Jump to topic:

Atheists do not want to believe.

GrittyWorm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2015 7:17:59 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
They don't want to believe so as to not feel accountable. They also then try to justify things by saying,"Hey I'm a good person." It's all a denial choice to protect themselves mentally from the things that bothrer them otherwise. Isn't that right Cloreese?
Pollux
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2015 7:23:19 PM
At 12/17/2015 7:17:59 PM, GrittyWorm wrote:
They don't want to believe so as to not feel accountable. They also then try to justify things by saying,"Hey I'm a good person." It's all a denial choice to protect themselves mentally from the things that bothrer them otherwise. Isn't that right Cloreese?

I would claim that atheists want to believe Christianity or Islam as much as a Christian wants to believe Islam or Scientology.
Chaosism
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2015 7:41:42 PM

I feel I am entirely accountable for my actions or inactions. I'd rather face those things that bother me, head on.

I actually feel that Christianity is a more of a means of escaping accountability, since as long as you believe and follow the word of God, one can commit acts that one would normally find atrocious, otherwise. Rationalization is powerful.
Chaosism
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2015 7:42:40 PM
At 12/17/2015 7:41:42 PM, Chaosism wrote:

I feel I am entirely accountable for my actions or inactions. I'd rather face those things that bother me, head on.

I actually feel that Christianity is a more of a means of escaping accountability, since as long as you believe and follow the word of God, one can commit acts that one would normally find atrocious, otherwise. Rationalization is powerful.

My last comment applies to religion on the whole, not just Christianity, to clarify.
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2015 8:21:19 PM

I'm accountable to myself, to the legal system we live under, and to anyone I harm by my actions. I'm a heck of a lot more accountable than someone who constantly says "Oh, I gave in to the Devil!" or some such rot. I don't need to confess my sins to some invisible sky deity, but to those I actually harm.

I'll let you in on a secret. It's not a matter of whether or not I want to believe, it's a matter of what evidence supports the assertion. No evidence, no belief. Atheism is a conclusion, not a desire.
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2015 8:46:28 PM
They don't want to believe so as to not feel accountable. They also then try to justify things by saying,"Hey I'm a good person." It's all a denial choice to protect themselves mentally from the things that bothrer them otherwise.

Accountability to our fellow man is a good reason to not credit theology as anything but religious fanfiction.

Regarding wanting to avoid accountability to fictional characters -- yes, I also want that. Don't you?