Jump to topic:

Was there an event that pushed u to Atheism

GrittyWorm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2015 7:26:36 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
Christopher Hitchens told about his mother and brother committing suicide. So it made me ponder with Atheism, do many Atheists have a specific event that turned them againstthe idea of God or caused them to get angry at God, then lose faith all together?
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2015 9:57:36 PM
At 12/19/2015 7:26:36 PM, GrittyWorm wrote:
Christopher Hitchens told about his mother and brother committing suicide. So it made me ponder with Atheism, do many Atheists have a specific event that turned them againstthe idea of God or caused them to get angry at God, then lose faith all together?

No. Atheism, for me, was never a desired end (or a rebellion). It was the end result of a journey that started with legitimate criticism, examination, and the resulting realization of flaws and lack of justification for belief in the Christian god. Once that happened, I saw no point in worshiping other alleged gods since they fell to the same issues.
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
IntellectVsSpirit5000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2015 10:39:44 PM
At 12/19/2015 9:57:36 PM, Skepticalone wrote:

No. Atheism, for me, was never a desired end (or a rebellion). It was the end result of a journey that started with legitimate criticism, examination, and the resulting realization of flaws and lack of justification for belief in the Christian god. Once that happened, I saw no point in worshiping other alleged gods since they fell to the same issues.

How did the big bang come to be or does it not fall under the same scrutiny?
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2015 10:42:27 PM
At 12/19/2015 10:39:44 PM, IntellectVsSpirit5000 wrote:

I don't recall making any comments about the BBT.
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

IntellectVsSpirit5000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2015 10:45:41 PM
At 12/19/2015 10:42:27 PM, Skepticalone wrote:

But you did make a comment concerning the scrutiny that you put Christianity under. So I asked if you put Atheism, the Big Bang, Evolution, Abiogenesis, etc. to the same process or did they get a pass?
IntellectVsSpirit5000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2015 10:46:58 PM
In recent years, some scientists have been comparing another feature that all living things share. Today, scientists are able to look for similarities and differences among the biological chemicals " like hemoglobin. What they are finding does not agree with the evolutionary tree in their textbooks, according to Dr. Colin Patterson of the British Museum of Natural History.

Among the examples Dr. Patterson offered to American evolutionary scientists was a comparison of alpha myoglobin among mammals, birds and reptiles. According to evolution, comparisons between mammals, reptiles and birds should show mammals and birds to be most distantly related. Reptiles should have more similarities to each. However, when humans were compared with crocodiles and birds, birds were closer to humans than were crocodiles " the opposite of what evolution predicts. Dr. Patterson asked, "What's going on?"

While Dr. Patterson did not become a creationist before his death in 1998, he was definitely dissatisfied with evolution.
IntellectVsSpirit5000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2015 10:51:37 PM
Ambiguity has plagued the expression "Big Bang" since its origin. When British astronomer Fred Hoyle coined it during a radio interview in 1948, he meant it as the ultimate put down. Hoyle refused to believe that the universe had a beginning, a first moment of time and a genesis of all matter and energy. Rather, he thought that the cosmos maintained itself in a "steady state" through a slow trickle of particles into reality. He hypothesized a "creation field" that would gradually generate new matter to fill the gaps between galaxies moving away from each other, keeping the overall density of the universe the same.

Hoyle had a point: Science rightly eschews processes without clear mechanisms, and at the time, no one could explain how the whole cosmos could emerge instantly out of nothing. Nevertheless, his alternative steady state approach could not match up with mounting evidence that the observable universe was once extremely hot and dense. In 1964, Bell Laboratory researchers Arno Penzias and Robert Wilson found the smoking gun: cooled-down radiation from the early universe, known as the cosmic microwave background (CMB), which convinced almost everyone in the scientific community that the universe started with a bang.
IntellectVsSpirit5000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2015 10:53:16 PM
The late Carl Sagan once said that if only one planet has life on it, that could be a miracle; but if there is life on two, it proves life to be a natural evolutionary process, and "atheists can sleep soundly." Sagan and others advance this philosophical materialist point of view --even though it is not a valid conclusion to say that abiogenesis is clearly demonstrated by the mere presence of life somewhere in space (on earth or elsewhere). --That is bad science, because just the presence of life somewhere does not demonstrate that it got there by abiogenesis, just because someone philosophically or emotionally wants it to have occurred.
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2015 11:00:11 PM
At 12/19/2015 10:45:41 PM, IntellectVsSpirit5000 wrote:
At 12/19/2015 10:42:27 PM, Skepticalone wrote:

But you did make a comment concerning the scrutiny that you put Christianity under. So I asked if you put Atheism, the Big Bang, Evolution, Abiogenesis, etc. to the same process or did they get a pass?

If you wish to object to the scrutiny I put to my faith, then that is applicable to this thread. I would be happy to give you my opinions on scientific theories in another thread, but you can know they are held to the same standards.

IntellectVsSpirit5000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2015 11:01:13 PM
The late Carl Sagan once said that if only one planet has life on it, that could be a miracle; but if there is life on two, it proves life to be a natural evolutionary process, and "atheists can sleep soundly." Sagan and others advance this philosophical materialist point of view --even though it is not a valid conclusion to say that abiogenesis is clearly demonstrated by the mere presence of life somewhere in space (on earth or elsewhere). --That is bad science, because just the presence of life somewhere does not demonstrate that it got there by abiogenesis, just because someone philosophically or emotionally wants it to have occurred.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2015 1:02:38 AM
At 12/19/2015 11:01:13 PM, IntellectVsSpirit5000 wrote:
It's simply de rigueur for godbotherers to lie in order that they support the nonsense they are to afraid to examine.
Well done you.
Midnight1131
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2015 1:51:48 AM

Nope. I do remember once when I was 6-7 years old I realized how ridiculous some of the stories [that came out of their religion] my parents were telling me sounded.
#GaryJohnson2016
#TaxationisTheft
#TheftisTaxation
j50wells
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2015 3:54:04 AM
Atheists are not mad at God, at all. And so what if they were. I can think of a lot of Cannanites,whose daughters were raped at the command of Yahweh and Moses, who are still angry at your God, as you would be too, if your Yahweh decided to bring a wave of smelly tribal people into the land to murder you, your wife, your son, but keep your virgin daughters to themselves. You'd never stop hating that God.
But that's not what pushed me away from God. It was geology. If you ever studied geology you too would be free of your brainwashing. You'd find that the earth is 4.5 billion years old, without a doubt. It would be presented to you in such a way that your Christianity would be dissolved away, like a black mist. You'd wake up and run down the street, leaping in joy, knowing that you were finally free from the manipulation of made-up sins, and the grotesque blood of a man on a cross.
Your life would change and you'd find that you weren't raping or killing, even without your God. You'd find that you were a deep, and wonderful human being. Life would change as you would now find that you had the freedom to make up your own mind about things, without feeling this nagging guilt or persuasion to act a certain way, or say certain things, or read certain things, or pray certain prayers, or go to three church services a week to be happy and free. Then you would know that you truly were free.