Jump to topic:

War Against Christmas

Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2015 2:36:39 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
Not to worry my atheist friends, you didn't start the war on Christmas. The war on Christmas has a long history preceding you, because the war on Christmas is a war on Catholics.

It starts back in England after trial and execution of Catholic King Charles I, when the Puritan leader Oliver Cromwell declared himself Lord Protector of the realm in 1653.

Following the lead of Calvinists in Scotland, Cromwell banned the Christmas festivities of the papists. The Catholic liturgical calendar was full of solemnities, first class feasts and octaves. To puritans this was a bunch of "popish" celebrations with no scriptural foundation, which they countered with a common Puritan maxim, "They for whom all days are holy can have no holiday." (Holiday coming from Holy Day)

And Christmas was very Catholic! It was a public holiday where shops closed and the faithful attended Christ's Mass followed by 12 days of festivities capped off by the celebration of the Epiphany. The Catholic festivities included eating and drinking in greater quantities with special foods such us goose, beef, mince pies, plum porridge and specially brewed Christmas ales. In addition to this, there was an exchange of gifts as well as dancing, singing, games and plays! The somber Puritans took a dim view of merrymaking and deemed it excessive and sinful.

So in the 1640s, Parliament began to abolish Christmas with the ban made official in 1647. In addition to Christmas, the celebration of Easter and Whitsun (Pentecost) were also punishable offences. It wasn't until Charles II in 1660 that Christmas was restored as a holiday.

Skip to the New World. In Boston (a Puritan stronghold) Christmas was banned from 1659 to 1681. In 1686, Sir Edmund Andros sponsored a public Christmas Day service at the Boston Town House. He was so afraid of violence from Puritans at the event that he sang Christmas Carols while flanked by redcoats.

During the American Revolution Christmas was often associated with royalist sympathizers (High Anglicans and Catholics). And after ratification of the Constitution, the Senate and House continued to assemble on Christmas day and in New England schools and businesses worked through December 25 as late as 1850.

The success of Dickens' A Christmas Carol in 1843 is believed to have played a significant role in altering the perception of American's views on the day. In 1870 Ulysses S. Grant declared Christmas to be a federal holiday.

So there you go. The history of the "War on Christmas" is older than you think and started not by atheists, but rather by Christians out of hate for the Catholic Church.

And to my JW friends, now you understand the environment in which you founder was raised and why you do not celebrate Christmas.

Merry Christmas!
NewLifeChristian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2015 2:42:57 PM
At 12/22/2015 2:36:39 PM, Geogeer wrote:
Not to worry my atheist friends, you didn't start the war on Christmas. The war on Christmas has a long history preceding you, because the war on Christmas is a war on Catholics.
Perhaps the Atheists have not started it, but they sure are fueling it today.
Pro-Life Quotes:

"I've noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born."
- Ronald Reagan

"The care of human life and happiness, and not their destruction, is the first and only object of good government."
- Thomas Jefferson

"A person is a person no matter how small."
- Dr. Seuss
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2015 2:44:25 PM
At 12/22/2015 2:42:57 PM, NewLifeChristian wrote:

Different band, same tune.
NewLifeChristian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2015 2:48:09 PM
At 12/22/2015 2:44:25 PM, Geogeer wrote:

Amen.
Pro-Life Quotes:

"I've noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born."
- Ronald Reagan

"The care of human life and happiness, and not their destruction, is the first and only object of good government."
- Thomas Jefferson

"A person is a person no matter how small."
- Dr. Seuss
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2015 2:50:36 PM
At 12/22/2015 2:44:25 PM, Geogeer wrote:

Those are just Liberals sir, Us conservatives respect your freedom of religion. Regardless of our personal belief systems
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2015 3:41:58 PM

It starts back in England after trial and execution of Catholic King Charles I, when the Puritan leader Oliver Cromwell declared himself Lord Protector of the realm in 1653.

Following the lead of Calvinists in Scotland, Cromwell banned the Christmas festivities of the papists. The Catholic liturgical calendar was full of solemnities, first class feasts and octaves. To puritans this was a bunch of "popish" celebrations with no scriptural foundation, which they countered with a common Puritan maxim, "They for whom all days are holy can have no holiday." (Holiday coming from Holy Day)

And Christmas was very Catholic! It was a public holiday where shops closed and the faithful attended Christ's Mass followed by 12 days of festivities capped off by the celebration of the Epiphany. The Catholic festivities included eating and drinking in greater quantities with special foods such us goose, beef, mince pies, plum porridge and specially brewed Christmas ales. In addition to this, there was an exchange of gifts as well as dancing, singing, games and plays! The somber Puritans took a dim view of merrymaking and deemed it excessive and sinful.

So in the 1640s, Parliament began to abolish Christmas with the ban made official in 1647. In addition to Christmas, the celebration of Easter and Whitsun (Pentecost) were also punishable offences. It wasn't until Charles II in 1660 that Christmas was restored as a holiday.

Skip to the New World. In Boston (a Puritan stronghold) Christmas was banned from 1659 to 1681. In 1686, Sir Edmund Andros sponsored a public Christmas Day service at the Boston Town House. He was so afraid of violence from Puritans at the event that he sang Christmas Carols while flanked by redcoats.

During the American Revolution Christmas was often associated with royalist sympathizers (High Anglicans and Catholics). And after ratification of the Constitution, the Senate and House continued to assemble on Christmas day and in New England schools and businesses worked through December 25 as late as 1850.

The success of Dickens' A Christmas Carol in 1843 is believed to have played a significant role in altering the perception of American's views on the day. In 1870 Ulysses S. Grant declared Christmas to be a federal holiday.

So there you go. The history of the "War on Christmas" is older than you think and started not by atheists, but rather by Christians out of hate for the Catholic Church.

And to my JW friends, now you understand the environment in which you founder was raised and why you do not celebrate Christmas.

Merry Christmas!

How purcuted you must feel as an American in 2015. How terrible it must feel for you.
Pollux
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2015 3:50:39 PM
The "war on Christmas" is as detectable as God.

A rational individual concludes that neither exist.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2015 3:55:22 PM
Here is war and beauty.
Learn something peasents
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2015 4:05:54 PM
At 12/22/2015 3:41:58 PM, TBR wrote:

Merry Christmas!

How purcuted you must feel as an American in 2015. How terrible it must feel for you.

Lol, I'm not even an American. I was providing some historical context for knowledge and discussion purposes.
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2015 4:10:57 PM

Well I am glad that was cleared up..

National religion, a more singular culture + vast majority of population under one demonisation entails that, yes.

Where Catholicism is no longer dominant.

Merry Christmas!

It seems to be more of a change of values of the population in general than a war on Catholicism or Christmas itself. Which will continue to occur as long as the values of the populations continue to change, which they inevitably will do. The "Catholic Christmas" only happens when you obviously have a Catholic majority and tightly defined values. I don't see it as a war on such though, only the expected change as demographics and culture changes.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2015 4:48:52 PM
At 12/22/2015 4:05:54 PM, Geogeer wrote:
At 12/22/2015 3:41:58 PM, TBR wrote:

Merry Christmas!

Lol, I'm not even an American. I was providing some historical context for knowledge and discussion purposes.

My apologies, and I am glad that the raging metaphorical war has not reached whatever shores you call home.