Total Posts:60|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Do mythical characters exist?

Skyangel
Posts: 8,234
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2015 10:24:23 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
If they do, where do they exist and how do you recognise them as mythical?

If they do not, how does anyone become aware of them in order to label them as mythical?
Skyangel
Posts: 8,234
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2016 1:58:53 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
No one got an answer?

Mythical characters exist in fictional literature and in human imagination.

I personally recognise them as mythical due to their supernatural and unnatural powers which no real person possesses.

We all become aware of them through the stories and traditions handed down from our ancestors.

Don't you readers think its about time mature adults grew out of the childish belief that any supernatural gods existed in history?

No supernatural gods are in charge of nature. No gods create droughts or floods or earthquakes or any other disasters. Nature itself does those things and not because it is angry with humans.
be_diligent
Posts: 399
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2016 2:34:22 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/31/2015 10:24:23 PM, Skyangel wrote:
If they do, where do they exist and how do you recognise them as mythical?

If they do not, how does anyone become aware of them in order to label them as mythical?

I had an instructor many years ago in College who said that for every "mythical story," there is actually something behind it that is true.

He explained, (his opinion of course,) that every idea has to be introduced in order for it to spring into an actual or non-actual account. He brought up some of the most famous stories, like the story of Frankenstein, that had an actual human being behind the imaginary attributes of the book character.

I found a link to the story about it, if you want to check it out.

https://en.wikipedia.org...

So perhaps you have it backwards when you try to dismantle something by starting off with the premise that it is mythical. Just saying....

Since your post is obviously meant to mock believers in God, maybe you can take the lead and explain how energy came from nothing. In other words, explain to us how nothing made something?
bulproof
Posts: 25,238
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2016 2:42:50 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 1/2/2016 2:34:22 AM, be_diligent wrote:
At 12/31/2015 10:24:23 PM, Skyangel wrote:
If they do, where do they exist and how do you recognise them as mythical?

If they do not, how does anyone become aware of them in order to label them as mythical?

I had an instructor many years ago in College who said that for every "mythical story," there is actually something behind it that is true.

He explained, (his opinion of course,) that every idea has to be introduced in order for it to spring into an actual or non-actual account. He brought up some of the most famous stories, like the story of Frankenstein, that had an actual human being behind the imaginary attributes of the book character.

I found a link to the story about it, if you want to check it out.

https://en.wikipedia.org...

So perhaps you have it backwards when you try to dismantle something by starting off with the premise that it is mythical. Just saying....

Since your post is obviously meant to mock believers in God, maybe you can take the lead and explain how energy came from nothing. In other words, explain to us how nothing made something?
Can you explain what nothing is?
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
Skyangel
Posts: 8,234
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2016 2:47:49 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 1/2/2016 2:34:22 AM, be_diligent wrote:
At 12/31/2015 10:24:23 PM, Skyangel wrote:
If they do, where do they exist and how do you recognise them as mythical?

If they do not, how does anyone become aware of them in order to label them as mythical?

I had an instructor many years ago in College who said that for every "mythical story," there is actually something behind it that is true.

I agree with that. Every myth has a moral or lesson within it. That doesn't mean mythical characters are real. Not all people in mythical stories are real even if the authors do present them as historical characters.

He explained, (his opinion of course,) that every idea has to be introduced in order for it to spring into an actual or non-actual account. He brought up some of the most famous stories, like the story of Frankenstein, that had an actual human being behind the imaginary attributes of the book character.

I found a link to the story about it, if you want to check it out.

https://en.wikipedia.org...

So perhaps you have it backwards when you try to dismantle something by starting off with the premise that it is mythical. Just saying....

It is not backwards to understand that characters with supernatural powers in any story are not real even if those characters are based on some truth like the story of Santa being based on a real man. The real man was never magical or had flying reindeer and sleigh. Stories get exaggerated over time. I am sure you have heard of Chinese whispers?

Since your post is obviously meant to mock believers in God, maybe you can take the lead and explain how energy came from nothing. In other words, explain to us how nothing made something?

Energy did not come from nothing. Science claims it cannot be created or destroyed which implies it must have always existed just like the human concept of God having always existed and not being created.
Energy is uncreated and eternal.
Things which are eternal have no beginning or end.
be_diligent
Posts: 399
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2016 2:49:24 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 1/2/2016 2:42:50 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 1/2/2016 2:34:22 AM, be_diligent wrote:
At 12/31/2015 10:24:23 PM, Skyangel wrote:
If they do, where do they exist and how do you recognise them as mythical?

If they do not, how does anyone become aware of them in order to label them as mythical?

I had an instructor many years ago in College who said that for every "mythical story," there is actually something behind it that is true.

He explained, (his opinion of course,) that every idea has to be introduced in order for it to spring into an actual or non-actual account. He brought up some of the most famous stories, like the story of Frankenstein, that had an actual human being behind the imaginary attributes of the book character.

I found a link to the story about it, if you want to check it out.

https://en.wikipedia.org...

So perhaps you have it backwards when you try to dismantle something by starting off with the premise that it is mythical. Just saying....

Since your post is obviously meant to mock believers in God, maybe you can take the lead and explain how energy came from nothing. In other words, explain to us how nothing made something?
Can you explain what nothing is?

No I can not, Because I believe in God, I believe that He created all things.

Paul said this about Jesus.

Colossians 1:17 And he is before all things, and by him all things consist.

And

John 1:3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.
be_diligent
Posts: 399
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2016 2:53:29 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 1/2/2016 2:47:49 AM, Skyangel wrote:
At 1/2/2016 2:34:22 AM, be_diligent wrote:
At 12/31/2015 10:24:23 PM, Skyangel wrote:
If they do, where do they exist and how do you recognise them as mythical?

If they do not, how does anyone become aware of them in order to label them as mythical?

I had an instructor many years ago in College who said that for every "mythical story," there is actually something behind it that is true.

I agree with that. Every myth has a moral or lesson within it. That doesn't mean mythical characters are real. Not all people in mythical stories are real even if the authors do present them as historical characters.

He explained, (his opinion of course,) that every idea has to be introduced in order for it to spring into an actual or non-actual account. He brought up some of the most famous stories, like the story of Frankenstein, that had an actual human being behind the imaginary attributes of the book character.

I found a link to the story about it, if you want to check it out.

https://en.wikipedia.org...

So perhaps you have it backwards when you try to dismantle something by starting off with the premise that it is mythical. Just saying....

It is not backwards to understand that characters with supernatural powers in any story are not real even if those characters are based on some truth like the story of Santa being based on a real man. The real man was never magical or had flying reindeer and sleigh. Stories get exaggerated over time. I am sure you have heard of Chinese whispers?

Since your post is obviously meant to mock believers in God, maybe you can take the lead and explain how energy came from nothing. In other words, explain to us how nothing made something?

Energy did not come from nothing. Science claims it cannot be created or destroyed which implies it must have always existed just like the human concept of God having always existed and not being created.
Energy is uncreated and eternal.
Things which are eternal have no beginning or end.

How sad that you can grasp that something can be eternal, and still have no belief in God.

If I had said the same thing, you would be debating with my response right now.
bulproof
Posts: 25,238
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2016 2:57:27 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 1/2/2016 2:49:24 AM, be_diligent wrote:
At 1/2/2016 2:42:50 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 1/2/2016 2:34:22 AM, be_diligent wrote:
At 12/31/2015 10:24:23 PM, Skyangel wrote:
If they do, where do they exist and how do you recognise them as mythical?

If they do not, how does anyone become aware of them in order to label them as mythical?

I had an instructor many years ago in College who said that for every "mythical story," there is actually something behind it that is true.

He explained, (his opinion of course,) that every idea has to be introduced in order for it to spring into an actual or non-actual account. He brought up some of the most famous stories, like the story of Frankenstein, that had an actual human being behind the imaginary attributes of the book character.

I found a link to the story about it, if you want to check it out.

https://en.wikipedia.org...

So perhaps you have it backwards when you try to dismantle something by starting off with the premise that it is mythical. Just saying....

Since your post is obviously meant to mock believers in God, maybe you can take the lead and explain how energy came from nothing. In other words, explain to us how nothing made something?
Can you explain what nothing is?

No I can not, Because I believe in God, I believe that He created all things.
<snipped as meaningless propaganda>.
So your argument is a deliberate fallacy.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
be_diligent
Posts: 399
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2016 2:58:41 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 1/2/2016 2:57:27 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 1/2/2016 2:49:24 AM, be_diligent wrote:
At 1/2/2016 2:42:50 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 1/2/2016 2:34:22 AM, be_diligent wrote:
At 12/31/2015 10:24:23 PM, Skyangel wrote:
If they do, where do they exist and how do you recognise them as mythical?

If they do not, how does anyone become aware of them in order to label them as mythical?

I had an instructor many years ago in College who said that for every "mythical story," there is actually something behind it that is true.

He explained, (his opinion of course,) that every idea has to be introduced in order for it to spring into an actual or non-actual account. He brought up some of the most famous stories, like the story of Frankenstein, that had an actual human being behind the imaginary attributes of the book character.

I found a link to the story about it, if you want to check it out.

https://en.wikipedia.org...

So perhaps you have it backwards when you try to dismantle something by starting off with the premise that it is mythical. Just saying....

Since your post is obviously meant to mock believers in God, maybe you can take the lead and explain how energy came from nothing. In other words, explain to us how nothing made something?
Can you explain what nothing is?

No I can not, Because I believe in God, I believe that He created all things.
<snipped as meaningless propaganda>.
So your argument is a deliberate fallacy.

Your two statements so far are deliberately small and offer no argument for "fallacy."

Speak up man.
bulproof
Posts: 25,238
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2016 3:09:00 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 1/2/2016 2:58:41 AM, be_diligent wrote:
At 1/2/2016 2:57:27 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 1/2/2016 2:49:24 AM, be_diligent wrote:
At 1/2/2016 2:42:50 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 1/2/2016 2:34:22 AM, be_diligent wrote:
At 12/31/2015 10:24:23 PM, Skyangel wrote:
If they do, where do they exist and how do you recognise them as mythical?

If they do not, how does anyone become aware of them in order to label them as mythical?

I had an instructor many years ago in College who said that for every "mythical story," there is actually something behind it that is true.

He explained, (his opinion of course,) that every idea has to be introduced in order for it to spring into an actual or non-actual account. He brought up some of the most famous stories, like the story of Frankenstein, that had an actual human being behind the imaginary attributes of the book character.

I found a link to the story about it, if you want to check it out.

https://en.wikipedia.org...

So perhaps you have it backwards when you try to dismantle something by starting off with the premise that it is mythical. Just saying....

Since your post is obviously meant to mock believers in God, maybe you can take the lead and explain how energy came from nothing. In other words, explain to us how nothing made something?
Can you explain what nothing is?

No I can not, Because I believe in God, I believe that He created all things.
<snipped as meaningless propaganda>.
So your argument is a deliberate fallacy.

Your two statements so far are deliberately small and offer no argument for "fallacy."

Speak up man.
You made the argument for fallacy, looky here.
Can you explain what nothing is?

No I can not, Because I believe in God, I believe that He created all things.
So when you requested an explanation of how something can come from nothing you were lying about the existence of nothing, you people will lie about anything.
That's understandable since the truth destroys you wishful thinking aka religion.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
Skyangel
Posts: 8,234
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2016 3:22:59 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 1/2/2016 2:53:29 AM, be_diligent wrote:
At 1/2/2016 2:47:49 AM, Skyangel wrote:
At 1/2/2016 2:34:22 AM, be_diligent wrote:
At 12/31/2015 10:24:23 PM, Skyangel wrote:
If they do, where do they exist and how do you recognise them as mythical?

If they do not, how does anyone become aware of them in order to label them as mythical?

I had an instructor many years ago in College who said that for every "mythical story," there is actually something behind it that is true.

I agree with that. Every myth has a moral or lesson within it. That doesn't mean mythical characters are real. Not all people in mythical stories are real even if the authors do present them as historical characters.

He explained, (his opinion of course,) that every idea has to be introduced in order for it to spring into an actual or non-actual account. He brought up some of the most famous stories, like the story of Frankenstein, that had an actual human being behind the imaginary attributes of the book character.

I found a link to the story about it, if you want to check it out.

https://en.wikipedia.org...

So perhaps you have it backwards when you try to dismantle something by starting off with the premise that it is mythical. Just saying....

It is not backwards to understand that characters with supernatural powers in any story are not real even if those characters are based on some truth like the story of Santa being based on a real man. The real man was never magical or had flying reindeer and sleigh. Stories get exaggerated over time. I am sure you have heard of Chinese whispers?

Since your post is obviously meant to mock believers in God, maybe you can take the lead and explain how energy came from nothing. In other words, explain to us how nothing made something?

Energy did not come from nothing. Science claims it cannot be created or destroyed which implies it must have always existed just like the human concept of God having always existed and not being created.
Energy is uncreated and eternal.
Things which are eternal have no beginning or end.

How sad that you can grasp that something can be eternal, and still have no belief in God.

I do believe in very human gods as creators but not in supernatural gods as creators.
It makes far more sense to understand all superhuman gods are merely human personifications of the powers of the universe.
It is the powers or forces or energy which are eternal not the supernatural characters who supposedly rule over the powers.

If I had said the same thing, you would be debating with my response right now.

What makes you think that?
If you said something I believe is true, I would simply agree with you.

Don't you understand that all gods in ancient literature are mythical and they personify the forces of nature?
Is that really so hard to comprehend?
Skyangel
Posts: 8,234
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2016 3:31:10 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 1/2/2016 2:49:24 AM, be_diligent wrote:
At 1/2/2016 2:42:50 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 1/2/2016 2:34:22 AM, be_diligent wrote:
At 12/31/2015 10:24:23 PM, Skyangel wrote:
If they do, where do they exist and how do you recognise them as mythical?

If they do not, how does anyone become aware of them in order to label them as mythical?

I had an instructor many years ago in College who said that for every "mythical story," there is actually something behind it that is true.

He explained, (his opinion of course,) that every idea has to be introduced in order for it to spring into an actual or non-actual account. He brought up some of the most famous stories, like the story of Frankenstein, that had an actual human being behind the imaginary attributes of the book character.

I found a link to the story about it, if you want to check it out.

https://en.wikipedia.org...

So perhaps you have it backwards when you try to dismantle something by starting off with the premise that it is mythical. Just saying....

Since your post is obviously meant to mock believers in God, maybe you can take the lead and explain how energy came from nothing. In other words, explain to us how nothing made something?
Can you explain what nothing is?

No I can not, Because I believe in God, I believe that He created all things.

Paul said this about Jesus.

Colossians 1:17 And he is before all things, and by him all things consist.

And

John 1:3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.

If you applied the above scriptures to energy they would make far more sense.
Energy is before all things, and by it all things consist.
All things were made of energy; and without energy was not any thing made that was made.
Skyangel
Posts: 8,234
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2016 3:38:13 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 1/2/2016 3:09:00 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 1/2/2016 2:58:41 AM, be_diligent wrote:
At 1/2/2016 2:57:27 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 1/2/2016 2:49:24 AM, be_diligent wrote:
At 1/2/2016 2:42:50 AM, bulproof wrote:

Can you explain what nothing is?

No I can not, Because I believe in God, I believe that He created all things.
<snipped as meaningless propaganda>.
So your argument is a deliberate fallacy.

Your two statements so far are deliberately small and offer no argument for "fallacy."

Speak up man.
You made the argument for fallacy, looky here.
Can you explain what nothing is?

No I can not, Because I believe in God, I believe that He created all things.
So when you requested an explanation of how something can come from nothing you were lying about the existence of nothing, you people will lie about anything.
That's understandable since the truth destroys you wishful thinking aka religion.

It is amusing that a believer in the God who is supposed to give them knowledge and wisdom cannot explain that "nothing" is a word which implies an absence of everything. It refers to nonexistence.

Obviously that God doesn't educate them very well. He likes to keep them in the dark.
be_diligent
Posts: 399
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2016 1:10:52 PM
Posted: 11 months ago

: I do believe in very human gods as creators but not in supernatural gods as creators.
It makes far more sense to understand all superhuman gods are merely human personifications of the powers of the universe.
It is the powers or forces or energy which are eternal not the supernatural characters who supposedly rule over the powers.

If I had said the same thing, you would be debating with my response right now.

What makes you think that?
If you said something I believe is true, I would simply agree with you.

Don't you understand that all gods in ancient literature are mythical and they personify the forces of nature?
Is that really so hard to comprehend?

Now go back and look at the very first sentence in your statement, I'll quote it here for you.

You said: " I do believe in very human gods as creators."

Here are more verses that show that what you believe is no uncommon.....and it is idolatry,

Isaiah 2:22
Stop trusting in mere humans, who have but a breath in their nostrils. Why hold them in esteem?

Psalm 146:3
Do not put your trust in princes, in human beings, who cannot save.

You can't even face up to what you believe. That statement right there backs up biblical idolatry, and again I have to point out that YOU are the one who brought that passage in an attempt to make it not apply to you, and it clearly does.

You are a walking contradiction. Even when your errors are pointed out you do not have the ability to even naturally accept them.

So you don't believe in the bible, if you're going to use it to try to justify your stance, know what it actually says.

Good luck with your creations....(sigh)
Skyangel
Posts: 8,234
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2016 10:29:29 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 1/2/2016 1:10:52 PM, be_diligent wrote:

: I do believe in very human gods as creators but not in supernatural gods as creators.
It makes far more sense to understand all superhuman gods are merely human personifications of the powers of the universe.
It is the powers or forces or energy which are eternal not the supernatural characters who supposedly rule over the powers.

If I had said the same thing, you would be debating with my response right now.

What makes you think that?
If you said something I believe is true, I would simply agree with you.

Don't you understand that all gods in ancient literature are mythical and they personify the forces of nature?
Is that really so hard to comprehend?

Now go back and look at the very first sentence in your statement, I'll quote it here for you.

You said: " I do believe in very human gods as creators."

Here are more verses that show that what you believe is no uncommon.....and it is idolatry,

Isaiah 2:22
Stop trusting in mere humans, who have but a breath in their nostrils. Why hold them in esteem?

Believing in humans does not mean I hold them all in high esteem. You can believe in the existence of humans without trusting them, esteeming them or worshipping them.
Believing people have the ability to create things does not mean I worship them for their creative abilities. I can admire a persons abilities without idolizing the person.
How about you ? Do you trust or esteem any people at all? Do you trust your family? Do you trust yourself ? If so, are you ever going to stop trusting those people as the above scripture encourages ?

Psalm 146:3
Do not put your trust in princes, in human beings, who cannot save.

Humans beings can and do save other people all the time. Doctors, nurses, paramedics, police, firemen, rescue workers and many volunteers save peoples lives and help them restore their lives in various situations.

The KJV of the above scripture is.....
"Put not your trust in princes, nor in the son of man, in whom there is no help."

Do you believe Jesus is or was the son of man or a prince of any kind ? If so, do you trust him? The bible saysthere is no help in him so where are you going to find help? Who is going to save you if prince Jesus, the son of man, cannot save you ?

You can't even face up to what you believe. That statement right there backs up biblical idolatry, and again I have to point out that YOU are the one who brought that passage in an attempt to make it not apply to you, and it clearly does.

Can't I? Am I the one who can't face my own beliefs or are you ?
I trust humans who have compassion and love for their fellow man to help those in need and save people who need to be saved. Would you not save a drowning man from drowning if you could? I trust you would if you can swim and know how to save someone from drowning. I trust you would not if you lack those skills. What is the crime in having such trust and belief in mankind?

I faced what I believed in the past and constantly face what I currently believe. I left religion because of its idol worship of the Jesus character. I faced the truth that I was worshipping an idol and a false christ by believing Jesus was God. I saw the light that no man is the ultimate creator God who created the universe. I woke up to the fact that all supernatural gods are mythical and there are thousands of them in ancient and modern literature. Not one of them is real. They are all personifications of the "powers which be" Some of those powers lie in mankind. Some people can be trusted and others cannot so we need to use wisdom and choose carefully who to trust.

You are a walking contradiction. Even when your errors are pointed out you do not have the ability to even naturally accept them.

I accept that I am a walking contradiction. I don't have a problem with it because I understand lifes paradoxes and do not try to hide or deny what others attempt to hide and deny. All people are walking contradictions. There is no error in a walking contradiction. It simply is what it is. It is like night and day is part of the same day. There is no error in its opposite sides. Darkness+Light =Light. If you cannot see that, you must be blind. I am the light of the world.

So you don't believe in the bible, if you're going to use it to try to justify your stance, know what it actually says.

I do. It is a living contradiction the same as I AM.

Good luck with your creations....(sigh)

People who have talent don't need luck.
Light does not need luck to dispel darkness.
Truth does not need luck to dispel lies.
skipsaweirdo
Posts: 1,866
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2016 10:36:25 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 1/2/2016 2:42:50 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 1/2/2016 2:34:22 AM, be_diligent wrote:
At 12/31/2015 10:24:23 PM, Skyangel wrote:
If they do, where do they exist and how do you recognise them as mythical?

If they do not, how does anyone become aware of them in order to label them as mythical?

I had an instructor many years ago in College who said that for every "mythical story," there is actually something behind it that is true.

He explained, (his opinion of course,) that every idea has to be introduced in order for it to spring into an actual or non-actual account. He brought up some of the most famous stories, like the story of Frankenstein, that had an actual human being behind the imaginary attributes of the book character.

I found a link to the story about it, if you want to check it out.

https://en.wikipedia.org...

So perhaps you have it backwards when you try to dismantle something by starting off with the premise that it is mythical. Just saying....

Since your post is obviously meant to mock believers in God, maybe you can take the lead and explain how energy came from nothing. In other words, explain to us how nothing made something?
Can you explain what nothing is?
Bwhahahahahahaha, have you been to the 1st grade yet.....this is a cowardly attempt at avoiding the fact you will argue an equvocation.
But nice pseudo philosophical inquiry.
skipsaweirdo
Posts: 1,866
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2016 10:39:14 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/31/2015 10:24:23 PM, Skyangel wrote:
If they do, where do they exist and how do you recognise them as mythical?

If they do not, how does anyone become aware of them in order to label them as mythical?
Synonym for mythical, fictitious. Synonym for what you think is logic, opinion.
Skyangel
Posts: 8,234
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2016 12:11:09 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 1/2/2016 10:39:14 PM, skipsaweirdo wrote:
At 12/31/2015 10:24:23 PM, Skyangel wrote:
If they do, where do they exist and how do you recognise them as mythical?

If they do not, how does anyone become aware of them in order to label them as mythical?
Synonym for mythical, fictitious. Synonym for what you think is logic, opinion.

Are there any supernatural gods who are not fictitious in your opinion?
If so, please explain what logic or reasoning you use to separate the real gods from the fictitious ones?
skipsaweirdo
Posts: 1,866
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2016 12:47:08 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 1/3/2016 12:11:09 AM, Skyangel wrote:
At 1/2/2016 10:39:14 PM, skipsaweirdo wrote:
At 12/31/2015 10:24:23 PM, Skyangel wrote:
If they do, where do they exist and how do you recognise them as mythical?

If they do not, how does anyone become aware of them in order to label them as mythical?
Synonym for mythical, fictitious. Synonym for what you think is logic, opinion.

Are there any supernatural gods who are not fictitious in your opinion?
If so, please explain what logic or reasoning you use to separate the real gods from the fictitious ones?
You don't seem to have a grasp of what "the subject is". Let me explain my response so you stop convoluting my responses into something and instead address the actual meaning of the phrases and words I typed.
Mythical means fictitious, meaning your question is asinine and ignorant.
"Logic is your opinion" because, well , you apparently lack the ability to think in terms of logic in the numerous posts that I have had a pleasure of coming across so you seem to believe that stating an opinion constitutes reasonable or logical deductions on your part. Hint, it doesn't.
bulproof
Posts: 25,238
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2016 1:21:02 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 1/2/2016 10:36:25 PM, skipsaweirdo wrote:
At 1/2/2016 2:42:50 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 1/2/2016 2:34:22 AM, be_diligent wrote:
At 12/31/2015 10:24:23 PM, Skyangel wrote:
If they do, where do they exist and how do you recognise them as mythical?

If they do not, how does anyone become aware of them in order to label them as mythical?

I had an instructor many years ago in College who said that for every "mythical story," there is actually something behind it that is true.

He explained, (his opinion of course,) that every idea has to be introduced in order for it to spring into an actual or non-actual account. He brought up some of the most famous stories, like the story of Frankenstein, that had an actual human being behind the imaginary attributes of the book character.

I found a link to the story about it, if you want to check it out.

https://en.wikipedia.org...

So perhaps you have it backwards when you try to dismantle something by starting off with the premise that it is mythical. Just saying....

Since your post is obviously meant to mock believers in God, maybe you can take the lead and explain how energy came from nothing. In other words, explain to us how nothing made something?
Can you explain what nothing is?
Bwhahahahahahaha, have you been to the 1st grade yet.....this is a cowardly attempt at avoiding the fact you will argue an equvocation.
But nice pseudo philosophical inquiry.
OK genius explain nothing to us.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
Skyangel
Posts: 8,234
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2016 1:26:47 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 1/3/2016 12:47:08 AM, skipsaweirdo wrote:
At 1/3/2016 12:11:09 AM, Skyangel wrote:
At 1/2/2016 10:39:14 PM, skipsaweirdo wrote:
At 12/31/2015 10:24:23 PM, Skyangel wrote:
If they do, where do they exist and how do you recognise them as mythical?

If they do not, how does anyone become aware of them in order to label them as mythical?
Synonym for mythical, fictitious. Synonym for what you think is logic, opinion.

Are there any supernatural gods who are not fictitious in your opinion?
If so, please explain what logic or reasoning you use to separate the real gods from the fictitious ones?
You don't seem to have a grasp of what "the subject is". Let me explain my response so you stop convoluting my responses into something and instead address the actual meaning of the phrases and words I typed.
Mythical means fictitious, meaning your question is asinine and ignorant.
"Logic is your opinion" because, well , you apparently lack the ability to think in terms of logic in the numerous posts that I have had a pleasure of coming across so you seem to believe that stating an opinion constitutes reasonable or logical deductions on your part. Hint, it doesn't.

Neither does your opinion.
Your own words apply to you just as much as you think they apply to me.
Lack of ability to think logically ? Look in the mirror.
be_diligent
Posts: 399
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2016 1:28:43 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 1/3/2016 1:21:02 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 1/2/2016 10:36:25 PM, skipsaweirdo wrote:
At 1/2/2016 2:42:50 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 1/2/2016 2:34:22 AM, be_diligent wrote:
At 12/31/2015 10:24:23 PM, Skyangel wrote:
If they do, where do they exist and how do you recognise them as mythical?

If they do not, how does anyone become aware of them in order to label them as mythical?

I had an instructor many years ago in College who said that for every "mythical story," there is actually something behind it that is true.

He explained, (his opinion of course,) that every idea has to be introduced in order for it to spring into an actual or non-actual account. He brought up some of the most famous stories, like the story of Frankenstein, that had an actual human being behind the imaginary attributes of the book character.

I found a link to the story about it, if you want to check it out.

https://en.wikipedia.org...

So perhaps you have it backwards when you try to dismantle something by starting off with the premise that it is mythical. Just saying....

Since your post is obviously meant to mock believers in God, maybe you can take the lead and explain how energy came from nothing. In other words, explain to us how nothing made something?
Can you explain what nothing is?
Bwhahahahahahaha, have you been to the 1st grade yet.....this is a cowardly attempt at avoiding the fact you will argue an equvocation.
But nice pseudo philosophical inquiry.
OK genius explain nothing to us.

I would love to have a decent conversation with you bulproof, but you come in swinging.

Try doing that with anyone outside of a forum and in person, and see if they want to talk with you.

You make all these little claims and accusations, yet you really don't say anything at all.

If you want to talk, talk like a grown up.
bulproof
Posts: 25,238
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2016 2:39:34 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 1/3/2016 1:28:43 AM, be_diligent wrote:
At 1/3/2016 1:21:02 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 1/2/2016 10:36:25 PM, skipsaweirdo wrote:
At 1/2/2016 2:42:50 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 1/2/2016 2:34:22 AM, be_diligent wrote:
At 12/31/2015 10:24:23 PM, Skyangel wrote:
If they do, where do they exist and how do you recognise them as mythical?

If they do not, how does anyone become aware of them in order to label them as mythical?

I had an instructor many years ago in College who said that for every "mythical story," there is actually something behind it that is true.

He explained, (his opinion of course,) that every idea has to be introduced in order for it to spring into an actual or non-actual account. He brought up some of the most famous stories, like the story of Frankenstein, that had an actual human being behind the imaginary attributes of the book character.

I found a link to the story about it, if you want to check it out.

https://en.wikipedia.org...

So perhaps you have it backwards when you try to dismantle something by starting off with the premise that it is mythical. Just saying....

Since your post is obviously meant to mock believers in God, maybe you can take the lead and explain how energy came from nothing. In other words, explain to us how nothing made something?
Can you explain what nothing is?
Bwhahahahahahaha, have you been to the 1st grade yet.....this is a cowardly attempt at avoiding the fact you will argue an equvocation.
But nice pseudo philosophical inquiry.
OK genius explain nothing to us.

I would love to have a decent conversation with you bulproof, but you come in swinging.

Try doing that with anyone outside of a forum and in person, and see if they want to talk with you.

You make all these little claims and accusations, yet you really don't say anything at all.

If you want to talk, talk like a grown up.
I'm not making claims, you and others are and when requested to support those claims you run away screaming that I'm being childish.
You people get quite confused when confronted by facts, facts are beyond your modus operandi.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
Casten
Posts: 391
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2016 2:41:33 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
They certainly exist in the human psyche.

But mythical characters do not physically exist as people, no. There is no Mount Olympus, and Hercules isn't up there, much as I would like him to be (and, if it matters, to look exactly like Kevin Sorbo).

I guess a lot of things make me allocate personages into mythology.

Do they have supernatural powers?
Are they depicted in stories that have the hallmarks of parable?
Are they in a Marvel movie? (Very handy.)
Is there no scientific or historical evidence that this person actually existed?
Are they depicted as godlike or larger than life?

People become aware of mythical characters the way anyone becomes aware of any character. Someone makes him or her up, and it catches on.

Humanity needs characters. Their lack of physical mass does not diminish their worth, in my opinion.
be_diligent
Posts: 399
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2016 3:11:24 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 1/3/2016 2:39:34 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 1/3/2016 1:28:43 AM, be_diligent wrote:
At 1/3/2016 1:21:02 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 1/2/2016 10:36:25 PM, skipsaweirdo wrote:
At 1/2/2016 2:42:50 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 1/2/2016 2:34:22 AM, be_diligent wrote:
At 12/31/2015 10:24:23 PM, Skyangel wrote:
If they do, where do they exist and how do you recognise them as mythical?

If they do not, how does anyone become aware of them in order to label them as mythical?

I had an instructor many years ago in College who said that for every "mythical story," there is actually something behind it that is true.

He explained, (his opinion of course,) that every idea has to be introduced in order for it to spring into an actual or non-actual account. He brought up some of the most famous stories, like the story of Frankenstein, that had an actual human being behind the imaginary attributes of the book character.

I found a link to the story about it, if you want to check it out.

https://en.wikipedia.org...

So perhaps you have it backwards when you try to dismantle something by starting off with the premise that it is mythical. Just saying....

Since your post is obviously meant to mock believers in God, maybe you can take the lead and explain how energy came from nothing. In other words, explain to us how nothing made something?
Can you explain what nothing is?
Bwhahahahahahaha, have you been to the 1st grade yet.....this is a cowardly attempt at avoiding the fact you will argue an equvocation.
But nice pseudo philosophical inquiry.
OK genius explain nothing to us.

I would love to have a decent conversation with you bulproof, but you come in swinging.

Try doing that with anyone outside of a forum and in person, and see if they want to talk with you.

You make all these little claims and accusations, yet you really don't say anything at all.

If you want to talk, talk like a grown up.
I'm not making claims, you and others are and when requested to support those claims you run away screaming that I'm being childish.
You people get quite confused when confronted by facts, facts are beyond your modus operandi.

You still haven't said anything.

Whatever makes you tick I guess.
Skyangel
Posts: 8,234
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2016 3:25:25 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 1/3/2016 2:41:33 AM, Casten wrote:
They certainly exist in the human psyche.

But mythical characters do not physically exist as people, no. There is no Mount Olympus, and Hercules isn't up there, much as I would like him to be (and, if it matters, to look exactly like Kevin Sorbo).

I guess a lot of things make me allocate personages into mythology.

Do they have supernatural powers?
Are they depicted in stories that have the hallmarks of parable?
Are they in a Marvel movie? (Very handy.)
Is there no scientific or historical evidence that this person actually existed?
Are they depicted as godlike or larger than life?

People become aware of mythical characters the way anyone becomes aware of any character. Someone makes him or her up, and it catches on.

Humanity needs characters. Their lack of physical mass does not diminish their worth, in my opinion.

I agree with that. Mythical characters can be a valuable tool to teach many lessons.
However, I think it's a shame when people create and idolize characters with such high supernatural standards and powers that it is impossible for any person to follow those standards in reality.

Take the concept of the Jesus character setting an example to follow.
How many people on this planet today have the power to heal the sick by simply saying "Be healed" or the power to raise anyone from the dead after four days of being in a grave by saying "Come forth" How many can walk on water or fill vessels with water and end up with wine being poured out of them on the other end?
How many can fix an amputated limb like an ear by simply holding it back in place or make the lame walk by simply telling them "get up and walk "?
Following such an example is impossible in physical reality. Therefore I think it is ridiculous and childish to take the stories of a man with supernatural powers literally.
skipsaweirdo
Posts: 1,866
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2016 6:07:21 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 1/3/2016 1:26:47 AM, Skyangel wrote:
At 1/3/2016 12:47:08 AM, skipsaweirdo wrote:
At 1/3/2016 12:11:09 AM, Skyangel wrote:
At 1/2/2016 10:39:14 PM, skipsaweirdo wrote:
At 12/31/2015 10:24:23 PM, Skyangel wrote:
If they do, where do they exist and how do you recognise them as mythical?

If they do not, how does anyone become aware of them in order to label them as mythical?
Synonym for mythical, fictitious. Synonym for what you think is logic, opinion.

Are there any supernatural gods who are not fictitious in your opinion?
If so, please explain what logic or reasoning you use to separate the real gods from the fictitious ones?
You don't seem to have a grasp of what "the subject is". Let me explain my response so you stop convoluting my responses into something and instead address the actual meaning of the phrases and words I typed.
Mythical means fictitious, meaning your question is asinine and ignorant.
"Logic is your opinion" because, well , you apparently lack the ability to think in terms of logic in the numerous posts that I have had a pleasure of coming across so you seem to believe that stating an opinion constitutes reasonable or logical deductions on your part. Hint, it doesn't.

Neither does your opinion.
Your own words apply to you just as much as you think they apply to me.
Lack of ability to think logically ? Look in the mirror.
Geez, I was at least expecting something beyond "I know you are but what am I"......lol. You're actually entertaining in a twisted can't make an argument worth addressing kind of way.
skipsaweirdo
Posts: 1,866
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2016 6:09:21 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 1/3/2016 1:21:02 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 1/2/2016 10:36:25 PM, skipsaweirdo wrote:
At 1/2/2016 2:42:50 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 1/2/2016 2:34:22 AM, be_diligent wrote:
At 12/31/2015 10:24:23 PM, Skyangel wrote:
If they do, where do they exist and how do you recognise them as mythical?

If they do not, how does anyone become aware of them in order to label them as mythical?

I had an instructor many years ago in College who said that for every "mythical story," there is actually something behind it that is true.

He explained, (his opinion of course,) that every idea has to be introduced in order for it to spring into an actual or non-actual account. He brought up some of the most famous stories, like the story of Frankenstein, that had an actual human being behind the imaginary attributes of the book character.

I found a link to the story about it, if you want to check it out.

https://en.wikipedia.org...

So perhaps you have it backwards when you try to dismantle something by starting off with the premise that it is mythical. Just saying....

Since your post is obviously meant to mock believers in God, maybe you can take the lead and explain how energy came from nothing. In other words, explain to us how nothing made something?
Can you explain what nothing is?
Bwhahahahahahaha, have you been to the 1st grade yet.....this is a cowardly attempt at avoiding the fact you will argue an equvocation.
But nice pseudo philosophical inquiry.
OK genius explain nothing to us.

That should suffice. Understand?
Skyangel
Posts: 8,234
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2016 9:35:32 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 1/3/2016 6:07:21 AM, skipsaweirdo wrote:
At 1/3/2016 1:26:47 AM, Skyangel wrote:
At 1/3/2016 12:47:08 AM, skipsaweirdo wrote:
At 1/3/2016 12:11:09 AM, Skyangel wrote:
At 1/2/2016 10:39:14 PM, skipsaweirdo wrote:
At 12/31/2015 10:24:23 PM, Skyangel wrote:
If they do, where do they exist and how do you recognise them as mythical?

If they do not, how does anyone become aware of them in order to label them as mythical?
Synonym for mythical, fictitious. Synonym for what you think is logic, opinion.

Are there any supernatural gods who are not fictitious in your opinion?
If so, please explain what logic or reasoning you use to separate the real gods from the fictitious ones?
You don't seem to have a grasp of what "the subject is". Let me explain my response so you stop convoluting my responses into something and instead address the actual meaning of the phrases and words I typed.
Mythical means fictitious, meaning your question is asinine and ignorant.
"Logic is your opinion" because, well , you apparently lack the ability to think in terms of logic in the numerous posts that I have had a pleasure of coming across so you seem to believe that stating an opinion constitutes reasonable or logical deductions on your part. Hint, it doesn't.

Neither does your opinion.
Your own words apply to you just as much as you think they apply to me.
Lack of ability to think logically ? Look in the mirror.
Geez, I was at least expecting something beyond "I know you are but what am I"......lol. You're actually entertaining in a twisted can't make an argument worth addressing kind of way.

I am not the one avoiding the questions...
Are there any supernatural gods who are not fictitious in your opinion?
If so, please explain what logic or reasoning you use to separate the real gods from the fictitious ones?
annanicole
Posts: 19,787
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2016 9:53:54 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 1/2/2016 1:58:53 AM, Skyangel wrote:

No one got an answer?

It may be that no one cared enough to answer.
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."