Jump to topic:

Free Speech

Freeman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2010 9:53:24 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Do all of you know about the Westboro Baptist Church? If not, then you can read about them here. http://en.wikipedia.org... They're the ones that protest all over the place while maintaining that "God hates f@gs." They also claim that God hates the US, Lady Gaga, dead soldiers and a baffling litany of other things, but that's a different story.

Well, they are in a major lawsuit over one of their protests, and to be perfectly honest, I hope they win. Free speech cannot be suppressed (no matter how distasteful you may think it is), and they maintained a legal distance from the funeral.

Hitchens' words have never been truer than they are right now.

http://www.rawstory.com...
Chancellor of Propaganda and Foreign Relations in the Franklin administration.

"I intend to live forever. So far, so good." -- Steven Wright
MarquisX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2010 3:06:00 AM
At 10/5/2010 9:53:24 PM, Freeman wrote:
Do all of you know about the Westboro Baptist Church? If not, then you can read about them here. http://en.wikipedia.org... They're the ones that protest all over the place while maintaining that "God hates f@gs." They also claim that God hates the US, Lady Gaga, dead soldiers and a baffling litany of other things, but that's a different story.

Well, they are in a major lawsuit over one of their protests, and to be perfectly honest, I hope they win. Free speech cannot be suppressed (no matter how distasteful you may think it is), and they maintained a legal distance from the funeral.

Hitchens' words have never been truer than they are right now.

http://www.rawstory.com...

This is a tough one. For one I do believe in Free speech but then again, it's hateful people like this that Christianity a bad name. God doesn't "hate" anything.
Sophisticated ignorance, write my curses in cursive
Zetsubou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2010 5:01:32 AM

This is a tough one. For one I do believe in Free speech but then again, it's hateful people like this that Christianity a bad name. God doesn't "hate" anything.

There are six things the LORD HATES, seven that are DETESTABLE to him: haughty eyes, a lying tongue, hands that shed innocent blood, a heart that devises wicked schemes, feet that are quick to rush into evil, a false witness who pours out lies and a man who stirs up dissension among brothers.
-Proverbs 6:16-19
'sup DDO -- july 2013
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2010 6:19:48 AM
Well, they are in a major lawsuit over one of their protests, and to be perfectly honest, I hope they win. Free speech cannot be suppressed (no matter how distasteful you may think it is), and they maintained a legal distance from the funeral.:

Agreed wholeheartedly.

That's not to say I think they should win all of their lawsuits (there are many pending lawsuits against them). The recent invasion of privacy lawsuit against appears justified.

It would be like saying, because we have a right to say whatever we want, we therefore have a right to walk in to anyone's home in order to say what we want to say.

Sacrificing one right for another doesn't justify it.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2010 6:20:24 AM
At 10/9/2010 5:01:32 AM, Zetsubou wrote:

There are six things the LORD HATES, seven that are DETESTABLE to him: haughty eyes, a lying tongue, hands that shed innocent blood, a heart that devises wicked schemes, feet that are quick to rush into evil, a false witness who pours out lies and a man who stirs up dissension among brothers.
-Proverbs 6:16-19:

Well played, Zets, well played.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)