Total Posts:21|Showing Posts:1-21
Jump to topic:

If you could rid the world of faith, would u?

DanMGTOW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2015 7:35:13 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/19/2015 7:33:25 PM, GrittyWorm wrote:
Christopher Hitchens

http://youtu.be...

YES, i would get rid of faith
faith is the excuse people use, when they don't have a good reason or evidence to back up their beliefs
GrittyWorm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2015 7:46:07 PM
At 12/19/2015 7:35:13 PM, DanMGTOW wrote:
Christopher Hitchens

faith is the excuse people use, when they don't have a good reason or evidence to back up their beliefs

What is your opinion on people who truely use faith honorably to be better people than they startefd as or use it as positive inspiration?
IntellectVsSpirit5000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2015 9:10:40 PM
I watched the video. It looks to me like he knows within himself that there are a lot of good Christian people out there, and he knows their beliefs are being used for good and meant for good. It showed me a sign of being honest and raw. He had some sense of empathy for why the Christian believes what they believe, why they choose it, and how a person might be bettered by it, given hope, and given strength.
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2015 9:36:14 PM
At 12/19/2015 9:10:40 PM, IntellectVsSpirit5000 wrote:
I watched the video. It looks to me like he knows within himself that there are a lot of good Christian people out there, and he knows their beliefs are being used for good and meant for good. It showed me a sign of being honest and raw. He had some sense of empathy for why the Christian believes what they believe, why they choose it, and how a person might be bettered by it, given hope, and given strength.

You're not reading anything he is communicating. For instance, why would you limit theism to Christianity? I believe he was more concerned with the thought of wiping out a part of our culture rather than attributing a net good to theism. He is (was) a well known anti-theist.
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
IntellectVsSpirit5000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2015 9:43:01 PM
At 12/19/2015 9:36:14 PM, Skepticalone wrote:

You're not reading anything he is communicating. For instance, why would you limit theism to Christianity? I believe he was more concerned with the thought of wiping out a part of our culture rather than attributing a net good to theism. He is (was) a well known anti-theist.

but it is not other faiths he tends to deal with. it's the same as when I ask Atheists why they attack Christianity and tend to ignore Islam. They typically say it is because they are more familiar with Christianity because it is what they are surrounded by, know, and deal with day to day. It is the same here. He dealt with Christians. His creationism rebutles were directed at Christianity. Not Buhdism, Hinduism, or Islam. It is the same here in this video.

In another video he was asked, "are you insulted when people say they are praying for you?" He said that he was not. In the other video it is Christians who are saying they are "praying for him". He understood that they were not trying to hurt him, but truely believed they were delivering or attempting to deliver him comfort, support, and something good.
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2015 10:13:54 PM
At 12/19/2015 9:43:01 PM, IntellectVsSpirit5000 wrote:

but it is not other faiths he tends to deal with. it's the same as when I ask Atheists why they attack Christianity and tend to ignore Islam. They typically say it is because they are more familiar with Christianity because it is what they are surrounded by, know, and deal with day to day. It is the same here. He dealt with Christians. His creationism rebutles were directed at Christianity. Not Buhdism, Hinduism, or Islam. It is the same here in this video.

In another video he was asked, "are you insulted when people say they are praying for you?" He said that he was not. In the other video it is Christians who are saying they are "praying for him". He understood that they were not trying to hurt him, but truely believed they were delivering or attempting to deliver him comfort, support, and something good.

http://lmgtfy.com...

Also, here is Christopher Hitchens on the issue he has with theism. I feel he would consider prayer to be a 'symptom' of theism, but not one directly harmful to others.

https://www.youtube.com...
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

IntellectVsSpirit5000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2015 10:23:20 PM
At 12/19/2015 10:13:54 PM, Skepticalone wrote:

Also, here is Christopher Hitchens on the issue he has with theism. I feel he would consider prayer to be a 'symptom' of theism, but not one directly harmful to others.

That's fine. The point is still made that he could not find it within himself to eradicate theism, because he knows that it has good purposes for many.
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2015 10:25:46 PM
At 12/19/2015 10:23:20 PM, IntellectVsSpirit5000 wrote:

That's fine. The point is still made that he could not find it within himself to eradicate theism, because he knows that it has good purposes for many.

Christopher Hitchen's collective works refutes that point.

IntellectVsSpirit5000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2015 10:31:47 PM
At 12/19/2015 10:25:46 PM, Skepticalone wrote:

I didn't mention his life work. I mentioned this one video where he has a moment where he realizes that he could not get rid of theism even if he had the power to.
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2015 10:36:19 PM
Christopher Hitchens

If faith causes more harm than good, then that perhaps it should be eradicated. Currently, I'm not sure faith is more harmful than good, and I'm not sure how to go about quantifying that. Additionally, I'm not sure if faith could be removed from the world without be just as harmful, if not more so, than what religion is accused of causing. So, for the time being, I must say "no".

Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2015 10:39:04 PM
At 12/19/2015 10:31:47 PM, IntellectVsSpirit5000 wrote:

I didn't mention his life work. I mentioned this one video where he has a moment where he realizes that he could not get rid of theism even if he had the power to.

His works provide context.

IntellectVsSpirit5000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2015 10:41:51 PM
At 12/19/2015 10:39:04 PM, Skepticalone wrote:

So do the words of Jesus which get misplaced by Atheists from not considering context. But in this case he gives a specific question to a specific thought. No context is even needed to understand that he says, and specifically, that he could not get rid of theists even if he had the power to do so. What exactly would the "context" be?
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2015 11:02:03 PM
At 12/19/2015 10:41:51 PM, IntellectVsSpirit5000 wrote:

So do the words of Jesus which get misplaced by Atheists from not considering context. But in this case he gives a specific question to a specific thought. No context is even needed to understand that he says, and specifically, that he could not get rid of theists even if he had the power to do so. What exactly would the "context" be?

The context would be that he felt religion was a poison. Your assertion that Hitchens felt theism provides some sort of net good is refuted. He consistently and eloquently spoke against religion.

IntellectVsSpirit5000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2015 11:04:51 PM
At 12/19/2015 11:02:03 PM, Skepticalone wrote:

The context would be that he felt religion was a poison. Your assertion that Hitchens felt theism provides some sort of net good is refuted. He consistently and eloquently spoke against religion.

He did constantly speak against religion. And in his final days, his abrasiveness in this area changed. His demeanor changed. He was prayed for by many people on his behalf. It is obvious he respected the support despite not believing himself.
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2015 11:22:03 PM
At 12/19/2015 11:04:51 PM, IntellectVsSpirit5000 wrote:
At 12/19/2015 11:02:03 PM, Skepticalone wrote:

[...] It is obvious he respected the support despite not believing himself.

We can agree on this. I don't think you will find Hitchens being disrespectful to well-wishers at any point in his life.

DanMGTOW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2015 8:00:35 AM
At 12/19/2015 7:46:07 PM, GrittyWorm wrote:
Christopher Hitchens

What is your opinion on people who truely use faith honorably to be better people than they startefd as or use it as positive inspiration?

the bible says with enough faith you can move a mountain
i've never seen that, but i have seen faith destroy the twin towers
gods don't kill people, people with gods kill people.
if you need a god to bribe you with eternal paradise or threaten to punish you with an eternal torment, then you aren't a better person.
lotsoffun
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2015 6:56:57 PM
Christopher Hitchens

It's not faith that is the problem. It is religion. Too many people think of faith as exclusive to some organised religion. Millions have left religions but kept their faith in a higher power while realising that they are responsible for what happens to them in this free will universe. Jesus isn't coming to save you just because you uttered some words that you think will save you from eternal damnation (there is no hell) . Mohamed did not have the last word on God. Have faith in your ability to discern and question everything.
UtherPenguin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2015 7:08:18 PM
Christopher Hitchens

All knowledge is based on faith. it more irrational to deny the existence if faith than to have blind faith. Because at least the one with blind faith has the humility to admit he has faith.
"Praise Allah."
~YYW
DanMGTOW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2015 4:36:50 AM
At 12/20/2015 6:56:57 PM, lotsoffun wrote:
Christopher Hitchens

It's not faith that is the problem. It is religion. Too many people think of faith as exclusive to some organised religion. Millions have left religions but kept their faith in a higher power while realising that they are responsible for what happens to them in this free will universe. Jesus isn't coming to save you just because you uttered some words that you think will save you from eternal damnation (there is no hell) . Mohamed did not have the last word on God. Have faith in your ability to discern and question everything.

then why use the word faith? and not trust?
words have baggage, the reason why i trust my abilities is because i've seen them work time and again, they are also testable, verifiable, and falsifiable.
words like believe, faith, god, hell etc. have little value and are often confused, because there is nothing tangible for people to get a clear picture of.