Will God Help Me If I Pray?

Timothex_JJ
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2016 7:35:22 PM
Posted: 11 months ago

Yes, God helps those who sincerely ask for things that are in harmony with his will. Even if you haven't prayed before.

God listens to all who come to him with the right attitude, such as those who are "broken at heart" or "crushed in spirit." (Psalm 34:18)

You need not fear that God is so distant that he is not concerned with your problems. The Bible says: "Jehovah is high, and yet the humble one he sees; but the lofty one he knows only from a distance." (Psalm 138:6) In fact, Jesus once told his disciples: "The very hairs of your head are all numbered." (Matthew 10:30) God observes details about you that even you are not aware of. How much more, then, will he listen if you pray for his help with your anxieties! (1 Peter 5:7)

What Can I Pray For?

You can pray for anything that is in harmony with God's requirements as stated in the Bible. "No matter what it is that we ask according to [God's] will, he hears us." (1 John 5:14) Can you mention your personal concerns? Yes. The Bible says: "Before [God] pour out your heart." (Psalm 62:8)

Examples of what to pray for:

Faith in God. (Luke 17:5)

Holy spirit, or God's active force, to help you do what is right. (Luke 11:13)

Strength to deal with troubles and to resist temptation. (Philippians 4:13)

Inner peace or calmness. (Philippians 4:6, 7)

Wisdom to make good decisions. (James 1:5)

Help with daily needs. (Matthew 6:11)

Forgiveness of sins. (Matthew 6:12)

Why Does God Reject Some Prayers?

There are some prayers that God does not answer. Consider two factors that would cause God to ignore a person's prayer.

1. The prayer goes against God's will

God does not answer requests that go against his will, or his requirements, which are in the Bible. (1 John 5:14) For example, the Bible requires that we avoid being greedy. Gambling promotes greed. (1 Corinthians 6:9, 10) So, God will not answer your prayer if you pray to win the lottery. God is not a genie that you can summon to do your bidding. Actually, you can be thankful for this. Otherwise, you might have to fear what others could ask God to do. (James 4:3)

2. The person praying acts rebelliously

God does not listen to those who are determined to offend him by their actions. For example, God told those who claimed to serve him but acted rebelliously: "Even though you make many prayers, I am not listening; with bloodshed your very hands have become filled." (Isaiah 1:15) But if they had changed their ways and "set matters straight" with God, he would have listened when they prayed to him. (Isaiah 1:18)

We must pray to God in Jesus' name because this is the only way God has approved for us to approach Him. Jesus said: "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." (John 14:6) Jesus also told his faithful apostles: "Most truly I say to you, If you ask the Father for anything he will give it to you in my name." (John 16:23)

Why Pray? Will God Answer Me?

Yes, he will. Both the Bible and real-life experience show that God answers prayers. The Bible says: "The desire of those loving [God] he will perform, and their cry for help he will hear, and he will save them." (Psalm 145:19) But whether God will answer you when you pray is largely up to you.

What matters to God

Praying to God, not to Jesus, Mary, saints, angels, or images. Only Jehovah God is the "Hearer of prayer." (Psalm 65:2)

Praying in harmony with God's will, or requirements, which are found in the Bible. (1 John 5:14)

Praying in Jesus' name, recognizing his authority. "No one comes to the Father except through me," said Jesus. (John 14:6)

Praying in faith, asking for more faith if needed. (Matthew 21:22; Luke 17:5)

Being humble and sincere. The Bible says: "Jehovah is high, and yet the humble one he sees." (Psalm 138:6)

Being persistent. Jesus said: "Keep on asking, and it will be given you." (Luke 11:9)

What doesn't matter to God

Your race or nationality. "God is not partial, but in every nation the man that fears him and works righteousness is acceptable to him." (Acts 10:34, 35)

Your bodily position or posture. You can pray to God while sitting, bowing, kneeling, or standing. (1 Chronicles 17:16 - Nehemiah 8:6 - Daniel 6:10 - Mark 11:25)

Whether you pray aloud or silently. God answers even silent prayers that others aren't aware of. (Nehemiah 2:1-6)

Whether your concerns are weighty or trivial. God encourages you to "throw all your anxiety upon him, because he cares for you." (1 Peter 5:7)

Why Pray in Jesus' Name?

We must pray to God in Jesus' name because this is the only way God has approved for us to approach Him. Jesus said: "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." (John 14:6) Jesus also told his faithful apostles: "Most truly I say to you, If you ask the Father for anything he will give it to you in my name." (John 16:23)

More reasons to pray in Jesus' name

We honor Jesus and his Father, Jehovah God. (Philippians 2:9-11)

We show that we appreciate Jesus' death as God's provision for our salvation. (Matthew 20:28 - Acts 4:12)

We recognize Jesus' unique role as Intercessor between God and men. (Hebrews 7:25)

We respect Jesus' service as the High Priest who can help us gain a good standing with God. (Hebrews 4:14-16)

https://www.jw.org...
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2016 7:39:16 PM
At 1/6/2016 7:35:22 PM, Timothex_JJ wrote:

Yes, God helps those who sincerely ask for things that are in harmony with his will. Even if you haven't prayed before.

God listens to all who come to him with the right attitude, such as those who are "broken at heart" or "crushed in spirit." (Psalm 34:18)

You need not fear that God is so distant that he is not concerned with your problems. The Bible says: "Jehovah is high, and yet the humble one he sees; but the lofty one he knows only from a distance." (Psalm 138:6) In fact, Jesus once told his disciples: "The very hairs of your head are all numbered." (Matthew 10:30) God observes details about you that even you are not aware of. How much more, then, will he listen if you pray for his help with your anxieties! (1 Peter 5:7)

What Can I Pray For?

You can pray for anything that is in harmony with God's requirements as stated in the Bible. "No matter what it is that we ask according to [God's] will, he hears us." (1 John 5:14) Can you mention your personal concerns? Yes. The Bible says: "Before [God] pour out your heart." (Psalm 62:8)

There are some prayers that God does not answer. Consider two factors that would cause God to ignore a person's prayer.

God does not answer requests that go against his will, or his requirements, which are in the Bible. (1 John 5:14) For example, the Bible requires that we avoid being greedy. Gambling promotes greed. (1 Corinthians 6:9, 10) So, God will not answer your prayer if you pray to win the lottery. God is not a genie that you can summon to do your bidding. Actually, you can be thankful for this. Otherwise, you might have to fear what others could ask God to do. (James 4:3)

God does not listen to those who are determined to offend him by their actions. For example, God told those who claimed to serve him but acted rebelliously: "Even though you make many prayers, I am not listening; with bloodshed your very hands have become filled." (Isaiah 1:15) But if they had changed their ways and "set matters straight" with God, he would have listened when they prayed to him. (Isaiah 1:18)

Yes, he will. Both the Bible and real-life experience show that God answers prayers. The Bible says: "The desire of those loving [God] he will perform, and their cry for help he will hear, and he will save them." (Psalm 145:19) But whether God will answer you when you pray is largely up to you.

What matters to God

Praying to God, not to Jesus, Mary, saints, angels, or images. Only Jehovah God is the "Hearer of prayer." (Psalm 65:2)

Praying in harmony with God's will, or requirements, which are found in the Bible. (1 John 5:14)

Praying in Jesus' name, recognizing his authority. "No one comes to the Father except through me," said Jesus. (John 14:6)

Being humble and sincere. The Bible says: "Jehovah is high, and yet the humble one he sees." (Psalm 138:6)

Being persistent. Jesus said: "Keep on asking, and it will be given you." (Luke 11:9)

Your race or nationality. "God is not partial, but in every nation the man that fears him and works righteousness is acceptable to him." (Acts 10:34, 35)

Your bodily position or posture. You can pray to God while sitting, bowing, kneeling, or standing. (1 Chronicles 17:16 - Nehemiah 8:6 - Daniel 6:10 - Mark 11:25)

Whether you pray aloud or silently. God answers even silent prayers that others aren't aware of. (Nehemiah 2:1-6)

Whether your concerns are weighty or trivial. God encourages you to "throw all your anxiety upon him, because he cares for you." (1 Peter 5:7)

Why Pray in Jesus' Name?

We show that we appreciate Jesus' death as God's provision for our salvation. (Matthew 20:28 - Acts 4:12)

We recognize Jesus' unique role as Intercessor between God and men. (Hebrews 7:25)

We respect Jesus' service as the High Priest who can help us gain a good standing with God. (Hebrews 4:14-16)

All I can say is good luck. The record of actual and confirmed answered prayers is pretty dismal.
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2016 9:14:48 PM

Sure if you ask for things like rain or sunshine or for your enemies to die. You will definitely get those answers eventually. Not always immediately but eventually.
Mother Nature answers the very same prayers.

A broken heart is a right attitude? A crushed spirit is a right attitude?
In other words you need to be a state of desperation to come to God?
be_diligent
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2016 9:39:47 PM
At 1/6/2016 9:14:48 PM, Skyangel wrote:

Sure if you ask for things like rain or sunshine or for your enemies to die. You will definitely get those answers eventually. Not always immediately but eventually.

That take on it only applies to you, as that is how your mind works.

It comes down to pride.

You just don't know when to stop.
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2016 10:31:49 PM
At 1/6/2016 9:39:47 PM, be_diligent wrote:

It comes down to pride.

I will never stop telling the truth of how I see things. Does the truth of my perception bother you ?
Timothex_JJ
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2016 10:46:47 PM

It means that if you're a pompous, arrogant person then Jehovah is less likely to be inclined to listen / help you. It pleases me greatly to know the grand creator of the universe is there to assist those in-need. Remember God is love so he feels great affection for people who are suffering.
be_diligent
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2016 10:47:19 PM
At 1/6/2016 10:31:49 PM, Skyangel wrote:

It comes down to pride.

I will never stop telling the truth of how I see things. Does the truth of my perception bother you ?

What you say here is actually correct. You base everything on your own perceptions.

Your "perceptions," are not uncommon or so special that I haven't heard them before.

In fact, nothing that you have said has caused me to go, "wow, what a self- perceptive individual." I'm truly not impressed.

I am however, more concerned about you.
Jovian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2016 10:49:28 PM
Something I, as a scepticist to all religions, really wonder is: How do you pray and how do you not pray, according to the teachings?

Do you have to have your hands closed all the time? If so, why, do your hands intertwined function as some kind of radio transmitter?

Do you have to voice out your prayer by your mouth? If so, why? Would you be given an exception if you think the prayer in your head instead, for example in situations when you will become killed if you are a Christian, say if you are a captive in North Korea (where they kill them often)?

If God could hear prayers which are spoken out, does he hear everything humans talk about? If so, if I tell my friend about a big quarrel I have with my wife, will God hear this and still solve the quarrel fully or somehow, even if I talked about it as a thing I wanted to share with my friend, and not as a prayer to God? Does he need to have prayers directed towards him for making the prayers legitimate?

If God would help me in the quarrel because he heard it when I talked about it with my friend, how religious would I have to be for that to happen? Would I have to go to church every Sunday? Am I counted as religious if I call myself religious, and do that often? Or does it simply count to have a thought in the brain going "I believe in God"? How would it be (in a Christian viewpoint) if I was for example a Muslim instead? Would he still help me even though I wasn't a Christian? If yes, would me being at least religious be more likely that he would help me than if I were an atheist or an agnostic?

If it's good enough to think the prayer in your head, does God hear everything we think about? If so, would God watch us or even punish us when we think about sinful thoughts, or does he give a carte blanche about thinking thoughts as long as one doesn't react upon them? Also the quarrel question, if I think in my head "Ooh I'm so sad that me and my wife are doing this quarrel", would God interfere in it even though I didn't think the thought "God, help me with this"? If yes, the same question for the outspoken words would be here aswell. How religious would I have to be for that to happen?

Wow, how indeed much I have been writing in this post. But well, in the religious aspect, no one of these questions would be an illegitimate one.
be_diligent
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2016 11:11:00 PM
At 1/6/2016 10:49:28 PM, Jovian wrote:
Something I, as a scepticist to all religions, really wonder is: How do you pray and how do you not pray, according to the teachings?

Do you have to have your hands closed all the time? If so, why, do your hands intertwined function as some kind of radio transmitter?

Do you have to voice out your prayer by your mouth? If so, why? Would you be given an exception if you think the prayer in your head instead, for example in situations when you will become killed if you are a Christian, say if you are a captive in North Korea (where they kill them often)?

If God could hear prayers which are spoken out, does he hear everything humans talk about? If so, if I tell my friend about a big quarrel I have with my wife, will God hear this and still solve the quarrel fully or somehow, even if I talked about it as a thing I wanted to share with my friend, and not as a prayer to God? Does he need to have prayers directed towards him for making the prayers legitimate?

If God would help me in the quarrel because he heard it when I talked about it with my friend, how religious would I have to be for that to happen? Would I have to go to church every Sunday? Am I counted as religious if I call myself religious, and do that often? Or does it simply count to have a thought in the brain going "I believe in God"? How would it be (in a Christian viewpoint) if I was for example a Muslim instead? Would he still help me even though I wasn't a Christian? If yes, would me being at least religious be more likely that he would help me than if I were an atheist or an agnostic?

If it's good enough to think the prayer in your head, does God hear everything we think about? If so, would God watch us or even punish us when we think about sinful thoughts, or does he give a carte blanche about thinking thoughts as long as one doesn't react upon them? Also the quarrel question, if I think in my head "Ooh I'm so sad that me and my wife are doing this quarrel", would God interfere in it even though I didn't think the thought "God, help me with this"? If yes, the same question for the outspoken words would be here aswell. How religious would I have to be for that to happen?

Wow, how indeed much I have been writing in this post. But well, in the religious aspect, no one of these questions would be an illegitimate one.

Jovian,

Prayer is a heart matter.

There are not rules about praying out loud or crossing your hands. I've never met a Christian that believes that the folding of hands is some sort of "transmitter."

Here is a verse for reference.

1 Samuel 16:7 But the LORD said unto Samuel, Look not on his countenance, or on the height of his stature; because I have refused him: for the LORD seeth not as man seeth; for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the LORD looketh on the heart.

Psalms 139:2 Thou knowest my downsitting and mine uprising, thou understandest my thought afar off.

Luke 8:17 For nothing is secret, that shall not be made manifest; neither any thing hid, that shall not be known and come abroad.

So to answer your question. God knows our thoughts, He knows every detail about us, even the number of hairs on our heads.

A person can pray while driving a car, walking, shopping, working....etc.

Kneeling is more of an act of being humble in His presence.

I hope that helps.
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2016 12:11:08 AM
At 1/6/2016 10:46:47 PM, Timothex_JJ wrote:

It means that if you're a pompous, arrogant person then Jehovah is less likely to be inclined to listen / help you. It pleases me greatly to know the grand creator of the universe is there to assist those in-need. Remember God is love so he feels great affection for people who are suffering.

He allows suffering instead of annihilating it. He allowed Job to suffer greatly for what? To prove a point to the devil ? Why did God feel he needed to prove anything to the devil ?
He creates evil by not stopping it. It is like a person who has the power to stop wars not stopping them because they want the suffering people to crawl to them on their hands and knees to beg for help and beg them to stop the war. Even then he refuses to stop it but continues to allow it to go on so more suffering people will submit to him and cry out for help.

Isaiah 45:7 I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2016 12:28:10 AM
At 1/6/2016 10:47:19 PM, be_diligent wrote:
At 1/6/2016 10:31:49 PM, Skyangel wrote:

It comes down to pride.

What you say here is actually correct. You base everything on your own perceptions.

All people do. They all see things how they see them and can't see them any other way unless they make a determined effort to see from someone elses point of view. Most believe themselves more than anyone else.

Your "perceptions," are not uncommon or so special that I haven't heard them before.
That's interesting. Where and from whom have you heard it before? Who has the same perceptions as I do in your opinion? please introduce me to the people who think the same as I do. I have only ever met one on the internet and even then it took us approx ten years to understand each other. Do you have that much patience to get to know anyone on the net?

In fact, nothing that you have said has caused me to go, "wow, what a self- perceptive individual." I'm truly not impressed.

Why are you concerned with growing? A seed needs to die before it grows and bears fruit. John 12:24
Have you died yet?
I die daily. I am crucified daily by people such as you. I am not here to impress you, Just to feed you so feel free to chew me up and spit me out as you wish. I am the bread of life.

I am however, more concerned about you.

No need to concern yourself with a dead person unless you wish to raise me from the dead? Do you have the power to do that?
Of course not.
So please continue to rip the bread apart and feed it to the dogs as much as you want if you don't think it is good enough to eat yourself.
WAM
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2016 12:32:41 AM

The most stupid thing I could imagine.... You pray because you have faith in God. If you have to pray to have faith in God, there is something very wrong with your belief system.

So basically if one has no (or little) faith in God and then prays to God (in whom they have no faith, why'd you pray if you have no faith in the first place), they for some reason will be 'given' faith? That's like 0+0=1...
Redfordnutt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2016 3:10:21 AM

What Can I Pray For?

What matters to God

Why Pray in Jesus' Name?

True story it was mid July and I was in Paris, I prayed with all my might for there to be snow for 3 consecutive days and nights. No snow came. But as a fair and rational guy I thought maybe God was too busy to answer my prayers of the last few days, so I gave him another chance and a little more time, and what do you know it snowed! Granted it took God six months to answer my prayer but acts like these are truly devine and absolute proof of the validity of prayer😐