Jump to topic:

Religious Essay

annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2010 10:36:23 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
So, I have to compete in this nation wide competition for the First Freedom Center, and this is the topic that I'm supposed to write an essay on:

TOPIC: The United States has become a country of great religious diversity. The treatment of religious minorities is considered by many to be the true measure of a government's guarantee of religious freedom.

1. Select a religion or belief group from your local community, state or region that was or is a minority group. (If you are not currently living in the United States, select a U.S. locality that you have lived in. If you are participating in an international-studies program and have not lived in the United States, select any state or region, perhaps one where a family member or friend lives.)

2. Research and analyze its history as it encounters issues of religious freedom and equality.

3. Research and evaluate how this group's local history compares to the broader narrative of U.S. history and First Amendment law.

4. Has this group fully realized its freedom of religion and belief?

I have no idea where to even begin... Any ideas or advice? Any certain religious groups that people find to be interesting enough to write 15 pages on? :/
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2010 10:43:57 PM
At 10/15/2010 10:36:23 PM, annhasle wrote:
So, I have to compete in this nation wide competition for the First Freedom Center, and this is the topic that I'm supposed to write an essay on:

TOPIC: The United States has become a country of great religious diversity. The treatment of religious minorities is considered by many to be the true measure of a government's guarantee of religious freedom.

1. Select a religion or belief group from your local community, state or region that was or is a minority group. (If you are not currently living in the United States, select a U.S. locality that you have lived in. If you are participating in an international-studies program and have not lived in the United States, select any state or region, perhaps one where a family member or friend lives.)

2. Research and analyze its history as it encounters issues of religious freedom and equality.

3. Research and evaluate how this group's local history compares to the broader narrative of U.S. history and First Amendment law.

I have no idea where to even begin... Any ideas or advice? Any certain religious groups that people find to be interesting enough to write 15 pages on? :/

Druids.
Freeman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2010 10:45:30 PM

We (the citizens of the United States, and people around the world) owe a great deal of gratitude to the Jehovah's witnesses for fighting so continuously in the Supreme Court for our religious and political freedoms. Among many other things, they are the reason we can go around handing out religious, anti-religious, or political propaganda in public areas.

They might make an interesting case study.
Chancellor of Propaganda and Foreign Relations in the Franklin administration.

"I intend to live forever. So far, so good." -- Steven Wright
Freeman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2010 10:49:56 PM
At 10/15/2010 10:43:57 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:

Druids.

Pagans are also a fun group, which makes me wonder why Christians use to kill them so often.

annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2010 10:59:19 PM
I'm not allowed to research Paganism, Catholicism, Wicca or Buddhism. Apparently, I have to choose something I have no knowledge of. So I lied and said I only knew those four...

So, druids are out. Jehovah Witnesses is an interesting idea though...
Freeman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2010 11:12:37 PM
At 10/15/2010 10:59:19 PM, annhasle wrote:
I'm not allowed to research Paganism, Catholicism, Wicca or Buddhism. Apparently, I have to choose something I have no knowledge of. So I lied and said I only knew those four...

Well, if you're willing to go out on a limb, there's this guy that runs a ufo cult. He's kind of funny, and his name is Claude Vorilhon. His religious group is known as the raelians. When I lived in Seattle, I can't remember seeing them, but they might be somewhere around there.

Among other things, they want women to be allowed to go topless. I'm not going to post anything here, but you can find some of their protests on youtube.

annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2010 11:15:58 PM
At 10/15/2010 11:12:37 PM, Freeman wrote:

Well, if you're willing to go out on a limb, there's this guy that runs a ufo cult. He's kind of funny, and his name is Claude Vorilhon. His religious group is known as the raelians.

Only you would know about a cult like this.... Lol

When I lived in Seattle, I can't remember seeing them, but they might be somewhere around there.

You lived in Seattle? Anyways, I bet I could find them here. Seattle is a hot spot for those with... alternative lifestyles. ;)

Among other things, they want women to be allowed to go topless. I'm not going to post anything here, but you can find some of their protests on youtube.

Yeah, that's a good idea. We don't need another person blocked. Thanks though! I'll look into it...
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2010 11:20:50 PM
At 10/15/2010 11:18:16 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
Talk to Geo, I dunno.

Why Geo?
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2010 11:24:10 PM
At 10/15/2010 11:20:50 PM, annhasle wrote:
I've never heard Geo go on about the intergalactic Illuminati Reptilians...

Really?... you should.. He really knows what he's talkin bout. 8)
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2010 11:25:59 PM
At 10/15/2010 11:24:10 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
At 10/15/2010 11:20:50 PM, annhasle wrote:
I've never heard Geo go on about the intergalactic Illuminati Reptilians...

Really?... you should.. He really knows what he's talkin bout. 8)

LOL Well, if he's got 'proof' besides paranoid conspiracies, I'll listen. I give other religions about the same amount of credibility! ;)
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2010 11:29:10 PM
At 10/15/2010 11:15:58 PM, annhasle wrote:
Well, if you're willing to go out on a limb, there's this guy that runs a ufo cult. He's kind of funny, and his name is Claude Vorilhon. His religious group is known as the raelians.

oh, for some reason I thought Cody Franklin's response was in response to this ..

but now I see it was just about Religions...

That's b/c he's been through the mill with religions and apparently enjoys learning about them.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
Freeman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2010 11:30:15 PM
At 10/15/2010 11:15:58 PM, annhasle wrote:

I'm fascinated by people's religious beliefs.

When I lived in Seattle, I can't remember seeing them, but they might be somewhere around there.

You lived in Seattle? Anyways, I bet I could find them here. Seattle is a hot spot for those with... alternative lifestyles. ;)

Yeah, Seattle is really diverse ethnically, politically, religiously etc. The word "alternative" barely begins to scratch the surface of that diversity.

Yeah, that's a good idea. We don't need another person blocked. Thanks though! I'll look into it...

Veridas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2010 12:54:47 AM

Dude, find a stoner somewhere and just write an essay on the Jedi.
What fresh dickery is the internet up to today?
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2010 1:02:13 AM

Why not use atheists? I think it is a valid group, they are apparently persecuted... a concept I find bizarre.

You will need to justify your choice.
Define atheism.
Contrast it with agnosticism, deism, etc.
Interview several atheists.

That could fill 15 pages I am sure.

The other option would be Islam, very topical, very controversial, and probably exactly what the competition organisers want you to be talk about.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2010 2:22:59 AM
There are some really good examples of interesting religious history and interaction with the more mainstream majority, one of the most fascinating is the Amish. Mormonism had an interesting history too, with their supreme court case on polygamy and religious freedom. There are the shakers as well. The Unitarians are kind of interesting because they mostly started from existentialism with Thoreau and Emerson. They avoided being Christian, but still stayed within the established majority.
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2010 4:07:20 AM
http://www.debate.org...
Minister Of Trolling
: At 12/6/2011 2:21:41 PM, badger wrote:
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
: ...and well, he wasn't really prettier than me. he just had nice hair.
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2010 10:01:28 AM
At 10/16/2010 2:22:59 AM, innomen wrote:
There are some really good examples of interesting religious history and interaction with the more mainstream majority, one of the most fascinating is the Amish.

That could work... Only problem is that Washington doesn't have a really big 'Amish' population... I think Idaho might have a significant amount so I'll see if I can use Northwest as a 'region' instead of my state.

Mormonism had an interesting history too, with their supreme court case on polygamy and religious freedom.

That was one of my first thoughts. Could be interesting... Are there any Mormons on DDO?

There are the shakers as well.

But are they 'modern'? I haven't really heard of there being a Shaker group in recent decades. >_<

The Unitarians are kind of interesting because they mostly started from existentialism with Thoreau and Emerson. They avoided being Christian, but still stayed within the established majority.

Hmm, I hadn't thought about them. I think Mormonism would be easier to connect to the requirements for 'religious freedom' but the Unitarians are an interesting bunch of people. It is tempting, as well.

Thanks, innomen!
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2010 10:35:25 AM
At 10/16/2010 10:01:28 AM, annhasle wrote:
At 10/16/2010 2:22:59 AM, innomen wrote:
There are some really good examples of interesting religious history and interaction with the more mainstream majority, one of the most fascinating is the Amish.

That could work... Only problem is that Washington doesn't have a really big 'Amish' population... I think Idaho might have a significant amount so I'll see if I can use Northwest as a 'region' instead of my state.
Didn't realize it needed to be regional.

Mormonism had an interesting history too, with their supreme court case on polygamy and religious freedom.

That was one of my first thoughts. Could be interesting... Are there any Mormons on DDO?
Khavan and Strikeeagle, but i haven't seen Strikeeagle in a long while. Khavan shows up once in a while.

There are the shakers as well.

But are they 'modern'? I haven't really heard of there being a Shaker group in recent decades. >_<

Yeah, they had a celibacy rule, kind of cut down on their future plans. They died out.

The Unitarians are kind of interesting because they mostly started from existentialism with Thoreau and Emerson. They avoided being Christian, but still stayed within the established majority.

The Unitarians are interesting in how they had a pretty radical difference in theology with Christians, and remained a major part of the early establishment.

Hmm, I hadn't thought about them. I think Mormonism would be easier to connect to the requirements for 'religious freedom' but the Unitarians are an interesting bunch of people. It is tempting, as well.
Glad to help.

Thanks, innomen!
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2010 11:16:53 AM
Christian Scientists are everywhere and are sometimes in the news for refusing to provide medical treatment to their children. I'd go with them.

Scientology is another possibility.

Druids are distinct from Wiccans, but nobody knows what the ancient Druids really believed, and there are too few modern ones to be interesting.

A really interesting one are Deists, like Washington, Madison, and Jefferson. They do not believe in revelation, unlike Christians. There are not too many Deists around today, however.
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2010 11:25:45 AM
At 10/16/2010 11:16:53 AM, RoyLatham wrote:
Christian Scientists are everywhere and are sometimes in the news for refusing to provide medical treatment to their children. I'd go with them.

Ah, that is very strange. So, that could work!

Scientology is another possibility.

Yeah, I'd laugh too much and most likely rant halfway through about their absurd claims.

Druids are distinct from Wiccans, but nobody knows what the ancient Druids really believed, and there are too few modern ones to be interesting.

Oh, they definitely are. But Wicca is almost always connected with paganism, just like druids. It would be very interesting, don't get me wrong. I just don't think it would be accepted, especially since there aren't modern.

A really interesting one are Deists, like Washington, Madison, and Jefferson. They do not believe in revelation, unlike Christians. There are not too many Deists around today, however.

That would be interesting, especially since I just read a book called Moral Minority that is about deism and the Founding Fathers...

Thanks!

At the moment, Mormonism, Unitarianism, Deism and Atheism are my 'top choices' to write about....