Jump to topic:

Courage Is Found in Weakness

s-anthony
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2015 10:14:02 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
Courage so often is defined by great feats of strength, but it doesn't take much courage to demonstrate that which one does well.

Rather courage as defined is "(t)he ability to do things which one finds frightening," in other words, in that which one has little to no confidence. Those things in which we find little to no confidence are not those things which we define as our strengths but," rather, those things we define as our weaknesses. Courage comes from the capacity to demonstrate our weaknesses. It is the tenacity to confess to the world our imperfections. Courage is not found in confidence, and assurance, but in fear, and apprehension. Courage is the audacity to declare our weaknesses, our flaws, and our shortcomings. Courage is not found in being ostentatious but with great humility. Courage is not found in the heart of a fortress but alone and unguarded in the midst of the fray."
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2015 10:39:11 PM
At 12/15/2015 10:14:02 PM, s-anthony wrote:
Courage so often is defined by great feats of strength, but it doesn't take much courage to demonstrate that which one does well.

Anthony, as you know I generally disagree with the reflective generalisations you post, sometimes quite scathingly.

I feel as though I'd be letting you down not to tear at this one, but for the life of me I can't think of how to do so.

I hope you're not disappointed!

For what it says, I think you got it right.

However, something you didn't mention is that courage is learnable, and nourished by dignity and integrity -- which themselves need courage and each other to grow.

So courage, dignity and integrity make a virtuous circle. As we grow one, the others grow too, and if we fail one, the others eventually also. This is why it's important not to live in the fortress you mentioned, where dignity and integrity are always supplied by others.

Thank you for your post.
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2015 10:43:48 PM

Rather courage as defined is "(t)he ability to do things which one finds frightening," in other words, in that which one has little to no confidence. Those things in which we find little to no confidence are not those things which we define as our strengths but," rather, those things we define as our weaknesses. Courage comes from the capacity to demonstrate our weaknesses. It is the tenacity to confess to the world our imperfections. Courage is not found in confidence, and assurance, but in fear, and apprehension. Courage is the audacity to declare our weaknesses, our flaws, and our shortcomings. Courage is not found in being ostentatious but with great humility. Courage is not found in the heart of a fortress but alone and unguarded in the midst of the fray."

I agree. True courage is not the lack of fear. Courage is being afraid but deciding that what you need to do is worth the risk and going ahead despite fear. Courage is found in those moments of greatest fear and is forged in that flame.
Idealist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2015 11:34:02 PM

While I think you are right that defying our weakness is a sign of courage, I don't think that it's the only or prime way of displaying courage. I think courage is best described as pushing through the fear you feel in order to do something you are reluctant to do yet know it needs to be done. It can be in a context as violent and dangerous as war or as harmless and ordinary as getting on the dance floor, even if you are a good dancer, yet shy around others. I guess courage is making yourself do what you don't want to do when you don't want to do it because you believe it should be done.
ReformedPresbyterian72598
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2015 12:12:36 AM

I would shorten it by saying that courage is having no pride whatsoever. To set your whole self aside in a perfect way. Courage is found in the very thing you worship, whatever it may be. If it does not exhibit courage(perfection) then you have yet another question.
s-anthony
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2015 12:14:50 AM
Anthony, as you know I generally disagree with the reflective generalisations you post, sometimes quite scathingly.

I feel as though I'd be letting you down not to tear at this one, but for the life of me I can't think of how to do so.

I hope you're not disappointed!

For what it says, I think you got it right.

However, something you didn't mention is that courage is learnable, and nourished by dignity and integrity -- which themselves need courage and each other to grow.

I believe courage is not born from a spirit of acceptance but from that which is apprehensible. I do not believe courage comes from that which may appear as dignified but that which may appear as shameful.

The end result may be defined as dignity, but I don't believe we fear dignity but rather desire it. Therefore, it takes no courage to be dignified but, rather, to suffer shame.

However, in saying that, I do not believe anyone would do that which is fearful for the mere sake of shame but because his, or her, desire for that which one values is greater than that which he, or she, fears. Courage is had in the attempt regardless of the outcome. In other words, whether or not the braveheart succeeds or whether or not the courageous is glorified is immaterial. Valour is found in action in the midst of fear.

So courage, dignity and integrity make a virtuous circle. As we grow one, the others grow too, and if we fail one, the others eventually also. This is why it's important not to live in the fortress you mentioned, where dignity and integrity are always supplied by others.

I believe courage and integrity go hand in hand.

However, I do not believe dignity necessarily accompanies them. I believe many people have done courageous things in the face of adversity; many courageous people have gone against the tide of popular opinion. I believe infamy can follow courage just as well as fame.

Thank you for your post.

Thank you for even finding me agreeable.
s-anthony
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2015 12:15:47 AM
At 12/15/2015 10:43:48 PM, dhardage wrote:

I agree. True courage is not the lack of fear. Courage is being afraid but deciding that what you need to do is worth the risk and going ahead despite fear. Courage is found in those moments of greatest fear and is forged in that flame.

I completely agree.
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2015 12:34:43 AM
At 12/16/2015 12:14:50 AM, s-anthony wrote:
I believe courage is not born from a spirit of acceptance but from that which is apprehensible. I do not believe courage comes from that which may appear as dignified but that which may appear as shameful.
Oh, cool! I was wondering why, despite generally agreeing, I was vaguely uncomfortable with 'courage found in weakness'. I think it's because I believe it's found in adversity instead -- i.e. when the overwhelming makes one feel weak, whatever the objective truth.

Sadly, that's not enough to rail about, though it is a reprise of Anthony generalising the subjective into universal laws, which would disappoint me if you didn't do it, since that seems the principle point of these posts.

(Whew! For a minute there I was agreeing with you way too much! :D)

It's an interesting thread, Anthony, and a pleasant change from the dogmatic guff we so often see here.

Thanks again -- if only for the opportunity to disagree with you in a minor way, instead of a fundamentally and irreconcilably. :D
s-anthony
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2015 1:25:17 AM
While I think you are right that defying our weakness is a sign of courage, I don't think that it's the only or prime way of displaying courage. I think courage is best described as pushing through the fear you feel in order to do something you are reluctant to do yet know it needs to be done. It can be in a context as violent and dangerous as war or as harmless and ordinary as getting on the dance floor, even if you are a good dancer, yet shy around others. I guess courage is making yourself do what you don't want to do when you don't want to do it because you believe it should be done.

I agree, but I believe fear comes from feelings of being inadequate. Even in the example of being a good dancer, I believe the dancer has feelings of being inadequate or the dancer would not be fearful.
s-anthony
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2015 1:57:45 AM
I would shorten it by saying that courage is having no pride whatsoever. To set your whole self aside in a perfect way. Courage is found in the very thing you worship, whatever it may be. If it does not exhibit courage(perfection) then you have yet another question.

I don't believe courage means having no pride but admitting you have insecurities, also.

I don't believe courage is denouncing yourself, completely, but being who you are even in the face of opposition.

I don't believe courage is perfection; because, the one who is perfect needs no courage.

Courage is being yourself even if doing so is frightening.
Idealist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2015 5:24:06 AM
At 12/16/2015 1:25:17 AM, s-anthony wrote:

I agree, but I believe fear comes from feelings of being inadequate. Even in the example of being a good dancer, I believe the dancer has feelings of being inadequate or the dancer would not be fearful.

Maybe of being inadequate in some (possibly other) way, but not necessarily in the area of dancing? I'm a great shot with both pistol and rifle, but not when I'm around people I don't feel comfortable with. Sometimes the things which hold us back or cause us to fail are subconscious things which we aren't even consciously aware of. Anyone who has played sports (or even tells jokes) knows what it's like to be "in the groove," when the whole mind works together to make us virtually unstoppable. The reverse can also happen, causing us to get angry at ourselves for performing so poorly and not knowing why.
s-anthony
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2015 10:26:31 AM
At 12/16/2015 5:24:06 AM, Idealist wrote:
At 12/16/2015 1:25:17 AM, s-anthony wrote:

Maybe of being inadequate in some (possibly other) way, but not necessarily in the area of dancing? I'm a great shot with both pistol and rifle, but not when I'm around people I don't feel comfortable with. Sometimes the things which hold us back or cause us to fail are subconscious things which we aren't even consciously aware of. Anyone who has played sports (or even tells jokes) knows what it's like to be "in the groove," when the whole mind works together to make us virtually unstoppable. The reverse can also happen, causing us to get angry at ourselves for performing so poorly and not knowing why.

I agree.
s-anthony
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2015 10:36:04 AM
At 12/16/2015 12:34:43 AM, RuvDraba wrote:
At 12/16/2015 12:14:50 AM, s-anthony wrote:
Oh, cool! I was wondering why, despite generally agreeing, I was vaguely uncomfortable with 'courage found in weakness'. I think it's because I believe it's found in adversity instead -- i.e. when the overwhelming makes one feel weak, whatever the objective truth.

I agree.

Sadly, that's not enough to rail about, though it is a reprise of Anthony generalising the subjective into universal laws, which would disappoint me if you didn't do it, since that seems the principle point of these posts.

(Whew! For a minute there I was agreeing with you way too much! :D)

It's an interesting thread, Anthony, and a pleasant change from the dogmatic guff we so often see here.

Thanks again -- if only for the opportunity to disagree with you in a minor way, instead of a fundamentally and irreconcilably. :D

A little disagreement is better than none.
ReformedPresbyterian72598
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2015 12:30:15 AM
At 12/16/2015 1:57:45 AM, s-anthony wrote:

I don't believe courage means having no pride but admitting you have insecurities, also.

I don't believe courage is denouncing yourself, completely, but being who you are even in the face of opposition.

I don't believe courage is perfection; because, the one who is perfect needs no courage.

Courage is being yourself even if doing so is frightening.

So then you would define what courage is?