Jump to topic:

Religion and gambling

Jovian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2015 3:13:43 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I have noticed that the ones who are the foremost advocaters of banning gambling are the religious people. I would like to see how you regard the topic from the perspective from your religion.

Talking from the perspective of the Bible (just an example, all religions are welcome here), I've read this link http://www.gotquestions.org... and it says that the Bible doesn't mention anywhere that gambling is something sinful.
JJ50
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2015 3:24:56 PM
At 12/7/2015 3:13:43 PM, Jovian wrote:
I have noticed that the ones who are the foremost advocaters of banning gambling are the religious people. I would like to see how you regard the topic from the perspective from your religion.

Talking from the perspective of the Bible (just an example, all religions are welcome here), I've read this link http://www.gotquestions.org... and it says that the Bible doesn't mention anywhere that gambling is something sinful.

As an unbeliever I don't think gambling is 'sinful', just stupid! You are likely to lose a lot more money than you make on the activity.
Cami95
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2015 3:26:15 PM

As a Christian I subscribe to an ideal of "reaping what you sow." Gambling at best is getting something for nothing. At worst it is a highly addictive detrimental investment.
smelisox
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2015 3:27:31 PM
"Ye shall not gamble lest ye desire the firiest pit of hell amongst the misshapen and unbaptised babies"
-Jesus

Sorry mate
Jovian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2015 3:29:31 PM
At 12/7/2015 3:24:56 PM, JJ50 wrote:

As an unbeliever I don't think gambling is 'sinful', just stupid! You are likely to lose a lot more money than you make on the activity.

True. That's why one should only play it for the adrenaline, and play with low bets, like I do.

At 12/7/2015 3:26:15 PM, Cami95 wrote:

As a Christian I subscribe to an ideal of "reaping what you sow." Gambling at best is getting something for nothing. At worst it is a highly addictive detrimental investment.

Sure. But it's also indeed possible to play in moderation. If you put just a very little amount of money into it very month, I can't see it as any worse investment than going to the amusement park, since you had a nice time on both of the activities.
DPMartin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2015 3:37:53 PM
Though gambling isn"t the same as drinking, they have similar results in individuals and society. Drinking isn"t inherently evil, Jesus turned water into wine for the purpose of a wedding celebration at the request of Mary. But in excess and unchecked it becomes a detriment, also expressed in places in the bible like proverbs. Same thing with gambling. And left into the hands of illegal operations, it worsens exponentially. As the wise man has said, everything has its place and time.
Cami95
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2015 4:04:55 PM
Sure. But it's also indeed possible to play in moderation. If you put just a very little amount of money into it very month, I can't see it as any worse investment than going to the amusement park, since you had a nice time on both of the activities.

Getting something for nothing in moderation is still getting something for nothing. I suppose that my opinion hinges on the motive and the result of gambling rather than the action of gambling itself.