Total Posts:50|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Do Atheists go to church? Why or why not?

bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2015 3:48:17 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/28/2015 3:17:45 PM, IntellectVsSpirit5000 wrote:
I have heard of Atheists who do not believe, yet they go to church anyway. Why is that?

What is it about theists that prevents them understanding the definitions of words, especially words as simply defined as atheist?
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2015 3:54:07 PM
I have heard of Atheists who do not believe, yet they go to church anyway. Why is that?

Well lets see...

I went to a Catholic midnight mass this Christmas. Reasons?
1) My sister was in town (agnostic) she likes the music and history.
2) My wife wanted my son to see the pageantry
3) It is entertaining

I go to the Unitarian church (some times regularly)
1) They are happy to have atheists
2) The discussion (sometimes arguing) is stimulating
3) It is entertaining

Helpful?
TheGreatAndPowerful
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2015 5:50:09 PM

It's where they hold the Cub Scout meetings.
Double_R
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2015 3:12:32 AM

I go to church when I visit my family down south. Why? Because I am down there to spend time with them, and the church itself is very casual so they focus on helpful and inspirational passages from the bible as opposed to shoving religion down your throat.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2015 3:36:14 AM
I might start attending church regularly soon. I do pop in from time to time, but I'll be dammed if I tell anyone their I'm an atheist, despite the fact that half of them are pretending, just like I am
EtrnlVw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2015 1:51:03 PM
At 12/29/2015 3:36:14 AM, Wylted wrote:
I might start attending church regularly soon. I do pop in from time to time, but I'll be dammed if I tell anyone their I'm an atheist, despite the fact that half of them are pretending, just like I am

Why pretend? what's the point? Wouldn't it be easier to say...apply some things? that way you wouldn't be pretending..... you could even take it one step further and open up about your atheism, but be prepared to be flexible. All the Christians I know would love you and give you whatever you needed.
What is it about atheism that would be preventing you from anything? You honestly believe it is truth? How can you stand to remain in a position that molds you and limits your potential, you have no idea what you're worth and how you could aid people in finding their way, even believers, that would be something you would find much pleasure in I think whether it be through your knowledge or your own insights.

Also don't forget it's not all about church, there is a source for your own growth.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2015 1:54:06 PM
At 12/29/2015 1:51:03 PM, EtrnlVw wrote:

Why pretend? what's the point? Wouldn't it be easier to say...apply some things? that way you wouldn't be pretending..... you could even take it one step further and open up about your atheism, but be prepared to be flexible. All the Christians I know would love you and give you whatever you needed.
What is it about atheism that would be preventing you from anything? You honestly believe it is truth? How can you stand to remain in a position that molds you and limits your potential, you have no idea what you're worth and how you could aid people in finding their way, even believers, that would be something you would find much pleasure in I think whether it be through your knowledge or your own insights.

Also don't forget it's not all about church, there is a source for your own growth.

Yeah, I just have specific aims I want to accomplish, and they could help. It's a Makiavelian concept, that I don't care to get into
EtrnlVw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2015 2:07:58 PM
At 12/29/2015 1:54:06 PM, Wylted wrote:

Yeah, I just have specific aims I want to accomplish, and they could help. It's a Makiavelian concept, that I don't care to get into

Don't tell me it's a girl lol? Nvmnd you don't want to get into it.

Anyway you don't give a rats butt about spirituality? are you a firm atheist?
EtrnlVw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2015 2:13:49 PM
At 12/28/2015 3:54:07 PM, TBR wrote:

Well lets see...

3) It is entertaining

3) It is entertaining

Helpful?

Lol which one did you like better?
Have you ever been to a non denominational setting or bible study/prayer meeting before?
EtrnlVw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2015 2:18:18 PM
At 12/29/2015 3:12:32 AM, Double_R wrote:

I go to church when I visit my family down south. Why? Because I am down there to spend time with them, and the church itself is very casual so they focus on helpful and inspirational passages from the bible as opposed to shoving religion down your throat.

Do you know people who shove religion down your throat personally? I've met a few muslims that became kind of pushy but most believers I know are pretty laid back, but you would think from reading the forum here Christians are devils lol. There are some real jerks here though, but I think it has more to do with the nature of debating, this is not normal behavior from real life that I can see.
EtrnlVw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2015 2:21:13 PM
At 12/29/2015 2:07:58 PM, EtrnlVw wrote:

I'll take that as a yes.....
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2015 2:34:18 PM

Not a girl. That would be pathetic on my part. I'm not a strong atheist. I do acknowledge, that it's possible I'm wrong
EtrnlVw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2015 2:55:19 PM
At 12/29/2015 2:34:18 PM, Wylted wrote:

Not a girl. That would be pathetic on my part. I'm not a strong atheist. I do acknowledge, that it's possible I'm wrong

Okay. May I ask what kind of Church?
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2015 3:24:16 PM
At 12/29/2015 2:55:19 PM, EtrnlVw wrote:

A big one. Any kind.
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2015 3:30:48 PM

It is to be with happy people for a change. Church going Christians are generally happier people.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com...
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2015 4:56:53 PM
At 12/29/2015 2:13:49 PM, EtrnlVw wrote:

Well lets see...

3) It is entertaining

3) It is entertaining

Helpful?

Have you ever been to a non denominational setting or bible study/prayer meeting before?

I have been to many churches. They track, for me, about the way you might guess.

Undoubtedly the most despicable display I have ever seen are in the Megachurch environment. I have been to a number. Strangest? In California a new one kicked off in a warehouse very near my house. It was like a King of the Hill episode with the skateboarding minister.

The Unitarians are a hilarious group. They are almost entirely made up of Librarians, professors, HS teachers and engineers - in that order. I think its about 40% librarians. They wear the most unassuming cloths, almost all in some shade of brown. They love to argue, but are truly accepting of every person.
EtrnlVw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2015 7:20:40 PM
At 12/29/2015 4:56:53 PM, TBR wrote:

Well lets see...

3) It is entertaining

3) It is entertaining

Helpful?

I have been to many churches. They track, for me, about the way you might guess.

I favor the small groups where there is more freedom and personal contact. People tend to need answers and in large environments they may get lost in the mix. I started attending a small prayer meeting when I was younger, the atmosphere can be more approachable.

Undoubtedly the most despicable display I have ever seen are in the Megachurch environment. I have been to a number. Strangest? In California a new one kicked off in a warehouse very near my house. It was like a King of the Hill episode with the skateboarding minister.

Lol, what is it that is despicable? I'm not a member of any megachurch or denominations so I don't know what goes on there.

The Unitarians are a hilarious group. They are almost entirely made up of Librarians, professors, HS teachers and engineers - in that order. I think its about 40% librarians. They wear the most unassuming cloths, almost all in some shade of brown. They love to argue, but are truly accepting of every person.
EtrnlVw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2015 7:22:38 PM
At 12/29/2015 3:24:16 PM, Wylted wrote:

A big one. Any kind.

You have my curiosity but if you don't want to discuss fine. Usually people around here can't seem to get enough answers! you I can't get to talk lol...
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2015 8:04:27 PM
At 12/29/2015 7:20:40 PM, EtrnlVw wrote:

Well lets see...

3) It is entertaining

3) It is entertaining

Helpful?

I favor the small groups where there is more freedom and personal contact. People tend to need answers and in large environments they may get lost in the mix. I started attending a small prayer meeting when I was younger, the atmosphere can be more approachable.

Lol, what is it that is despicable? I'm not a member of any megachurch or denominations so I don't know what goes on there.

There is no description that does justice to the pandering that happens in a megachurch. It is entertainment with a little Christianity, and not the good stuff.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2015 8:07:23 PM
At 12/29/2015 7:22:38 PM, EtrnlVw wrote:

A big one. Any kind.

You have my curiosity but if you don't want to discuss fine. Usually people around here can't seem to get enough answers! you I can't get to talk lol...

It's complicated. I could tell you in a PM
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2015 8:12:51 PM
At 12/29/2015 8:07:23 PM, Wylted wrote:

A big one. Any kind.

Just saying again... Unitarians like Atheists. No. I am serious. There is NO problem walking right into a Unitarian church and saying "I am an atheist, and doubt I will ever change". They will say something like "OK, well, we have coffee if you would like some"

Goofiest people on earth.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2015 8:14:03 PM

A big one. Any kind.

They do this.

"The blessing of the Animals"
http://youtu.be...
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2015 8:25:32 PM
At 12/29/2015 8:12:51 PM, TBR wrote:

A big one. Any kind.

Just saying again... Unitarians like Atheists. No. I am serious. There is NO problem walking right into a Unitarian church and saying "I am an atheist, and doubt I will ever change". They will say something like "OK, well, we have coffee if you would like some"

Goofiest people on earth.

Perhaps, I'll try that out first
Double_R
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2015 3:04:24 AM
At 12/29/2015 2:18:18 PM, EtrnlVw wrote:

Do you know people who shove religion down your throat personally? I've met a few muslims that became kind of pushy but most believers I know are pretty laid back, but you would think from reading the forum here Christians are devils lol. There are some real jerks here though, but I think it has more to do with the nature of debating, this is not normal behavior from real life that I can see.

I have to listen to religious nuts preach on the subway all the time, but other than that I rarely come across people who I would say "shove religion down my throat". I have come across many however (mostly relatives) that can't seem to talk for more than ten minutes without referring to God or Jesus or spirituality or whatever, and I genuinely believe would either never speak to me again or never stop preaching to me if they knew I was an atheist.

My comment however was more directed at the church. I like the church my sisters and mother go to because it is more inspiring and entertaining. I have gone to church with my aunt and that was terrible. As soon as I walked in I had to wash my hands in holy water, and after taking a seat had to kneel down like 4 times during the service to pray. Hope I don't find myself there again.
EtrnlVw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2015 1:25:11 PM
At 12/30/2015 3:04:24 AM, Double_R wrote:
At 12/29/2015 2:18:18 PM, EtrnlVw wrote:

I have to listen to religious nuts preach on the subway all the time, but other than that I rarely come across people who I would say "shove religion down my throat". I have come across many however (mostly relatives) that can't seem to talk for more than ten minutes without referring to God or Jesus or spirituality or whatever, and I genuinely believe would either never speak to me again or never stop preaching to me if they knew I was an atheist.

Ehh, it's like all other things...if one likes music they never shut up about bands, instruments, songs ect...if one likes health and fitness they never stop subtly hinting to exercise or eat right.....if one likes history they never stop boring you to death with history lessons.....lol you get the point...
Spiritual people or Christians like to gib gab about that stuff all the time, it's not specific to theism it's just how people are, it's our nature to express the things we desire most of course, otherwise all the variety we would lose.

My comment however was more directed at the church. I like the church my sisters and mother go to because it is more inspiring and entertaining. I have gone to church with my aunt and that was terrible. As soon as I walked in I had to wash my hands in holy water, and after taking a seat had to kneel down like 4 times during the service to pray. Hope I don't find myself there again.

LOL, wow, talk about approachable. Yeah, systems, churches and organizations have a tendency to get caught up in weird rules and rigid thinking. I mean I totally understand having to have some form and control but personally that is why I enjoy more personal fellowship. Where people may share and receive.
You can see Jesus and the disciples/prophets and in the book of Acts moving in this way.
EtrnlVw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2015 1:27:14 PM

A big one. Any kind.

Oh I appreciate that, it's not my business of course but if it's something you wish to share please do so in PM. Are my P.M's open? I know some people turn the function off...
EtrnlVw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2015 1:35:58 PM
At 12/29/2015 8:04:27 PM, TBR wrote:

Well lets see...

3) It is entertaining

3) It is entertaining

Helpful?

There is no description that does justice to the pandering that happens in a megachurch. It is entertainment with a little Christianity, and not the good stuff.

What do you feel/think about people getting together for the purpose of acquiring spirituality, by sharing and learning, by being open and letting things happen and flow as they would? Are you opposed to opening up with spiritual folks? would you let people pray for you or things of that nature lol?

I'm asking because it seems to me it is just entertainment for you to sit through, but have you tried to pursue something more realistic? obviously you understand the difference between real Christianity/spirituality and entertainment....
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2015 2:55:24 PM
At 12/30/2015 1:35:58 PM, EtrnlVw wrote:

Well lets see...

3) It is entertaining

3) It is entertaining

Helpful?

What do you feel/think about people getting together for the purpose of acquiring spirituality, by sharing and learning, by being open and letting things happen and flow as they would? Are you opposed to opening up with spiritual folks? would you let people pray for you or things of that nature lol?

I'm asking because it seems to me it is just entertainment for you to sit through, but have you tried to pursue something more realistic? obviously you understand the difference between real Christianity/spirituality and entertainment....

People may do what they like. Get together if they please. Religion when it is not interfering with others is fine. Many of the faithful agree, but seem to completely forget about it almost all the time. They base political and personal interactions around their faith, and insert additional arrogance because of the very fact it is attached with religion. That is what I dislike most about religion. Opening up to with spiritual folks? Like talking about my wife or child? Sure. About mysticism? I talk to people about that plenty.

Now. The pray for you. I dislike it intensely. Starting when I was young, people said this sort of thing. It is a soft club. Passive aggressive nastyness. If you want to pray for me, you can do so without telling me. The only reason for making the announcement is to manipulate and insult.
EtrnlVw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2015 11:18:56 PM
At 12/30/2015 2:55:24 PM, TBR wrote:
At 12/30/2015 1:35:58 PM, EtrnlVw wrote:

Well lets see...

3) It is entertaining

3) It is entertaining

Helpful?

People may do what they like. Get together if they please. Religion when it is not interfering with others is fine. Many of the faithful agree, but seem to completely forget about it almost all the time. They base political and personal interactions around their faith, and insert additional arrogance because of the very fact it is attached with religion. That is what I dislike most about religion. Opening up to with spiritual folks? Like talking about my wife or child? Sure. About mysticism? I talk to people about that plenty.

I wasn't asking about other people.

Now. The pray for you. I dislike it intensely. Starting when I was young, people said this sort of thing. It is a soft club. Passive aggressive nastyness. If you want to pray for me, you can do so without telling me. The only reason for making the announcement is to manipulate and insult.

Praying for you should be something you are comfortable with and open to, it is the insight other believers have that you may not see, it is not an insult or a passive aggressive nastyness, nothing to do with any of that.