Total Posts:12|Showing Posts:1-12
Jump to topic:

This is what happens...

dhardage
Posts: 4,545
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2015 3:59:31 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
..when religion takes control. It demands unquestioning obedience and punishes anyone who disagrees by whatever means are available.

http://www.nytimes.com...
Harikrish
Posts: 11,005
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2015 4:08:45 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/29/2015 3:59:31 PM, dhardage wrote:
..when religion takes control. It demands unquestioning obedience and punishes anyone who disagrees by whatever means are available.

http://www.nytimes.com...

The man was an infidel in a country that is hard on infidels.
dhardage
Posts: 4,545
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2015 4:51:38 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
He's in a country with a constitution that guarantees freedom of religion that theists have subverted.
DPMartin
Posts: 1,096
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2015 6:05:46 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/29/2015 3:59:31 PM, dhardage wrote:
..when religion takes control. It demands unquestioning obedience and punishes anyone who disagrees by whatever means are available.

http://www.nytimes.com...

The Nazis used a religion they made up and the power of government to murder as many of the weaker that did not serve them or their purposes. But they used those things to fulfill what they desired to do, whether that religion existed or not. No different, the secular are in power in the US of A and they use military might against anything they see is a threat to their desires and will, such as getting oil out of the middle east. No religion necessary there, is there?

It a manipulation of what the public believes, whether it"s a religion or not is irrelevant. It"s whether they will respond as anticipated or not, because people do according to what they believe.
Geogeer
Posts: 4,227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2015 6:37:40 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/29/2015 3:59:31 PM, dhardage wrote:
..when religion takes control. It demands unquestioning obedience and punishes anyone who disagrees by whatever means are available.

http://www.nytimes.com...

Queue Stalin & Mao rebuttal.
dhardage
Posts: 4,545
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2015 7:34:49 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/29/2015 6:37:40 PM, Geogeer wrote:
At 12/29/2015 3:59:31 PM, dhardage wrote:
..when religion takes control. It demands unquestioning obedience and punishes anyone who disagrees by whatever means are available.

http://www.nytimes.com...

Queue Stalin & Mao rebuttal.

Both political philosophies of total obedience with one human as a god-like figure at the top of the pyramid. Still doesn't justify what is happening to this man and the others that point out the contradictory things about a religion in a nation that is supposed to support freedom of speech.
Geogeer
Posts: 4,227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2015 7:47:28 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/29/2015 7:34:49 PM, dhardage wrote:
At 12/29/2015 6:37:40 PM, Geogeer wrote:
At 12/29/2015 3:59:31 PM, dhardage wrote:
..when religion takes control. It demands unquestioning obedience and punishes anyone who disagrees by whatever means are available.

http://www.nytimes.com...

Queue Stalin & Mao rebuttal.

Both political philosophies of total obedience with one human as a god-like figure at the top of the pyramid. Still doesn't justify what is happening to this man and the others that point out the contradictory things about a religion in a nation that is supposed to support freedom of speech.

Then say that instead of making it a sweeping condemnation of religion. Your hyperbole nullifies the strength of your argument.
dhardage
Posts: 4,545
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2015 7:51:44 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/29/2015 7:47:28 PM, Geogeer wrote:
At 12/29/2015 7:34:49 PM, dhardage wrote:
At 12/29/2015 6:37:40 PM, Geogeer wrote:
At 12/29/2015 3:59:31 PM, dhardage wrote:
..when religion takes control. It demands unquestioning obedience and punishes anyone who disagrees by whatever means are available.

http://www.nytimes.com...

Queue Stalin & Mao rebuttal.

Both political philosophies of total obedience with one human as a god-like figure at the top of the pyramid. Still doesn't justify what is happening to this man and the others that point out the contradictory things about a religion in a nation that is supposed to support freedom of speech.

Then say that instead of making it a sweeping condemnation of religion. Your hyperbole nullifies the strength of your argument.

Hardly. It only shows that religion is just a political philosophy that demands total obedience based on the supposed existence of a supreme being or beings that have one or more human beings as the spokesperson, supposedly speaking for him. The only difference is the rationalization for demanding obedience and killing those who don't. Organized religion at its worst, as this is, is nothing different from Stalinism or Maoism. It's just dressed in prettier clothes.
RuvDraba
Posts: 6,033
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2015 8:47:05 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/29/2015 3:59:31 PM, dhardage wrote:
..when religion takes control. It demands unquestioning obedience and punishes anyone who disagrees by whatever means are available.
And yet, fundamentally, the Muslim nationalists are right.

Historically, the expansion of their faith has been less from the quality of its morality than from its historical appeal to nationalism. So they may well be serving the growth of their faith more through nationalistic brutality than they could through tolerance, kindness and self-restraint.

And the Muslims who denounce the brutality seldom denounce the religious nationalism that inflames it, because most have been raised to support it as an article of faith. Which is why Muslim nationalism is eating like a cancer at the rule of law in countries where I believe, most Muslim citizens are of good will, and genuinely desire (and of course deserve) peace and justice.

They can't see the problem, but fortunately, some brave people like Asif Mohiuddin can.

What a tragedy that peaceful citizens of good will are too conflicted by nationalistic ambitions to protect their own.
dhardage
Posts: 4,545
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2015 9:12:50 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/29/2015 8:47:05 PM, RuvDraba wrote:
At 12/29/2015 3:59:31 PM, dhardage wrote:
..when religion takes control. It demands unquestioning obedience and punishes anyone who disagrees by whatever means are available.
And yet, fundamentally, the Muslim nationalists are right.

Historically, the expansion of their faith has been less from the quality of its morality than from its historical appeal to nationalism. So they may well be serving the growth of their faith more through nationalistic brutality than they could through tolerance, kindness and self-restraint.

And the Muslims who denounce the brutality seldom denounce the religious nationalism that inflames it, because most have been raised to support it as an article of faith. Which is why Muslim nationalism is eating like a cancer at the rule of law in countries where I believe, most Muslim citizens are of good will, and genuinely desire (and of course deserve) peace and justice.

They can't see the problem, but fortunately, some brave people like Asif Mohiuddin can.

What a tragedy that peaceful citizens of good will are too conflicted by nationalistic ambitions to protect their own.

All that is necessary for evil to flourish is that good men do nothing.
RuvDraba
Posts: 6,033
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2015 9:59:31 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/29/2015 9:12:50 PM, dhardage wrote:
At 12/29/2015 8:47:05 PM, RuvDraba wrote:
At 12/29/2015 3:59:31 PM, dhardage wrote:
..when religion takes control. It demands unquestioning obedience and punishes anyone who disagrees by whatever means are available.
And yet, fundamentally, the Muslim nationalists are right.

Historically, the expansion of their faith has been less from the quality of its morality than from its historical appeal to nationalism. So they may well be serving the growth of their faith more through nationalistic brutality than they could through tolerance, kindness and self-restraint.

And the Muslims who denounce the brutality seldom denounce the religious nationalism that inflames it, because most have been raised to support it as an article of faith. Which is why Muslim nationalism is eating like a cancer at the rule of law in countries where I believe, most Muslim citizens are of good will, and genuinely desire (and of course deserve) peace and justice.

They can't see the problem, but fortunately, some brave people like Asif Mohiuddin can.

What a tragedy that peaceful citizens of good will are too conflicted by nationalistic ambitions to protect their own.

All that is necessary for evil to flourish is that good men do nothing.
Indeed, and further, good men cannot achieve good with sloppy thought.

Thus, it serves evil to keep good men confused, conflicted and anxious but fundamentally self-satisfied.

Hence the evils of Abrahamic monotheism.
dhardage
Posts: 4,545
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2015 10:04:22 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/29/2015 9:59:31 PM, RuvDraba wrote:
At 12/29/2015 9:12:50 PM, dhardage wrote:
At 12/29/2015 8:47:05 PM, RuvDraba wrote:
At 12/29/2015 3:59:31 PM, dhardage wrote:
..when religion takes control. It demands unquestioning obedience and punishes anyone who disagrees by whatever means are available.
And yet, fundamentally, the Muslim nationalists are right.

Historically, the expansion of their faith has been less from the quality of its morality than from its historical appeal to nationalism. So they may well be serving the growth of their faith more through nationalistic brutality than they could through tolerance, kindness and self-restraint.

And the Muslims who denounce the brutality seldom denounce the religious nationalism that inflames it, because most have been raised to support it as an article of faith. Which is why Muslim nationalism is eating like a cancer at the rule of law in countries where I believe, most Muslim citizens are of good will, and genuinely desire (and of course deserve) peace and justice.

They can't see the problem, but fortunately, some brave people like Asif Mohiuddin can.

What a tragedy that peaceful citizens of good will are too conflicted by nationalistic ambitions to protect their own.

All that is necessary for evil to flourish is that good men do nothing.
Indeed, and further, good men cannot achieve good with sloppy thought.

Thus, it serves evil to keep good men confused, conflicted and anxious but fundamentally self-satisfied.

Hence the evils of Abrahamic monotheism.

Particularly as practiced here in the U.S. I fear greatly for our nation if any of those supported by the religious right get elected as President.