Jump to topic:

The bible is a badly written book

AWSM0055
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2015 7:31:02 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
For a holy book masterminded by God himself, it certainly isn't well structured or explained. So many parts of the bible are intertwined with metaphors, literal accounts, poorly defined and explained terms, contradictions, historically questionable accounts etc, hence there being so many different interpretations of it, resulting in over 4000 different denominations of Christianity.

So, why the confusion? I mean, it's not like humanity's survival is dependent on it right?...right?
"Evolution proves necessity is the mother of invention" - David Henson

"Calling my atheism a religion, is like calling my non-stamp-collecting a hobby" - MagicAintReal 2016

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Matt8800: "When warring men kidnap damsels of the enemy, what do they do?"

Jerry947: "They give them the option of marriage."

Matt8800: "Correct! You won idiot of the year award!"

http://explosm.net...
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2015 9:29:12 AM
At 12/22/2015 7:31:02 AM, AWSM0055 wrote:
For a holy book masterminded by God himself, it certainly isn't well structured or explained.

Not as a handbook for modern life, certainly. Where's the chapter on nutrition? Basic medicine? Planned parenthood? Physics? Biology? Where's the commentary on the rights of man, the equality of women, the rights of the child, the value of empirical testing and critical thought, and the virtues of a secular democracy?

I guess those questions mustn't matter enough to designing a kind, just, prosperous society to displace the necessary murders, rapes, genocides, persecutions, second-hand miracles, apocalyptic threats, and railings against gentiles needed to terrify the illiterate into patriarchal, xenophobic barbarism.
graceofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2015 9:48:52 AM
For a holy book masterminded by God himself, it certainly isn't well structured or explained. So many parts of the bible are intertwined with metaphors, literal accounts, poorly defined and explained terms, contradictions, historically questionable accounts etc, hence there being so many different interpretations of it, resulting in over 4000 different denominations of Christianity.

So, why the confusion? I mean, it's not like humanity's survival is dependent on it right?...right?

yeah best sellers tend to be like that..
JJ50
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2015 1:49:25 PM

The deity should have taken a writing course first, LOL!
AWSM0055
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2015 2:13:33 PM
At 12/22/2015 1:49:25 PM, JJ50 wrote:

He should have taken a course in Hebrew...and Greek...and Latin...and English...and Spanish...and...
"Evolution proves necessity is the mother of invention" - David Henson

"Calling my atheism a religion, is like calling my non-stamp-collecting a hobby" - MagicAintReal 2016

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Matt8800: "When warring men kidnap damsels of the enemy, what do they do?"

Jerry947: "They give them the option of marriage."

Matt8800: "Correct! You won idiot of the year award!"

http://explosm.net...
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2015 2:18:39 PM
I don't think anyone other than the feeble minded suggest that the bible was written by God. Other than clinically insane people (some of which frequent this forum), Christians will all tell you that God did not write the bible.
EtrnlVw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2015 2:39:50 PM

Well of course there is nothing inherently wrong with metaphors or literal accounts but "contradiction" and "poorly defined terms" sounds like more of an opinion. Could you tell me what terms you believe are poorly explained?

If you go back far enough you have a single source and a single author of each source. You have among them four Gospels and a handful of Epistles. Denominations are man-made, it has no bearing on the scriptures and denominations are a preference (if you even like em at all). If you want to know what Christianity is read the Gospels and the epistles, everything is in there.

The Bible doesn't have to be perfect, it can be exactly what it is which is a reflection of the relation between God and people. It is both perfect and imperfect, because you have that old duality of physical and the spiritual. The Bible is imperfect in the sense that it is a material book written by imperfect men but it is spiritually perfect, because the Spirit is universal and unchanging, the principles and awareness stay the same.
So people need not be so rigid about the Bible, because much of it is also a reflection of culture, war and historical events and therein lies the imperfection but the perfection is found in what matters here, the spiritual truths.
The Bible is fascinating because of its dynamics and layers. Symbolism, numerology, prophesy, visions, metaphors/parables, principles, mysteries all make it a best seller of non fiction. Some people only have narrow vision, they aren't seeing what lies just beneath.

Well to be fair, not all of us are confused. Most of the confusion lies within perception and distortion of facts. If you want to understand the heart of Christianity then follow the principles Jesus and Paul reveals, they are simple and easy to digest.
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2015 2:41:59 PM
At 12/22/2015 2:18:39 PM, Wylted wrote:
I don't think anyone other than the feeble minded suggest that the bible was written by God. Other than clinically insane people (some of which frequent this forum), Christians will all tell you that God did not write the bible.

Yet God is the author of Sacred Scripture. "The divinely revealed realities, which are contained and presented in the text of Sacred Scripture, have been written down under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit."

http://www.vatican.va...
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2015 2:47:59 PM
At 12/22/2015 2:41:59 PM, Geogeer wrote:

Yet God is the author of Sacred Scripture. "The divinely revealed realities, which are contained and presented in the text of Sacred Scripture, have been written down under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit."

Being inspired by and writing it are two different things right?
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2015 2:52:40 PM
At 12/22/2015 2:47:59 PM, Wylted wrote:
At 12/22/2015 2:41:59 PM, Geogeer wrote:

Being inspired by and writing it are two different things right?

Correct. The individual's personality, the context and the style of writing are interwoven. One way I like to view it is that the Word of God has come to us in two forms - Sacred Scripture and in the person of Jesus. In both cases they were fully God and fully man.
JJ50
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2015 3:10:07 PM

No but many claim it was inspired by that nasty entity!
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2015 3:12:12 PM
Yeah, whatever.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2015 3:16:15 PM
At 12/22/2015 3:12:12 PM, bulproof wrote:
Yeah, whatever.

Geogeer even verified my claim by stating the Catholic Church merely calls it inspired. Kinda like the movie Texas chainsaw massacre was inspired by the Ed Gein murders.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2015 3:17:03 PM
At 12/22/2015 3:10:07 PM, JJ50 wrote:

No but many claim it was inspired by that nasty entity!

Some people claim paintings are inspired by nature or God or whatever. It really doesn't mean much
be_diligent
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2015 3:52:44 PM

I'm guessing that you never even read it. It's amazing how people like to bash based on their own ignorance.

I've read through the bible cover to cover more than ten times, and I tell you without a doubt that it is not only "inspired," but it is the word of God.

There's a little secret that many don't know about when it comes to reading the word. It's actually contained in the bible itself.

But since you don't know what it is...I'm not going to give it away.
desmac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2015 5:05:10 PM
At 12/22/2015 1:49:25 PM, JJ50 wrote:

A creative writing course?
TheWORDisLIFE
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2015 5:57:50 PM

The Bible is not a universal book, it was written to the Israelites, for the Israelites, from the Israelites. Both Old and New covenants (Testaments) were written to Judah and Israel (Southern and Northern Kingdoms of Israel), Jeremiah 31:31 and Hebrew 8:8. The Bible says "precept must be upon precept" - Isa. 28:10, thus that is why no one but the Biblical Israelites can understand it because it was only written to us, not the entire world. Christ only came for the Israelites (Matt 15:24). God is only the God of Israel, none else (Joel 2:27; Luke 1:68). Also, that is why Christ says in Matthew 13:10-13...

10 And the disciples came, and sayd vnto him, Why speakest thou vnto them in parables?

The disciples are Jews, not the whole world.

11 He answered, and said vnto them, Because it is giuen vnto you to know the mysteries of the kingdome of heauen, but to them it is not giuen.

Christ answered them, the disciples, the Jews and said "Because it is giuen vnto you (the disciples, the Jews) to know the mysteries of the kingdome of heauen, but to them (the other nations) it is not giuen."

12 For whosoeuer hath, to him shall be giuen, and he shall haue more abundance: but whosoeuer hath not, from him shall be taken away, euen that hee hath.

"For whosoever" -is talking about whosoever of Israel (Acts 2:21-22).

13 Therefore speake I to then in parables: because they seeing, see not: and hearing, they heare not, neither doe they vnderstand.

So that is why the Bible is not written clearly because it is only for the Nation of Israel to understand and to follow. All other nations, have no God...there is only one God, the God of Israel...not the God of all nations.
IntellectVsSpirit5000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2015 7:10:46 PM

If it's "badly written", then apparently that is the formula for being the best selling book of all time.
be_diligent
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2015 8:00:05 PM
At 12/22/2015 5:57:50 PM, TheWORDisLIFE wrote:

The Bible is not a universal book, it was written to the Israelites, for the Israelites, from the Israelites. Both Old and New covenants (Testaments) were written to Judah and Israel (Southern and Northern Kingdoms of Israel), Jeremiah 31:31 and Hebrew 8:8. The Bible says "precept must be upon precept" - Isa. 28:10, thus that is why no one but the Biblical Israelites can understand it because it was only written to us, not the entire world. Christ only came for the Israelites (Matt 15:24). God is only the God of Israel, none else (Joel 2:27; Luke 1:68). Also, that is why Christ says in Matthew 13:10-13...

10 And the disciples came, and sayd vnto him, Why speakest thou vnto them in parables?

11 He answered, and said vnto them, Because it is giuen vnto you to know the mysteries of the kingdome of heauen, but to them it is not giuen.

Christ answered them, the disciples, the Jews and said "Because it is giuen vnto you (the disciples, the Jews) to know the mysteries of the kingdome of heauen, but to them (the other nations) it is not giuen."

12 For whosoeuer hath, to him shall be giuen, and he shall haue more abundance: but whosoeuer hath not, from him shall be taken away, euen that hee hath.

13 Therefore speake I to then in parables: because they seeing, see not: and hearing, they heare not, neither doe they vnderstand.

So that is why the Bible is not written clearly because it is only for the Nation of Israel to understand and to follow. All other nations, have no God...there is only one God, the God of Israel...not the God of all nations.

You certainly do a lot of adding to what is actually written. And if you knew what the bible says about that, you wouldn't do it.

I guess you have no idea that even in the Exodus there were "strangers," among the Hebrew people.

I guess you also didn't know that Israel was supposed to be a light to the world, showing the truth of God to all humankind.

I guess you didn't know that Cyrus (a non-Jewish person) was chosen by God to set the people free from the captivity in Babylon.

I guess you never looked at the blood line of Jesus Himself....

I guess you have a lot of studying to do, if you even care to know what you're talking about.
TheWORDisLIFE
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2015 8:25:24 PM
At 12/22/2015 8:00:05 PM, be_diligent wrote:

You certainly do a lot of adding to what is actually written. And if you knew what the bible says about that, you wouldn't do it.

Really? Can you show me where I added to the Word of God?

I guess you have no idea that even in the Exodus there were "strangers," among the Hebrew people.

There were strangers, also known as slaves.

I guess you also didn't know that Israel was supposed to be a light to the world, showing the truth of God to all humankind.

Scripture?

I guess you didn't know that Cyrus (a non-Jewish person) was chosen by God to set the people free from the captivity in Babylon.

I'm sorry but where/when did Cyrus set us free? Babylon is America and the Biblical Israelites are still in captivity. If you knew anything of the Scriptures, you'd know who the real Israelites are and where they are in the world today.

I sure did. But what does this have to do with anything?

I guess you have a lot of studying to do, if you even care to know what you're talking about.

I guess you should read Jer 31:31 and Heb 8:8 :)
be_diligent
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2015 9:03:56 PM
At 12/22/2015 8:25:24 PM, TheWORDisLIFE wrote:
At 12/22/2015 8:00:05 PM, be_diligent wrote:

Really? Can you show me where I added to the Word of God?

There were strangers, also known as slaves.

Ok wait right there. Show me where the strangers were "slaves," when the Hebrew people were set free from Egypt?" Verses please.

Scripture?

Ok, ready? There are tons of them, these are just a few.

Genesis 49:10 The sceptre shall not depart from Judah, nor a lawgiver from between his feet, until Shiloh come; and unto him shall the gathering of the people be.

Isaiah 49:6 And he said, It is a light thing that thou shouldest be my servant to raise up the tribes of Jacob, and to restore the preserved of Israel: I will also give thee for a light to the Gentiles, that thou mayest be my salvation unto the end of the earth.

Genesis 12:3 And I will bless them that bless thee, and curse him that curseth thee: and in thee shall all families of the earth be blessed.

Genesis 22:18 And in thy seed shall all the nations of the earth be blessed; because thou hast obeyed my voice.

Exodus 9:16 And in very deed for this cause have I raised thee up, for to show in thee my power; and that my name may be declared throughout all the earth.

1 Kings 8:43 Hear thou in heaven thy dwelling place, and do according to all that the stranger calleth to thee for: that all people of the earth may know thy name, to fear thee, as do thy people Israel; and that they may know that this house, which I have builded, is called by thy name.

I can keep posting them but I'll stop there for now.

I'm sorry but where/when did Cyrus set us free? Babylon is America and the Biblical Israelites are still in captivity. If you knew anything of the Scriptures, you'd know who the real Israelites are and where they are in the world today.

Babylon is not America, it's a system. But that's a whole other subject.

I sure did. But what does this have to do with anything?

Jesus's own bloodline consists of Gentile blood. Look it up.

I guess you should read Jer 31:31 and Heb 8:8 :)

I've read both chapters, what point are you trying to make exactly?
TheWORDisLIFE
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2015 11:06:02 PM
At 12/22/2015 9:03:56 PM, be_diligent wrote:

Ok wait right there. Show me where the strangers were "slaves," when the Hebrew people were set free from Egypt?" Verses please.

Leviticus 25:44 Both thy bondmen, and thy bondmaids, which thou shalt haue, shall be of the Heathen, that are round about you: of them shall ye buy bondmen and bondmaids.

Leviticus 25:45 Moreouer, of the children of the strangers that do soiourne among you, of them shall ye buy, and of their families that are with you, which they begat in your land: and they shalbe your possession.

And when the real Israelites go back to our land that Edom ("white" people) currently has possession over (Ezekiel 36:5), the nations will once again be our slaves.

Isaiah 14:2 And the people shall take them, and bring them to their place: and the house of Israel shall possesse them in the land of the Lord, for seruants and handmaides: and they shall take them captiues, whose captiues they were, and they shall rule ouer their oppressours.

So all nations that enslaved the so called "African-Americans, Latinos and Native Americans" (Deuteronomy 28:15-68) are going into captivity. They will be our captives, just as we were theirs and still are.

For the NT "Christian".
Revelation 13:10 Hee that leadeth into captiuitie, shall goe into captiuitie: Hee that killeth with the sword, must be killed with the sword. Here is the patience and the faith of the Saints.

Saying the same thing as Isaiah 14:2.

Genesis 49:10 The sceptre shall not depart from Judah, nor a lawgiver from between his feet, until Shiloh come; and unto him shall the gathering of the people be.

Ok this talking about Christ because He came from the tribe of Judah (Heb 7:14). That is why precept MUST be upon precept "Isa 28:10.

What does Gen 49:10 have to do with all nations being saved or God loving everyone?

Isaiah 49:6 And he said, It is a light thing that thou shouldest be my servant to raise up the tribes of Jacob, and to restore the preserved of Israel: I will also give thee for a light to the Gentiles, that thou mayest be my salvation unto the end of the earth.

This question will show how much you really know the Bible and the know the history of the Israelites. Which Gentiles is this verse talking about?

Genesis 12:3 And I will bless them that bless thee, and curse him that curseth thee: and in thee shall all families of the earth be blessed.

Deuteronomy 4:27 And the Lord shall scatter you among the nations, and ye shall be left few in number among the heathen, whither the Lord shall lead you.

Galatians 3:16 Now to Abraham and his seede were the promises made. He saith not, And to seeds, as of many, but as of one, And to thy seed, which is Christ.

Genesis 22:18 And in thy seed shall all the nations of the earth be blessed; because thou hast obeyed my voice.

Deuteronomy 4:27 and Galatians 3:16 also go to this verse.

Exodus 9:16 And in very deed for this cause have I raised thee up, for to show in thee my power; and that my name may be declared throughout all the earth.

Romans 9:17 For the Scripture saith vnto Pharaoh, Euen for this same purpose haue I raised thee vp, that I might shew my power in thee, and that my Name might bee declared throughout all the earth.

"And in very deed for" "

Exodus 14:17 And I, beholde, I will harden the hearts of the Egyptians, and they shall follow them: and I will get mee honour vpon Pharaoh, and vpon all his hoste, vpon his charets, and vpon his horsemen.

So through showing HIS anger and power through Pharaoh, God got honor.

As you may, or may not know, Pharaoh was an Egyptian that took the Israelites captive. The Israelites broke The Most High"s commandments once and HE put them into slavery under Pharaoh. Thus, HE (God) showed his power, as well as anger through Pharaoh. That"s all that verse is saying. Pharaoh did not bless the earth or all the other nations of people, nor did he bless the Israelites.

1 Kings 8:43 Hear thou in heaven thy dwelling place, and do according to all that the stranger calleth to thee for: that all people of the earth may know thy name, to fear thee, as do thy people Israel; and that they may know that this house, which I have builded, is called by thy name.

":that all people of the earth may know thy name"" "

1 Samuel 17:46 This day wil the Lord deliuer thee into mine hand, and I will smite thee, and take thine head from thee, and I wil giue the carkeises of the host of the Philistines this day vnto the foules of the aire, and to the wild beasts of the earth, that all the earth may know that there is a God in Israel.

So again, precept MUST be upon precept "Isa 28:10.

Please do, I can keep getting the precepts to debunk your lies :).

FYI: I"m getting most of the precepts from the reference column in my bible, and the rest, well, I had to actually read the entire Bible multiple times, which you obviously don"t do, only on Sundays LOL.

And what system is that?

Really? Who was a Gentile in Jesus"s genealogy?

My point is that the Scriptures were written to the Nation of Israel and not the whole world".that"s my point.
s-anthony
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2015 11:59:37 PM

I believe people who take the Bible as a history book are like adults who believe in fairy tales.

The fairy tale is meant to entertain juvenile minds.

People in ancient times believed these fairy tales because the human mind was still in its childhood stage; they believed in these stories like children today believe in Santa Claus and the bogeyman.

As we outgrow these childhood myths, we don't look back and say they were all a farce; we realize them for that which they were: stories meant to teach a lesson about life. The tendency of skeptics to denounce any holy book as a book of lies is like children who have grown past Santa Claus or the tooth fairy only to ridicule younger children who still believe in those things. Saying the Bible is full of fairy tales entirely misses the point. The goal is not to point out falsehoods in apparent myths but to understand the meaning behind those myths.
be_diligent
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2015 12:26:35 AM
At 12/22/2015 11:06:02 PM, TheWORDisLIFE wrote:

Leviticus 25:44 Both thy bondmen, and thy bondmaids, which thou shalt haue, shall be of the Heathen, that are round about you: of them shall ye buy bondmen and bondmaids.

Leviticus 25:45 Moreouer, of the children of the strangers that do soiourne among you, of them shall ye buy, and of their families that are with you, which they begat in your land: and they shalbe your possession.

And when the real Israelites go back to our land that Edom ("white" people) currently has possession over (Ezekiel 36:5), the nations will once again be our slaves.

Isaiah 14:2 And the people shall take them, and bring them to their place: and the house of Israel shall possesse them in the land of the Lord, for seruants and handmaides: and they shall take them captiues, whose captiues they were, and they shall rule ouer their oppressours.

So all nations that enslaved the so called "African-Americans, Latinos and Native Americans" (Deuteronomy 28:15-68) are going into captivity. They will be our captives, just as we were theirs and still are.

For the NT "Christian".
Revelation 13:10 Hee that leadeth into captiuitie, shall goe into captiuitie: Hee that killeth with the sword, must be killed with the sword. Here is the patience and the faith of the Saints.

Saying the same thing as Isaiah 14:2.

Ok this talking about Christ because He came from the tribe of Judah (Heb 7:14). That is why precept MUST be upon precept "Isa 28:10.

What does Gen 49:10 have to do with all nations being saved or God loving everyone?

This question will show how much you really know the Bible and the know the history of the Israelites. Which Gentiles is this verse talking about?

Deuteronomy 4:27 And the Lord shall scatter you among the nations, and ye shall be left few in number among the heathen, whither the Lord shall lead you.

Galatians 3:16 Now to Abraham and his seede were the promises made. He saith not, And to seeds, as of many, but as of one, And to thy seed, which is Christ.

Deuteronomy 4:27 and Galatians 3:16 also go to this verse.

Romans 9:17 For the Scripture saith vnto Pharaoh, Euen for this same purpose haue I raised thee vp, that I might shew my power in thee, and that my Name might bee declared throughout all the earth.

"And in very deed for" "

Exodus 14:17 And I, beholde, I will harden the hearts of the Egyptians, and they shall follow them: and I will get mee honour vpon Pharaoh, and vpon all his hoste, vpon his charets, and vpon his horsemen.

So through showing HIS anger and power through Pharaoh, God got honor.

As you may, or may not know, Pharaoh was an Egyptian that took the Israelites captive. The Israelites broke The Most High"s commandments once and HE put them into slavery under Pharaoh. Thus, HE (God) showed his power, as well as anger through Pharaoh. That"s all that verse is saying. Pharaoh did not bless the earth or all the other nations of people, nor did he bless the Israelites.

":that all people of the earth may know thy name"" "

1 Samuel 17:46 This day wil the Lord deliuer thee into mine hand, and I will smite thee, and take thine head from thee, and I wil giue the carkeises of the host of the Philistines this day vnto the foules of the aire, and to the wild beasts of the earth, that all the earth may know that there is a God in Israel.

So again, precept MUST be upon precept "Isa 28:10.

Please do, I can keep getting the precepts to debunk your lies :).

FYI: I"m getting most of the precepts from the reference column in my bible, and the rest, well, I had to actually read the entire Bible multiple times, which you obviously don"t do, only on Sundays LOL.

And what system is that?

My point is that the Scriptures were written to the Nation of Israel and not the whole world".that"s my point.

The bible was not only written for the nation of Israel. It was written for everyone who would believe, including you.

Paul explained who true Israel is.

Romans 9:6 Not as though the word of God hath taken none effect. For they are not all Israel, which are of Israel:

See there is a natural principle, and a spiritual principle. The natural would be the actual blood line.

Here is the spiritual principle.

Galatians 3:28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.
Galatians 3:29 And if ye be Christ's, then are ye Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise.

As far as the bible being only for natural Israel. Paul ministered to different nations, he said this regarding the Bereans.

Acts 17:11 These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so.

God's word (The bible) is for all who will believe. And those who do believe know that this is true, because they know who the true teacher is.

You also referenced the Isaiah passage about "line upon line."

If you look at the entire passage it explains why they can't hear.

Isaiah 28:12 To whom he said, This is the rest wherewith ye may cause the weary to rest; and this is the refreshing: yet they would not hear.

When scripture after scripture is posted, and you call me a liar based on those scriptures, You aren't calling me a liar, you'll calling God's word false. Everything I've shared is scriptural and it is the truth.
be_diligent
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2015 12:30:35 AM
At 12/22/2015 11:06:02 PM, TheWORDisLIFE wrote:

You can't really be asking me that....seriously?

You are going to make all these claims and you haven't even looked into it.

Study it for yourself.
missmedic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2015 12:45:56 AM
The bible does not meet the criteria for a credible source. When researching, one relies on reliable sources that are peer reviewed, and cites those sources as support. Christians often do this with the Bible, treating it as a reliable source that has been "peer reviewed" by its authors. The Bible is viewed as the truth and the guide to reality, thus quoting from it is like a scientist quoting from a scientific journal. The difference is that the scientific journal can be criticized, reviewed further, and even refuted at some point. The Bible is not refuted as it requires its followers to maintain the Bible as a source of truth. If the Bible had plenty of outside sources to support its miracles and events then it would be credible. Christians see the Bible as truth and treat it as truth, so when someone says "you can't just use the bible as a source" the answer is "but that is my source, because it has the truth." By believing in it as the truth, and by not allowing any change or refutation to take place, the Bible is always seen as truth whether it is or not. Saying "stop using the bible as a source and use something else as a source" cannot be done, because Christianity is based on the Bible, not a system of academic peer review. The Bible fails for its lack of external support, so it relies solely on internal support. This is the same as any book that claims itself to be true regardless of any journal or review, whether it be pseudoscience, holocaust denial, conspiracy theory, or Scientology.
s-anthony
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2015 12:56:57 AM
At 12/23/2015 12:45:56 AM, missmedic wrote:
The bible does not meet the criteria for a credible source. When researching, one relies on reliable sources that are peer reviewed, and cites those sources as support. Christians often do this with the Bible, treating it as a reliable source that has been "peer reviewed" by its authors. The Bible is viewed as the truth and the guide to reality, thus quoting from it is like a scientist quoting from a scientific journal. The difference is that the scientific journal can be criticized, reviewed further, and even refuted at some point. The Bible is not refuted as it requires its followers to maintain the Bible as a source of truth. If the Bible had plenty of outside sources to support its miracles and events then it would be credible. Christians see the Bible as truth and treat it as truth, so when someone says "you can't just use the bible as a source" the answer is "but that is my source, because it has the truth." By believing in it as the truth, and by not allowing any change or refutation to take place, the Bible is always seen as truth whether it is or not. Saying "stop using the bible as a source and use something else as a source" cannot be done, because Christianity is based on the Bible, not a system of academic peer review. The Bible fails for its lack of external support, so it relies solely on internal support. This is the same as any book that claims itself to be true regardless of any journal or review, whether it be pseudoscience, holocaust denial, conspiracy theory, or Scientology.

The Christian fundamentalist sees the Bible as a history book; not all Christians are fundamentalists.

Christianity is not based on the Bible but the dogma of the Church. If the Bible contradicts dogma, most Christians follow dogma.
EtrnlVw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2015 1:24:22 AM

Yes everyone knows that the Bible relates to the nation of Israel because it is a collection of writings from JEWS and for their culture! BUT because you apparently have no spirituality you are ignorant to the fact that spiritual knowledge is universal, it doesn't just pertain to a sect of people, it pertains to everyone. God is the Creator of life period, that includes everyone!
As a matter of fact no one likes your old laws and rigid thinking, that is what most of the problems come from, it is the universal spiritual message/principles and what Jesus brings to the table is what the attraction is, it's the OT baloney that every one's sick of, but I ignore that because God is much greater than all of that.

Your last statement "All other nations, have no God...there is only one God, the God of Israel...not the God of all nations." is a complete contradiction and just plain ignorant.
What it should say is this.... All nations have ONE God, for there is only One God! The God of all that exists, not just the God of one nation!...
intellectuallyprimitive
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2015 1:38:20 AM
The problem, from my perspective anyways, is not the Bible in and of itself, but rather individuals who interpret the Bible and impose what they have gathered in the Bible on others and in Government.
missmedic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2015 2:02:07 AM
At 12/23/2015 1:24:22 AM, EtrnlVw wrote:

Yes everyone knows that the Bible relates to the nation of Israel because it is a collection of writings from JEWS and for their culture! BUT because you apparently have no spirituality you are ignorant to the fact that spiritual knowledge is universal, it doesn't just pertain to a sect of people, it pertains to everyone. God is the Creator of life period, that includes everyone!
As a matter of fact no one likes your old laws and rigid thinking, that is what most of the problems come from, it is the universal spiritual message/principles and what Jesus brings to the table is what the attraction is, it's the OT baloney that every one's sick of, but I ignore that because God is much greater than all of that.

Your last statement "All other nations, have no God...there is only one God, the God of Israel...not the God of all nations." is a complete contradiction and just plain ignorant.
What it should say is this.... All nations have ONE God, for there is only One God! The God of all that exists, not just the God of one nation!...

A person does NOT have to believe in God to be spiritual.
Religion has a dogmatic and unquestionable assembly of rules that need to be followed without question.
Spirituality invites you to reason it all, to question it all and to decide your actions and assume the consequences.
Religion lives in the past and in the future.
Spirituality lives in the present, in the here and now, which is all we really have.