Jump to topic:

Catholics on the Papacy and Salvation

Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2015 5:56:28 AM
Posted: 12 months ago
1. Do Catholics believe that since the Church in Rome is (allegedly) the legitimate church founded by Peter, those who call themselves Christian but reject the authority of the Papacy over all Christiandom are going to Hell?
2. Is it necessary that the True Church be united under the Roman Catholic Church or would it suffice for the Church to be united under any single governing body which adheres to proper Christian doctrine?

Catholics whose beliefs are fairly orthodox only, please.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2015 5:37:25 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/8/2015 5:56:28 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
1. Do Catholics believe that since the Church in Rome is (allegedly) the legitimate church founded by Peter, those who call themselves Christian but reject the authority of the Papacy over all Christiandom are going to Hell?

Well you would have to look at the Catholic teaching on Mortal Sin.

For a sin to be mortal, three conditions must together be met: "Mortal sin is sin whose object is grave matter and which is also committed with full knowledge and deliberate consent."

So is rejection of the legitimate authority Christ established a grave matter? Yup.
Is the person rejecting the Papacy and Magisterium doing so with full knowledge? Maybe.
Is the person doing so with deliberate consent? Once again depends on circumstances.

2. Is it necessary that the True Church be united under the Roman Catholic Church or would it suffice for the Church to be united under any single governing body which adheres to proper Christian doctrine?

Jesus established one church for the forgiveness of sins and the salvation of souls. He appointed one man to act as its earthly head. The Church has traditionally held that the Church is the barque of Peter, which was prefigured by the Noah's Ark. Those not on the ark were lost.

This article might help...

https://www.ewtn.com...

Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2015 5:41:35 PM
At 12/10/2015 5:37:25 PM, Geogeer wrote:

For a sin to be mortal, three conditions must together be met: "Mortal sin is sin whose object is grave matter and which is also committed with full knowledge and deliberate consent."

So is rejection of the legitimate authority Christ established a grave matter? Yup.
Is the person rejecting the Papacy and Magisterium doing so with full knowledge? Maybe.
Is the person doing so with deliberate consent? Once again depends on circumstances.

So for most Christians that's a yes.

Jesus established one church for the forgiveness of sins and the salvation of souls. He appointed one man to act as its earthly head. The Church has traditionally held that the Church is the barque of Peter, which was prefigured by the Noah's Ark. Those not on the ark were lost.

The DDO Blog:

Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2015 5:55:39 PM
At 12/10/2015 5:41:35 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

It is tough to say. If a Christian has been so poisoned against the Catholic faith from a young age, that they are in essence rendered invincibly ignorant on it then it is possible that it won't be held against them. Just hearing something doesn't mean that you know it. In fact I'd say most non-Catholic Christians are actually very under educated on the matter.

Hope I'm Catholic enough.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2015 6:05:14 PM
At 12/10/2015 5:55:39 PM, Geogeer wrote:

It is tough to say. If a Christian has been so poisoned against the Catholic faith from a young age, that they are in essence rendered invincibly ignorant on it then it is possible that it won't be held against them. Just hearing something doesn't mean that you know it. In fact I'd say most non-Catholic Christians are actually very under educated on the matter.

I've been raised Protestant, which in my case was more an absence of Catholic-ness rather than anti-catholicism. Today I don't really have a problem with Catholics and I understand their positions more than I used to but I still choose to be Protestant.
Am I going to Hell?

The DDO Blog:

Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2015 10:25:28 PM
At 12/10/2015 6:05:14 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
At 12/10/2015 5:55:39 PM, Geogeer wrote:

I've been raised Protestant, which in my case was more an absence of Catholic-ness rather than anti-catholicism. Today I don't really have a problem with Catholics and I understand their positions more than I used to but I still choose to be Protestant.
Am I going to Hell?

The Church never says who is and isn't going to hell. It just passes on what it was given. I would only comment that, from a Catholic standpoint, you are learning about God in a Church that teaches error, you have no valid sacramental confession and that you are not worshipping God in the way He has commanded us to worship Him.

And greatest of all you do not have the Eucharist. This is the spiritual food for your soul that gives it life.