Jump to topic:

A Cruel God.

Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2015 8:28:31 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
Being raised up in a Conservative family, and a very extreme religious one, I never questioned my parents, or the pastors. But growing up, I have realized how cruel God is. A God that everyone praises for "saving them" or whatever. They aren't worshiping a God they think he is, a loving caring one, but a cruel, heartless idol.

Many Christians only focus on the good scriptures. the scriptures where God proclaims his love for his so called children.

Here, I will show that God is more evil, than good.

Burning the Daughter.

A priest's daughter, if found to have lost her virginity without marriage, can receive the death penalty, but in the form of incineration.

How many fundamentalist priests who so easily condemn others would carry out the burning of their daughters if they found them "whoring"?

""And the daughter of any priest, if she profane herself by playing the whore, she profaneth her father: she shall be burnt with fire." (Leviticus 21:9)"

God claims to love all of his children, but allows killing of a girl who made a mistake?

Cut off her Hand.

A wife would naturally wish to come to the aid of her husband in any way she could if he desperately struggled with an opponent, but the Hebrew law specifically forbade a wife to help her husband in distress if that support consisted of her grabbing the enemy's genitals in an effort to stifle his onslaught. The penalty? Amputation of the hand that fondled the genitals!

"When men strive together one with another, and the wife of the one draweth near for to deliver her husband out of the hand of him that smiteth him, and putteth forth her hand, and taketh him by the secrets: then thou shalt cut off her hand, thine eye shall not pity her." (Deuteronomy 25:11-12)"

Extreme sexist. Women are expected to do all the hard work, but this is what they get?

Female Inferiority.

The Bible's decree of male supremacy has kept woman inferior to men for centuries. For the religious, it comes as a sad fact that a human must have a penis to receive any respect or power within the Church.

"But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God." (I Corinthians 11:3)

"For the man is not of the woman; but the woman of the man. Neither was the man created for the woman; but the woman for the man." (I Corinthians 11:8-9)"

All woman should realize that such phrases in the Bible has justified for many Christian men, not only their supremacy but a reason to sexually abuse women.

Is this really the God you, and or Christians serve? Why? Jesus claims he wants up to be more like him, so does that mean we should go out and kill innocent people?

Why do you praise, and support such a evil God?
" We need more videos of cat's playing the piano on the internet" - My art professor.

"Criticism is easier to take when you realize that the only people who aren't criticized are those who don't take risks." - Donald Trump

Officially Mrs. 16Kadams 8-30-16
tstor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2015 9:27:32 PM
At 12/21/2015 8:28:31 PM, Rosalie wrote:
Being raised up in a Conservative family, and a very extreme religious one, I never questioned my parents, or the pastors. But growing up, I have realized how cruel God is. A God that everyone praises for "saving them" or whatever. They aren't worshiping a God they think he is, a loving caring one, but a cruel, heartless idol.
This ought to be good...no, GREAT!

Many Christians only focus on the good scriptures. the scriptures where God proclaims his love for his so called children.
Hard to avoid those scriptures. They are a dime a dozen.

Burning the Daughter.

A priest's daughter, if found to have lost her virginity without marriage, can receive the death penalty, but in the form of incineration.
False, the woman would not be killed by fire. Fire and hanging were reserved for the worst crimes. However, Joshua 7:25 informs us on how they used fire:
"Joshua said: 'Why have you brought disaster upon us? Jehovah will bring disaster upon you on this day.' With that all Israel stoned him, after which they burned them with fire. Thus they stoned all of them.'" (NWT)

How many fundamentalist priests who so easily condemn others would carry out the burning of their daughters if they found them "whoring"?
None today. Do you genuinely think that Christians are still under the Old Covenant?

""And the daughter of any priest, if she profane herself by playing the whore, she profaneth her father: she shall be burnt with fire." (Leviticus 21:9)"

God claims to love all of his children, but allows killing of a girl who made a mistake?
A "mistake"? The Hebrew word used is zanah, which means "harlot." She was not making a "mistake," she was living a particular lifestyle.

Cut off her Hand.

A wife would naturally wish to come to the aid of her husband in any way she could if he desperately struggled with an opponent, but the Hebrew law specifically forbade a wife to help her husband in distress if that support consisted of her grabbing the enemy's genitals in an effort to stifle his onslaught. The penalty? Amputation of the hand that fondled the genitals!

"When men strive together one with another, and the wife of the one draweth near for to deliver her husband out of the hand of him that smiteth him, and putteth forth her hand, and taketh him by the secrets: then thou shalt cut off her hand, thine eye shall not pity her." (Deuteronomy 25:11-12)"

Extreme sexist. Women are expected to do all the hard work, but this is what they get?
What? First, since you seem to be confused on this subject, this law is no longer binding on Christians today (Old Covenant). However, I will also point out that she was not punished by losing her reproductive powers, which is what she did to the other man possibly!

Female Inferiority.

The Bible's decree of male supremacy has kept woman inferior to men for centuries. For the religious, it comes as a sad fact that a human must have a penis to receive any respect or power within the Church.

"But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God." (I Corinthians 11:3)

"For the man is not of the woman; but the woman of the man. Neither was the man created for the woman; but the woman for the man." (I Corinthians 11:8-9)"

All woman should realize that such phrases in the Bible has justified for many Christian men, not only their supremacy but a reason to sexually abuse women.
Well, it is taught that man was created first (Adam) and then woman was created as a "complement" (Eve; Genesis 2:18) Women have always been included in education (Deuteronomy 31:12), have always been honored (Exodus 20:12), and have always had individual freedom (Proverbs 31:11, 16-19) under God's laws.

1 Corinthians 11:8, 9 is speaking of headship. It is not that women are inferior biologically or in some other capacity, but that they are simply under the headship of the husband.

Is this really the God you, and or Christians serve? Why? Jesus claims he wants up to be more like him, so does that mean we should go out and kill innocent people?
Jesus did not command anyone to kill the innocent.

I praise a loving, merciful, and graceful God.
"The afternoon came down as imperceptibly as age comes to a happy man. A little gold entered into the sunlight. The bay became bluer and dimpled with shore-wind ripples. Those lonely fishermen who believe that the fish bite at high tide left their rocks, and their places were taken by others, who were convinced that the fish bite at low tide." (John Steinbeck; Tortilla Flat, 1935)
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2015 10:00:03 PM

Burning the Daughter.

Cut off her Hand.

Female Inferiority.

These days they cherry pick only what they want to believe out of the bible and claim the rest is irrelevant and no longer applies to people.
They might as well tear out all the pages they find irrelevant and only keep the scriptures that fit their particular doctrines.
They idolize an imaginary perfect supernatural character .
They idolize a fantasy regarding perfection rather than facing reality.
They cannot even live up to the perfect standards they idolize so much.
Jovian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2015 10:00:14 PM
At 12/21/2015 9:27:32 PM, tstor wrote:
This ought to be good...no, GREAT!

Hard to avoid those scriptures. They are a dime a dozen.

Burning the Daughter.

False, the woman would not be killed by fire. Fire and hanging were reserved for the worst crimes. However, Joshua 7:25 informs us on how they used fire:
"Joshua said: 'Why have you brought disaster upon us? Jehovah will bring disaster upon you on this day.' With that all Israel stoned him, after which they burned them with fire. Thus they stoned all of them.'" (NWT)

None today. Do you genuinely think that Christians are still under the Old Covenant?

A "mistake"? The Hebrew word used is zanah, which means "harlot." She was not making a "mistake," she was living a particular lifestyle.

Cut off her Hand.

What? First, since you seem to be confused on this subject, this law is no longer binding on Christians today (Old Covenant). However, I will also point out that she was not punished by losing her reproductive powers, which is what she did to the other man possibly!

But did the women did this in order to sterilize their men? I thought they only wanted to push their Achilles' heels in order to stop their husbands from fighting. It would take quite much to sterilize a man with ones hands. If it was that easy, all men who ever had a soccer shot in the groin would become sterile.

Also you seem to "tu quoque" quite much right now when you're saying that she was the one who started it.
Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2015 10:03:44 PM
At 12/21/2015 10:00:03 PM, Skyangel wrote:

Burning the Daughter.

Cut off her Hand.

Female Inferiority.

These days they cherry pick only what they want to believe out of the bible and claim the rest is irrelevant and no longer applies to people.
They might as well tear out all the pages they find irrelevant and only keep the scriptures that fit their particular doctrines.

Exactly. People want to believe God is this loving fictional idol, but they ignore what really matters. God is just like us, sinners.
" We need more videos of cat's playing the piano on the internet" - My art professor.

"Criticism is easier to take when you realize that the only people who aren't criticized are those who don't take risks." - Donald Trump

Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2015 10:12:09 PM
At 12/21/2015 10:03:44 PM, Rosalie wrote:
At 12/21/2015 10:00:03 PM, Skyangel wrote:

Exactly. People want to believe God is this loving fictional idol, but they ignore what really matters. God is just like us, sinners.

What do you expect when humans are apparently created in its/his image.?

God is a deceiver and a hypocrite and so are people.

The idea is to learn to forgive the bad and love others in spite of their negative side.
That concept would also apply to God if he was real.

It is a bit like accepting Mother Nature as she is in spite of the destruction and bad things she causes. She can't help herself. Neither can God.
Supernatural characters tend to have the same personalities as humans since humans create them.
DPMartin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2015 12:25:29 AM

Burning the Daughter.

The usual deceiving others on what is written or said, that is in this case, scripture.

The British use and definition of "whore" during the time of the translation of the KJV documented in the OED is 1. a. A woman who prostitutes herself for hire; a prostitute, harlot.
Hardly a innocent incident of indiscretion as you would try to make readers of your post believe.

And it is just as inappropriate for a preacher"s daughter to be doing, while a practicing member of a church.

Hence a voluntary act with the knowledge of the consequence of the law in this case, therefore being old enough to do such, one would think she would be smart enough to remove herself from the presence of her father"s house hold so not only her own safety, but wouldn"t put her family in a position that they would have to do something they didn"t want to.

Cut off her Hand.

Note that there is no punishment for using a weapon of some sort even mention of killing her husbands assailant. Just one thing of many things that can be done is forbidden and punished. Again a deception and twisting of the meaning of scripture.

Female Inferiority.

Also you exclude some of the text that is included with this.

Col:3:19: Husbands, love your wives, and be not bitter against them.

People don"t need the bible to be abusive or abusers, do they? Or are you using your view of this scripture to justify being abusive to Christian males?
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2015 6:19:36 AM
At 12/21/2015 8:28:31 PM, Rosalie
You see from the responses that they don't ignore the obscenities they actually condone justify them.
It's a good thing that psychopaths like them are in fear of the afterlife or the human race would have been obliterated millennia ago by their ilk.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2015 6:21:07 AM
At 12/22/2015 6:19:36 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 12/21/2015 8:28:31 PM, Rosalie
You see from the responses that they don't ignore the obscenities they actually condone * justify them.
It's a good thing that psychopaths like them are in fear of the afterlife or the human race would have been obliterated millennia ago by their ilk.

* and
Juan_Pablo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2015 6:27:58 AM

Burning the Daughter.

Cut off her Hand.

Female Inferiority.

These scriptures were written (or endorsed) by someone who believed they spoke for God. Even though there is a lot of good content in the scriptures, we still have to understand that the people who wrote them were human, and were tainted by misguided views of their own, or by the prevailing views of their day, even if they were flatly ridiculous!

Just because it's in the Bible doesn't mean we should be fully accepting of those views. Bible writers, even those in contact with God, can make huge mistakes and commit atrocious errors.

Instead, we must use our own individual judgement to determine the validity of something we encounter in the scriptures.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2015 6:54:00 AM
At 12/22/2015 6:27:58 AM, Juan_Pablo wrote:

Burning the Daughter.

Cut off her Hand.

Female Inferiority.

These scriptures were written (or endorsed) by someone who believed they spoke for God. Even though there is a lot of good content in the scriptures, we still have to understand that the people who wrote them were human, and were tainted by misguided views of their own, or by the prevailing views of their day, even if they were flatly ridiculous!

Just because it's in the Bible doesn't mean we should be fully accepting of those views. Bible writers, even those in contact with God, can make huge mistakes and commit atrocious errors.

Instead, we must use our own individual judgement to determine the validity of something we encounter in the scriptures.

Otherwise known as cherry picking self pacification.
I get it.
Juan_Pablo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2015 8:54:43 AM
At 12/22/2015 6:54:00 AM, bulproof wrote:

Burning the Daughter.

Cut off her Hand.

Female Inferiority.

I get it.

Bulproof, I cherry pick what's in the Bible, the views advocated by the Founding Fathers, the advice given by my parents, even the wisdom communicated by scientists. I cherry pick everything and I'm not ashamed to admit that. You have to be careful with everything you read and everything that's communicated to you.
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2015 9:16:34 AM

Burning the Daughter.

Cut off her Hand.

Female Inferiority.

I don't. I awoke to this realization several years ago and since then have thoroughly enjoyed my intellectual and spiritual journey exploring various religions. I've found kernels of truth within them all, and have a much deeper sense of satisfaction on a soul-level. The most reasonable religion I've found is Buddhism, and I do tend to favor the idea of reincarnation rather than the heaven/hell dynamic.
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
graceofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2015 9:50:17 AM

Burning the Daughter.

Cut off her Hand.

Female Inferiority.

you should read the koran...lol

oh and those lot are still practising it...
JJ50
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2015 11:32:49 AM

Burning the Daughter.

Cut off her Hand.

Female Inferiority.

No human has ever been as bad as the evil deity!
frbnsn
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2015 12:10:18 PM

Burning the Daughter.

Cut off her Hand.

Female Inferiority.

Dear Mr/Mrs,
I don't think that God is cruel, at all.

He/She/It has created men and given some abilities and malignant feelings.
And He/She/It wants to see that how persons behave.
We sometimes call Him to help us;
if we do everything but everything we can and still need support, He supports.

I think, you want clearly a hand flicking and make everything straight!
JJ50
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2015 12:29:43 PM
At 12/22/2015 12:10:18 PM, frbnsn wrote:

Burning the Daughter.

Cut off her Hand.

Female Inferiority.

Dear Mr/Mrs,

You obviously haven't read that not so good book!
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2015 1:18:01 PM
At 12/22/2015 8:54:43 AM, Juan_Pablo wrote:
At 12/22/2015 6:54:00 AM, bulproof wrote:

Burning the Daughter.

Cut off her Hand.

Female Inferiority.

I get it.

Bulproof, I cherry pick what's in the Bible, the views advocated by the Founding Fathers, the advice given by my parents, even the wisdom communicated by scientists. I cherry pick everything and I'm not ashamed to admit that. You have to be careful with everything you read and everything that's communicated to you.

How do you choose which of god's words you cherry pick and which you reject?
TheWORDisLIFE
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2015 6:10:13 PM

Burning the Daughter.

Cut off her Hand.

Female Inferiority.

God is only the God of Israel (Joel 2:27). The Nation of Israel (the Biblical Israelites) is the only nation that has a God. All other nations don't have a God. They are fee to do as they want, until Christ returns.
Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2015 6:14:43 PM
At 12/22/2015 6:10:13 PM, TheWORDisLIFE wrote:

Burning the Daughter.

Cut off her Hand.

Female Inferiority.

God is only the God of Israel (Joel 2:27). The Nation of Israel (the Biblical Israelites) is the only nation that has a God. All other nations don't have a God. They are fee to do as they want, until Christ returns.

Obviously I'm talking about the Christian God if I'm quoting the Holy Bible.

TheWORDisLIFE
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2015 8:26:53 PM
At 12/22/2015 6:14:43 PM, Rosalie wrote:
At 12/22/2015 6:10:13 PM, TheWORDisLIFE wrote:

Burning the Daughter.

Cut off her Hand.

Female Inferiority.

Obviously I'm talking about the Christian God if I'm quoting the Holy Bible.

Obviously that verse is in the Holy Bible. Obviously you don't know anything about the Bible lol.
Pollux
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2015 8:40:53 PM
God just couldn't come up with anything better than what other societies were doing at that time, so he just copied rules from other cultures close by.
frbnsn
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2015 12:02:06 PM
At 12/22/2015 12:29:43 PM, JJ50 wrote:

Burning the Daughter.

Cut off her Hand.

Female Inferiority.

Dear Mr/Mrs,

We live in the world, not in paradise!
In this world, evil and goodness are mixture.
It is men's mission to struggle against evil and to do goodness.
This is the world of exam.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2015 2:08:38 PM
At 12/23/2015 12:02:06 PM, frbnsn wrote:
At 12/22/2015 12:29:43 PM, JJ50 wrote:

Burning the Daughter.

Cut off her Hand.

Female Inferiority.

Dear Mr/Mrs,

We live in the world, not in paradise!
In this world, evil and goodness are mixture.
It is men's mission to struggle against evil and to do goodness.
This is the world of exam.
It can't be an exam if the results are already known, your god wrote the results before creation.
Job's done, the game is fixed, results were in an eternity ago, it's rigged.
It's unbelievable that you godbotherers can't understand that.
Juan_Pablo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2015 12:43:49 AM
Life isn't an exam. Life is purely experimental. You're not going to win an award at the end of life if you do a good job or be given a penalty if you do a bad job. That only happens while you're alive. When you die, the experiment is personally over for you as a human.

The sad truth is that there are people born into this world that wont be able to do anything but fail. That's the kind of universe we live in. Do these people deserve to be punished even more for God's failure to make a better world? No.

The world is an experiment. I'm not convinced that humans will live the entire breath that the universe is around either. Humans will be lucky if they survive for another thousand to ten thousand years. 1 billion years is a bit of a stretch for me. God may have more elegant companions at that point; ask the dinosaurs.

If you're looking for a competition, look for it in life. But the universe is only a crude experiment in my eyes.
Juan_Pablo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2015 1:08:20 AM
Humans are the first intelligent organisms on our planet capable of establishing written systems of laws and amazing technology. To think that we're the end of God's experimental planning is a little bit naive. That could also explain why our modern world appears to be so messed up.

LOL. God's real intelligent companions have yet to be created.
Juan_Pablo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2015 1:10:13 AM
Humans might be [part of] the testing phase for the real advanced sentient beings that follow. There's a lot we simply don't know yet.
Yassine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2015 1:13:08 AM
At 12/22/2015 9:50:17 AM, graceofgod wrote:

you should read the koran...lol

oh and those lot are still practising it...

- Unfortunately for you, no such directives exist there.
Current Debates:

Islam is not a religion of peace vs. @ Lutonator:
* http://www.debate.org...
Juan_Pablo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2015 1:32:47 AM
At 12/24/2015 1:08:20 AM, Juan_Pablo wrote:
Humans are the first intelligent organisms on our planet capable of establishing written systems of laws and amazing technology. To think that we're the end of God's experimental planning is a little bit naive. That could also explain why our modern world appears to be so messed up.

LOL. God's real intelligent companions have yet to be created.

Intelligent Life 1.0
gordonjames
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2015 2:16:27 AM
Hi Rosalie

If you have been reading the Bible and came up wit those questions on your own, that is great.

I too have many questions (mostly different from yours ) about why God's standards and decisions are so much different from what mine would be.

Here are a few ideas that help me put it in perspective.

1. God knows the results before he speaks or does anything.
This means that he knows WHEN and HOW having a harsh punishment will work out for more good than letting people act however they want.

For example - God is harsh in the old testament about sexual promiscuity. We often think He is too harsh, but by allowing sexual promiscuity we promote sexually transmitted diseases. Only God knows how bad the epidemics would have been if not for the harsh punishments among the early Hebrew people.

2. You judge God as cruel because you don't like the laws he made for a violent people in a violent world over 3000 years ago. The people living in those times saw God as good and merciful. I think you would agree that they were in a better position to judge than we are.

Your judgments would be more accurate (you would have better understanding of culture and better access to the facts) if you were to judge what you see God doing with and through His people today.

If you accept that Christianity (The New Testament) helps you understand how God relates to more modern people, then you should look at the words and actions of Christian people in your time.

I am the pastor of a small Canadian church. We run a food bank out of our church, and our small congregation (65 people on a normal Sunday) feed about 120 families every week. Judging God and his people as good or bad or cruel or kind will be more accurate if you look at a time and place you understand rather than a long time ago in a far away place.

3. Government and public order.
You live in a country that has capitol punishment (after a judicial process). Even more frequent your police kill people as they carry out their duties. I assume you vote, and that occasionally the party you vote for has some influence in government. Your government either is in favour of these conditions, or allows them to happen. The Old Testament need for public order is not much different than our need for it today. It is hard to convince me that you find God cruel for doing exactly what you and your government do.

4. Very low death toll
Do you believe that the US should have dropped atomic bombs on civilians?
Do you believe that drone strikes are a good idea?

God's death toll across the 4000 years is far lower than that of your government in less than 100 years. Your claims about the cruelty of God are sort of amusing.

From the stand point of governing, God seems to give too much freedom (to your politicians and mine)