Jump to topic:

What are these Forums really?

InternetMinistry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2010 4:17:34 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Though I also welcome and prefer to edify privately with brethren, this topic is testimony about so-called ‘Christian Forums' which I've experienced first hand and how it relates to serving God. Because and without exception, in every forum I've seen, the ‘theme' is more to do with prohibiting the members' right to freedom of speech and character assassination against everyone that doesn't agree with someone else's "free speech". So they're not even true forums to begin with because a) there are so many rules restricting ‘true' free speech and b) many topics are being deleted without even allowing people to read them let alone ‘debate' them. :) In other words, the so-called ‘Christian' who created the forum has already pre-judged everyone by Their Rules including their brethren in trying to control everything to suit their own hidden agenda rather than simply letting it be a forum and trusting God's control (Galatians 1:10). Of course there is always heated debate, foul language and everything else like that in forums but Christians should know to expect this from those still in darkness and thus perhaps make it their mission to engage such individuals in God's sight rather than taking offense to their natural behavior and/or trying to get them banned from the forum which is also silly because how can you trap souls for God to clean if you ban them? ;) Indeed, God willing, I minister in several ungodly forums too where the F-word is the norm and almost Every topic/thread is met with hatred and anger no matter what, so you can't take it personally because we know the ungodly hate both believers and non-believers anyway "no matter what".

Ironically though, the ungodly forums are actually the most real and true forums because they reflect ‘real life' where everyone is truly being themselves probably and free speech is actually being completely respected for the most part. Whereas in typical so-called ‘Christian' forums, everyone cannot be their self because they exist there more so always under the threat of being banned/censored for "being themselves" and being fallible like anyone else in real life. And it inevitably turns into little more than a juvenile game of posturing with self-righteous believers hunting for and/or trying to catch other believers making mistakes, in their minds, with how or what they said so they can come down on them like a ton of bricks in merciless judgment and/or get them banned just to make themselves feel better. Thus, everyone is leery of everyone else, truth of any kind goes out the window, nothing constructive is accomplished and no one is serving God in any way. Indeed, I wonder what Jesus would have preached about today's Internet and ‘forums' in particular?
. . . con't.
End excerpt.
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2010 5:05:47 PM
Tip 1:

Never start out with a long excerpt. It's the equivalent of spam mail or a flyer. People will see that you only make 1 post and that conclude your post is likely copied and pasted from somewhere else. They detect that you put no effort into the post and as such, will make no effort to read it.

Tip 2:

Short, succinct statements that guide other people into discussion are better than walls of text that show what you believe.
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2010 5:30:10 PM
I think he thinks that Religion Forum = Christian Forum.

In any case I hope he doesn't stay.
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
InternetMinistry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2010 5:46:19 PM
Never start out with :

Yep, people sure do a-s-s-ume stupid things don't they especially the illiterate clowns who always post first on topics and because they're trolls with nothing more constructive to do with their life than spew their vulgar drivel as juveniles 'always' do? :)
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2010 5:49:59 PM
At 10/14/2010 5:46:19 PM, InternetMinistry wrote:
Never start out with :

Yep, people sure do a-s-s-ume stupid things don't they especially the illiterate clowns who always post first on topics and because they're trolls with nothing more constructive to do with their life than spew their vulgar drivel as juveniles 'always' do? :)

Yes, and there's no reason why a sensible person like yourself should have your thoughts ignored because you posted in a way similar to that of those "illiterate clowns".

Why don't you lead us into your beliefs step by step?
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2010 6:04:27 PM
At 10/14/2010 4:17:34 PM, InternetMinistry wrote:
And it inevitably turns into little more than a juvenile game of posturing...hunting for and/or trying to catch...mistakes, in their minds, with how or what they said so they can come down on them like a ton of bricks in merciless judgment..Thus, everyone is leery of everyone else, truth of any kind goes out the window, nothing constructive is accomplished.

I edited out the specifics about Christians, but this is a pretty insightful statement about DDO in general.

Discuss?

Rusty
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2010 6:49:39 PM
At 10/14/2010 5:46:19 PM, InternetMinistry wrote:
Never start out with :

"Indeed, God willing, I minister in several ungodly forums too where the F-word is the norm ..."

Lul.
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2010 6:55:40 PM
At 10/14/2010 6:04:27 PM, Kleptin wrote:
At 10/14/2010 4:17:34 PM, InternetMinistry wrote:
And it inevitably turns into little more than a juvenile game of posturing...hunting for and/or trying to catch...mistakes, in their minds, with how or what they said so they can come down on them like a ton of bricks in merciless judgment..Thus, everyone is leery of everyone else, truth of any kind goes out the window, nothing constructive is accomplished.

I edited out the specifics about Christians, but this is a pretty insightful statement about DDO in general.

Discuss?

No that is a good discussion. I have always thought that.

Everyone is so afraid of appearing wrong, but I have seen that if you objectify anything enough it can seem right in text, but as soon as you apply it to the real world it falls apart. In the formal debates I can see it's purpose, but that is a separate thing from just talking with people.

It makes this place boring and frustrating until you get into a conversation with someone that isn't like the rest, then it actually get's interesting and you can actually lean something.

I honestly don't like the formal debates, too much bull. I know this is a debate site and I think debates are good for those that actually consider them useful, but not all people are here for that. I'm not, I want to talk to people that I would normally never have the chance to interact with. I don't know anyone that can answer questions like yall can, the type of questions. I'm curious about how other people think that are different from me.

But it becomes pointless trying to talk to people here, well some of them. I actively try to avoid these people. I don't like to debate, but I accepted a challenge from one member here in the hopes that she would shut up with her gloating so the conversation could continue. It didn't work, some audacity and self worship can't be dealt with in any manner.

I try to not guard my beliefs in case some thinks thy are wrong. I have noticed I have because it becomes impossible to have a honest conversation around here. But maybe that can change, who knows.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2010 7:00:56 PM
At 10/14/2010 6:55:40 PM, jharry wrote:

Everyone is so afraid of appearing wrong, but I have seen that if you objectify anything enough it can seem right in text, but as soon as you apply it to the real world it falls apart. In the formal debates I can see it's purpose, but that is a separate thing from just talking with people.

Yeah, I came to that realization a little too late.

It makes this place boring and frustrating until you get into a conversation with someone that isn't like the rest, then it actually get's interesting and you can actually lean something.

There are a lot of people with great ideas, and a lot of things to be learned, but most of us here have such strong opinions that it's hard to open our minds.

I honestly don't like the formal debates, too much bull. I know this is a debate site and I think debates are good for those that actually consider them useful, but not all people are here for that. I'm not, I want to talk to people that I would normally never have the chance to interact with. I don't know anyone that can answer questions like yall can, the type of questions. I'm curious about how other people think that are different from me.

I feel the same way. That's why I've stopped debating. I much rather talk on the forums now. The flow is faster, you have more people participating, and if things run sour, you aren't obligated to participate.

But it becomes pointless trying to talk to people here, well some of them. I actively try to avoid these people. I don't like to debate, but I accepted a challenge from one member here in the hopes that she would shut up with her gloating so the conversation could continue. It didn't work, some audacity and self worship can't be dealt with in any manner.

HAHAHA, of course it won't work! Accepting the debate challenge will only fuel the flames.

I try to not guard my beliefs in case some thinks thy are wrong. I have noticed I have because it becomes impossible to have a honest conversation around here. But maybe that can change, who knows.

You have a good style of asking questions that seem to be seeking answers but are in reality an attempt to guide your interrogator towards your beliefs, without defending your own beliefs at all. I don't know if you know this, but it's the same method Socrates used.

jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2010 7:24:53 PM
At 10/14/2010 7:00:56 PM, Kleptin wrote:
At 10/14/2010 6:55:40 PM, jharry wrote:

Yeah, I came to that realization a little too late.

But you have a good advantage over me. You have been on both sides of this fence.You get to the point SO much better then I ever will because of your time doing this. I wish I could say things the way you do.

There are a lot of people with great ideas, and a lot of things to be learned, but most of us here have such strong opinions that it's hard to open our minds.

I know. I have learned a lot while being here. And the conversations can be so interesting, I hope more people will let down their guard and just be free to discuss any topic.

I feel the same way. That's why I've stopped debating. I much rather talk on the forums now. The flow is faster, you have more people participating, and if things run sour, you aren't obligated to participate.

Yep. If you run into a turd you can just walk away. I like it better because most days i get a minute here or there, other days I can spend more time. In a formal debate you can't do this. And there is more space to explore more ideas, three rounds just aint enough time or space.

HAHAHA, of course it won't work! Accepting the debate challenge will only fuel the flames.

I thought it was worth a try.

You have a good style of asking questions that seem to be seeking answers but are in reality an attempt to guide your interrogator towards your beliefs, without defending your own beliefs at all. I don't know if you know this, but it's the same method Socrates used.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2010 12:21:52 AM
I miss him already. We need a good Christian troll.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2010 7:55:36 PM
At 10/15/2010 12:21:52 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
I miss him already. We need a good Christian troll.

I know, need some to off set all the atheist trolls. :)
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2010 12:28:26 AM
I don't think that those sort of characteristics of this site will change. By the nature of its name, every conversation is painted with a tint of competition. It makes people divergent and dogmatic in pursuit of being right as opposed to finding the answer to a given question.

It's easy to accept this because I learn when I come here; there is a whole lot of interesting information interspersed throughout these forums. I don't really debate because I'm not very persuasive, but I will argue to draw more foundation out of a belief.