Jump to topic:

I've developed a new appreciation for atheist

Benshapiro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2015 3:59:37 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
I've developed a new appreciation for atheists on DDO.

Holy sh*t. You guys are 20-40 points higher in IQ than your average atheist.

I recently decided to join an atheist group on Facebook for the purpose of debating and discussing philosophical issues and the rebutals to my arguments were absolutely embarrassingly horrendous.

Upwards of 90% of the responses that I'd received were just pictures of memes meant to mock me. The rest were mostly statements or bare assertions that had *absolutely nothing* to do with my argument (Ad Hominems) and posts that actually agreed with my argument but thought that they were disagreeing with me.

(It was a post saying that if God doesn't exist, our organs don't have functions. Functions defined as " the special purpose or activity for which a thing exists or is used").

Granted, there were about 5 atheists out of a total of 165 comments so far that've agreed with me.
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2015 4:01:47 AM
At 12/5/2015 3:59:37 AM, Benshapiro wrote:

I recently decided to join an atheist group on Facebook for the purpose of debating and discussing philosophical issues and the rebutals to my arguments were absolutely embarrassingly horrendous.

Upwards of 90% of the responses that I'd received were just pictures of memes meant to mock me. The rest were mostly statements or bare assertions that had *absolutely nothing* to do with my argument (Ad Hominems) and posts that actually agreed with my argument but thought that they were disagreeing with me.

(It was a post saying that if God doesn't exist, our organs don't have functions. Functions defined as " the special purpose or activity for which a thing exists or is used").

Granted, there were about 5 atheists out of a total of 165 comments so far that've agreed with me.

Well, what's the IQ of the average atheist?
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
Benshapiro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2015 4:03:35 AM
At 12/5/2015 4:01:47 AM, annanicole wrote:

Well, what's the IQ of the average atheist?

I have no idea. All I know is that it's far higher on DDO than on social media in general.
collintheboss10
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2015 4:06:43 AM
I agree with you, sometimes people with religious beliefs a blinded by them and disagree with things that are factual, such as Darwin's theory of evolution. Although thing might be scientifically proven to be true with a out a shadow of a doubt, people ignore this in favor of a textile written by the profit of their religion.
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2015 4:29:49 AM

Hmmm, what group is that?
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2015 5:02:19 AM
At 12/5/2015 4:29:49 AM, Skepticalone wrote:

I'm having a tough time swallowing that the average DDO atheist has an IQ that is 30 pts higher than the average atheist out there. I know of a few in here that would sure drop that average, so if he's right, we must have some real geniuses.
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2015 5:24:46 AM
At 12/5/2015 5:02:19 AM, annanicole wrote:
At 12/5/2015 4:29:49 AM, Skepticalone wrote:

I'm having a tough time swallowing that the average DDO atheist has an IQ that is 30 pts higher than the average atheist out there. I know of a few in here that would sure drop that average, so if he's right, we must have some real geniuses.

Facebook is not necessarily a high bar to begin with. ;-)
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2015 6:24:27 AM

Did it occur to you that those on FB might be 20-40 points lower in IQ than the average?

I can safely put forward this conjecture having deleted my FB account years ago. :-)
SNP1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2015 4:53:40 PM
Posted: 12 months ago
I have found that "New Atheism" has gotten more people to become atheist moreso through emotional means either with the POE or "if there is a god, and this god is allowing all this suffering, then it isn't a god worthy of worship". The problem is that only the first one is actually an argument for atheism.

I also figured this out when I went to an atheist site where they had a section for "Prove god exists". I decided to play devil's advocate, and no one could refute it (and it wasn't too hard to do so). Because of that they kept bashing me, even after I explained its flaw and explained to them what modal logic was (as it used modal logic and they never even heard of it).

Sadly, I find that the most subscribed to atheists on YouTube seem to be this way as well. I am not saying that this type of atheism is bad (as a lot of people are theists for emotional reasons and would only consider emotional arguments), I am just saying that intellectual atheism needs to be just as prevalent (because some theists are intellectual theists and need intellectual arguments).
#TheApatheticNihilistPartyofAmerica
#WarOnDDO