Evidence of a Deistic god

Pollux
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2015 8:49:22 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/10/2015 8:45:26 PM, triangle.128k wrote:
Without starting a flame war, what is some evidence for the god that deists hold to be true?

I would guess that it is merely existence that appears mechanical. The clockwork universe.
janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2015 8:50:30 PM
Without starting a flame war, what is some evidence for the god that deists hold to be true?

The fine tuning of the laws and constants of nature.

Irreducible complexity in biology.

The geometric configurations of the planets and the sun.

Perfect eclipses.

The fine tuning of chemistry and geophysics of the Earth for habitability.
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2015 9:11:48 PM
Classical Deism saw a surge of acceptance during the Enlightenment, when science was making early inroads into demonstrating a highly orderly, predictable, and potentially benign universe ostensibly purpose-built for human life, while human reason seemed purpose-built for its comprehension. Such impressions suggested a benign creator, and there were largely unchallenged cultural assumptions that this would be proven so.

Since then however, those impressions have largely been debunked. The universe is much older, more chaotic and less ordered than was thought; it's far more difficult for humanity to comprehend than was realised, and much less suitable to the habitation of life than was once supposed; the development of life itself has been shown to be chaotic, wasteful and arbitrary, not with humanity as an end-point, but one of many disposable branches, and so the idea of a benign intelligent creator has suffered serious damage.

Through the 20th century, Deism has consequently lost a lot of appeal as a scientific alternative to theism. This is no better illustrated when the Einstein's Deist protest "God does not play dice with man" was falsified by quantum mechanics: the more chance there is in the world, the less moral consequence, hence the less moral order, and the lower the credibility of an orderly, benign creator.

From what I've seen, modern Deists seem to have pinned vestigial hopes of a moral order to what are now (I think) fairly vague and diffuse beliefs, rather than an empirically-evidenced observations. Two popular modern schools hold that the universe either is God or is part of God, but what that portends for the role of man in the universe is unclear to me. Are we organs? Bacteria? And are we supposed to work to our own benefit, or some cosmic benefit and if so, what?

Like theism, I personally think that modern Deism has lost its credibility, rationality and its way.
Chaosism
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2015 9:17:51 PM

Deism : "Belief in the existence of a supreme being, specifically of a creator who does not intervene in the universe." [Oxford]

By definition, a deistic God has literally zero interaction with the universe aside from creation, so the only possible evidence would be in the observation of the creation of the universe. Since the events that proceeded the singularity described by the Big Bang Theory cannot possibly be measured or observed, all conclusions regarding the creation of the universe are derived from undefined events. Logical conclusions are only as strong as the premises, and premises drawn from the unknowable are assumptions.

"Since events before the Big Bang have no observational consequences, one may as well cut them out of the theory, and say that time began at the Big Bang. Events before the Big Bang, are simply not defined, because there's no way one could measure what happened at them." - Stephen Hawking: excerpt from http://www.hawking.org.uk....

I believe that deism is logically equivalent to atheism. Since there is literally no means of determining the will, nature, or desire of such a god, then one may as well live as if this god doesn't exist. Deism offers an alternative to those not willing to accept a naturalistic explanation for the existence of the universe while rejecting religious accounts.