Jump to topic:

Worshipping Something Other Than Ourselves

s-anthony
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2015 10:42:12 AM
Posted: 12 months ago
Worship means to have a condition of worth, or value. It's to honor or hold in high regard something we esteem as worthy. To worship something other than ourselves is the essence of religion. It's to give worth, and value, to a greater degree to something than we give worth, and value, to ourselves.

It's to realize there is something greater, something that transcends, or supersedes, and displaces us in favor. It's to realize we are not all there is. It's to learn humility and meekness of heart.

The goal of worship is not to esteem something other than our selves for the mere sake of esteeming it but to define our selves in contrast to that which is greater, to bring us to the realization we are incomplete, that a willingness to accept that which is beyond us is needed to create lives that are more fulfilling and rewarding. An individual who thinks he, or she, has arrived has shut oneself out from the greatness and awe-inspiring majesty of a potentially infinite world.
JJ50
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2015 11:24:55 AM
At 12/14/2015 10:42:12 AM, s-anthony wrote:
Worship means to have a condition of worth, or value. It's to honor or hold in high regard something we esteem as worthy. To worship something other than ourselves is the essence of religion. It's to give worth, and value, to a greater degree to something than we give worth, and value, to ourselves.

It's to realize there is something greater, something that transcends, or supersedes, and displaces us in favor. It's to realize we are not all there is. It's to learn humility and meekness of heart.

The goal of worship is not to esteem something other than our selves for the mere sake of esteeming it but to define our selves in contrast to that which is greater, to bring us to the realization we are incomplete, that a willingness to accept that which is beyond us is needed to create lives that are more fulfilling and rewarding. An individual who thinks he, or she, has arrived has shut oneself out from the greatness and awe-inspiring majesty of a potentially infinite world.

I don't think anyone or anything is worthy of worship, and certainly not myself!
s-anthony
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2015 5:59:49 PM
I don't think anyone or anything is worthy of worship, and certainly not myself!

I think all things have value, including us.

However, I don't believe all values are equal; if they were, there would be no distinction in value, or significance.

We, ourselves, as evaluators, evaluate various stimuli. We separately determine that which holds significance to us. Some people esteem themselves more highly than others and some prefer others before themselves.

Yet, I believe this is done on a spectrum in which we move back and forth, never static, meaning I believe things fluctuate in value and values are relative.
DPMartin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2015 6:46:56 PM
At 12/14/2015 5:59:49 PM, s-anthony wrote:

I think all things have value, including us.

However, I don't believe all values are equal; if they were, there would be no distinction in value, or significance.

We, ourselves, as evaluators, evaluate various stimuli. We separately determine that which holds significance to us. Some people esteem themselves more highly than others and some prefer others before themselves.

Yet, I believe this is done on a spectrum in which we move back and forth, never static, meaning I believe things fluctuate in value and values are relative.

All things have significance, because God regards them to be, and continue to exist. But it is the Lord God that deserves. And nothing else has a claim to what the Lord God deserves.

That said, you speak of value, and what is it that the Lord God values? And that is what is valuable and to be valued. And that doesn"t change does it?
s-anthony
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2015 5:00:54 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
All things have significance, because God regards them to be, and continue to exist.

All things may have significance, but I don't believe all things are equally significant.

I don't believe God regards anything.

But it is the Lord God that deserves. And nothing else has a claim to what the Lord God deserves.

I don't believe God deserves anything.

To deserve something means you are lacking in something, something to your benefit. I don't believe God lacks anything and therefore benefits from anything.

That said, you speak of value, and what is it that the Lord God values? And that is what is valuable and to be valued. And that doesn"t change does it?

I don't believe God values anything.