Jump to topic:

Morals and mean people

janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2015 4:43:17 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
There are plenty of mean people here, and i have some questions for you.

Where do your morals come from?
Are you mean in person, or just in the forums?
Do you feel guilty when you are mean to someone who doesnt deserve it?
Does it feel good to make someone feel bad?
Do you wish you were a nicer person?
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2015 8:52:15 AM
At 12/13/2015 4:43:17 AM, janesix wrote:

Maybe you ought to indicate what kind of words you interpret to be mean since I doubt anyone sees themselves as deliberately mean.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2015 3:31:02 PM

Plenty? No doubt then, I must be part of that group of mean people. Are we the majority, btw?

I'll gladly take a mean stab at your questions, seeing as how the threads intention is clearly flame bait, and what better way to get mean than a thread that begs for it.

The same place as everyone else, the brain. We all decide our moral values from one moment to the next and it may vary from any given scenario requiring a moral choice.

Absolutely not, I'm way more bada$$ in person.

Perhaps, this is a question best clarified before answering.

Most folks here who might be considered mean are merely being mean at the various religious ideologies and not the people who embrace them. That shouldn't be a problem, but unfortunately it is due to the fact theists take their religions very personally and consider their gods every bit a part of them as are their arms and legs. You assault their gods, you assault them. This is where the discussion usually starts to fall off the rails.

As to the question, no, I don't feel guilty assaulting someones god. I would expect that if a theist wishes to join a public forum, they should be fully prepared to understand they must separate themselves from their gods if any kind of discussion can take place.

Of course not. But, if it makes someone feel bad that I've considered their gods vindictive, corrupt megalomaniacs, should that be my problem? Am I at fault?

Absolutely. Here's how it works. I remember making some off hand comment to you at one time and would now like to take it back and apologize.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2015 4:24:33 PM
At 12/13/2015 3:31:02 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

Plenty? No doubt then, I must be part of that group of mean people. Are we the majority, btw?

I'll gladly take a mean stab at your questions, seeing as how the threads intention is clearly flame bait, and what better way to get mean than a thread that begs for it.

The same place as everyone else, the brain. We all decide our moral values from one moment to the next and it may vary from any given scenario requiring a moral choice.

Absolutely not, I'm way more bada$$ in person.

Perhaps, this is a question best clarified before answering.

Most folks here who might be considered mean are merely being mean at the various religious ideologies and not the people who embrace them. That shouldn't be a problem, but unfortunately it is due to the fact theists take their religions very personally and consider their gods every bit a part of them as are their arms and legs. You assault their gods, you assault them. This is where the discussion usually starts to fall off the rails.

As to the question, no, I don't feel guilty assaulting someones god. I would expect that if a theist wishes to join a public forum, they should be fully prepared to understand they must separate themselves from their gods if any kind of discussion can take place.

Of course not. But, if it makes someone feel bad that I've considered their gods vindictive, corrupt megalomaniacs, should that be my problem? Am I at fault?

Absolutely. Here's how it works. I remember making some off hand comment to you at one time and would now like to take it back and apologize.

Well played DJR. I would only expand upon the concept that morals are decisions. I think a persons moral base always begins with emotion and whether a person can and how much he empathizes, trusts, etc.

That sentiment can explain how millions of Christians can look at a population of people running from war in great need and justify pushing them aside due to fear that a few "bad" people will do some harm despite it going against the very morals their faith espouses.

I have a feeling that decisions are often founded upon the colored lens the individual operates in due to brain structure and functioning, IE: high empathy versus low empathy, high trusting versus low trusting, etc
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2015 7:45:37 PM

Basic etiquette
I can be a bit of a snarky bitch in both.
I'm only ever mean to people who deserve it, or to people who know that it's all in good fun.
Yes, if you mean a sense of accomplishment. Suffering helps people grow. Punishment helps modify problem behaviors. Humans aren't so fragile that someone being snarky on the internet will destroy them, and this touchy-feely trend of declawing all human interactions is downright pathological.
No. I'm at about the perfect niceness level right now.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2015 9:07:06 PM
I don't know whether I'm a mean person or not in your eyes, Jane, but the premise was so provocative that I decided to answer anyway.

Normally, from a deep, abiding, lifelong respect for my fellow man, a regard for evidence and reason, and a delight in the wonder of life itself. But when I wish to be mean, I consult Macchiavelli's The Prince, or read any novel by Thomas Harris.

I'm worse in person, because I have thick eyebrows, which I can use to good effect.

Do you feel guilty when you are mean to someone who doesn't deserve it?
If you'd be so kind to point out the lazy, cowardly, dishonest and malignant members who don't deserve to feel bad for their behaviour, I'll guarantee to try and feel guilty, should I ever again criticise them.

Absolutely! The ability to confront wrong and criticise bad thought is part of maintaining our ethics, dignity and self-esteem. If we couldn't exercise that ability, we'd be so disempowered, we'd all become passive-aggressive whiners.

I wish my eyebrows were thicker, Jane, like Oscar's from Sesame Street. I often feel robbed of greatness by eyebrows that, while impressive, in the end aren't quite thick enough.
DPMartin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2015 8:24:45 PM

Is there some reason why, people on this site are supposed to be what you think they ought to be? This is a "debate" site correct? Warm and fuzzy sites I do believe are some where else on the internet.

What some think is debating with another can be any way they can to get their opponent off point. And playing their emotions can be a part of that. Football players say anything that their opponent might care about to get their opponent across the line of scrimmage to make a mistake, its no different then that.