Jump to topic:

Does God's Mindset Change?

miloisqueer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2015 6:33:18 PM
Posted: 12 months ago
I was thinking about the bible, and how the old testament is considered to be obsolete now, and I was curious, if no new biblical passages have been written in the past several millennia, how are we to know that God has not changed his mind yet again?

This is just one of my many musings, and I don't expect a definitive answer, but I was hoping for discussion of the idea.
Religion is capable of driving people to such dangerous folly that faith seems to me to qualify as a kind of mental illness. -Richard Dawkins
EtrnlVw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2015 6:55:40 PM
At 12/9/2015 6:33:18 PM, miloisqueer wrote:
I was thinking about the bible, and how the old testament is considered to be obsolete now, and I was curious, if no new biblical passages have been written in the past several millennia, how are we to know that God has not changed his mind yet again?

This is just one of my many musings, and I don't expect a definitive answer, but I was hoping for discussion of the idea.

Maybe the word "obsolete" is a little extreme but to answer your question the Gospels are still plenty fresh and sustainable, it's just most folks overlook the timeless, applicable aspect of spirituality contained within.
The only thing that is really obsolete/lapsed is the culture, time period and laws (the material things) however it is the spiritual aspects that undergird that are unchanging, for God this little time period that has passed is merely a blink of an eye compared to eternity.
As far as I'm concerned spiritual truth and principles are just like natural/physical laws, they remain constant and unchanging, there must be a solid foundation so that there is consistency, I would be inclined to think the same about the mindset of God but the mindset is GOOD! That an eternal God would desire for us to walk in light and in fellowship is pretty dern cool no matter how you view it, it's just we may disagree with what is "in the light".

Having said that did you have some things in mind you were thinking about? things God might change?
FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2015 6:58:01 PM

Well, obsolete depending on how much you want to spin the old or new to remain relevant. In either case, I see where you are coming from. I don't think anything can be related to be part of the canon anymore, but I also don't find it coincidental that such "miraculous" events stopped happening roughly proportionally to the proliferation of picture and video taking devices. One would be imm
ediately subjected to the rigors of science (which really shouldn't pose a problem if you think about it), assuming they were to show up claiming divine power and authority.
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
http://www.debate.org...
Pollux
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2015 7:00:52 PM
Yes. At least according to the scriptures. In several instances God "repents of" the punishment he was pouring out on some people or another. In those cases, God is the one declaring that he is changing his mind.
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2015 7:04:52 PM

You forget God did give the last prophet Mohammad (PBUH) the Quran which contains His last will and testament. So He has changed His mind and Islam/Quran is the new replacement for the Bible.
We already have over 1.6 billion Muslims who have heard the new message. You are dangerously threading the path of the infidel and there are 164 jihad verses in the Quran to deal with people like you.
But peace be with you. You now have your answer. You can watch the news for jihad verses being applied to infidels.
Toad-Uoff
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2015 7:07:41 PM
The answer is No!

The reason why is simple:

The lil-pHucker always Lies.

'nuff said. ;)

Ribbit :)
Toad-Uoff
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2015 7:30:36 PM
At 12/9/2015 7:04:52 PM, Harikrish wrote:

You forget God did give the last prophet Mohammad (PBUH) the Quran which contains His last will and testament. So He has changed His mind and Islam/Quran is the new replacement for the Bible.
We already have over 1.6 billion Muslims who have heard the new message. You are dangerously threading the path of the infidel and there are 164 jihad verses in the Quran to deal with people like you.
But peace be with you. You now have your answer. You can watch the news for jihad verses being applied to infidels.

God did not give Mohammad the Koran, Arch Angel Gabriel is the SourCe of the Koran, through Fatimah, just like Gabriel is Source for Christianity, through Yeshua, since Gabriel was the biological father of Yeshua and when your mother and father are both Gods, you birth as a God, that's why Yeshua claimed to be a God.

And Christianity and Islam BOTH have laid down the ULTIMATE LAW:

"Judge kNot, lest Ye be Judged."

That ONE part of Islam will be dealing with your Evilness for mentioning the Koran for Judgmental purposes. Neither Islam nor Christianity allows for judgment, ABSOLUTE, so you are not a true follower of either, which then makes you a Law of oNe Yew.

When you call yourself a follower and then you violate the Rules, you pay severely for that indiscretion and it's known as Synchronicity.

"You have to Learn the Rules of the Game and then Play better than anyone else." - Albert Einstein

"The Trick to All of tHis is to Learn the Game, Learn the Rules, then Cheat better than everyone else." - b00bEE pHisHer

Please stick your Jihad head up your azz so your head will fill with Methane, then it won't be empty any longer and you will then finally be able to converse logically with others, and even with a hint of truth in your words!

You are a Closed Minded fool and that violates Islam because Islam is a Law of Zer0 Open System Religion and you are not living the Life of Zer0, like Islam demands of you, so you are the Infidel calling others Infidels, like the Pot calling the Kettle black.

"You can't teach someone something they already kN0w." - Old Toad Proverb (aka: Law of Closed Mindedness)

"He who sees 0nly with his own two eyes, sees 0nly what he wants to see; he who listens 0nly with his own two ears, hears 0nly what he wants to hear; he who walks 0nly on his own two legs, walks 0nly where he wants to walk; he who loves 0nly with his own heart, loves 0nly himself; and he who kN0ws he is right, is always right, even when he is kNot. - Old Toad Proverb (aka: Law of Duality Perception)

12_13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2015 8:26:24 PM
I was thinking about the bible, and how the old testament is considered to be obsolete now,

That is not what Jesus says. And if person is disciple of Jesus ("Christian"), he should listen to Jesus.

"Don't think that I came to destroy the law or the prophets. I didn't come to destroy, but to fulfill. For most assuredly, I tell you, until heaven and earth pass away, not even one smallest letter or one tiny pen stroke shall in any way pass away from the law, until all things are accomplished. Whoever, therefore, shall break one of these least commandments, and teach others to do so, shall be called least in the Kingdom of Heaven; but whoever shall do and teach them shall be called great in the Kingdom of Heaven.

Mat. 5:17-19
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2015 8:34:06 PM
At 12/9/2015 7:30:36 PM, Toad-Uoff wrote:
At 12/9/2015 7:04:52 PM, Harikrish wrote:

God did not give Mohammad the Koran, Arch Angel Gabriel is the SourCe of the Koran, through Fatimah, just like Gabriel is Source for Christianity, through Yeshua, since Gabriel was the biological father of Yeshua and when your mother and father are both Gods, you birth as a God, that's why Yeshua claimed to be a God.

And Christianity and Islam BOTH have laid down the ULTIMATE LAW:

"Judge kNot, lest Ye be Judged."

That ONE part of Islam will be dealing with your Evilness for mentioning the Koran for Judgmental purposes. Neither Islam nor Christianity allows for judgment, ABSOLUTE, so you are not a true follower of either, which then makes you a Law of oNe Yew.

When you call yourself a follower and then you violate the Rules, you pay severely for that indiscretion and it's known as Synchronicity.

"You have to Learn the Rules of the Game and then Play better than anyone else." - Albert Einstein

"The Trick to All of tHis is to Learn the Game, Learn the Rules, then Cheat better than everyone else." - b00bEE pHisHer

Please stick your Jihad head up your azz so your head will fill with Methane, then it won't be empty any longer and you will then finally be able to converse logically with others, and even with a hint of truth in your words!

You are a Closed Minded fool and that violates Islam because Islam is a Law of Zer0 Open System Religion and you are not living the Life of Zer0, like Islam demands of you, so you are the Infidel calling others Infidels, like the Pot calling the Kettle black.

"You can't teach someone something they already kN0w." - Old Toad Proverb (aka: Law of Closed Mindedness)

"He who sees 0nly with his own two eyes, sees 0nly what he wants to see; he who listens 0nly with his own two ears, hears 0nly what he wants to hear; he who walks 0nly on his own two legs, walks 0nly where he wants to walk; he who loves 0nly with his own heart, loves 0nly himself; and he who kN0ws he is right, is always right, even when he is kNot. - Old Toad Proverb (aka: Law of Duality Perception)

There isn't much to say to someone who wants to be treated like a toad. There isn't much of a chance someone will kiss your curse away which put you in a toad body. At least you are not as stupid as you look.
janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2015 8:51:52 PM
At 12/9/2015 6:55:40 PM, EtrnlVw wrote:

Maybe the word "obsolete" is a little extreme but to answer your question the Gospels are still plenty fresh and sustainable, it's just most folks overlook the timeless, applicable aspect of spirituality contained within.
The only thing that is really obsolete/lapsed is the culture, time period and laws (the material things) however it is the spiritual aspects that undergird that are unchanging, for God this little time period that has passed is merely a blink of an eye compared to eternity.
As far as I'm concerned spiritual truth and principles are just like natural/physical laws, they remain constant and unchanging, there must be a solid foundation so that there is consistency, I would be inclined to think the same about the mindset of God but the mindset is GOOD! That an eternal God would desire for us to walk in light and in fellowship is pretty dern cool no matter how you view it, it's just we may disagree with what is "in the light".

Having said that did you have some things in mind you were thinking about? things God might change?

What spiritual truths?
EtrnlVw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2015 9:03:25 PM
At 12/9/2015 8:51:52 PM, janesix wrote:

What spiritual truths?

There are many, just as there are many natural/material truths. Anything you would like to know specifically?
janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2015 9:07:49 PM
At 12/9/2015 9:03:25 PM, EtrnlVw wrote:

What spiritual truths?

There are many, just as there are many natural/material truths. Anything you would like to know specifically?

If there are many, it should be easy to list five spiritual truths.
EtrnlVw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2015 9:20:03 PM
At 12/9/2015 9:07:49 PM, janesix wrote:

What spiritual truths?

Matthew 6
33 But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.

John 15
4 Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me.

Hebrews 11
6 But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.

Luke 17
5 And the apostles said unto the Lord, Increase our faith.

6 And the Lord said, If ye had faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye might say unto this sycamine tree, Be thou plucked up by the root, and be thou planted in the sea; and it should obey you.

Galatians 5
16 This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.

17 For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would.

18 But if ye be led of the Spirit,

Ephesians 6
10 Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might.

11 Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.

Romans 8
5 For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit.

6 For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.

7 Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.

8 So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God.

Let me know if you need more.
janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2015 9:23:07 PM
At 12/9/2015 9:20:03 PM, EtrnlVw wrote:

What spiritual truths?

Matthew 6
33 But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.

John 15
4 Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me.

Hebrews 11
6 But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.

Luke 17

6 And the Lord said, If ye had faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye might say unto this sycamine tree, Be thou plucked up by the root, and be thou planted in the sea; and it should obey you.

Galatians 5
16 This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.

17 For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would.

Ephesians 6

11 Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.

Romans 8
5 For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit.

6 For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.

7 Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.

No thanks, I was just curious as to what you meant by spiritual truth. Why do you believe these things are true?
EtrnlVw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2015 9:24:17 PM
At 12/9/2015 9:23:07 PM, janesix wrote:

What spiritual truths?

Matthew 6

John 15

Hebrews 11

Luke 17

Galatians 5

Ephesians 6

Romans 8

No thanks, I was just curious as to what you meant by spiritual truth. Why do you believe these things are true?

Because I apply them to my life and observe the fruit thereof. Christianity is a spiritual application.
FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2015 1:15:27 AM
At 12/9/2015 9:24:17 PM, EtrnlVw wrote:

What spiritual truths?

Matthew 6

John 15

Hebrews 11

Luke 17

Galatians 5

Ephesians 6

Romans 8

Because I apply them to my life and observe the fruit thereof. Christianity is a spiritual application.

Its not very "spiritual" in truth of you refer to one work of objectively physical scripture to quote it. Just sayin'. Water doesn't freeze at constant temps because its WRITTEN that it freezes at constant temps, but that seems to be where you have derived your truths from.
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
http://www.debate.org...
EtrnlVw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2015 7:59:45 PM
At 12/10/2015 1:15:27 AM, FaustianJustice wrote:
At 12/9/2015 9:24:17 PM, EtrnlVw wrote:

What spiritual truths?

Matthew 6

John 15

Hebrews 11

Luke 17

Galatians 5

Ephesians 6

Romans 8

Its not very "spiritual" in truth of you refer to one work of objectively physical scripture to quote it. Just sayin'. Water doesn't freeze at constant temps because its WRITTEN that it freezes at constant temps, but that seems to be where you have derived your truths from.

The way you phrased your wording in the first part is a little messy but I think what you are saying is the opposite of what I wrote, did you read the last sentence? Nobody around here seems to understand what the words "apply" and "observe" mean lol.

Spiritual principles (truths) can be observed just like natural laws, but they must be applied. Just as you said above, water doesn't freeze because it is written that is does, the same goes for spirituality, it is an application not just a written work. Thanks for pointing that out I hope you got it now.
miloisqueer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2015 5:43:55 PM

Well, for a more particular example, Leviticus' teachings are often cited in regards to homosexuality, but it also speaks out quite strongly against mixed fabrics, cultivated land with different crops, and shellfish. Clearly, if southern church gatherings are anything to go by, the mixed fabric and shellfish laws have become, as I stated earlier, obsolete. So why have people chosen to continue to follow the teachings on homosexuality? If God's ideals changed (though as you say his mindset is eternal, I'll address that in a moment) on such petty complaints as textiles and shrimp, how are we to know they remain consistent on the ideas of homosexuality.

Now, to your point of his mindset being eternal: If God is omniscient, why should he have bothered with an old and a new testament, each with subtle differences in teachings? If he knew how everything was going to turn out, why did he bother? This leaves me with two conclusions I could accept: First, the Bible is not divinely inspired. This is my personal belief, as I see the Bible as a sort of elaborate propaganda. Or second, God is as fallible as us all.
Religion is capable of driving people to such dangerous folly that faith seems to me to qualify as a kind of mental illness. -Richard Dawkins
miloisqueer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2015 5:48:47 PM
At 12/9/2015 8:26:24 PM, 12_13 wrote:
I was thinking about the bible, and how the old testament is considered to be obsolete now,

That is not what Jesus says. And if person is disciple of Jesus ("Christian"), he should listen to Jesus.

"Don't think that I came to destroy the law or the prophets. I didn't come to destroy, but to fulfill. For most assuredly, I tell you, until heaven and earth pass away, not even one smallest letter or one tiny pen stroke shall in any way pass away from the law, until all things are accomplished. Whoever, therefore, shall break one of these least commandments, and teach others to do so, shall be called least in the Kingdom of Heaven; but whoever shall do and teach them shall be called great in the Kingdom of Heaven.

Mat. 5:17-19

Then please, explain to me the cherrypicking nature of modern christians with the old testament.
TheWORDisLIFE
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2015 6:09:38 PM

The entire Bible is about the Israelites, not the whole world. God doe not change, meaning HE does not change HIS mind on the people HE chose. Both covenants pertain to the Israelites.
miloisqueer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2015 6:13:11 PM
At 12/11/2015 6:09:38 PM, TheWORDisLIFE wrote:

The entire Bible is about the Israelites, not the whole world. God doe not change, meaning HE does not change HIS mind on the people HE chose. Both covenants pertain to the Israelites.

Okay, but people still choose to follow the rules thereof, so let's not digress. I don't particularly care who's following the rules, I simply want to know why the rules are as they are.

And, if what you say is true still applies. then why do so many people who are not Israelites follow the Bible's rules and deem themselves christians?
TheWORDisLIFE
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2015 6:42:58 PM
At 12/11/2015 6:13:11 PM, miloisqueer wrote:
At 12/11/2015 6:09:38 PM, TheWORDisLIFE wrote:

Okay, but people still choose to follow the rules thereof, so let's not digress. I don't particularly care who's following the rules, I simply want to know why the rules are as they are.

I'm assuming when you says "rules" you are referring to the Laws. The Laws of God were only given to one nation of people, Israel.

Psalms 147:19-20

19 He sheweth his word vnto Iacob: his statutes and his iudgements vnto Israel.

20 He hath not dealt so with any nation: and as for his iudgements, they haue not knowen them. Praise yee the Lord.

And, if what you say is true still applies. then why do so many people who are not Israelites follow the Bible's rules and deem themselves christians?

Modern day "Christians" don't know the Bible, that is why they think God loves everyone, Jesus only came through Mary or God came down from HIS throne and had sex with Mary in spirit (lol), they don't know which Gentiles were given salvation, they believe there is a hell underneath the earth and heaven is in the sky (I guess in their imagination we will be floating in the sky lol), they think Christ was a "white" guy with light brown straight hair, etc... "Christianity" has it's own dumb doctrine of fairy tales. The true Prophets of God have not taught the Bible the way it should be taught, which is precept MUST be upon precept (Isaiah 28:10), that is until now. The lost sheep of Israel are waking up. Christians don't know who they are according to Scripture, they don't know who the real Israelites are, most "Christians" don't follow anything Christ did. The only Scripture "Christians" can lean on to say God loves everyone is John 3:16, yet if they read John 3:1 and 14-16, and if they read the OT at all, they'd know who God calls "world" and who Christ is talking about.

Christ only came for the lost sheep of Israel.

Matthew 15:24 But he answered, and said, I am not sent, but vnto the lost sheepe of the house of Israel.

Repentance is only for Israel.

Acts 5:31 Him hath God exalted with his right hand to bee a Prince and a Sauiour, for to giue repentance to Israel, and forgiuenesse of sinnes.
12_13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2015 7:43:02 PM
At 12/11/2015 5:48:47 PM, miloisqueer wrote:
Then please, explain to me the cherrypicking nature of modern christians with the old testament.

I don"t know what you mean with that.

However in this case it would be good to understand that there are at least two Covenants in the Bible. Old is the one that was made through Moses and one was made through Jesus. They have different terms and promises. You can read more about the Covenants from here:
http://www.kolumbus.fi...
Jeremiah3021
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2015 8:30:32 PM
You NEW TESTAMENT keepers , Everything YHWH said in the so called old testament will and is coming to pass as of now, So why are Israelites & others following j'christ and this "new" book, YHWH never told us about this "new" change that would come , PPl nothing have changed at all someone wants us to think so, But don't change ppl do !!! Let's see what scriptures say about will or have YHWH changed his mind , an how he feels about the Israelites in MALACHI 3:6 FOR I AM YHWH, I CHANGE NOT; THEREFORE YE SONS OF JACOB ARE NOT CONSUMED... NEW TESTAMENT is replacement theology twisted FALSEHOODS
TheWORDisLIFE
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2015 10:28:44 PM
At 12/11/2015 8:30:32 PM, Jeremiah3021 wrote:
You NEW TESTAMENT keepers , Everything YHWH said in the so called old testament will and is coming to pass as of now, So why are Israelites & others following j'christ and this "new" book, YHWH never told us about this "new" change that would come , PPl nothing have changed at all someone wants us to think so, But don't change ppl do !!! Let's see what scriptures say about will or have YHWH changed his mind , an how he feels about the Israelites in MALACHI 3:6 FOR I AM YHWH, I CHANGE NOT; THEREFORE YE SONS OF JACOB ARE NOT CONSUMED... NEW TESTAMENT is replacement theology twisted FALSEHOODS

Umm, you do know that the OT prophecies about the coming of Christ don't you? The NT states nothing new, salvation is still for the Israelites, God is still the God of the Israelites, nothing has changed, in exception of animal sacrifice. The NT quotes the OT. That is why Jeremiah 31:31 says...

Jeremiah 31:31 Behold, the dayes come, saith the Lord, that I will make a newe couenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Iudah.
lifeforce
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2015 11:32:21 PM

This is just one of my many musings, and I don't expect a definitive answer, but I was hoping for discussion of the idea. : :

God didn't change but his people do all the time. None of them understand the old testament prophecies which contain future promises and events that haven't happened yet.
Casey36
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2015 6:25:16 AM
I believe God can change his mind. He does so multiple times in the bible and I don't see why he can't now. I think the overall morals and values of the stories in the bible still hold true today but I think many of the teachings are outdated. I think God changes with His people. There are many ways of life that was practiced in the Old Testament that we do not practice today, such as stoning a woman to death for adultery. I don't think everything in the bible is meant to be taken literally.