Jump to topic:

Can you choose your beliefs?

DPMartin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2015 10:33:08 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
People believe all kinds of things true and not true, what do you think the answer to your question is?

If you believe your senses you believe the sun gives light on the earth and provides warmth. If you believe your experiences you believe water satisfies your need for it when you are thirsty, and keeps you alive, the same with food also. You could choose not to believe your senses and your experiences and die, though with sustenance and the sun that would be unlikely, it"s still the same when it comes to other things that can kill you, or keep you alive.
janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2015 10:36:24 PM
At 12/30/2015 10:33:08 PM, DPMartin wrote:
People believe all kinds of things true and not true, what do you think the answer to your question is?

I don't think people can choose their beliefs, although I think beliefs can change due to experience or evidence. Although really ingrained beliefs may not change even when provided with evidence to the contrary. Such as, I doubt I would change my belief that I have free will, even with hearing a good argument that everything is predestined, or even evidence for it.

If you believe your senses you believe the sun gives light on the earth and provides warmth. If you believe your experiences you believe water satisfies your need for it when you are thirsty, and keeps you alive, the same with food also. You could choose not to believe your senses and your experiences and die, though with sustenance and the sun that would be unlikely, it"s still the same when it comes to other things that can kill you, or keep you alive.
Benshapiro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2015 10:48:05 PM
We can choose our beliefs but we'll always have a certain degree of bias. How someone views evidence is often affected by their underlying worldviews. For me, I could probably never not believe in free will, the existence of moral truths, or convince me that the universe in which I live in isn't indicative of intelligent handiwork.
SevenDust
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2015 11:56:49 PM
At 12/30/2015 10:11:20 PM, janesix wrote:
Or is it totally out of your control what you believe?

Whatever indoctrination we possess or inheritance we conceive from our culture is what we believe in. But we must separate ourselves and become and individual in order to grow. So we either let the collective whole decide for us, or we become one with ourselves" The choice is ours.
Morality is of the highest importance - but for us, not for God.
Albert Einstein
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2015 12:05:12 AM

Of course you can choose your beliefs, hopefully on the basis of evidence and facts.

If you choose to pursue truth no matter how uncomfortable it may prove to be, then truth you will find.

But as with everything in life the choice is in the final analysis, yours.

If you choose to abdicate the responsibility of choosing so that others choose for you, that too is your choice.
DPMartin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2015 3:43:23 PM
At 12/30/2015 10:36:24 PM, janesix wrote:
At 12/30/2015 10:33:08 PM, DPMartin wrote:

I don't think people can choose their beliefs, although I think beliefs can change due to experience or evidence. Although really ingrained beliefs may not change even when provided with evidence to the contrary. Such as, I doubt I would change my belief that I have free will, even with hearing a good argument that everything is predestined, or even evidence for it.

That doesn"t seem to make sense.
Results are according to what is believed (whether it be true or false) because people do according to what they believe.
Hence, If you can"t choose your beliefs then you are predestined to a certain result. Therefore there is no free will in that scenario.

Revelation, or experience if you like, brings knowledge which is the acknowledgment of what was experienced or revealed. Whether it be acknowledged within one"s self or outwardly. But there are many who have received revelation, or experience and denied it, because it would destroy the life they love. Therefore people do choose to believe or not believe in what was told them or revealed to them. (Biblically the Pharisees are a example of denying what was revealed, they saw and heard everything and denied it)

Now in the context of a born again Christian and the Kingdom of God it is agreed and submitted to that it is God"s Judgement that is good for them, in their trust of the Lord their God, and free will is outside of the Kingdom of God.
EtrnlVw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2015 5:51:34 PM

Well obviously we learn some things from our surroundings and family while we take our first steps in the earth but as time marches on the individuality prevails like it always does, my kids are very independent in their thinking, pretty cool it kinda shows us the resilience of the human spirit. As long a kids are guided yet with freedom they will check everything out, it's our nature and curiosity. My kids don't just accept everything, they argue about everything lol.

Sorry to ramble but the answer is yes, of course. But more towards the point where we become independently thinking, able to draw conclusions for ourselves which in my case was around 7-9, I had already begun applying spiritual principles. I chose every step of the way and still do, so I see no reason to believe otherwise.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2015 5:58:57 PM
At 12/31/2015 5:51:34 PM, EtrnlVw wrote:

Well obviously we learn some things from our surroundings and family while we take our first steps in the earth but as time marches on the individuality prevails like it always does, my kids are very independent in their thinking, pretty cool it kinda shows us the resilience of the human spirit. As long a kids are guided yet with freedom they will check everything out, it's our nature and curiosity. My kids don't just accept everything, they argue about everything lol.

Sorry to ramble but the answer is yes, of course. But more towards the point where we become independently thinking, able to draw conclusions for ourselves which in my case was around 7-9, I had already begun applying spiritual principles. I chose every step of the way and still do, so I see no reason to believe otherwise.
Explain a spiritual principle.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
EtrnlVw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2015 6:01:06 PM
At 12/31/2015 5:58:57 PM, bulproof wrote:

You want an example or would you like me to explain it?

A principle is- a fundamental truth or proposition that serves as the foundation for a system of belief or behavior or for a chain of reasoning.

Now put spiritual in front of the word, same thing of course.
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2015 6:03:54 PM

Well, you can't choose your beliefs, but you can subject them to examination and that may change your beliefs.
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2015 6:08:40 PM
At 12/31/2015 6:01:06 PM, EtrnlVw wrote:

Reading comprehension gives you difficultyt I see.
A principle is- a fundamental truth or proposition that serves as the foundation for a system of belief or behavior or for a chain of reasoning.
Damn I wish I'd known that before.
And spiritual means any fantasy you wish to produce, they don't go together.
Perhaps you could Explain a spiritual principle.
EtrnlVw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2015 6:22:02 PM
At 12/31/2015 6:08:40 PM, bulproof wrote:

No, it's just that the question was stupid, I thought maybe I could offer you something better.

Then don't ask stupid questions...

I did, dummy. Read. A principle is a principle, it doesn't matter whether it is natural or spiritual.
EtrnlVw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2015 6:25:22 PM
At 12/31/2015 6:22:02 PM, EtrnlVw wrote:

No, it's just that the question was stupid, I thought maybe I could offer you something better.

I did, dummy. Read. A principle is a principle, it doesn't matter whether it is natural or spiritual.

Which is why I offered an example, but instead I answered your stupid question :) need anything else?
Chaosism
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2015 6:27:06 PM

Though I can put forth effort to delude myself, I can't outright choose what I perceive as true or false. If I could choose, I would just believe everything that I wanted to be true. I am skeptical, not by choice, and it apples to everything. For example, someone told me yesterday that the doctor said they were now cancer-free. As much as I want that to be true, I am aware that oversight and mistakes occur, so I am hesitant to accept this as true.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2015 6:30:36 PM

So what you are actually referring to is a fantasy principal.
Then perhaps you could explain that for us, since you failed to explain spiritual principle.
Do you see how just throwing words together like you do with your mythical "spiritual" is meaningless unless you can define the concepts you are fabricating?
Off you go, you have another chance, I hope you can do better.
EtrnlVw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2015 6:42:31 PM
At 12/31/2015 6:30:36 PM, bulproof wrote:

Then perhaps you could explain that for us, since you failed to explain spiritual principle.
Do you see how just throwing words together like you do with your mythical "spiritual" is meaningless unless you can define the concepts you are fabricating?

It's not my fault you don't comprehend words, get an education and learn how to read. If you don't know what a principle is, you are beyond words. A principle is a principle, it doesn't matter whether it's natural or spiritual. I offered an example but you are too silly to talk too.

No, I'm not referring to fantasy, this has been explained to you already...off ya go...
missmedic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2015 6:52:08 PM

All things we know about the world, we can express without referring to a belief.
If you don't know about something and you submit it to nothing but belief, it will likely prove false, beliefs and faiths do not establish "truths" or facts.
Knowledge, observation, rational thinking, curiosity, and skepticism trump beliefs every time.
However, if you have little or no education and do not know about the world, then beliefs serve as the next best thing to knowledge.
Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2015 8:53:15 PM
At 12/30/2015 10:48:05 PM, Benshapiro wrote:
We can choose our beliefs but we'll always have a certain degree of bias. How someone views evidence is often affected by their underlying worldviews. For me, I could probably never not believe in free will, the existence of moral truths, or convince me that the universe in which I live in isn't indicative of intelligent handiwork.

So which beliefs can we choose? Do you think there are only a range of beliefs it is within our power to choose to believe?
Benshapiro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2015 9:36:42 PM
At 12/31/2015 8:53:15 PM, Raisor wrote:
At 12/30/2015 10:48:05 PM, Benshapiro wrote:

So which beliefs can we choose? Do you think there are only a range of beliefs it is within our power to choose to believe?

Ultimately, we can choose all of our beliefs. A belief just means that you accept that something is true or exists. There isn't a limit on the range of beliefs to choose from but a certain range of beliefs are inherently irrational. The belief that I don't exist, for example, is an inherently irrational belief.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2016 6:45:56 AM
At 12/31/2015 6:42:31 PM, EtrnlVw wrote:

It's not my fault you don't comprehend words, get an education and learn how to read. If you don't know what a principle is, you are beyond words. A principle is a principle, it doesn't matter whether it's natural or spiritual. I offered an example but you are too silly to talk too.

No, I'm not referring to fantasy, this has been explained to you already...off ya go...

I ask him about spiritual and he continually yabbers on about principle, that must be because his word spiritual is meaningless, which was the result I touted for.
Thanks for proving your nonsense is nonsense.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2016 1:12:33 PM
At 1/1/2016 6:45:56 AM, bulproof wrote:

I ask him about spiritual and he continually yabbers on about principle, that must be because his word spiritual is meaningless, which was the result I touted for.

Nothing changes does it Bully, lol. the only weapon you have in your armoury is insult and invective.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2016 2:18:39 PM
At 1/1/2016 1:12:33 PM, MadCornishBiker wrote:

Nothing changes does it Bully, lol. the only weapon you have in your armoury is insult and invective.
hey braindead point out the insults.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2016 2:21:28 PM
At 12/30/2015 11:56:49 PM, SevenDust wrote:

Whatever indoctrination we possess or inheritance we conceive from our culture is what we believe in. But we must separate ourselves and become and individual in order to grow. So we either let the collective whole decide for us, or we become one with ourselves" The choice is ours.

Can you answer his question now?
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2016 2:26:03 PM
At 1/1/2016 2:18:39 PM, bulproof wrote:

Do you not see the irony in that statement? I can't figure out if you're really that stupid or if it's just an act that has gotten too old.

What are you, like in your 60s? Why do you still act this stupid? You must've been a blue collar worker or something also, it's clear you are not, nor ever could be, cut out for work in academia.
IntellectVsSpirit5000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2016 2:35:21 PM

Both. People overcome depression by challenging and changing negative beliefs. Brainwashing is real. It can be used wrongly or for good. You can brainwash yourself in good and bad ways. People can completely surround themselves with whatever they want and they will believe it more and more.

Beliefs can change like the wind through negative/positive imagery, patterened self talk, hypnosis, manipulation, brainwashing. Etc.

Many people who are depressed choose to be that way and don't realize it. They also don't realize how easy it is to change it and overcome it through your beliefs.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2016 3:08:49 PM

Yeah, I guessed you didn't know when you were doing it, lol.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2016 3:09:50 PM
At 1/1/2016 2:26:03 PM, Wylted wrote:

Do you not see the irony in that statement? I can't figure out if you're really that stupid or if it's just an act that has gotten too old.

What are you, like in your 60s? Why do you still act this stupid? You must've been a blue collar worker or something also, it's clear you are not, nor ever could be, cut out for work in academia.

Oh Bully isn't capable of acting. What you see is what you get, lol.
EtrnlVw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2016 3:45:02 PM

What you asked is in this thread and it does not match what you just lied about. You didn't say "explain spiritual" you said explain a spiritual principle in which I did and even offered an example. I also have explained spiritual many times, you can easily visit my topic "Spiritual Christianity". If you can prove you can retain some information that would be great, but you are just a weasel like DJR, just want to play little games and learn nothing. You are wrapped tightly in your little atheist bundle.
EtrnlVw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2016 3:48:14 PM
At 1/1/2016 2:26:03 PM, Wylted wrote:

Makes you wonder about people huh? what the heck is an old man doing stalking the religious forum harassing young people, what a creepo. You should of seen him 3 years ago, the only reason he isn't flat out behaving like a filthy pig anymore is because the hammer cam down.