Jump to topic:

Cherry Picking

Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2015 10:21:40 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
Which parts of the bible are still relevant today and which parts are not?

Is any of the OT still relevant to anyone?

Are the ten commandments still relevant ?

How much of the bible do you discard as useless and no longer applicable?
Electric-Eccentric
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2015 11:47:51 PM
I personally view the scriptures/bible as a sort of "cookbook" of life and death

and what is found in between.

the scriptures/bible are more like many cookbooks in a bookcase with some older then others.

the scriptures/bible is as it was designed...

much like a bookcase full of different cookbooks from different "ages" styles, tastes and such are all a collection put on shelves.

you have milk & deli meats of many and meat, treats & candies for few

different strokes for different folks

you are what you eat, be it "natural" foodstuffs or food for thought.....

simply put.

the religious books, ALL of them are mostly fictional matter with a few names and places tossed in here and there to impress and give it a NAME BRAND trade marked and patented INK

it is much like a "modern" day book that is about most anything and they use a known person or more from the REAL recorded histories of past, and popular locations such as the city of Atlantis or the city of lost angels and such.

There is a movie that is a comedy that has Albert Einstein riding a motorcycle Hollywood style. Some people believe what they see in movies or read in books of fiction that are believed to be more fact and truth such as many believe that the scriptures/bible are far more then they HONESTLY are in FACT.

when all is added up with honest weights and measures no matter what labels people choose to try and apply to themselves and others and the pigeonholes that most try and place themselves into, or others into...

it comes down to people will believe whatever they want as that is their right and choice,

even if it is as real as Santa, the tooth fairy, Easter bunny and pro wrestling...

then they will say something else in the opposite direction and not realize that they are double minded. A little angel on one shoulder and a little devil on the other that "debate" as to who is at fault, where to place the blame and responsibilities

........ and where are the presents?

most overly wonderful and then some as I can prove it beyond the intelligence of the many as but the few can understand the Way, the Truth and the Life

those of the many are more interested in

where are the presents and other such distractions...

Mary X-MA$ & a crappy new year to all and to all a

pull my finger as I got your nose
Life is what YOU make it,
Most just try and fake it...
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2015 12:09:04 AM
At 12/21/2015 11:54:25 PM, TheGreatAndPowerful wrote:
Ezekiel 23:20 and only Ezekiel 23:20.

Well Deuteronomy 23:1 still is relevant. Can't have men with only one testicle in heaven.
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2015 2:02:16 AM
At 12/21/2015 11:47:51 PM, Electric-Eccentric wrote:
I personally view the scriptures/bible as a sort of "cookbook" of life and death

the scriptures/bible are more like many cookbooks in a bookcase with some older then others.

much like a bookcase full of different cookbooks from different "ages" styles, tastes and such are all a collection put on shelves.

simply put.

the religious books, ALL of them are mostly fictional matter with a few names and places tossed in here and there to impress and give it a NAME BRAND trade marked and patented INK

it is much like a "modern" day book that is about most anything and they use a known person or more from the REAL recorded histories of past, and popular locations such as the city of Atlantis or the city of lost angels and such.

There is a movie that is a comedy that has Albert Einstein riding a motorcycle Hollywood style. Some people believe what they see in movies or read in books of fiction that are believed to be more fact and truth such as many believe that the scriptures/bible are far more then they HONESTLY are in FACT.

when all is added up with honest weights and measures no matter what labels people choose to try and apply to themselves and others and the pigeonholes that most try and place themselves into, or others into...

it comes down to people will believe whatever they want as that is their right and choice,

even if it is as real as Santa, the tooth fairy, Easter bunny and pro wrestling...

then they will say something else in the opposite direction and not realize that they are double minded. A little angel on one shoulder and a little devil on the other that "debate" as to who is at fault, where to place the blame and responsibilities

most overly wonderful and then some as I can prove it beyond the intelligence of the many as but the few can understand the Way, the Truth and the Life

A cook book with plenty of food for thought.
People use whatever ingredients that are to their taste and cook up tasty doctrines suit their beliefs..... but most of their food won't be of any benefit till after people die.
Then the worms will eat the dead brains which soaked it all up.
Electric-Eccentric
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2015 2:53:44 AM
At 12/22/2015 2:02:16 AM, Skyangel wrote:
At 12/21/2015 11:47:51 PM, Electric-Eccentric wrote:

simply put.

A cook book with plenty of food for thought.
People use whatever ingredients that are to their taste and cook up tasty doctrines suit their beliefs..... but most of their food won't be of any benefit till after people die.
Then the worms will eat the dead brains which soaked it all up.

EEnough allready

your making me fungry
tstor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2015 3:11:01 AM
At 12/21/2015 10:21:40 PM, Skyangel wrote:

These three questions would easily be answered if you read the Bible. Ignorance is a choice, so make your decision.

None of it.
"The afternoon came down as imperceptibly as age comes to a happy man. A little gold entered into the sunlight. The bay became bluer and dimpled with shore-wind ripples. Those lonely fishermen who believe that the fish bite at high tide left their rocks, and their places were taken by others, who were convinced that the fish bite at low tide." (John Steinbeck; Tortilla Flat, 1935)
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2015 4:42:01 AM
At 12/22/2015 3:11:01 AM, tstor wrote:

These three questions would easily be answered if you read the Bible. Ignorance is a choice, so make your decision.

Yes it is. It's amazing how many people chose to believe in invisible supernatural characters.
I wonder if they would still worship the same character if her name was Mother Nature.
She has all the same attributes as God.

None of it.

So you still perform animal sacrifices to your God?
tstor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2015 5:17:31 AM
At 12/22/2015 4:42:01 AM, Skyangel wrote:

None of it.

Nope. I am not under the Old Covenant. You would know that if you read the Bible. Ignorance is a choice :)
"The afternoon came down as imperceptibly as age comes to a happy man. A little gold entered into the sunlight. The bay became bluer and dimpled with shore-wind ripples. Those lonely fishermen who believe that the fish bite at high tide left their rocks, and their places were taken by others, who were convinced that the fish bite at low tide." (John Steinbeck; Tortilla Flat, 1935)
Composer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2015 6:20:41 AM
At 12/22/2015 5:17:31 AM, tstor wrote:

None of it.

Nope. I am not under the Old Covenant. You would know that if you read the Bible. Ignorance is a choice :)

So you have advanced to sacrificing a human for your sins instead!

LMAO@U!
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2015 6:24:01 AM
At 12/22/2015 3:11:01 AM, tstor wrote:
Ignorance is a choice
And results in religion.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2015 6:26:02 AM
Nope. I am not under the Old Covenant.
So you discard the old covenant and have lied in your earlier post.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
graceofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2015 10:00:58 AM

the ten commandments are still relevant especially for non believers as they set the standard that is expected to be lived to without God's Grace intervening ...
Philocat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2015 11:10:36 AM
Interesting topic, Skyangel!

As a moderate/liberal Catholic, it appears to me that parts of the Bible can be put into four different categories:

1. Culture-specific laws
2. Metaphors
3. Literal truth
4. Personal interpretation

Most of the laws laid out in Deuteronomy, Exodus and Leviticus are culture-specific. They were only binding in the Jewish society at that time and have no relevance for today. We can look back on these laws and examine why they were introduced and for what purposes, but we have no obligation to obey these laws in the present day.

The majority of the rest of the Bible is either metaphorical or literally true. Of course, this prompts us to ask how we can distinguish between the two. This is where a little common sense comes into play, and why the Bible shouldn't be taken to be literally true all the time.

Take the following sentence:

'You should have seen my new car yesterday! I flew down the motorway and reached London in 10 minutes!'

To deduce what is meant metaphorically and what is meant literally, we need a thought process. Firstly, we take the sentence to be literally true by default, since people generally speak in literal terms unless we have reason to suppose otherwise.

From this literal perspective, most of the sentence checks out. It is not strange to believe that the speaker literally did reach London in 10 minutes, as it doesn't conflict with any factual knowledge we have.

However, if we take it to be literally true that the car 'flew down the motorway' then we have a problem. We know for a fact that cars can't fly. Therefore we can deduce that this part of the sentence is metaphorical.

To summarise, we can take most of the Bible literally, but if some things directly conflict with what we know to be true, then we should instead take them metaphorically. Remember, use common sense.

Finally, we have parts of the Bible that seem to be personal interpretation. The most prominent examples are the letters in the latter part of the New Testament. Note that this does not discredit the authors of these letters; they provide a valued interpretation and insight into Christianity. However, they were not infallible. Hence we must take things such as historical context and personal sympathies into account when reading letters.

If one manages to read the Bible sensibly, knowing what to take literally and what to contextualize, then it is a tremendously valuable and profound book. Yet its profundity entails that a certain level of common sense, background knowledge and good conscience are needed in order to read it properly.
JJ50
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2015 11:27:15 AM

Much of the Bible is irrelevant to the way we live today.

The only commandments worth following are the thou shalt not murder, steal, cheat on your partner or lie.
tstor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2015 4:03:53 PM
At 12/22/2015 6:26:02 AM, bulproof wrote:

Nope. I am not under the Old Covenant.
So you discard the old covenant and have lied in your earlier post.
Is that what I said? The Old Covenant has been fulfilled, not discarded.
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2015 5:49:16 PM

The word of God is always relevant.

Yes

Yes.

We are not bound by the old testament covenant as we live under the new covenant. However, the moral law of the old testament applies as does the history of God with his people help us to further understand our current relationship with God.

The old in revealed in the new and the new hidden in the old.
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2015 6:43:36 PM
At 12/22/2015 12:09:04 AM, TBR wrote:

Well Deuteronomy 23:1 still is relevant. Can't have men with only one testicle in heaven.

http://news.nationalpost.com...
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2015 6:47:44 PM
At 12/22/2015 6:43:36 PM, Geogeer wrote:

Nice fine Geogeer. Really. That is something I can use.
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2015 6:50:37 PM
At 12/22/2015 6:47:44 PM, TBR wrote:
At 12/22/2015 6:43:36 PM, Geogeer wrote:

Nice fine Geogeer. Really. That is something I can use.

I just found it to be a funny coincidence because it was in the news recently...
Electric-Eccentric
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2015 10:02:44 PM
You should have seen my new horse yesterday! galloped down the pathway and reached London in 2 days time.

You should have seen my new chariot yesterday! I rushed along the Nile and reached Egypt in short time.

You should have seen my new flying carpet yesterday! I flew through the air with the greatest of ease and reached Atlantis in time.

You could have seen Noah's Ark yesterday! I Blew across the waters and reached dry land in record time.

You should have seen the garden pixies yesterday! They flew around the flora and reached time breaking themes, played tiny records and sipped wine...
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2015 11:01:07 PM

None of it.

Do you still need to obey the commandments which are under the Old covenant? ( Matt 19:17. 1 John 2:3. 1 John 5:2 ) Or only the ones you deem relevant?

If you claim to be under the New Covenant, do you present your body as a living sacrifice to God? ( Rom 12:1 )
If so, please explain in what way you are a living sacrifice and what is the purpose of your being a living sacrifice if no sacrifice is needed after Jesus sacrifice?
Was Jesus also a living sacrifice or was he not a sacrifice till the character physically died?
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2015 11:19:43 PM
At 12/22/2015 10:00:58 AM, graceofgod wrote:

the ten commandments are still relevant especially for non believers as they set the standard that is expected to be lived to without God's Grace intervening ...

How can a commandment to love God be relevant to non believers in gods?
That commandment was given to people who were already worshipping gods not to unbelievers in gods.
That is why the first commandment includes "Thou shalt have no other gods before me."
It is one mythical god trying to get the worshippers of mythical gods to worship one instead of many gods.
It would be the same as Zeus saying, don't worship any other gods except me, the king of the gods.

The irony of it all is that later the same God claims there are no other gods, implying he is the only one that exists. ( Isaiah 44:8 )

Zeus or Mother Nature could have said exactly the same thing.

Isaiah 44:8 basically makes God an atheist since he declares he is not a believer in gods. He is only a believer in himself.
All atheists follow that example.

Theists obviously do not since they worship a vast array of different gods including Allah, Jesus, Jehovah, Michael the archangel, Yahweh, Holy Spirit, etc etc

Should you follow Gods example and worship only yourself and understand there are no gods or does he set an example to worship someone greater than himself?
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2015 11:49:47 PM
At 12/22/2015 11:10:36 AM, Philocat wrote:
Interesting topic, Skyangel!

As a moderate/liberal Catholic, it appears to me that parts of the Bible can be put into four different categories:

1. Culture-specific laws
2. Metaphors
3. Literal truth
4. Personal interpretation

Most of the laws laid out in Deuteronomy, Exodus and Leviticus are culture-specific. They were only binding in the Jewish society at that time and have no relevance for today. We can look back on these laws and examine why they were introduced and for what purposes, but we have no obligation to obey these laws in the present day.

OK, so the ten commandments which are part of the "old covenant" were culture specific and have no relevance to anyone but the Jews in the bible story? Not even Jews today are obligated to follow them ?

The majority of the rest of the Bible is either metaphorical or literally true. Of course, this prompts us to ask how we can distinguish between the two. This is where a little common sense comes into play, and why the Bible shouldn't be taken to be literally true all the time.

Take the following sentence:

'You should have seen my new car yesterday! I flew down the motorway and reached London in 10 minutes!'

To deduce what is meant metaphorically and what is meant literally, we need a thought process. Firstly, we take the sentence to be literally true by default, since people generally speak in literal terms unless we have reason to suppose otherwise.

From this literal perspective, most of the sentence checks out. It is not strange to believe that the speaker literally did reach London in 10 minutes, as it doesn't conflict with any factual knowledge we have.

However, if we take it to be literally true that the car 'flew down the motorway' then we have a problem. We know for a fact that cars can't fly. Therefore we can deduce that this part of the sentence is metaphorical.

To summarise, we can take most of the Bible literally, but if some things directly conflict with what we know to be true, then we should instead take them metaphorically. Remember, use common sense.

So when we read about dead people being raised from their graves after being dead for three days as in the case of Jesus or four as in the case of Lazarus, or longer as in the case of many bodies ( Matt 27:52) we should understand it is metaphorical and not literal since common sense tells us that no dead people literally rise from literal graves?
Correct?

Finally, we have parts of the Bible that seem to be personal interpretation. The most prominent examples are the letters in the latter part of the New Testament. Note that this does not discredit the authors of these letters; they provide a valued interpretation and insight into Christianity. However, they were not infallible. Hence we must take things such as historical context and personal sympathies into account when reading letters.

Any letters are obviously directed to the churches, Christians, to whom those letters were written and not to the whole world. Therefore they would only be relevant and applicable to the people who were alive to read them at the time, Correct ?

If one manages to read the Bible sensibly, knowing what to take literally and what to contextualize, then it is a tremendously valuable and profound book. Yet its profundity entails that a certain level of common sense, background knowledge and good conscience are needed in order to read it properly.

Then why do so many believers read it like a small child reads stories about Santa or any other myth while believing Santa and other mythical characters to be real?
Just because a wolf can be perceived to be real and a little girl in a red coat can be perceived to be real and a forest can be perceived to be real does not mean the story of red riding hood ought to be taken literally in way shape or form.

Do you believe a physical supernatural man named Jesus was literally born from a physical virgin lived on Earth, did supernatural miracles and rose from a grave? How about Lazarus or the many who supposedly came out of their graves in Matt 27:52.. How long had they been dead? Centuries?

Were any of the resurrections in the bible stories literal or were all metaphorical?
If you think any were literal, how do you decide which are literal and which are not?
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2015 11:57:07 PM
At 12/22/2015 10:02:44 PM, Electric-Eccentric wrote:
You should have seen my new horse yesterday! galloped down the pathway and reached London in 2 days time.

You should have seen my new chariot yesterday! I rushed along the Nile and reached Egypt in short time.

You should have seen my new flying carpet yesterday! I flew through the air with the greatest of ease and reached Atlantis in time.

You could have seen Noah's Ark yesterday! I Blew across the waters and reached dry land in record time.

You should have seen the garden pixies yesterday! They flew around the flora and reached time breaking themes, played tiny records and sipped wine...

You should have seen the new sci fi theories. They flew around the planet at faster than light speed and ended up where they began before they left. Those who had their ears tickled with the great and mighty wind experienced evidence of their reality. The rest accused them of being circular seasoning.

;-)
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2015 12:01:25 AM
At 12/22/2015 11:27:15 AM, JJ50 wrote:

Much of the Bible is irrelevant to the way we live today.

The only commandments worth following are the thou shalt not murder, steal, cheat on your partner or lie.

What about lying to yourself? Self deceived people tend to lie to themselves and convince themselves that their lies are truth.
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2015 12:06:31 AM
At 12/22/2015 5:49:16 PM, Geogeer wrote:

Yes

Yes.

We are not bound by the old testament covenant as we live under the new covenant. However, the moral law of the old testament applies as does the history of God with his people help us to further understand our current relationship with God.

So we are not bound by the ten commandments which are part of the old covenant?

Does God set an example to follow?

If so, does He worship anyone other than himself?

Does God believe in any gods who are superior to him?
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2015 12:11:16 AM
At 12/23/2015 12:06:31 AM, Skyangel wrote:
At 12/22/2015 5:49:16 PM, Geogeer wrote:

Yes

Yes.

So we are not bound by the ten commandments which are part of the old covenant?

No, I just stated that we continue to be bound by the moral law, of which the 10 commandments are a significant part.

Does God set an example to follow?

Jesus

If so, does He worship anyone other than himself?

God is love. As such there is a continual perfect loving relationship between Father, Son and Holy Spirit.

Does God believe in any gods who are superior to him?

Obviously not, because then he wouldn't be God.
ButterCatX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2015 12:13:54 AM
Ezekiel 25:17 is the most relevant. It's also very righteous. It put me in a sort of transitional period
I bet fanfics are already being posted on random blogs about us.-Vaarka

Butters preformed his duty to the town and died with honor, he helped us kill scum, so we know have to go and make sure his death wasn't in vain and win this game for him.-lannan13

All hail the great and mighty Butters, who died for our inactive cause.-Vaarka

fuckith offith, lol.-Ore(talking to me)

And guess what happened to FT? He got raped to death.-Xlav

You are so obviously town I love you man.-VOT
tstor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2015 1:56:48 AM
At 12/22/2015 11:01:07 PM, Skyangel wrote:

Do you still need to obey the commandments which are under the Old covenant? ( Matt 19:17. 1 John 2:3. 1 John 5:2 ) Or only the ones you deem relevant?
Okay, let's examine each verse. In order, they read:
"He said to him: 'Why do you ask me about what is good? One there is who is good. If, though, you want to enter into life, observe the commandments continually.'" (NWT)

"And by this we realize that we have come to know him, namely, if we continue observing his commandments." (NWT)

"By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God and carry out his commandments." (NWT)

To understand Matthew 19:17, simply read the next two verses:
"He said to him: 'Which ones?' Jesus said: 'You must not murder, you must not commit adultery, you must not steal, you must not bear false witness, honor your father and your mother, and you must love your neighbor as yourself.'" (NWT)

1 John 2:3 is speaking of moral laws, not ceremonial laws. This is obvious because of verses such as 1 Corinthians 7:19:
"Circumcision means nothing, and uncircumcision means nothing; what means something is the observing of God's commandments."

The same applies to 1 John 5:2.

If you claim to be under the New Covenant, do you present your body as a living sacrifice to God? ( Rom 12:1 )
Romans 12:1, 2 reads:
"Therefore, I appeal to you by the compassions of God, brothers, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, a sacred service with your power of reason. And stop being molded by this system of things, but be transformed by making your mind over, so that you may prove to yourselves the good and acceptable and perfect will of God." (NWT)

You will notice it is not talking about preparing a human sacrifice. In fact, "bodies" can be referenced back to Romans 6:13, which reads:
"Neither go on presenting your bodies to sin as weapons of unrighteousness, but present yourselves to God as those alive from the dead, also your bodies to God as weapons of righteousness."

If so, please explain in what way you are a living sacrifice and what is the purpose of your being a living sacrifice if no sacrifice is needed after Jesus sacrifice?
I believe that Paul explains it perfectly.

Was Jesus also a living sacrifice or was he not a sacrifice till the character physically died?
What do you think? Give me your own opinion based on your own reading of the Bible and then I will comment on that.