eternity praising a cosmic dictator. You might be happy if you're a sycophant, but I wouldn't be too eager to sing the unceasing praises of a being who, for inexplicable reasons, decided to create an entire race of beings for the sole purpose of worshiping him.

Don't worry, you won't have to sing in hell.
kfc
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2010 1:53:58 PM

Probably because Christians don't believe God is a cosmic dictator or that he created us for the sole purpose of worshipping him.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2010 5:12:38 PM
At 10/4/2010 1:24:37 PM, TulleKrazy wrote:
Could you be happy in heaven knowing you'd never see [some of] your loved ones again?

I can't help it if one of my loved ones makes that choice. And I believe our understanding on this side of eternity is far different from what is on the other side.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2010 5:17:00 PM
May seem cold of me, but not seeing my parents wouldn't really make me upset. Yea, I'm quite distanced from my family, my dad in particular.
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2010 5:20:51 PM
At 10/4/2010 1:53:58 PM, popculturepooka wrote:

Probably because Christians don't believe God is a cosmic dictator or that he created us for the sole purpose of worshipping him.

Christians believe that he's a kind, loving, benevolent cosmic dictator, though the phrase isn't a descriptor often used.

Additionally, that's the answer I usually get from Christians when I ask why God created humanity: "to glorify Him, of course".
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2010 5:28:27 PM
At 10/4/2010 5:20:51 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:

Christians believe that he's a kind, loving, benevolent cosmic dictator, though the phrase isn't a descriptor often used.

Additionally, that's the answer I usually get from Christians when I ask why God created humanity: "to glorify Him, of course".

God created us to be in a relationship with Him. We mess that up, not Him. He wants us t love Him because we want to love, not because we are forced. We are not robots, we are His children.

Is there something wrong with being a loving kind benevolent cosmic dictator? If God suddenly appeared before you and you had no doubt would you not fall to His feet and worship Him?
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2010 5:45:00 PM
At 10/4/2010 5:28:27 PM, jharry wrote:

God created us to be in a relationship with Him.

Exactly, so we could worship him. Seems like a one-way relationship to me, but... <shrugs>

We mess that up, not Him.

We are fallible creatures, aren't we?

He wants us t love Him because we want to love, not because we are forced.

Well, if he created us... he could 'make' us love him. And there's always that incentive of not getting eternally damned if you love him. ;)

(FYI, that was a joke.)

We are not robots, we are His children.

If he created us, I would feel like a robot. Think about it... he created us with his own purpose and plans to carry out tasks that he laid out before us. I'd feel like RTD2...

Is there something wrong with being a loving kind benevolent cosmic dictator?

I have a feeling that it's the 'dictator' part that throws people off. And, has there ever been a 'benevolent' dictator before? I don't think so...

If God suddenly appeared before you and you had no doubt would you not fall to His feet and worship Him?

I'd always have doubt. How would I be able to tell that it was the Lord and not some random guy in a robe and sandals, claiming to be the son of god?
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2010 6:16:57 PM

Dictator usually has negative connotations but if you wanna put it that way...well, hey. *shrug*

That's a bit surprising. I would think the first answer to come to mind would be because he wanted to entered into loving relationships with his creations.
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2010 6:20:59 PM
At 10/4/2010 6:16:57 PM, popculturepooka wrote:

Dictator usually has negative connotations but if you wanna put it that way...well, hey. *shrug*

Aye.

That's a bit surprising. I would think the first answer to come to mind would be because he wanted to entered into loving relationships with his creations.

So, he was lonely? Seems pretty immature, then, when he casts people into the lake of fire for wanting to do their own thing.
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2010 6:23:28 PM
At 10/4/2010 5:45:00 PM, annhasle wrote:

God created us to be in a relationship with Him.

Exactly, so we could worship him. Seems like a one-way relationship to me, but... <shrugs>

We worship because of who He is not, not because He created us.

We mess that up, not Him.

We are fallible creatures, aren't we?

Very.

He wants us t love Him because we want to love, not because we are forced.

Well, if he created us... he could 'make' us love him. And there's always that incentive of not getting eternally damned if you love him. ;)

(FYI, that was a joke.)

We are not robots, we are His children.

If he created us, I would feel like a robot. Think about it... he created us with his own purpose and plans to carry out tasks that he laid out before us. I'd feel like RTD2...

But you have the free choice. Your choice is your, mine is..........

Is there something wrong with being a loving kind benevolent cosmic dictator?

I have a feeling that it's the 'dictator' part that throws people off. And, has there ever been a 'benevolent' dictator before? I don't think so...

Remember, we are fallible right? He is not.

If God suddenly appeared before you and you had no doubt would you not fall to His feet and worship Him?

I'd always have doubt. How would I be able to tell that it was the Lord and not some random guy in a robe and sandals, claiming to be the son of god?

Not like that. If He did the impossible. Not magic, but bent scientific laws to His will. You know, walked on water. Commanded the weather. Turned water into wine. Told people with cancer dying in the bed to get up and be healed/forgiven and they did, no trace of cancer. How about then?
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2010 6:30:08 PM
At 10/4/2010 6:20:59 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:

So, he was lonely? Seems pretty immature, then, when he casts people into the lake of fire for wanting to do their own thing.

I think it's a little more complicated than that.
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2010 6:30:30 PM
At 10/4/2010 6:23:28 PM, jharry wrote:

No, you worship him because he created you. That's 'who he is'.... your creator.

There are consequences for our actions, right? So I might have 'freewill' but on Judgment day, regardless of me executing my freewill, I'll be sentenced to either eternal pain or pleasure. That doesn't seem like 'freewill' to me...

I've never seen a 'dictator' as perfect.

Not like that. If He did the impossible. Not magic, but bent scientific laws to His will. You know, walked on water. Commanded the weather. Turned water into wine. Told people with cancer dying in the bed to get up and be healed/forgiven and they did, no trace of cancer. How about then?

I'd still be skeptical.
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2010 6:32:19 PM
At 10/4/2010 6:20:59 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 10/4/2010 6:16:57 PM, popculturepooka wrote:

Aye.

No. He is Love. He wanted some one to Love Him just as He love us. Angels are cool but nothing like us. We are far more interesting and unique.
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2010 6:37:38 PM
At 10/4/2010 6:30:30 PM, annhasle wrote:

No, you worship him because he created you. That's 'who he is'.... your creator.

Well I guess, if He did create me then I couldn't worship Him.

There are consequences for our actions, right? So I might have 'freewill' but on Judgment day, regardless of me executing my freewill, I'll be sentenced to either eternal pain or pleasure. That doesn't seem like 'freewill' to me...

That makes no sense. Look at it this way. Your on a bridge 500 ft up. No one is around. You have free will to jump or not. It's up to you.

You have only seen humans.

I'd still be skeptical.

And that is yours to choose.
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2010 6:51:06 PM
At 10/4/2010 6:37:38 PM, jharry wrote:

What? I'm guessing you meant 'didn't'?

That makes no sense. Look at it this way. Your on a bridge 500 ft up. No one is around. You have free will to jump or not. It's up to you.

Look at it this way: I have a gun and could either kill you or not. If I don't, ok. I'd still have murderous thoughts and that probably wouldn't go over well. And if I did shoot you, I'd be sent to Hell. So yes, I'd have 'freewill'... but there are still repercussions for all my actions. Feels like blackmail, to me.

Once of my main reasons why I have a problem with the whole 'god' thing. If I can't see it, it's kind of hard to believe it...

I'd still be skeptical.

Freewill right? Hopefully I'm not condemned for disbelief... ;)
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2010 6:59:24 PM
At 10/4/2010 6:51:06 PM, annhasle wrote:

Yep. Nice catch grammar nanny.

Look at it this way: I have a gun and could either kill you or not. If I don't, ok. I'd still have murderous thoughts and that probably wouldn't go over well. And if I did shoot you, I'd be sent to Hell. So yes, I'd have 'freewill'... but there are still repercussions for all my actions. Feels like blackmail, to me.

Depends on what you do or don't I guess. There are repercussions for ALL of our actions.

Once of my main reasons why I have a problem with the whole 'god' thing. If I can't see it, it's kind of hard to believe it...

Faith:)

I'd still be skeptical.

There is always hope.
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2010 7:02:44 PM
At 10/4/2010 6:59:24 PM, jharry wrote:
At 10/4/2010 6:51:06 PM, annhasle wrote:

Yep. Nice catch grammar nanny.

I prefer to be called Grammar Nazi.

Depends on what you do or don't I guess. There are repercussions for ALL of our actions.

Yikes.

Faith:)

Yes, the ability to believe even when faced with argument of no proof. Now, that's dedication.

I'd still be skeptical.

There is always hope.

You sound like Obama. :P