Jump to topic:

What is worship?

janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2016 10:39:05 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
How do you "worship" a God or other being? I'm not entirely sure what that entails. I am curious.
DPMartin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2016 10:48:56 PM
Ask a 13 yr old girl that is infatuated by the latest teen pop star. That is true worship, misguided maybe, but true worship.

But in respect to adults worshiping, it usually entails respect honor trust and love for, will do anything for.
Casten
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2016 11:14:59 PM
Worship is praise and devotion to a higher being acknowledged to be greater than oneself.

To be honest, worship kind of creeps me out personally, but I can't deny that it's had a positive influence in the lives of many, and seems to push them to be better people. It can't be all bad.
ReformedPresbyterian72598
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2016 3:29:56 AM
At 1/1/2016 10:39:05 PM, janesix wrote:
How do you "worship" a God or other being? I'm not entirely sure what that entails. I am curious.

I think a better question to start with would be to ask what has this "god" demanded? You must ask: With what(singing, meditating/studying-the "doing" aspects) must I worship this God with? If you know with what in terms of your acts, then you must address your heart. In what way must I worship God with what He has given me?
By knowing what this god demands of you must know who this god is.
There is a loT to this and I wish you could understand how worship works with the way I see it, but it's complicated when you do not know why you are doing it.
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2016 3:48:02 AM

Worshipping God according to the bible entails all kinds of religious rituals, singing praises and bowing down or raising hands in surrender, attending religious gatherings, praying, etc.

Worshipping gods as in sports gods or entertainments god of this world, entails attending their events and cheering for them or at least being up to date with all their latest events. Hanging pictures of them on your walls so all your friends can see you idolize them and lift them up as some kind of standard to follow or dream about. You talk about them at every opportunity because they are the most important thing on your mind.
uncung
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2016 11:18:16 AM

in Islamic way we worship God by standing up, bowing, prostrating and sitting, entailed with chanting some sacred recitation.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2016 3:13:42 PM
At 1/1/2016 10:48:56 PM, DPMartin wrote:
Ask a 13 yr old girl that is infatuated by the latest teen pop star. That is true worship, misguided maybe, but true worship.

But in respect to adults worshiping, it usually entails respect honor trust and love for, will do anything for.

So, believers are all just adults with the mindset of an infatuated 13 year old girl? How sad is that.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
EtrnlVw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2016 8:11:09 PM

Worship is reverence and of course I'm sure you know what reverence means.

Worship is an attitude, an inward/outward expression- the feeling or expression of reverence and adoration.

I would say that it is almost an expression one cannot contain, in other words it's something that comes through in the way that is real, like when you love someone and no I'm not saying it is love necessarily, but that is how the expression takes place, naturally.
missmedic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2016 8:27:53 PM

To worship is an act of submission.
EtrnlVw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2016 8:44:50 PM
At 1/2/2016 8:27:53 PM, missmedic wrote:

Worship in the believer context is an attitude of reverence, submission is submission which can also relate to attitude, but I believe they are two separate actions.
Read my post above though you may have already...
EtrnlVw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2016 8:46:16 PM

This...
I would say that it is almost an expression one cannot contain, in other words it's something that comes through in the way that is real, like when you love someone and no I'm not saying it is love necessarily, but that is how the expression takes place, naturally.
missmedic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2016 12:53:02 AM
At 1/2/2016 8:46:16 PM, EtrnlVw wrote:

This...

Would you not have to know god to worship god?
Casten
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2016 1:04:00 AM

Well. Yes. That's the creepy bit for me. Too master/servant.

But I've actually talked to religious people who disagree -- they say worship is about "rejoicing." Their music sure sounds pretty joyful. I like that spin on it a lot better.
EtrnlVw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2016 3:52:29 PM
At 1/3/2016 12:53:02 AM, missmedic wrote:
At 1/2/2016 8:46:16 PM, EtrnlVw wrote:

This...

Would you not have to know god to worship god?

Answer that for yourself genius lol. That's the point of all this SPIRITUAL talk!! that's the point of a spiritual (connection with God) lifestyle and cultivation, read your Gospels sir...
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2016 4:27:04 PM

With the One True God, jehovah, it is very simple.

The one you truly worship is the one you obey, whether Jehovah with Righteousness in mind, or your own sinful inclinations, as so many do.

Romans 6:16American Standard Version (ASV)

16 Know ye not, that to whom ye present yourselves as servants unto obedience, his servants ye are whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness?

Your God is whoever, or whatever you obey.

It could even be yourself.