Total Posts:66|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

A New Challenge to Those who Deny the Bible

The_Anvil_Rings
Posts: 11
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2016 7:55:18 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
I cannot find any recent topics on anyone actually attempting to discredit the Bible, so I will make one. I will answer anyone who believes that there are discrepancies in the Bible. NOTE: If anyone believes that they have scientific evidence against the Bible, please make a new thread for it, as this one is only for alleged self-contradictions of the Bible.

I look forward to seeing your posts.
matt8800
Posts: 2,077
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2016 10:05:38 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
I can think of many but I'll start with a couple:

Snakes are unable to communicate via human language. They lack the larynx, tongue, lips, brain capacity, etc.

Bushes do not talk when they burn. This has never been observed by a credible source. While I am sure that nobody has ever conducted a lab experiment, I am sure one would confirm this.

There is no evidence to support that people are able to live in the stomach of a large fish for several days.

Why not conduct some experiments and settle it once and for all?

While I cannot prove that unicorns don't exist, I will take the position that they don't.
be_diligent
Posts: 399
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2016 10:13:18 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
How about starting a thread on closed mindedness. Science is even most open to discoveries that are beyond human understanding than atheists.

That would be a good thread.
be_diligent
Posts: 399
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2016 10:16:31 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
First example, the OP couldn't form an original thought, and decided to steal the title of another message string.
SNP1
Posts: 2,403
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2016 10:18:02 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 1/5/2016 7:55:18 PM, The_Anvil_Rings wrote:
I cannot find any recent topics on anyone actually attempting to discredit the Bible, so I will make one. I will answer anyone who believes that there are discrepancies in the Bible. NOTE: If anyone believes that they have scientific evidence against the Bible, please make a new thread for it, as this one is only for alleged self-contradictions of the Bible.

I look forward to seeing your posts.

Explain why the "authentic" Pauline Epistles propose salvation through faith (and even speaks out against works at points), but the other epistles and Luke-Acts include works as a requirement.

BTW, I already know the actual, historical answer. I am just curious of what theological, post-hoc justification you will come up with.
#TheApatheticNihilistPartyofAmerica
#WarOnDDO
The_Anvil_Rings
Posts: 11
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2016 10:24:31 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 1/5/2016 10:05:38 PM, matt8800 wrote:
I can think of many but I'll start with a couple:

Snakes are unable to communicate via human language. They lack the larynx, tongue, lips, brain capacity, etc.

Bushes do not talk when they burn. This has never been observed by a credible source. While I am sure that nobody has ever conducted a lab experiment, I am sure one would confirm this.

There is no evidence to support that people are able to live in the stomach of a large fish for several days.

Why not conduct some experiments and settle it once and for all?

While I cannot prove that unicorns don't exist, I will take the position that they don't.

Regarding the snake: the serpent in question was clearly possessed by Satan at that point in time, and there is no telling what such a being may be able to do. Also, there were physical aspects about the serpent that changed after God cursed it. I believe that the serpent could walk on legs, for why else would God have cursed it to crawl on its belly?

Regarding the bush: same answer as the first question. The particular bush of which you speak was obviously possessed by a spirit of the Lord, which caused something super natural to occur.

Regarding the whale/large fish: actually there is. We know that humans cannot survive much longer than 3 days without water, and that humans cannot survive much longer than 30 days without food. I assume Jonah was wearing clothing when he was swallowed, and I would say that a whale's belly is fairly warm. I believe that this covers the bare nessessities of life (food, clothing and shelter). Also, I don't believe that you have any evidence proving that a man could not survive in a large fishes stomach.

While you may not consider these valid points, until you can prove them invalid, they still stand. As I mentioned before, do not expect some scientific formula showing why the Bible is true from me. Only cold hard logical possibilities. And just because you believe something to be impossible doesn't mean that is is impossible. Just ask Columbus.
be_diligent
Posts: 399
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2016 10:25:02 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 1/5/2016 10:18:02 PM, SNP1 wrote:
At 1/5/2016 7:55:18 PM, The_Anvil_Rings wrote:
I cannot find any recent topics on anyone actually attempting to discredit the Bible, so I will make one. I will answer anyone who believes that there are discrepancies in the Bible. NOTE: If anyone believes that they have scientific evidence against the Bible, please make a new thread for it, as this one is only for alleged self-contradictions of the Bible.

I look forward to seeing your posts.

Explain why the "authentic" Pauline Epistles propose salvation through faith (and even speaks out against works at points), but the other epistles and Luke-Acts include works as a requirement.

BTW, I already know the actual, historical answer. I am just curious of what theological, post-hoc justification you will come up with.

I love this subject, could you produce the scriptures that you are referencing ? I'm guessing that they are most likely from Galatians.

That way we can take a complete biblical view of it.
The_Anvil_Rings
Posts: 11
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2016 10:34:56 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 1/5/2016 10:18:02 PM, SNP1 wrote:
At 1/5/2016 7:55:18 PM, The_Anvil_Rings wrote:
I cannot find any recent topics on anyone actually attempting to discredit the Bible, so I will make one. I will answer anyone who believes that there are discrepancies in the Bible. NOTE: If anyone believes that they have scientific evidence against the Bible, please make a new thread for it, as this one is only for alleged self-contradictions of the Bible.

I look forward to seeing your posts.

Explain why the "authentic" Pauline Epistles propose salvation through faith (and even speaks out against works at points), but the other epistles and Luke-Acts include works as a requirement.

BTW, I already know the actual, historical answer. I am just curious of what theological, post-hoc justification you will come up with.

I'm not sure what you mean by "authentic", or where you see that Paul speaks against works, but I will do my best to answer your question.

I love analogies, so here is one that pertaines to this question: Suppose you want to attend a certain college or university. You have a friend that went there, so you ask them what some of the requirements for admittance are. Your friend says that to get into that particular college, you have to have a GPA of 2.50 or greater. After this discussion, you go to the college's website and see that they require a GPA of 2.50 and that you are a state resident.

Was your friend wrong in this analogy when they told you that you needed a GPA of 2.50 or higher? Of course not!

It is that way with Paul and Luke in the NT as well. Paul speaks of what the people he writes to need to hear.
DanneJeRusse
Posts: 12,560
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2016 11:14:23 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 1/5/2016 10:24:31 PM, The_Anvil_Rings wrote:
At 1/5/2016 10:05:38 PM, matt8800 wrote:
I can think of many but I'll start with a couple:

Snakes are unable to communicate via human language. They lack the larynx, tongue, lips, brain capacity, etc.

Bushes do not talk when they burn. This has never been observed by a credible source. While I am sure that nobody has ever conducted a lab experiment, I am sure one would confirm this.

There is no evidence to support that people are able to live in the stomach of a large fish for several days.

Why not conduct some experiments and settle it once and for all?

While I cannot prove that unicorns don't exist, I will take the position that they don't.

Regarding the snake: the serpent in question was clearly possessed by Satan at that point in time, and there is no telling what such a being may be able to do. Also, there were physical aspects about the serpent that changed after God cursed it. I believe that the serpent could walk on legs, for why else would God have cursed it to crawl on its belly?

Regarding the bush: same answer as the first question. The particular bush of which you speak was obviously possessed by a spirit of the Lord, which caused something super natural to occur.

Regarding the whale/large fish: actually there is. We know that humans cannot survive much longer than 3 days without water, and that humans cannot survive much longer than 30 days without food. I assume Jonah was wearing clothing when he was swallowed, and I would say that a whale's belly is fairly warm. I believe that this covers the bare nessessities of life (food, clothing and shelter). Also, I don't believe that you have any evidence proving that a man could not survive in a large fishes stomach.

And, how does one breathe inside of a whale/fish? How does one survive in the bile liquid contained in the stomach?

While you may not consider these valid points, until you can prove them invalid, they still stand. As I mentioned before, do not expect some scientific formula showing why the Bible is true from me. Only cold hard logical possibilities. And just because you believe something to be impossible doesn't mean that is is impossible. Just ask Columbus.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
be_diligent
Posts: 399
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2016 11:54:42 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 1/5/2016 11:14:23 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:
At 1/5/2016 10:24:31 PM, The_Anvil_Rings wrote:
At 1/5/2016 10:05:38 PM, matt8800 wrote:
I can think of many but I'll start with a couple:

Snakes are unable to communicate via human language. They lack the larynx, tongue, lips, brain capacity, etc.

Bushes do not talk when they burn. This has never been observed by a credible source. While I am sure that nobody has ever conducted a lab experiment, I am sure one would confirm this.

There is no evidence to support that people are able to live in the stomach of a large fish for several days.

Why not conduct some experiments and settle it once and for all?

While I cannot prove that unicorns don't exist, I will take the position that they don't.

Regarding the snake: the serpent in question was clearly possessed by Satan at that point in time, and there is no telling what such a being may be able to do. Also, there were physical aspects about the serpent that changed after God cursed it. I believe that the serpent could walk on legs, for why else would God have cursed it to crawl on its belly?

Regarding the bush: same answer as the first question. The particular bush of which you speak was obviously possessed by a spirit of the Lord, which caused something super natural to occur.

Regarding the whale/large fish: actually there is. We know that humans cannot survive much longer than 3 days without water, and that humans cannot survive much longer than 30 days without food. I assume Jonah was wearing clothing when he was swallowed, and I would say that a whale's belly is fairly warm. I believe that this covers the bare nessessities of life (food, clothing and shelter). Also, I don't believe that you have any evidence proving that a man could not survive in a large fishes stomach.

And, how does one breathe inside of a whale/fish? How does one survive in the bile liquid contained in the stomach?

While you may not consider these valid points, until you can prove them invalid, they still stand. As I mentioned before, do not expect some scientific formula showing why the Bible is true from me. Only cold hard logical possibilities. And just because you believe something to be impossible doesn't mean that is is impossible. Just ask Columbus.

There's actually some very interesting biblical things that tie into this subject.

The root definition of "serpent," taken from the very first mention is this from Strong's.

05172 // vxn // nachash // naw-khash' //

a primitive root; TWOT - 1348; v

AV - enchantment 4, divine 2, enchanter 1, indeed 1, certainly 1,
learn by experience 1, diligently observe 1; 11

1) to practice divination, divine, observe signs, learn by experience,
diligently observe, practice fortunetelling, take as an omen
1a) (Piel)
1a1) to practice divination
1a2) to observe the signs or omens

Revelation 12:9 And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him.

The above verse uses the symbolic "dragon, along with "that old serpent..."

Dragon in that verse according to Strong's:

1404 // drakwn // drakon // drak'-own //

probably from an alternate form of derkomai (to look);
TDNT - 2:281,186; n m

AV - dragon 13; 13

1) a dragon, a great serpent, a name for Satan

It's symbolic.

Matthew 10:16, makes reference to it as well, but in way that shows that we should know the tactics of the enemy.

3789 // ofiv // ophis // of'-is //

probably from 3700 (through the idea of sharpness of vision);
TDNT - 5:566,748; n m

AV - serpent 14; 14

1) snake, serpent
2) with the ancients, the serpent was an emblem of cunning and wisdom.
The serpent who deceived Eve was regarded by the Jews as the devil.
skipsaweirdo
Posts: 1,861
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2016 1:18:14 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 1/5/2016 10:18:02 PM, SNP1 wrote:
At 1/5/2016 7:55:18 PM, The_Anvil_Rings wrote:
I cannot find any recent topics on anyone actually attempting to discredit the Bible, so I will make one. I will answer anyone who believes that there are discrepancies in the Bible. NOTE: If anyone believes that they have scientific evidence against the Bible, please make a new thread for it, as this one is only for alleged self-contradictions of the Bible.

I look forward to seeing your posts.

Explain why the "authentic" Pauline Epistles propose salvation through faith (and even speaks out against works at points), but the other epistles and Luke-Acts include works as a requirement.

BTW, I already know the actual, historical answer. I am just curious of what theological, post-hoc justification you will come up with.
You couldn't possibly understand logic with that ridiculous tenseless cosmological argument at the bottom of your posts. Modes ponens is the inference of a truth from acknowledged truths,none of which is the subject of that tenseless garbage. When you fail freshman logic courses and have to repeat them 3 times before learning to think logically comeback and make an argument. I jest, you're a genius , no really, seriously. Keep that tenseless cosmological personal opinion fallacy at the bottom of your posts. Makes you look formidable......lol
skipsaweirdo
Posts: 1,861
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2016 1:22:40 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 1/5/2016 10:05:38 PM, matt8800 wrote:
I can think of many but I'll start with a couple:

Snakes are unable to communicate via human language. They lack the larynx, tongue, lips, brain capacity, etc.
Umm you apparently missed the short bus the day everyone looked up internal contradiction, as the op. obviously refers to.
Bushes do not talk when they burn. This has never been observed by a credible source. While I am sure that nobody has ever conducted a lab experiment, I am sure one would confirm this.

There is no evidence to support that people are able to live in the stomach of a large fish for several days.

Why not conduct some experiments and settle it once and for all?

While I cannot prove that unicorns don't exist, I will take the position that they don't.
Ummm, this one makes you a real genius. No really, it's not like the definition of unicorn means ....having one horn. Oh wait, it does. Are there any animals with one horn...lets go to Alex for this one.......
matt8800
Posts: 2,077
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2016 1:25:36 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 1/5/2016 10:13:18 PM, be_diligent wrote:
How about starting a thread on closed mindedness. Science is even most open to discoveries that are beyond human understanding than atheists.

That would be a good thread.

To clarify, I am not an atheist. I am agnostic in that I don't know if a god exists which I feel is an honest and reasonable answer. I just don't believe in the Bible, the Book of Mormon, Scientology or any of the other religions.

If only one person believed these stories, they would be considered insane. If the masses believe it, it is religion.

I think am completely open minded to anything that has observable evidence. I reject faith without evidence as something that is a positive.
be_diligent
Posts: 399
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2016 2:17:27 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 1/6/2016 1:25:36 AM, matt8800 wrote:
At 1/5/2016 10:13:18 PM, be_diligent wrote:
How about starting a thread on closed mindedness. Science is even most open to discoveries that are beyond human understanding than atheists.

That would be a good thread.

To clarify, I am not an atheist. I am agnostic in that I don't know if a god exists which I feel is an honest and reasonable answer. I just don't believe in the Bible, the Book of Mormon, Scientology or any of the other religions.

If only one person believed these stories, they would be considered insane. If the masses believe it, it is religion.

I think am completely open minded to anything that has observable evidence. I reject faith without evidence as something that is a positive.

Well Matt, best of luck to you. You are in my prayers. (even if you don't believe.)
distraff
Posts: 999
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2016 4:43:36 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 1/5/2016 7:55:18 PM, The_Anvil_Rings wrote:
I cannot find any recent topics on anyone actually attempting to discredit the Bible, so I will make one. I will answer anyone who believes that there are discrepancies in the Bible. NOTE: If anyone believes that they have scientific evidence against the Bible, please make a new thread for it, as this one is only for alleged self-contradictions of the Bible.

I look forward to seeing your posts.

For a reference Israel was split into two Kingdoms at the time: Israel and Judah. The king of Judah at the time was Asa. The king of Israel was Baasha. He died and his son Elah took the throne. 1 Kings and 2 Chronicles contradict each other when trying to explain on which year of Asa's reign of Judah Baasha died and his son Elah took over. 1 Kings said it was on Asa's 26th year of reign when this happened. Yet 2 Chronicles is still talking about the old king Baasha doing stuff on Asa's 36th year of reign.

1 Kings 16
5 As for the other events of Baasha"s reign, what he did and his achievements, are they not written in the book of the annals of the kings of Israel? 6 Baasha rested with his ancestors and was buried in Tirzah. And Elah his son succeeded him as king.
7 Moreover, the word of the Lord came through the prophet Jehu son of Hanani to Baasha and his house, because of all the evil he had done in the eyes of the Lord, arousing his anger by the things he did, becoming like the house of Jeroboam"and also because he destroyed it.
8 In the twenty-sixth year of Asa king of Judah, Elah son of Baasha became king of Israel, and he reigned in Tirzah two years.

2 Chronicles 16
1 In the thirty-sixth year of Asa"s reign Baasha king of Israel went up against Judah and fortified Ramah to prevent anyone from leaving or entering the territory of Asa king of Judah.
Gentorev
Posts: 2,869
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2016 9:20:08 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 1/5/2016 10:05:38 PM, matt8800 wrote:
I can think of many but I'll start with a couple:

Snakes are unable to communicate via human language. They lack the larynx, tongue, lips, brain capacity, etc.

Bushes do not talk when they burn. This has never been observed by a credible source. While I am sure that nobody has ever conducted a lab experiment, I am sure one would confirm this.

There is no evidence to support that people are able to live in the stomach of a large fish for several days.

Why not conduct some experiments and settle it once and for all?

While I cannot prove that unicorns don't exist, I will take the position that they don't.

How big do these whales get? In 1933 a sulfur bottom whale was caught off the coast of cape cod it was 100 ft long and had a mouth over 10 foot wide. A man who was unfortunate enough to be swallowed could take refuge in any one of the whales stomach chambers, or the large cranial cavities (extensions of the nasal sinus) which measure 7 feet high, 7ft wide and 14 ft long. More than big enough for a man to hide safely inside.
The tongue, the sharp two edged sword that divides the spirit from the soul.
bulproof
Posts: 25,168
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2016 12:18:07 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 1/6/2016 9:20:08 AM, Gentorev wrote:
At 1/5/2016 10:05:38 PM, matt8800 wrote:
I can think of many but I'll start with a couple:

Snakes are unable to communicate via human language. They lack the larynx, tongue, lips, brain capacity, etc.

Bushes do not talk when they burn. This has never been observed by a credible source. While I am sure that nobody has ever conducted a lab experiment, I am sure one would confirm this.

There is no evidence to support that people are able to live in the stomach of a large fish for several days.

Why not conduct some experiments and settle it once and for all?

While I cannot prove that unicorns don't exist, I will take the position that they don't.

How big do these whales get? In 1933 a sulfur bottom whale was caught off the coast of cape cod it was 100 ft long and had a mouth over 10 foot wide. A man who was unfortunate enough to be swallowed could take refuge in any one of the whales stomach chambers, or the large cranial cavities (extensions of the nasal sinus) which measure 7 feet high, 7ft wide and 14 ft long. More than big enough for a man to hide safely inside.

How funny can you get?
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
The_Anvil_Rings
Posts: 11
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2016 1:28:09 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 1/6/2016 4:43:36 AM, distraff wrote:
At 1/5/2016 7:55:18 PM, The_Anvil_Rings wrote:
I cannot find any recent topics on anyone actually attempting to discredit the Bible, so I will make one. I will answer anyone who believes that there are discrepancies in the Bible. NOTE: If anyone believes that they have scientific evidence against the Bible, please make a new thread for it, as this one is only for alleged self-contradictions of the Bible.

I look forward to seeing your posts.

For a reference Israel was split into two Kingdoms at the time: Israel and Judah. The king of Judah at the time was Asa. The king of Israel was Baasha. He died and his son Elah took the throne. 1 Kings and 2 Chronicles contradict each other when trying to explain on which year of Asa's reign of Judah Baasha died and his son Elah took over. 1 Kings said it was on Asa's 26th year of reign when this happened. Yet 2 Chronicles is still talking about the old king Baasha doing stuff on Asa's 36th year of reign.

1 Kings 16
5 As for the other events of Baasha"s reign, what he did and his achievements, are they not written in the book of the annals of the kings of Israel? 6 Baasha rested with his ancestors and was buried in Tirzah. And Elah his son succeeded him as king.
7 Moreover, the word of the Lord came through the prophet Jehu son of Hanani to Baasha and his house, because of all the evil he had done in the eyes of the Lord, arousing his anger by the things he did, becoming like the house of Jeroboam"and also because he destroyed it.
8 In the twenty-sixth year of Asa king of Judah, Elah son of Baasha became king of Israel, and he reigned in Tirzah two years.

2 Chronicles 16
1 In the thirty-sixth year of Asa"s reign Baasha king of Israel went up against Judah and fortified Ramah to prevent anyone from leaving or entering the territory of Asa king of Judah.

Thank you. This is more what I am looking for. Not that ridiculous riffraff regarding possessed objects. ;-)

There are two possible solutions to this problem:

1. Some believe that it is a copyist error. While the Bible writers were inspired by God to write the books of the Bible, those that copied their writings were not. Some think that the numbers 36 (2 Chronicles 16:1) and 35 (15:19) were supposed to be 16 and 15, because a little smudge on a scroll would make the first digit look like a 3 in ancient Hebrew.

2. A second possibility is that the numbers may refer to the 35th and 36th years after the division of the United Kingdom (which would have been Asa's 15th and 16th years), rather than the 35th and 36th years of Asa's reign. This seems even more likely when we note that the Hebrew word for "reign" (malkuwth) can also mean "kingdom". Actually, 51 out of the 91 times this work appears in the KJV of the Old Testament, it is translated "kingdom".

Many Biblical apologists regard the second possibility as more likely, and a better answer, but whichever is the case, both provide possible solutions to the alleged problem that exists between the two passages. In no way should the differences that exist cause one to reject the Bible as God's inspired Word.
The_Anvil_Rings
Posts: 11
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2016 1:30:33 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 1/6/2016 12:18:07 PM, bulproof wrote:
At 1/6/2016 9:20:08 AM, Gentorev wrote:
At 1/5/2016 10:05:38 PM, matt8800 wrote:
I can think of many but I'll start with a couple:

Snakes are unable to communicate via human language. They lack the larynx, tongue, lips, brain capacity, etc.

Bushes do not talk when they burn. This has never been observed by a credible source. While I am sure that nobody has ever conducted a lab experiment, I am sure one would confirm this.

There is no evidence to support that people are able to live in the stomach of a large fish for several days.

Why not conduct some experiments and settle it once and for all?

While I cannot prove that unicorns don't exist, I will take the position that they don't.

How big do these whales get? In 1933 a sulfur bottom whale was caught off the coast of cape cod it was 100 ft long and had a mouth over 10 foot wide. A man who was unfortunate enough to be swallowed could take refuge in any one of the whales stomach chambers, or the large cranial cavities (extensions of the nasal sinus) which measure 7 feet high, 7ft wide and 14 ft long. More than big enough for a man to hide safely inside.

How funny can you get?

Actually, this is true. Also, we have found fossil evidence that many of the creatures we know today often had massive counterparts several thousand years ago. So I believe that if we have whales large enough to hold a man today, there were probably whales twice that size in the time of Jonah.
JJ50
Posts: 2,144
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2016 1:35:01 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 1/5/2016 7:55:18 PM, The_Anvil_Rings wrote:
I cannot find any recent topics on anyone actually attempting to discredit the Bible, so I will make one. I will answer anyone who believes that there are discrepancies in the Bible. NOTE: If anyone believes that they have scientific evidence against the Bible, please make a new thread for it, as this one is only for alleged self-contradictions of the Bible.

I look forward to seeing your posts.

The documents making up the Bible are a human creation with no input from any deity, imo, and you can't prove otherwise!
bulproof
Posts: 25,168
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2016 1:38:05 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 1/6/2016 1:30:33 PM, The_Anvil_Rings wrote:
At 1/6/2016 12:18:07 PM, bulproof wrote:
At 1/6/2016 9:20:08 AM, Gentorev wrote:
At 1/5/2016 10:05:38 PM, matt8800 wrote:
I can think of many but I'll start with a couple:

Snakes are unable to communicate via human language. They lack the larynx, tongue, lips, brain capacity, etc.

Bushes do not talk when they burn. This has never been observed by a credible source. While I am sure that nobody has ever conducted a lab experiment, I am sure one would confirm this.

There is no evidence to support that people are able to live in the stomach of a large fish for several days.

Why not conduct some experiments and settle it once and for all?

While I cannot prove that unicorns don't exist, I will take the position that they don't.

How big do these whales get? In 1933 a sulfur bottom whale was caught off the coast of cape cod it was 100 ft long and had a mouth over 10 foot wide. A man who was unfortunate enough to be swallowed could take refuge in any one of the whales stomach chambers, or the large cranial cavities (extensions of the nasal sinus) which measure 7 feet high, 7ft wide and 14 ft long. More than big enough for a man to hide safely inside.

How funny can you get?

Actually, this is true. Also, we have found fossil evidence that many of the creatures we know today often had massive counterparts several thousand years ago. So I believe that if we have whales large enough to hold a man today, there were probably whales twice that size in the time of Jonah.

No you don't child. You are being informed by your uninformed pastor.
Try reading some science when your ignorant parents aren't watching.
Just for you you investigate, there is not a scrap of archaeological evidence that millions of people and livestock ever set foot in the Sinai desert much less wandered it for forty years.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
ken1122
Posts: 458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2016 1:50:38 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 1/6/2016 9:20:08 AM, Gentorev wrote:
At 1/5/2016 10:05:38 PM, matt8800 wrote:
I can think of many but I'll start with a couple:

Snakes are unable to communicate via human language. They lack the larynx, tongue, lips, brain capacity, etc.

Bushes do not talk when they burn. This has never been observed by a credible source. While I am sure that nobody has ever conducted a lab experiment, I am sure one would confirm this.

There is no evidence to support that people are able to live in the stomach of a large fish for several days.

Why not conduct some experiments and settle it once and for all?

While I cannot prove that unicorns don't exist, I will take the position that they don't.

How big do these whales get? In 1933 a sulfur bottom whale was caught off the coast of cape cod it was 100 ft long and had a mouth over 10 foot wide. A man who was unfortunate enough to be swallowed could take refuge in any one of the whales stomach chambers, or the large cranial cavities (extensions of the nasal sinus) which measure 7 feet high, 7ft wide and 14 ft long. More than big enough for a man to hide safely inside.

A whale's throat isn't big enough to allow a human to pass because whales don't eat things as big as humans. Also whales don't have air in their bellies. how can a man survive in the belly of a whale without any air supply?

Ken
MadCornishBiker
Posts: 23,302
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2016 4:11:05 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 1/5/2016 7:55:18 PM, The_Anvil_Rings wrote:
I cannot find any recent topics on anyone actually attempting to discredit the Bible, so I will make one. I will answer anyone who believes that there are discrepancies in the Bible. NOTE: If anyone believes that they have scientific evidence against the Bible, please make a new thread for it, as this one is only for alleged self-contradictions of the Bible.

I look forward to seeing your posts.

There are no self-contradictions in scripture.

There are mistranslations, misinterpretations and misapplications, but as the word of God it cannot and does not contradict itself.

I have yet to find one apparent contradiction amongst the hundreds people have shown me that cannot be explained by their own ignorance.
bulproof
Posts: 25,168
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2016 4:24:11 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 1/6/2016 4:11:05 PM, MadCornishBiker wrote:
At 1/5/2016 7:55:18 PM, The_Anvil_Rings wrote:
I cannot find any recent topics on anyone actually attempting to discredit the Bible, so I will make one. I will answer anyone who believes that there are discrepancies in the Bible. NOTE: If anyone believes that they have scientific evidence against the Bible, please make a new thread for it, as this one is only for alleged self-contradictions of the Bible.

I look forward to seeing your posts.

There are no self-contradictions in scripture.

There are mistranslations, misinterpretations and misapplications, but as the word of God it cannot and does not contradict itself.

I have yet to find one apparent contradiction amongst the hundreds people have shown me that cannot be explained by their own ignorance.

Yeah Yeah the simplest of all.
He hung himself.
He walked to the field and burst open.
F*ck you're dumb.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
12_13
Posts: 1,361
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2016 8:22:46 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 1/5/2016 10:18:02 PM, SNP1 wrote:
Explain why the "authentic" Pauline Epistles propose salvation through faith (and even speaks out against works at points), but the other epistles and Luke-Acts include works as a requirement.

Paul only says that salvation can"t be gained by works as it is also with the rest of the Bible. Forgiveness is free and there is nothing that person can do to deserve it. It doesn"t mean that works are then meaningless or that people should not do what is right.

Paul also teaches that person can"t become righteous by works, which is also true, because righteous works are just result of righteous mind.

He who does righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous. He who sins is of the devil, for the devil has been sinning from the beginning. To this end the Son of God was revealed, that he might destroy the works of the devil. Whoever is born of God doesn't commit sin, because his seed remains in him; and he can't sin, because he is born of God. In this the children of God are revealed, and the children of the devil. Whoever doesn't do righteousness is not of God, neither is he who doesn't love his brother.
1 John 3:7-10
Gentorev
Posts: 2,869
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2016 9:02:47 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 1/6/2016 1:50:38 PM, ken1122 wrote:
At 1/6/2016 9:20:08 AM, Gentorev wrote:
At 1/5/2016 10:05:38 PM, matt8800 wrote:
I can think of many but I'll start with a couple:

Snakes are unable to communicate via human language. They lack the larynx, tongue, lips, brain capacity, etc.

Bushes do not talk when they burn. This has never been observed by a credible source. While I am sure that nobody has ever conducted a lab experiment, I am sure one would confirm this.

There is no evidence to support that people are able to live in the stomach of a large fish for several days.

Why not conduct some experiments and settle it once and for all?

While I cannot prove that unicorns don't exist, I will take the position that they don't.

How big do these whales get? In 1933 a sulfur bottom whale was caught off the coast of cape cod it was 100 ft long and had a mouth over 10 foot wide. A man who was unfortunate enough to be swallowed could take refuge in any one of the whales stomach chambers, or the large cranial cavities (extensions of the nasal sinus) which measure 7 feet high, 7ft wide and 14 ft long. More than big enough for a man to hide safely inside.

A whale's throat isn't big enough to allow a human to pass because whales don't eat things as big as humans. Also whales don't have air in their bellies. how can a man survive in the belly of a whale without any air supply?

Ken

Read post #17.
The tongue, the sharp two edged sword that divides the spirit from the soul.
MadCornishBiker
Posts: 23,302
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2016 9:32:37 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 1/6/2016 4:24:11 PM, bulproof wrote:
At 1/6/2016 4:11:05 PM, MadCornishBiker wrote:
At 1/5/2016 7:55:18 PM, The_Anvil_Rings wrote:
I cannot find any recent topics on anyone actually attempting to discredit the Bible, so I will make one. I will answer anyone who believes that there are discrepancies in the Bible. NOTE: If anyone believes that they have scientific evidence against the Bible, please make a new thread for it, as this one is only for alleged self-contradictions of the Bible.

I look forward to seeing your posts.

There are no self-contradictions in scripture.

There are mistranslations, misinterpretations and misapplications, but as the word of God it cannot and does not contradict itself.

I have yet to find one apparent contradiction amongst the hundreds people have shown me that cannot be explained by their own ignorance.

Yeah Yeah the simplest of all.
He hung himself.
He walked to the field and burst open.
F*ck you're dumb.

That is not what scripturesays.

It doesn't say he walked into the field, so it is not hard for those with more than two functioning brain cells to put the two together and see they are each telling the same story from a different angle.

Don;t you know that only dead meat is hung?

Humans are hanged.

Many people have hanged themselves and lived, maybe Judas would have had he not hanged himself over a drop.

Niether account says how he died.

Judas hung himself, something broke and he tumbled into the field.

Whether he was dead before he landed in the field or after is not said.

You call me dumb but you can't even work that minor detail out.

But then this has been explained to you before but apparently you have a problem retaining knowledge.
ken1122
Posts: 458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2016 12:28:28 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 1/6/2016 9:02:47 PM, Gentorev wrote:
At 1/6/2016 1:50:38 PM, ken1122 wrote:
At 1/6/2016 9:20:08 AM, Gentorev wrote:
At 1/5/2016 10:05:38 PM, matt8800 wrote:
I can think of many but I'll start with a couple:

Snakes are unable to communicate via human language. They lack the larynx, tongue, lips, brain capacity, etc.

Bushes do not talk when they burn. This has never been observed by a credible source. While I am sure that nobody has ever conducted a lab experiment, I am sure one would confirm this.

There is no evidence to support that people are able to live in the stomach of a large fish for several days.

Why not conduct some experiments and settle it once and for all?

While I cannot prove that unicorns don't exist, I will take the position that they don't.

How big do these whales get? In 1933 a sulfur bottom whale was caught off the coast of cape cod it was 100 ft long and had a mouth over 10 foot wide. A man who was unfortunate enough to be swallowed could take refuge in any one of the whales stomach chambers, or the large cranial cavities (extensions of the nasal sinus) which measure 7 feet high, 7ft wide and 14 ft long. More than big enough for a man to hide safely inside.

A whale's throat isn't big enough to allow a human to pass because whales don't eat things as big as humans. Also whales don't have air in their bellies. how can a man survive in the belly of a whale without any air supply?

Ken

Read post #17.

Post #17 only address the size of the Whale's mouth, and stomach size. It doesn't address the small throat or the lack of air inside the whale.

Ken
ken1122
Posts: 458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2016 12:34:08 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 1/6/2016 9:02:47 PM, Gentorev wrote:
At 1/6/2016 1:50:38 PM, ken1122 wrote:
At 1/6/2016 9:20:08 AM, Gentorev wrote:
At 1/5/2016 10:05:38 PM, matt8800 wrote:
I can think of many but I'll start with a couple:

Snakes are unable to communicate via human language. They lack the larynx, tongue, lips, brain capacity, etc.

Bushes do not talk when they burn. This has never been observed by a credible source. While I am sure that nobody has ever conducted a lab experiment, I am sure one would confirm this.

There is no evidence to support that people are able to live in the stomach of a large fish for several days.

Why not conduct some experiments and settle it once and for all?

While I cannot prove that unicorns don't exist, I will take the position that they don't.

How big do these whales get? In 1933 a sulfur bottom whale was caught off the coast of cape cod it was 100 ft long and had a mouth over 10 foot wide. A man who was unfortunate enough to be swallowed could take refuge in any one of the whales stomach chambers, or the large cranial cavities (extensions of the nasal sinus) which measure 7 feet high, 7ft wide and 14 ft long. More than big enough for a man to hide safely inside.

A whale's throat isn't big enough to allow a human to pass because whales don't eat things as big as humans. Also whales don't have air in their bellies. how can a man survive in the belly of a whale without any air supply?

Ken

Read post #17.
Post #17 only address the size of the Whale's mouth, and stomach size. It doesn't address the small throat or the lack of air inside the whale.

Ken