Jump to topic:

Is It Religion?

bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2015 3:21:04 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
Is it religion that makes people stupid or is it being stupid that makes people religious?
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
be_diligent
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2015 3:55:44 PM
You must really want to be religious, seeing that you're hanging out on a "religion" forum. LOL
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2015 4:03:31 PM
At 12/22/2015 3:55:44 PM, be_diligent wrote:
You must really want to be religious, seeing that you're hanging out on a "religion" forum. LOL
Good for you little one.
Do you mind me saying that I think you are unintentionally funny?
POPOO5560
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2015 6:23:45 PM
At 12/22/2015 3:21:04 PM, bulproof wrote:
Is it religion that makes people stupid or is it being stupid that makes people religious?

from your question i can understand that being smart makes people atheists right?
Never fart near dog
be_diligent
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2015 6:42:44 PM
At 12/22/2015 4:03:31 PM, bulproof wrote:
At 12/22/2015 3:55:44 PM, be_diligent wrote:
Good for you little one.
Do you mind me saying that I think you are unintentionally funny?

About as funny as watching you post on a religion forum when you're obviously against all religion. I don't like or agree with new age philosophy. You won't find me hanging out on a forum that focuses on it.
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2015 8:55:57 AM

Is it "adult" teachings that cause children have a childish faith and belief in Santa or is it their childishness and gullibility that makes them believe the teachings?

Replace the word Santa with the word God and the same principle applies.
DPMartin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2015 4:54:02 PM

Yes, but you are the poster child for stupid. You are the expert at it. Shouldn"t you be the one to know the answer to that question? Oh ya right, your stupid. Now it stands to reason.

Sorry bulproof it was there. It was to easy. You really do know how to leave yourself wide open for cheap pot shots.
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2015 7:50:08 PM

Religion has systematically opposed viable ideas that challenge its authority, and repeatedly cast independent thought, secularism and intellectual accountability as harbingers of the collapse of civilisation, so it has systematically worked to keep people confused, scared and ignorant. So some of the time at least, religion has deliberately tried to make people stupid, and keep them that way. That's a cruel and dangerous thing for any cultural institution to do.

But religion itself is a complex sociological category. You can have high levels of religious participation with low levels of religious belief; and vice-versa. Over-all, there is a loose inverse correlation between economic/education development and religiosity, but in practice it's not so simple, as the linked video shows.

Drawn from the World Values Survey, the linked video animates survey responses taken longitudinally for about 35 years, depicting two broad axes: a rational/secular vs traditional axis and a self-expression vs group-survival axis. Religiosity tends to be stronger in the lower part of the graph, and more conservative in the leftmost part. Secularism tends to be stronger in the upper part of the graph, and more progressive in the rightmost part. But you can have conservative secularism (e.g. Russia, Ukraine), or individualistic religiosity (e.g. US, Argentina.)

So it's complex, and as the animation shows, it's changing from a range of factors.
Outplayz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2015 8:49:57 PM

I'm sure it can be both. But, usually ignorant people are easier to indoctrinate. Well, not only them, people that blindly follow would fall under that category. For instance, most Muslims that i know haven't even read the Koran, more so, only know things in Arabic which they don't speak... and they still follow. Why? Bc they don't want to think about spiritual matter and "just" trust the people interpreting are telling the truth. They are just followers. Spiritually, they believe there is something more... however, this something more is tagged with the label they are born in. Intellectually, this is absurd. First rule of an intellectual is to make sure you are defining and making sense of the definitions... but, a lot are not intellectuals, just followers. So, are these people stupid? Not necessarily. But, spiritually... yeah.
lotsoffun
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2015 10:09:35 PM

Religion is what keeps us humans from coming together as one.
lotsoffun
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2015 10:09:35 PM

Religion is what keeps us humans from coming together as one.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2015 2:20:24 AM
At 12/23/2015 4:54:02 PM, DPMartin wrote:

Yes, but you are the poster child for stupid. You are the expert at it. Shouldn"t you be the one to know the answer to that question? Oh ya right, your stupid. Now it stands to reason.

Sorry bulproof it was there. It was to easy. You really do know how to leave yourself wide open for cheap pot shots.
You couldn't answer the question, you're religious, 'nuff said.