Total Posts:12|Showing Posts:1-12
Jump to topic:

Isn't believing in God ultimately selfish?

fallenalien
Posts: 9
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2015 2:01:11 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
Why do we "lie" to kids and tell them there is Santa Clause? There is a easter bunny? That the actors dressed up at Disneyland are the real characters as to which they potray?

Is it envoke a sense of wonder and imagination? To give them the sense of more beauty then there really is? Because we want them to be happy?

Anyways thats something to think about.

But isn't seeking a relationship with God ultimately selfish? Im gunna assume God is real for a second. Would it not be accurate to say that we need God more then he needs us? What does God get from having a relationship with us besides feeling like a boss that he has all these people praying to and worshipping him? But on an individual level. We need God in our lives why?

To feel comforted? So we are USING God for comfort? So we wont be scared of the unknown? So we need God so we wont be scared? Or maybe its so we will be a 'good person'. So we need Gods wrath to scare us into being good? Is this not an abusive relationship? Are we not like that desperate person who has no other choice but to try and build a relationship with this God because nobody else wants us?

My point is, I think people believe in God so they will feel comfort, and wont be scared. It's all for personal gain. And its exactly what I would expect someone to do in a soulless world where they are scared, regardless if its real or not. God has no benefit if we have a relationship with him (besides power? recognition? idk), only we benefit. Because as humans we ultimately want to feel good and be happy. We dont want to believe in God so other humans have it better (which is what Jesus did, he sacrificed himself for man, apparently), no, we want to find purpose, happiness, and security for OURSELVES. I guarantee you church would be empty if the purpose was making everyone else comfortable but yourself.

You can believe in a creator but still live life and live like an athiest. Im talking about the christian who seeks a relationship with God and believes Jesus died for our sins.

All Im saying is, If I was a human leader of a world with no God, Christianity or any type of religion would be the perfect remedy to give people what they want, comfort. It would also make them ignore logic which would be good for me as a leader because that would mean i have more control. I can just tell them its Gods will or Gods plan. Lets say I decide I want to be super rich but that leaves everyone else poor. Its okay I just tell them they are blessed because God sees their suffering. Problem Solved.

I could go on but thats enough.
IntellectVsSpirit5000
Posts: 1,266
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2015 2:16:48 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/31/2015 2:01:11 AM, fallenalien wrote:
Why do we "lie" to kids and tell them there is Santa Clause? There is a easter bunny? That the actors dressed up at Disneyland are the real characters as to which they potray?

Is it envoke a sense of wonder and imagination? To give them the sense of more beauty then there really is? Because we want them to be happy?

Anyways thats something to think about.

But isn't seeking a relationship with God ultimately selfish? Im gunna assume God is real for a second. Would it not be accurate to say that we need God more then he needs us? What does God get from having a relationship with us besides feeling like a boss that he has all these people praying to and worshipping him? But on an individual level. We need God in our lives why?

To feel comforted? So we are USING God for comfort? So we wont be scared of the unknown? So we need God so we wont be scared? Or maybe its so we will be a 'good person'. So we need Gods wrath to scare us into being good? Is this not an abusive relationship? Are we not like that desperate person who has no other choice but to try and build a relationship with this God because nobody else wants us?

My point is, I think people believe in God so they will feel comfort, and wont be scared. It's all for personal gain. And its exactly what I would expect someone to do in a soulless world where they are scared, regardless if its real or not. God has no benefit if we have a relationship with him (besides power? recognition? idk), only we benefit. Because as humans we ultimately want to feel good and be happy. We dont want to believe in God so other humans have it better (which is what Jesus did, he sacrificed himself for man, apparently), no, we want to find purpose, happiness, and security for OURSELVES. I guarantee you church would be empty if the purpose was making everyone else comfortable but yourself.

You can believe in a creator but still live life and live like an athiest. Im talking about the christian who seeks a relationship with God and believes Jesus died for our sins.

All Im saying is, If I was a human leader of a world with no God, Christianity or any type of religion would be the perfect remedy to give people what they want, comfort. It would also make them ignore logic which would be good for me as a leader because that would mean i have more control. I can just tell them its Gods will or Gods plan. Lets say I decide I want to be super rich but that leaves everyone else poor. Its okay I just tell them they are blessed because God sees their suffering. Problem Solved.

I could go on but thats enough.

For starters, Jesus actually existed and walked the Earth even according to Atheist historians. The easter rabbit, santa, tooth fairy etc are yetto have made an actual appearance in history.

I don't do things out of fear. I do them because Christ was beautiful and is our teacher and friend. It's a better and happier way of life.

Hope? Better. Eternal life? Better. Wonder and awe? Better. Comfort? Better. No need for prozak? Better.
DebateLizard
Posts: 14
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2015 3:07:14 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
The easter rabbit doesn't exist? Prove it. Quit tossing out bs propaganda.
Those who deem themselves wise are the biggest fools of all.
MadCornishBiker
Posts: 23,302
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2015 1:02:36 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/31/2015 2:01:11 AM, fallenalien wrote:
Why do we "lie" to kids and tell them there is Santa Clause? There is a easter bunny? That the actors dressed up at Disneyland are the real characters as to which they potray?

Is it envoke a sense of wonder and imagination? To give them the sense of more beauty then there really is? Because we want them to be happy?

Anyways thats something to think about.

I have never understood why people need to lie.


But isn't seeking a relationship with God ultimately selfish? Im gunna assume God is real for a second. Would it not be accurate to say that we need God more then he needs us? What does God get from having a relationship with us besides feeling like a boss that he has all these people praying to and worshipping him? But on an individual level. We need God in our lives why?

Yes it would be right to say that we need him more than he needs us, but he is not in the least interested in anyone whose motivations are selfish.


To feel comforted? So we are USING God for comfort? So we wont be scared of the unknown? So we need God so we wont be scared? Or maybe its so we will be a 'good person'. So we need Gods wrath to scare us into being good? Is this not an abusive relationship? Are we not like that desperate person who has no other choice but to try and build a relationship with this God because nobody else wants us?

I do not use God for anything, I look to him to use me.


My point is, I think people believe in God so they will feel comfort, and wont be scared. It's all for personal gain. And its exactly what I would expect someone to do in a soulless world where they are scared, regardless if its real or not. God has no benefit if we have a relationship with him (besides power? recognition? idk), only we benefit. Because as humans we ultimately want to feel good and be happy. We dont want to believe in God so other humans have it better (which is what Jesus did, he sacrificed himself for man, apparently), no, we want to find purpose, happiness, and security for OURSELVES. I guarantee you church would be empty if the purpose was making everyone else comfortable but yourself.

Unfortunately that is true for many, but those who are simply looking for comfort inevitably end up serving the wrong god..


You can believe in a creator but still live life and live like an athiest. Im talking about the christian who seeks a relationship with God and believes Jesus died for our sins.

All Im saying is, If I was a human leader of a world with no God, Christianity or any type of religion would be the perfect remedy to give people what they want, comfort. It would also make them ignore logic which would be good for me as a leader because that would mean i have more control. I can just tell them its Gods will or Gods plan. Lets say I decide I want to be super rich but that leaves everyone else poor. Its okay I just tell them they are blessed because God sees their suffering. Problem Solved.

Yes, that is what Constantine thought, and was the entire reason that he formed the Catholic Church. He recognised that religion can so easily be used to control people. and the Roman Catholic Church has been doing that ever since.


I could go on but thats enough.

So could I.
Harikrish
Posts: 11,014
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2015 1:34:59 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/31/2015 1:02:36 PM, MadCornishBiker wrote:
At 12/31/2015 2:01:11 AM, fallenalien wrote:
Why do we "lie" to kids and tell them there is Santa Clause? There is a easter bunny? That the actors dressed up at Disneyland are the real characters as to which they potray?

Is it envoke a sense of wonder and imagination? To give them the sense of more beauty then there really is? Because we want them to be happy?

Anyways thats something to think about.

I have never understood why people need to lie.

Then you have never fully understood yourself

But isn't seeking a relationship with God ultimately selfish? Im gunna assume God is real for a second. Would it not be accurate to say that we need God more then he needs us? What does God get from having a relationship with us besides feeling like a boss that he has all these people praying to and worshipping him? But on an individual level. We need God in our lives why?

Yes it would be right to say that we need him more than he needs us, but he is not in the least interested in anyone whose motivations are selfish.

Don't you want your perverted past forgiven?


To feel comforted? So we are USING God for comfort? So we wont be scared of the unknown? So we need God so we wont be scared? Or maybe its so we will be a 'good person'. So we need Gods wrath to scare us into being good? Is this not an abusive relationship? Are we not like that desperate person who has no other choice but to try and build a relationship with this God because nobody else wants us?

I do not use God for anything, I look to him to use me.

What use does God have for a disfellowshipped and shunned perverted wobbly lopsided retiree who was found untrustworthy by His witnesses?

My point is, I think people believe in God so they will feel comfort, and wont be scared. It's all for personal gain. And its exactly what I would expect someone to do in a soulless world where they are scared, regardless if its real or not. God has no benefit if we have a relationship with him (besides power? recognition? idk), only we benefit. Because as humans we ultimately want to feel good and be happy. We dont want to believe in God so other humans have it better (which is what Jesus did, he sacrificed himself for man, apparently), no, we want to find purpose, happiness, and security for OURSELVES. I guarantee you church would be empty if the purpose was making everyone else comfortable but yourself.

You are a retired senior on disability assistance suicidal and clinically depressed. Whose comfort would you be praying for?

Unfortunately that is true for many, but those who are simply looking for comfort inevitably end up serving the wrong god..

Any wonder by you are living alone with animals abandoned by your 3 ex-wives and children. You must be serving the wrong God to end up where you are suicidal and clinically depressed.


You can believe in a creator but still live life and live like an athiest. Im talking about the christian who seeks a relationship with God and believes Jesus died for our sins.

All Im saying is, If I was a human leader of a world with no God, Christianity or any type of religion would be the perfect remedy to give people what they want, comfort. It would also make them ignore logic which would be good for me as a leader because that would mean i have more control. I can just tell them its Gods will or Gods plan. Lets say I decide I want to be super rich but that leaves everyone else poor. Its okay I just tell them they are blessed because God sees their suffering. Problem Solved.

Yes, that is what Constantine thought, and was the entire reason that he formed the Catholic Church. He recognised that religion can so easily be used to control people. and the Roman Catholic Church has been doing that ever since.

But you chose a more practical path. You picked DDO.

I could go on but thats enough.

So could I.

You seem a lot more liberated after your identity was stolen. Now you can be anything you choose because you cannot be identified anymore. That is why you are running around without an identity totally unhinged.
JJ50
Posts: 2,144
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2015 1:47:08 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/31/2015 2:16:48 AM, IntellectVsSpirit5000 wrote:
At 12/31/2015 2:01:11 AM, fallenalien wrote:
Why do we "lie" to kids and tell them there is Santa Clause? There is a easter bunny? That the actors dressed up at Disneyland are the real characters as to which they potray?

Is it envoke a sense of wonder and imagination? To give them the sense of more beauty then there really is? Because we want them to be happy?

Anyways thats something to think about.

But isn't seeking a relationship with God ultimately selfish? Im gunna assume God is real for a second. Would it not be accurate to say that we need God more then he needs us? What does God get from having a relationship with us besides feeling like a boss that he has all these people praying to and worshipping him? But on an individual level. We need God in our lives why?

To feel comforted? So we are USING God for comfort? So we wont be scared of the unknown? So we need God so we wont be scared? Or maybe its so we will be a 'good person'. So we need Gods wrath to scare us into being good? Is this not an abusive relationship? Are we not like that desperate person who has no other choice but to try and build a relationship with this God because nobody else wants us?

My point is, I think people believe in God so they will feel comfort, and wont be scared. It's all for personal gain. And its exactly what I would expect someone to do in a soulless world where they are scared, regardless if its real or not. God has no benefit if we have a relationship with him (besides power? recognition? idk), only we benefit. Because as humans we ultimately want to feel good and be happy. We dont want to believe in God so other humans have it better (which is what Jesus did, he sacrificed himself for man, apparently), no, we want to find purpose, happiness, and security for OURSELVES. I guarantee you church would be empty if the purpose was making everyone else comfortable but yourself.

You can believe in a creator but still live life and live like an athiest. Im talking about the christian who seeks a relationship with God and believes Jesus died for our sins.

All Im saying is, If I was a human leader of a world with no God, Christianity or any type of religion would be the perfect remedy to give people what they want, comfort. It would also make them ignore logic which would be good for me as a leader because that would mean i have more control. I can just tell them its Gods will or Gods plan. Lets say I decide I want to be super rich but that leaves everyone else poor. Its okay I just tell them they are blessed because God sees their suffering. Problem Solved.

I could go on but thats enough.

For starters, Jesus actually existed and walked the Earth even according to Atheist historians. The easter rabbit, santa, tooth fairy etc are yetto have made an actual appearance in history.

I don't do things out of fear. I do them because Christ was beautiful and is our teacher and friend. It's a better and happier way of life.

Hope? Better. Eternal life? Better. Wonder and awe? Better. Comfort? Better. No need for prozak? Better.

Jesus probably existed, but it is highly unlikely the less than credible things claimed for him are anymore than fairy tales!
EtrnlVw
Posts: 2,322
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2015 2:18:27 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/31/2015 2:01:11 AM, fallenalien wrote:
Why do we "lie" to kids and tell them there is Santa Clause? There is a easter bunny? That the actors dressed up at Disneyland are the real characters as to which they potray?

This is very simple young man, it's called CULTURE....ever heard of that word? Parents aren't "lying" to their kids my friend, it's silly tradition aimed at fun for the youngsters and family, it's not about lying lol, good grief you people seem to find evil in everything, we have to rewire the whole brain....

Me and my wife don't lie to our kids but we also live in the states, so obviously our culture is saturated in these festivals and of course all the grandparents and stuff like that are into it and it's fun for them blah blah, but my kids figured out for themselves Santa is just for fun when they were like 5, they asked me and I told them and they shrugged it off, what's the big deal? It's more of something we as parents have to put up with, and that doesn't necessarily mean we like it.


Is it envoke a sense of wonder and imagination? To give them the sense of more beauty then there really is? Because we want them to be happy?

No, it's culture and simply that alone. It's just fun activities especially for the kids and grandparents. Personally I'm not head over heels for any of it, as I said it's more for the family type stuff.
Are you the Grinch?

Anyways thats something to think about.

I gave you something to think about, take it easy and relax some.


But isn't seeking a relationship with God ultimately selfish? Im gunna assume God is real for a second. Would it not be accurate to say that we need God more then he needs us? What does God get from having a relationship with us besides feeling like a boss that he has all these people praying to and worshipping him? But on an individual level. We need God in our lives why?

No it's not selfish, that is the wrong word, you atheists seem to have talent for making everything seem evil, is that something you are proud of?
You just admitted in your own statement that we need God more, but then you went off track, got crazy again, this is gonna take awhile I see.... you seem to enjoy flooding your mind with hypotheticals.

We need God in our lives because it is something that is natural, God is personal and so are we, God being more so. We are created in His image, we are beings that desire relationships and so for any normal person relation with God sounds pretty fascinating, you don't think?


To feel comforted? So we are USING God for comfort? So we wont be scared of the unknown? So we need God so we wont be scared? Or maybe its so we will be a 'good person'. So we need Gods wrath to scare us into being good? Is this not an abusive relationship? Are we not like that desperate person who has no other choice but to try and build a relationship with this God because nobody else wants us?

Stop assuming everything and simply ask questions without answering them, you will come a lot further.
Being scared has nothing to do with anything. Theists are no more scared than non theists and vise versa.
Actually in spirituality fear is an obstacle that must be dealt with, one cannot harbor fear and move forward in spirituality, all those things get pealed away in layers.
But anyways fear is not a foundation anyone wants to build on, and it plays no role in my quest for truth and understanding, that is not the motivation.


My point is, I think people believe in God so they will feel comfort, and wont be scared. It's all for personal gain. And its exactly what I would expect someone to do in a soulless world where they are scared, regardless if its real or not. God has no benefit if we have a relationship with him (besides power? recognition? idk), only we benefit. Because as humans we ultimately want to feel good and be happy. We dont want to believe in God so other humans have it better (which is what Jesus did, he sacrificed himself for man, apparently), no, we want to find purpose, happiness, and security for OURSELVES. I guarantee you church would be empty if the purpose was making everyone else comfortable but yourself.

Of course you do, you can't seem to stop yourself from answering everything for us, why don't you reset yourself and ask simple questions without going on a tantrum.
Spirituality has many aspects to it, it's not one dimensional and it is continual, you have a bit of frustration/tightness in your soul and this would do you wonders. Keep asking questions and feel free to send me P.M's if you want.

You can believe in a creator but still live life and live like an athiest. Im talking about the christian who seeks a relationship with God and believes Jesus died for our sins.

Of course, you can do whatever you want, but the question is.....is what do you want? do you really want to mold yourself and limit yourself to some atheistic ideology?? God is real and that is a reality, atheism is a pipe dream.

All Im saying is, If I was a human leader of a world with no God, Christianity or any type of religion would be the perfect remedy to give people what they want, comfort. It would also make them ignore logic which would be good for me as a leader because that would mean i have more control. I can just tell them its Gods will or Gods plan. Lets say I decide I want to be super rich but that leaves everyone else poor. Its okay I just tell them they are blessed because God sees their suffering. Problem Solved.

People's souls gravity towards Christianity because of it's spiritual freedom and it's personal appeal, everything in this life can be used for harm rather than good, humans can be real despicable but if you read the Gospels and the epistles without preconceived ideas I think you may change your mind. It has nothing to do with controlling people, the problem is when you begin looking at what man has done and what man has corrupted but despite that all we have to do is check the contents.

I could go on but thats enough.
Harikrish
Posts: 11,014
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2015 2:20:21 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/31/2015 1:47:08 PM, JJ50 wrote:
At 12/31/2015 2:16:48 AM, IntellectVsSpirit5000 wrote:
At 12/31/2015 2:01:11 AM, fallenalien wrote:
Why do we "lie" to kids and tell them there is Santa Clause? There is a easter bunny? That the actors dressed up at Disneyland are the real characters as to which they potray?

Is it envoke a sense of wonder and imagination? To give them the sense of more beauty then there really is? Because we want them to be happy?

Anyways thats something to think about.

But isn't seeking a relationship with God ultimately selfish? Im gunna assume God is real for a second. Would it not be accurate to say that we need God more then he needs us? What does God get from having a relationship with us besides feeling like a boss that he has all these people praying to and worshipping him? But on an individual level. We need God in our lives why?

To feel comforted? So we are USING God for comfort? So we wont be scared of the unknown? So we need God so we wont be scared? Or maybe its so we will be a 'good person'. So we need Gods wrath to scare us into being good? Is this not an abusive relationship? Are we not like that desperate person who has no other choice but to try and build a relationship with this God because nobody else wants us?

My point is, I think people believe in God so they will feel comfort, and wont be scared. It's all for personal gain. And its exactly what I would expect someone to do in a soulless world where they are scared, regardless if its real or not. God has no benefit if we have a relationship with him (besides power? recognition? idk), only we benefit. Because as humans we ultimately want to feel good and be happy. We dont want to believe in God so other humans have it better (which is what Jesus did, he sacrificed himself for man, apparently), no, we want to find purpose, happiness, and security for OURSELVES. I guarantee you church would be empty if the purpose was making everyone else comfortable but yourself.

You can believe in a creator but still live life and live like an athiest. Im talking about the christian who seeks a relationship with God and believes Jesus died for our sins.

All Im saying is, If I was a human leader of a world with no God, Christianity or any type of religion would be the perfect remedy to give people what they want, comfort. It would also make them ignore logic which would be good for me as a leader because that would mean i have more control. I can just tell them its Gods will or Gods plan. Lets say I decide I want to be super rich but that leaves everyone else poor. Its okay I just tell them they are blessed because God sees their suffering. Problem Solved.

I could go on but thats enough.

For starters, Jesus actually existed and walked the Earth even according to Atheist historians. The easter rabbit, santa, tooth fairy etc are yetto have made an actual appearance in history.

I don't do things out of fear. I do them because Christ was beautiful and is our teacher and friend. It's a better and happier way of life.

Hope? Better. Eternal life? Better. Wonder and awe? Better. Comfort? Better. No need for prozak? Better.

Jesus probably existed, but it is highly unlikely the less than credible things claimed for him are anymore than fairy tales!

Surely Jesus is more believable than Santa!!
Fatihah
Posts: 7,763
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2015 2:41:25 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/31/2015 2:01:11 AM, fallenalien wrote:
Why do we "lie" to kids and tell them there is Santa Clause? There is a easter bunny? That the actors dressed up at Disneyland are the real characters as to which they potray?

Is it envoke a sense of wonder and imagination? To give them the sense of more beauty then there really is? Because we want them to be happy?

Anyways thats something to think about.

But isn't seeking a relationship with God ultimately selfish? Im gunna assume God is real for a second. Would it not be accurate to say that we need God more then he needs us? What does God get from having a relationship with us besides feeling like a boss that he has all these people praying to and worshipping him? But on an individual level. We need God in our lives why?

To feel comforted? So we are USING God for comfort? So we wont be scared of the unknown? So we need God so we wont be scared? Or maybe its so we will be a 'good person'. So we need Gods wrath to scare us into being good? Is this not an abusive relationship? Are we not like that desperate person who has no other choice but to try and build a relationship with this God because nobody else wants us?

My point is, I think people believe in God so they will feel comfort, and wont be scared. It's all for personal gain. And its exactly what I would expect someone to do in a soulless world where they are scared, regardless if its real or not. God has no benefit if we have a relationship with him (besides power? recognition? idk), only we benefit. Because as humans we ultimately want to feel good and be happy. We dont want to believe in God so other humans have it better (which is what Jesus did, he sacrificed himself for man, apparently), no, we want to find purpose, happiness, and security for OURSELVES. I guarantee you church would be empty if the purpose was making everyone else comfortable but yourself.

You can believe in a creator but still live life and live like an athiest. Im talking about the christian who seeks a relationship with God and believes Jesus died for our sins.

All Im saying is, If I was a human leader of a world with no God, Christianity or any type of religion would be the perfect remedy to give people what they want, comfort. It would also make them ignore logic which would be good for me as a leader because that would mean i have more control. I can just tell them its Gods will or Gods plan. Lets say I decide I want to be super rich but that leaves everyone else poor. Its okay I just tell them they are blessed because God sees their suffering. Problem Solved.

I could go on but thats enough.
Response: People believe in God because they do not deny the obvious evidence around them, specifically that order or a repeating pattern comes from choice. If you left your house a mess and went to work and came back home and saw it clean, you would not say it evolved. You would know someone came and chose to organize it.

That is why people believe God exist, because it is clear that order is the result of choice. Your questions relate more to "why" would God do certain things rather than why God exist.
EtrnlVw
Posts: 2,322
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2015 2:50:20 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/31/2015 2:18:27 PM, EtrnlVw wrote:
At 12/31/2015 2:01:11 AM, fallenalien wrote:
Why do we "lie" to kids and tell them there is Santa Clause? There is a easter bunny? That the actors dressed up at Disneyland are the real characters as to which they potray?

This is very simple young man, it's called CULTURE....ever heard of that word? Parents aren't "lying" to their kids my friend, it's silly tradition aimed at fun for the youngsters and family, it's not about lying lol, good grief you people seem to find evil in everything, we have to rewire the whole brain....

Me and my wife don't lie to our kids but we also live in the states, so obviously our culture is saturated in these festivals and of course all the grandparents and stuff like that are into it and it's fun for them blah blah, but my kids figured out for themselves Santa is just for fun when they were like 5, they asked me and I told them and they shrugged it off, what's the big deal? It's more of something we as parents have to put up with, and that doesn't necessarily mean we like it.


Is it envoke a sense of wonder and imagination? To give them the sense of more beauty then there really is? Because we want them to be happy?

No, it's culture and simply that alone. It's just fun activities especially for the kids and grandparents. Personally I'm not head over heels for any of it, as I said it's more for the family type stuff.
Are you the Grinch?

Anyways thats something to think about.

I gave you something to think about, take it easy and relax some.


But isn't seeking a relationship with God ultimately selfish? Im gunna assume God is real for a second. Would it not be accurate to say that we need God more then he needs us? What does God get from having a relationship with us besides feeling like a boss that he has all these people praying to and worshipping him? But on an individual level. We need God in our lives why?

No it's not selfish, that is the wrong word, you atheists seem to have talent for making everything seem evil, is that something you are proud of?
You just admitted in your own statement that we need God more, but then you went off track, got crazy again, this is gonna take awhile I see.... you seem to enjoy flooding your mind with hypotheticals.

We need God in our lives because it is something that is natural, God is personal and so are we, God being more so. We are created in His image, we are beings that desire relationships and so for any normal person relation with God sounds pretty fascinating, you don't think?


To feel comforted? So we are USING God for comfort? So we wont be scared of the unknown? So we need God so we wont be scared? Or maybe its so we will be a 'good person'. So we need Gods wrath to scare us into being good? Is this not an abusive relationship? Are we not like that desperate person who has no other choice but to try and build a relationship with this God because nobody else wants us?

Stop assuming everything and simply ask questions without answering them, you will come a lot further.
Being scared has nothing to do with anything. Theists are no more scared than non theists and vise versa.
Actually in spirituality fear is an obstacle that must be dealt with, one cannot harbor fear and move forward in spirituality, all those things get pealed away in layers.
But anyways fear is not a foundation anyone wants to build on, and it plays no role in my quest for truth and understanding, that is not the motivation.


My point is, I think people believe in God so they will feel comfort, and wont be scared. It's all for personal gain. And its exactly what I would expect someone to do in a soulless world where they are scared, regardless if its real or not. God has no benefit if we have a relationship with him (besides power? recognition? idk), only we benefit. Because as humans we ultimately want to feel good and be happy. We dont want to believe in God so other humans have it better (which is what Jesus did, he sacrificed himself for man, apparently), no, we want to find purpose, happiness, and security for OURSELVES. I guarantee you church would be empty if the purpose was making everyone else comfortable but yourself.

Of course you do, you can't seem to stop yourself from answering everything for us, why don't you reset yourself and ask simple questions without going on a tantrum.
Spirituality has many aspects to it, it's not one dimensional and it is continual, you have a bit of frustration/tightness in your soul and this would do you wonders. Keep asking questions and feel free to send me P.M's if you want.

You can believe in a creator but still live life and live like an athiest. Im talking about the christian who seeks a relationship with God and believes Jesus died for our sins.

Of course, you can do whatever you want, but the question is.....is what do you want? do you really want to mold yourself and limit yourself to some atheistic ideology?? God is real and that is a reality, atheism is a pipe dream.

All Im saying is, If I was a human leader of a world with no God, Christianity or any type of religion would be the perfect remedy to give people what they want, comfort. It would also make them ignore logic which would be good for me as a leader because that would mean i have more control. I can just tell them its Gods will or Gods plan. Lets say I decide I want to be super rich but that leaves everyone else poor. Its okay I just tell them they are blessed because God sees their suffering. Problem Solved.

People's souls gravity towards Christianity because of it's spiritual freedom and it's personal appeal, everything in this life can be used for harm rather than good, humans can be real despicable but if you read the Gospels and the epistles without preconceived ideas I think you may change your mind. It has nothing to do with controlling people, the problem is when you begin looking at what man has done and what man has corrupted but despite that all we have to do is check the contents.

I could go on but thats enough.

http://mariashriver.com...
DanneJeRusse
Posts: 12,648
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2015 3:04:33 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/31/2015 2:18:27 PM, EtrnlVw wrote:

Me and my wife don't lie to our kids ...

We need God in our lives because it is something that is natural, God is personal and so are we, God being more so. We are created in His image, we are beings that desire relationships and so for any normal person relation with God sounds pretty fascinating, you don't think?

It sounds like a lie based on a delusion. Do you tell your kids that story, too?

Actually in spirituality fear is an obstacle that must be dealt with, one cannot harbor fear and move forward in spirituality, all those things get pealed away in layers.

Spirituality is a meaningless word.

God is real and that is a reality, atheism is a pipe dream.

That is obviously a lie, we all share reality, there are no gods in our reality or else we would all know it. Seems you are lying to your kids.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
12_13
Posts: 1,365
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2015 3:53:37 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/31/2015 2:01:11 AM, fallenalien wrote:
....
But isn't seeking a relationship with God ultimately selfish? Im gunna assume God is real for a second. Would it not be accurate to say that we need God more then he needs us? What does God get from having a relationship with us besides feeling like a boss that he has all these people praying to and worshipping him? But on an individual level. We need God in our lives why?

To feel comforted? So we are USING God for comfort? So we wont be scared of the unknown? So we need God so we wont be scared? Or maybe its so we will be a 'good person'. So we need Gods wrath to scare us into being good? Is this not an abusive relationship? Are we not like that desperate person who has no other choice but to try and build a relationship with this God because nobody else wants us?

My point is, I think people believe in God so they will feel comfort, and wont be scared. It's all for personal gain.

I believe in God, because Bible is convincing enough. For me God is as true as for example president Obama. If believing in Obama"s existence is not selfish, belief in God"s existence is not selfish. I think Bible is truth and I don"t have any reason to reject the truth. But it is not necessary comforting. If I wouldn"t believe in God, I would have less worry and life would be much easier. But I don"t want to deny the truth just to get easier life.

You claim that people are scared and therefore believe. Does this mean that you are not scared and you don"t fear anything?