Total Posts:54|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Why is religion obsessed on belief in god?

beng100
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2015 1:40:20 AM
Posted: 12 months ago
The major religions of the world place great emphasis on the importance of believing in and worshipping God. This would be a logical position if it was completely obvious if one religion was clearly correct and the existence of a god or God's irresputable fact with clear concrete evidence. If a god demanded people know of his existence then clearly he would have provided much better evidence of his existence then the thousands of religions in the world claim proves their god is the correct one.

It is illogical why such an intelligent supreme being would place such emphasis on a human finding the right religion amongst a magnitude of options all claiming evidence from historic scriptures, myths and takes but none able to provide any physical evidence. If a god simply made a communication with today's modern world then his existence would be proven. Not communicating proves that there is no god interested in humans believing in or worshipping him.

It seems strange how belief in god Is of such importance to the theists argument. The fact that belief and worship is placed of an absolute requirement for an afterlife while sins such as murder and rape can be forgiven is clearly a completely flawed concept that shows how humans and their religions evolved over time to supposedly give hope to even the worst individuals. If any credible religion could exist it would place emphasis on good ethics, morals and conduct but any claims about a need to worship a god are simply an example of misguided, unnecessary and illogical scaremongering.
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2015 1:48:56 AM
Posted: 12 months ago
In order to use the reward of heaven and fear of hell to control behavior you need people to first believe in the existence of a God who will punish and reward with such things.
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
beng100
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2015 11:59:56 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/16/2015 1:48:56 AM, Illegalcombatant wrote:
In order to use the reward of heaven and fear of hell to control behavior you need people to first believe in the existence of a God who will punish and reward with such things.

Good answer. Yes it just shows religion evolved as an effective way to control the population.
GrittyWorm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2015 12:39:54 AM
At 12/16/2015 1:40:20 AM, beng100 wrote:
The major religions of the world place great emphasis on the importance of believing in and worshipping God. This would be a logical position if it was completely obvious if one religion was clearly correct and the existence of a god or God's irresputable fact with clear concrete evidence. If a god demanded people know of his existence then clearly he would have provided much better evidence of his existence then the thousands of religions in the world claim proves their god is the correct one.

It is illogical why such an intelligent supreme being would place such emphasis on a human finding the right religion amongst a magnitude of options all claiming evidence from historic scriptures, myths and takes but none able to provide any physical evidence. If a god simply made a communication with today's modern world then his existence would be proven. Not communicating proves that there is no god interested in humans believing in or worshipping him.

It seems strange how belief in god Is of such importance to the theists argument. The fact that belief and worship is placed of an absolute requirement for an afterlife while sins such as murder and rape can be forgiven is clearly a completely flawed concept that shows how humans and their religions evolved over time to supposedly give hope to even the worst individuals. If any credible religion could exist it would place emphasis on good ethics, morals and conduct but any claims about a need to worship a god are simply an example of misguided, unnecessary and illogical scaremongering.

You are obsessed with God. That's why you are making threads on the religious forum
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2015 1:32:04 AM
It seems strange how belief in god Is of such importance to the theists argument.

Not really. Cowing people into unquestioning submission to a single, absolute dictator is a proven way to control people.
GrittyWorm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2015 1:47:37 AM
At 12/17/2015 1:32:04 AM, RuvDraba wrote:
It seems strange how belief in god Is of such importance to the theists argument.

Not really. Cowing people into unquestioning submission to a single, absolute dictator is a proven way to control people.

Which part of the Sermon on the Mount do you disagree with? Love your neighbor. Yeah, that teaching sucks. How dare God scare us into loving one another!
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2015 2:05:40 AM
At 12/17/2015 1:47:37 AM, GrittyWorm wrote:

Which part of the Sermon on the Mount do you disagree with? Love your neighbor. Yeah, that teaching sucks. How dare God scare us into loving one another!

Gritty, I know it's your habit to deflect criticism of Christian traditions by misrepresenting them as simply following uncontentious humanistic teachings. So acknowledging that your question is a deliberate misrepresentation, I nevertheless disagree with almost the whole of the sermon on the mount in its modern, literal interpretation.

And if you'd like to find out why, that'd be the topic for another thread.
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2015 5:50:06 PM
The major religions of the world place great emphasis on the importance of believing in and worshipping God. This would be a logical position if it was completely obvious if one religion was clearly correct and the existence of a god or God's irresputable fact with clear concrete evidence.

It would also be very likely if this is what God said.

If a god demanded people know of his existence then clearly he would have provided much better evidence of his existence then the thousands of religions in the world claim proves their god is the correct one.

He did. He came and lived as one of us, taught us and paid for our debt to him. The fact that there are many religions out there has nothing to do with whether one is true or not.

It is illogical why such an intelligent supreme being would place such emphasis on a human finding the right religion amongst a magnitude of options all claiming evidence from historic scriptures, myths and takes but none able to provide any physical evidence.

God has left enough that if you want to find Him you will. If you do not want to find Him, He won't make you.

If a god simply made a communication with today's modern world then his existence would be proven. Not communicating proves that there is no god interested in humans believing in or worshipping him.

No it means that you want God to act in the manner that you want rather than to acknowledge that he acts how he wants.

Belief in God seems to me to be kinda central to theism...

The fact that belief and worship is placed of an absolute requirement for an afterlife while sins such as murder and rape can be forgiven is clearly a completely flawed concept that shows how humans and their religions evolved over time to supposedly give hope to even the worst individuals.

Once again you just don't like God. You want God to be in your image instead of allowing yourself to be remade in his. God is love and love requires a relationship. That loving bond can be broken and it can also be fixed.

If any credible religion could exist it would place emphasis on good ethics, morals and conduct but any claims about a need to worship a god are simply an example of misguided, unnecessary and illogical scaremongering.

You are putting the cart before the horse. Good ethics, morals and conduct are secondary. God created you for out of love to love Him. Out of your love for Him you love that which He loves - other people. However, to conduct yourself well towards others without the love for God is really no love at all, because you have intentionally separated yourself from the source of love. As such you end up with a self serving love.
DPMartin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2015 7:03:24 PM

Well a system of belief is a religion, but most who have a system of belief and it doesn"t include the acknowledgment of a god or gods, insist that what they believe isn"t religion because they don"t believe or at least deny there is a god. So talk to those who don"t believe there is a god and insist what they believe isn"t a religion, or system of belief.

For example, evolution is a part of most none religious people"s copy and paste system of belief, like shopping in walmart or something, but they will honor and follow it"s teachings, and some passionately like religious people do when they think they are defending their faith. Most deniers of having a religion it seems, from what they post in sites like this one, is their true faith is in their own judgement of what is good for themselves. Which is not classified as a religion, it"s that one would trust that God"s Judgement is good and good for all that He made, that would classify as a religion.

It"s true that many have taken advantage of the beliefs of the masses, but that happens no matter what the masses agree is true or to be trusted. It doesn"t require religion, just what ever the masses believe. Mankind is feeble in it"s beliefs even and especially when they think they can judge for themselves, that"s how individuals and the masses are deceived.

example: Muslims teach they are allah"s instrument of death. But other religions believe such judgements are in God"s hands to execute.
And some see such a thing God would leave in the hands of men though men don"t know it. As in end of world via nuk's or something, letting men go by thier own judgement. The Adam and Eve scenario, go by God"s Judgement of what is good and live, but they went by their own judgement of what was good and died.
EtrnlVw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2015 7:33:11 PM

"Thousands of religions" are irrelevant to a single Creator, people argue and are opinionated and besides that what is wrong with variety? there are a variety of people and cultures, obviously there will exist varieties. Saying God did it is kind of silly, it is a people problem not a God problem but who is to say they don't express truth? I see flickers of truth in other religious beliefs, I just think the Bible has information that other books do not have and I believe Christianity is unique in what it offers.

Belief has value because what one believes he holds dear to his core being, when one believes in something he fights for it, cherishes it, pursues and protects it, that is why God wants your attention (belief), because your belief equals what you cherish.

When and where did God do the underlined? The only thing God wants is YOU, not your religion or personal preferences, religion is meant to connect you to spirituality, that is the real goal.
"Not communicating" is misleading, atheists don't want to hear about spirituality, go to my topic "How does God communicate?" because I go over that bit.

Belief is not the tickett my friend, it's "abiding" that is the importance, demons "believe" and it makes no difference. Read John ch 15 if you get bored.
Once you atheists understand what spirituality is and means it will be much easier for yal to understand what is going on.
Christianity DOES put emphasis on good ethics, morals and conduct! where have you been lol?
Worship simply means to reverence, honor and praise, all these things are good qualities not bad ones. These elements are meant to guide us into the light of God, by having an attitude of reverence and gratefulness it sets the stage for your revelations.
Pollux
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2015 7:38:34 PM
What is "spirituality" and how will I know when I have it?

What will I be able to do with spirituality that I can't do without it? Thanks.
EtrnlVw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2015 7:52:26 PM
At 12/17/2015 7:38:34 PM, Pollux wrote:

Sorry but I don't get your notifications unless you reply to my post, so for future reference pleas do so.

Spirituality is the unification process with God that brings you back to the position you need to be in, through application and cultivation.

WIKI Spirituality-
"the traditional meaning of spirituality is a process of re-formation which "aims to recover the original shape of man, the image of God. To accomplish this, the re-formation is oriented at a mold, which represents the original shape:"

Well being an atheist and believing atheist propaganda will land you nowhere for starters. Developing spirituality will bring into your life the reality of the spirit and will awaken within you possibilities you never thought possible. Spirituality brings a whole nother level of knowledge and understanding, if you like to learn you will love spirituality, the dimensions are much greater.
You can reach God in spirituality, and you cannot without it, that is the biggest advantage.
Pollux
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2015 8:11:24 PM
Didn't answer my question. Care to try again?

EtrnlVw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2015 8:14:04 PM
At 12/17/2015 8:11:24 PM, Pollux wrote:

Yes, read that again, are you illiterate? Answers below....

Spirituality is the unification process with God that brings you back to the position you need to be in, through application and cultivation.

WIKI Spirituality-
"the traditional meaning of spirituality is a process of re-formation which "aims to recover the original shape of man, the image of God. To accomplish this, the re-formation is oriented at a mold, which represents the original shape:"

Well being an atheist and believing atheist propaganda will land you nowhere for starters. Developing spirituality will bring into your life the reality of the spirit and will awaken within you possibilities you never thought possible. Spirituality brings a whole nother level of knowledge and understanding, if you like to learn you will love spirituality, the dimensions are much greater.
You can reach God in spirituality, and you cannot without it, that is the biggest advantage.
EtrnlVw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2015 8:20:29 PM
How many years will it take for me just to realize atheists are completely void of everything. Don't know what answers are, don't have any comprehension, they are bitter, apparently unable to understand simple things, they argue in circles, they ignore rational responses, they cannot accept anything other than a materialist perspective I mean the list just goes on and on...... even when you answer them they want answers lol, what a waste of time.
graceofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2015 8:43:11 PM

the religion of evolution does not require belief in god, just man...
Pollux
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2015 9:09:30 PM
At 12/17/2015 8:11:24 PM, Pollux wrote:

Still don't answer my question.
beng100
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2015 9:53:16 PM
At 12/17/2015 12:39:54 AM, GrittyWorm wrote:

You are obsessed with God. That's why you are making threads on the religious forum

Thats incorrect. Im interested in intelectual debate in general but I haven't made a thread on the religion forum for a month. I'm not obsessed with religious debate. It's a strange conclusion to come to.
beng100
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2015 10:08:48 PM
At 12/17/2015 5:50:06 PM, Geogeer wrote:
The major religions of the world place great emphasis on the importance of believing in and worshipping God. This would be a logical position if it was completely obvious if one religion was clearly correct and the existence of a god or God's irresputable fact with clear concrete evidence.

It would also be very likely if this is what God said.

If a god demanded people know of his existence then clearly he would have provided much better evidence of his existence then the thousands of religions in the world claim proves their god is the correct one.

He did. He came and lived as one of us, taught us and paid for our debt to him. The fact that there are many religions out there has nothing to do with whether one is true or not.

It is illogical why such an intelligent supreme being would place such emphasis on a human finding the right religion amongst a magnitude of options all claiming evidence from historic scriptures, myths and takes but none able to provide any physical evidence.

God has left enough that if you want to find Him you will. If you do not want to find Him, He won't make you.

If a god simply made a communication with today's modern world then his existence would be proven. Not communicating proves that there is no god interested in humans believing in or worshipping him.

No it means that you want God to act in the manner that you want rather than to acknowledge that he acts how he wants.

Belief in God seems to me to be kinda central to theism...

The fact that belief and worship is placed of an absolute requirement for an afterlife while sins such as murder and rape can be forgiven is clearly a completely flawed concept that shows how humans and their religions evolved over time to supposedly give hope to even the worst individuals.

Once again you just don't like God. You want God to be in your image instead of allowing yourself to be remade in his. God is love and love requires a relationship. That loving bond can be broken and it can also be fixed.

If any credible religion could exist it would place emphasis on good ethics, morals and conduct but any claims about a need to worship a god are simply an example of misguided, unnecessary and illogical scaremongering.

You are putting the cart before the horse. Good ethics, morals and conduct are secondary. God created you for out of love to love Him. Out of your love for Him you love that which He loves - other people. However, to conduct yourself well towards others without the love for God is really no love at all, because you have intentionally separated yourself from the source of love. As such you end up with a self serving love.

Let's be sensible here. I'm sure even you can see that any alleged gods have not made any attempt in recent times to communicate with the citizens of earth. You accuse me of disliking God and claim evidence clearly shows the existence of a particular god when it clearly does not. I could take Pascals wager and gamble on the existence of a god but quite simply no particular religion has greater evidence then any other. I doubt you have studied Islam, Hinduism, Sikhism or Buddhism but I'm sure if you were bought up in a family and country where they were the prominent religion you would follow them. You would find a way to claim compelling evidence existed from the scriptures and myths created by those religions. It is clear humans generally follow the religious beliefs of their family, culture and community with education in school also a factor.

The truth is no evidence exists suggesting a god demands worship. You can claim it is me not accepting the fact God does not want to make evidence clear and wants to trick, confuse and mislead humans with a series of alternative realities while making the truth appear as simply another possibility. However this defies logic and I do not accept a loving creator demanding worship would impose these conditions.
beng100
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2015 10:18:20 PM
At 12/17/2015 8:20:29 PM, EtrnlVw wrote:
How many years will it take for me just to realize atheists are completely void of everything. Don't know what answers are, don't have any comprehension, they are bitter, apparently unable to understand simple things, they argue in circles, they ignore rational responses, they cannot accept anything other than a materialist perspective I mean the list just goes on and on...... even when you answer them they want answers lol, what a waste of time.

I'm not bitter I enjoy intellectual discussions. I'm sure you do too since your on this website? If everyone agreed with you it would be boring? It's interesting to meet people witb different views. I could argue Christians argue in circles, ignore rational responses and refuse to accept scientific evidence.
beng100
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2015 10:22:31 PM
At 12/17/2015 8:43:11 PM, graceofgod wrote:

I don't pray or worship evolution. I just accept it as a simple fact in a similar manner to accepting the earth is round, the earth orbits the sun, the earth is not the centre of the universe and the earth is millions of years old. Things creationism and theism either dispute or previously disputed throughout history.
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2015 10:43:09 PM
At 12/17/2015 2:05:40 AM, RuvDraba wrote:

Gritty, I know it's your habit to deflect criticism of Christian traditions by misrepresenting them as simply following uncontentious humanistic teachings. So acknowledging that your question is a deliberate misrepresentation, I nevertheless disagree with almost the whole of the sermon on the mount in its modern, literal interpretation.

I am interested in finding out why you disagree with the sermon on the mount and what you believe to be its modern literal interpretation as opposed to any different interpretation.
I look forward to seeing you start a thread on the topic.
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2015 10:47:03 PM
At 12/17/2015 10:43:09 PM, Skyangel wrote:

I am interested in finding out why you disagree with the sermon on the mount and what you believe to be its modern literal interpretation as opposed to any different interpretation.

I have no interest in promoting my beliefs for their own sake, Sky. If I voice a view at all, it's generally either to promote critical thought or some notion of ethics, compassion, human insight, or social justice.

However if you want to solicit opinions about the sermon on the mount, you're welcome to start a thread on that. If I like the way the question is framed, I'll be happy to respond.
EtrnlVw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2015 11:05:13 PM
At 12/17/2015 10:22:31 PM, beng100 wrote:
At 12/17/2015 8:43:11 PM, graceofgod wrote:

I don't pray or worship evolution. I just accept it as a simple fact in a similar manner to accepting the earth is round, the earth orbits the sun, the earth is not the centre of the universe and the earth is millions of years old. Things creationism and theism either dispute or previously disputed throughout history.

I'm glad you don't pray or worship evolution lol, that would be weird.

That sounds like a lot of srawmen, got anything relevant?
EtrnlVw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2015 11:11:34 PM
At 12/17/2015 10:18:20 PM, beng100 wrote:
At 12/17/2015 8:20:29 PM, EtrnlVw wrote:

I'm not bitter I enjoy intellectual discussions. I'm sure you do too since your on this website? If everyone agreed with you it would be boring? It's interesting to meet people witb different views. I could argue Christians argue in circles, ignore rational responses and refuse to accept scientific evidence.

Really? scientific evidence is not at odds with creation, sorry to burst your bubble but it only explains the hows, not the why's... Science has no say in the existence of God...
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2015 11:12:04 PM
At 12/17/2015 10:47:03 PM, RuvDraba wrote:
At 12/17/2015 10:43:09 PM, Skyangel wrote:

I have no interest in promoting my beliefs for their own sake, Sky. If I voice a view at all, it's generally either to promote critical thought or some notion of ethics, compassion, human insight, or social justice.

However if you want to solicit opinions about the sermon on the mount, you're welcome to start a thread on that. If I like the way the question is framed, I'll be happy to respond.

Sky, as an afterthought, if you want to start a thread to ask me questions directly, that's fine too. I'm happy to defend things I say here.
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2015 11:14:40 PM

Spirituality is an emotional state of sublimity and/or extreme humility regarding the unknown.

Nothing.
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
EtrnlVw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2015 11:18:08 PM
At 12/17/2015 11:14:40 PM, Skepticalone wrote:

Spirituality is an emotional state of sublimity and/or extreme humility regarding the unknown.

No, spirituality is not a product of the mind (emotional state), the opposite actually.

Nothing.

Wrong, I explained above... Spirituality offers plenty...
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2015 11:31:50 PM
At 12/17/2015 11:18:08 PM, EtrnlVw wrote:

No, spirituality is not a product of the mind (emotional state), the opposite actually.

If spirituality is not tangible or part of the mind, then how does one "develop" it? I'll stick with my definition until you can provide a concise (and coherent) alternative.

Nothing.

This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
EtrnlVw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2015 11:35:22 PM
At 12/17/2015 11:31:50 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 12/17/2015 11:18:08 PM, EtrnlVw wrote:

If spirituality is not tangible or part of the mind, then how does one "develop" it? I'll stick with my definition until you can provide a concise (and coherent) alternative.

It is not a product of the mind (imagination),but it is tangible (not being a figment of the mind), I provided the definition, go and read for yourself.

Nothing.