Jump to topic:

Bryan Caplan

Reasoning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2010 8:08:48 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
"Now I am not one of those people who says that modern science has disproven religion. If I said that, it would imply that two thousand years ago, there was not solid evidence against the claims that Jesus was born of a virgin and rose from the dead. But the counter-evidence has always been overwhelming.

Everyone else is born of a non-virgin and stays dead. It is absurd to recognize an exception without overwhelming evidence, but all we have is the testimony of a few of his disciples. And yet not only do Christians believe these things; they often claim to know them with certainty, and get angry if you disagree. Christianity has always been irrational, and of course the same goes for Judaism, Islam, Greek mythology, Satanism, and belief in Santa Claus." - Bryan Caplan[1]

1 http://econfaculty.gmu.edu...
"What we really ought to ask the liberal, before we even begin addressing his agenda, is this: In what kind of society would he be a conservative?" - Joseph Sobran
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2010 8:12:15 PM
At 10/9/2010 8:08:48 PM, Reasoning wrote:
"Now I am not one of those people who says that modern science has disproven religion. If I said that, it would imply that two thousand years ago, there was not solid evidence against the claims that Jesus was born of a virgin and rose from the dead. But the counter-evidence has always been overwhelming.

Everyone else is born of a non-virgin and stays dead. It is absurd to recognize an exception without overwhelming evidence, but all we have is the testimony of a few of his disciples. And yet not only do Christians believe these things; they often claim to know them with certainty, and get angry if you disagree. Christianity has always been irrational, and of course the same goes for Judaism, Islam, Greek mythology, Satanism, and belief in Santa Claus." - Bryan Caplan[1]

Do you every actually say anything for yourself? I've seen you do it very few times.

I was more then a few disciples.

And atheists don't get angry when we disagree?
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2010 8:29:05 PM

This seems like just a bad re-work of Hume's argument against miracles.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2010 4:01:41 AM
At 10/9/2010 8:29:05 PM, popculturepooka wrote:

This seems like just a bad re-work of Hume's argument against miracles.

Associate professor pffft.